closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling TV ad

Blog Entries

Breitling TV ad

Breitling are running an advert for the Navitimer on BT Sport and IMO it is absolute rubbish although the bird in the short shorts fills the screen nicely

I had to watch it a couple of times as I thought I must be missing something. How can a luxury item have such a cheap looking and tacky advert!? I certainly wouldn't buy one on the back of that!

Enjoyed the females. Was there a watch being advertised, must have missed that part!

Master
    Working in branding I can be extremely critical of such things. In this instance I'm glad it's not just me that noticed how awful this advert is.

It's like a benny hill sketch. Outdated, low brow, amateur, cheap... I could go on. Really does the brand no favours.

I thought it really was very very average.

Craftsman
    I've always fancied a mustard seawolf but must admit the advert put me off. Whereas the hilarious polo red advert was clear parody this advert was a paradox. A great strong brand making fabulous tool watches that are very marketable somehow being associated with a tawdry advert. It should be the other way round surely? The advert definitely put me off and I love Breitlings.

I've watched it several times and can't see anything wrong with it at all.

Master
    Wow. Classy that is not.

Master
    Not exactly a sophisticated ad

Has Breitling been bought out by the Lynx deodorant guys? Ad look vaguely similar.

Quote Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
    Has Breitling been bought out by the Lynx deodorant guys? Ad look vaguely similar.
    Ha ha true, although they do, at least, exhibit a knowing sense of their own absurdity.

M.

Craftsman
    I'm truly astounded at how cheesy and sexist the ad is and wonder just who their target audience is, because it seems completely at odds with the cost of their goods.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    I'm truly astounded at how cheesy and sexist the ad is and wonder just who their target audience is, because it seems completely at odds with the cost of their goods.
    It also seems completely at odds with their own company tagline!

Craftsman
    Definitely looks cheap to say the least! I'm surprised breitling approved this ad for what is surely one of their most popular and sophisticated models

It looks dated both in narrative and in execution and even when new it needed another 200k thrown at at it on production. I was going to say that the creatives need shooting too but these days everything is client led so I expect somebody high up in breitling had an 'amazing idea' and a weak account director said yes.

It's a real turkey.

Journeyman
    complete rubbish, they should start learning from Volvo how to make good ads.

Quote Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
    Lynx is mostly bought by mothers on behalf of their teenage sons. It's too early in the morning for me to work out the implications as to who this advert is going to be encouraging, but I feel the word adolescent will carry over.

I liked it, but not as a Breitling ad, as a bit of toungue in cheek boys own fun. But then I personally don't see where the cartoon type posters and background cards in ADs fits either. Expensive watches with mismatched advertising.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Working in branding I can be extremely critical of such things. In this instance I'm glad it's not just me that noticed how awful this advert is.

It's like a benny hill sketch. Outdated, low brow, amateur, cheap... I could go on. Really does the brand no favours.
    I worked in marketing for a number of luxury consumer goods companies before running screaming for the door because I'd had enough. Breitling has some form here - I've seen a number of their TV offerings that look like cutting-room floor edits from Top Gun. And not a hint of irony to be detected anywhere. Which means the Americans will love it.

In general terms, watch companies shy away from TV as a medium for obvious reasons; too mainstream and your 30 sec masterpiece will probably end up sandwiched in between car insurance and fizzy lager. That said, their print ads are spectacularly po-faced and I've always thought they could do something far more interesting and imaginative than retouched-to-death images of celebrity endorsers or random dewy-skinned models living the luxury lifestyle dream. I interviewed for a senior marketing job with a popular Swiss watch brand back in 2006 and discussed this with my interviewer. I didn't get the job - perhaps not a surprise - but it sounded like a really cushy number: no obvious requirement to hustle or be creative, no real measurements of ROI in place for marketing and a great deal of emphasis on conservative 'rinse and repeat'.

SGR

Craftsman
    I'm gobsmacked! That is awful! It looks cheap which in turn makes the watches look cheap. If it was for Casio they might have gotten away with it but for a luxury brand it only serves to undermine their luxury status.

Banned
    You’ve got bearded blokes, dressed as women, mopping up soggy worktops with kitchen roll. Advertising isn’t real, even Santa features on some currently.

All of brietlings recent advertising has been similarly crass. Large breasted scantily clad young women desperately throwing themselves at breitling wearing pilots.

This was discussed fairly recently, and opinion on here wasnt anywhere near this scathing. This one must have been just tasteless enough to tip the scales.

IWCs advertising is also extremely sexist. I think that unfortunately this sort of thing is intentional, and purveyors of luxury man-jewellery know their demographic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    All of brietlings recent advertising has been similarly crass. Large breasted scantily clad young women desperately throwing themselves at breitling wearing pilots.

This was discussed fairly recently, and opinion on here wasnt anywhere near this scathing. This one must have been just tasteless enough to tip the scales.

IWCs advertising is also extremely sexist. I think that unfortunately this sort of thing is intentional, and purveyors of luxury man-jewellery know their demographic.
    The ironic thing is most pilots I know are geeks of the highest order who could probably eat an apple through a tennis raquet.
    Imagine Boris Johnson in horn rimmed glasses and you would be in the ballpark.

Maybe that's their target demographic though , hence the dollybirds i

All Breitling advertising is awful. I'd be a bit fed up if I owned one - don't want people thinking I'm in that demographic!

The cheesy Breitling TV ad proves one thing.

It's never been cheaper to advertise on TV.

Just watched the link, then realised I had seen the add yesterday on TV, only thing I remembered was some bird in red shorts.

If the advert was supposed to encourage me to buy a Breitling.

Then it has failed and instead make me think the opposite.

It's a complete load of.............

As soon as it came on I thought of the Virgin Atlantic ads.

Lidl have 'copied' the theme of the John Lewis ad for one of their Christmas ads - which was at least quite a clever idea due to the tongue in cheek nature of the ad. What Breitling have done is just naff and is too 'looky-likey' to Virgins theme to stamp their own identity.

Even though I have owned most mid-tier brands, I've never had any interest in owning a Breitling - just have a cheesy, rather childish 'look I fly aeroplanes' vibe, (and tbh they always seem a bit too busy for my taste) so this kind of naff adbert confirms my suspicions!!

That was awful on every single level. Creatively it was from the 1970's, technically it was from the 1980's, and musically from an early 90's library CD.

In my previous career I worked in the media, and was often involved in advertising campaigns for some large companies and blue-chips.

The concept for that Breitling advert would never have made it past the initial bin stage fifteen years ago. Whoever suggested it would either have been laughed out of the office or fired.

I'm not going to do a deconstructional analysis of the advert, but it is hard to comprehend how that is considered to be representing the brand values that Breitling would want to be espousing globally.

All that was lacking was Benny Hill nipping out from under the plane to squint and salute at her bottom.

^ exactly. Dismal. What on earth were they thinking ? I was hoping one of our resident media experts might find something hidden in it, a cunning subliminal message perhaps. But no, it's just dire.

Paul

I want to see the next part where the two girls have a bitch fight over who gets to go home with the pilot....

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I want to see the next part where the two girls have a bitch fight over who gets to go home with the pilot....
    ...who's actually gay

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Even though I have owned most mid-tier brands, I've never had any interest in owning a Breitling - just have a cheesy, rather childish 'look I fly aeroplanes' vibe, (and tbh they always seem a bit too busy for my taste) so this kind of naff adbert confirms my suspicions!!
    I think you're taking it all too seriously.

I've got a couple of Breitlings. I didn't buy them because I liked their marketing approach, I bought them because I liked the watches.

I don't consider a transitory ad campaign defines my watches any more than a watch defines me.

I guess they feel the ads work for 'someone' (See the Patek Philippe ad thread...) - I haven't rushed out to buy another Breitling, but equally I haven't put mine on SC!

It's advertising - As someone once said, 50% of money spent on advertising is wasted, just no-one knows which 50%!

M

A lot of advertising (though not as much as I wish, obviously) passes me by - for example, despite being a tennis fan, my opinions of Rolex and Seiko aren't adjusted by their sponsoring Federer and Djokovic. But this is positively offputting, as if they're saying, our product is for smug, self-satisfied twerps. While I might be any or all of these things, I wouldn't fancy having a watch to hammer the point home.

Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    Three people I know with Breitlings; a plumber, a builder and a car salesman.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post

I thought it was a watchshop advert until I got right to the end!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Three people I know with Breitlings; a plumber, a builder and a car salesman.
    When I did jury service the drug dealer in the case we were sitting on was wearing one when arrested

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    When I did jury service the drug dealer in the case we were sitting on was wearing one when arrested
    Clearly a very poor drug dealer then, most won't be seen dead without an AP!

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Clearly a very poor drug dealer then, most won't be seen dead without an AP!

M.
    Low-level wholesale, with *exceedingly* cramped storage facilities

Chairman of the jury had a DJ one day, and a lovely mid-70s Omega chrono the next

They should be using John Travolta more in their campaigns, as big a freak as he is I'm sure he could sell their watches for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Low-level wholesale, with *exceedingly* cramped storage facilities

Chairman of the jury had a DJ one day, and a lovely mid-70s Omega chrono the next
    Now I'd have had anyone wearing a DJ thrown off the jury in selection, far too conservative to expect a fair trial!

Of course, he'd have sneaked through in the Omega as a man of impeccable trustworthiness and taste!

M

Wonder where the righteous anger is when half naked men are advertising bingo or whatever on TV?

As for who wears a Breitling, we'll probably half the people on this forum currently or have previously owned one.

As someone else said its just an ad, it's not real.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    They should be using John Travolta more in their campaigns, as big a freak as he is I'm sure he could sell their watches for them.
    there is one with him in it, in association with an x15 rocket plane