closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me a simple watch please

Recommend me a simple watch please

Hello gents,

I kept looking high and low for quite a while now for a...

- hand-wind
    - stainless steel
    - 37-38mm X 9-10mm
    - no date
    - central or small second hand
    - classic shape (no tonneau or square, etc)
    - up to say 2000-2500 pounds

... kind of a watch. There are a few interesting contenders such as Eddie's PRS29A or some of the Nomos variety, but actually not that many.

I've asked similar questions before, the difference now is that I came to realize that simplicity is rather costly, hence the higher pricing interval.

This being said, do please let me know what your suggestions would be.

Many thanks,
    Christian

Manual winders tend to come in the marine/deck watch style, and satisfy your criteria in all but the size you would like, mostly 42mm, although the Steinhart is 44mm. I have to say that I'm really enjoying my Archimede that I bought from SC several months ago. Perhaps the Stowa Partitio may fit the bill, comes in black too. https://www.stowa.de/lshop,showdetai...partition,.htm
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Manual winders tend to come in the marine/deck watch style, and satisfy your criteria in all but the size you would like, mostly 42mm, although the Steinhart is 44mm. I have to say that I'm really enjoying my Archimede that I bought from SC several months ago. Perhaps the Stowa Partitio may fit the bill, comes in black too. https://www.stowa.de/lshop,showdetai...partition,.htm
    True, at 42-44mm there're plenty of interesting Unitas based watches, but I'm after something rather more classic size-wise. My largest watch (except the G-Shocks) is a 43mm Breitling 01 and that's about the limit for me.

Also, thanks for the Stowa recommendation. It is a cool watch and I'd like it, except that for some subjective reason I can't stand seconds hands with no 'tail' (counterbalance or what's it called). Other then that, it would an interesting option.

Cheers,
    Christian

Btw, the closest so far is (based on a recommendation from a previous thread) the Hentschel Hafenmeister: http://hentschel-hamburg.de/en/model...enmeister.html

I'm not completely happy with the shape of the lugs, but other than that, that's the type of a watch I'd consider.

Cheers,
    Christian

^

Nomos is fantastic and they have a few models that perfectly suit your criteria; I don't think you'll find anything better.

Other than that, older manual-wind Rolex are great if you're not dead-set on the 37-38 mm thing.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    ^

Nomos is fantastic and they have a few models that perfectly suit your criteria; I don't think you'll find anything better.
    Nomos are good, some are very good looking too. Myself, I went with a speedmaster :)

Craftsman
    I can't find a decent image to link to (other than the SC post where I bought mine) but something like an Ollech & Wajs 2801?

Here is a link to the post on SC from where I bought mine: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=ollech

Seems to tick all your boxes but might be a bit pedestrian compared to the budget you have in mind.

What about a Grand Seiko hand wind, but there aren't many about. I think the SBGW001 is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    ^

Other than that, older manual-wind Rolex are great if you're not dead-set on the 37-38 mm thing.
    Had a couple of Tangente models and both the Club models (light and dark) and altought certainly beautiful, I just didn't connect. Further on, I realized that the Bauhaus style is not for me (so Stowa Antea KS is out too).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    I can't find a decent image to link to (other than the SC post where I bought mine) but something like an Ollech & Wajs 2801?

Here is a link to the post on SC from where I bought mine: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=ollech

Seems to tick all your boxes but might be a bit pedestrian compared to the budget you have in mind.
    Ahem, pedestrian is indeed an inspired description :) I am searching for something more classic and a tad more refined/ less tool-like.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    What about a Grand Seiko hand wind, but there aren't many about. I think the SBGW001 is one.
    Had a SBGW001 and it is indeed a lovely watch that meets the description. If it would have had the Zaratsu polished hands of the SBGR061 (which I own since a couple of months and is as of now THE dress watch for me) and, possibly, would have been just a couple of mm thinner, it would have been an excellent contender.

Many thanks for the suggestions, please do keep them coming.

Cheers,
    Christian

Something from Austria perhaps? 38.5mm, 7mm thick, hand wound.

http://www.habring2.com/en/collection/felix

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Something from Austria perhaps? 38.5mm, 7mm thick, hand wound.

http://www.habring2.com/en/collection/felix
    That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, many thanks! I did some quick research and it costs about 4500 EUR/ 3200 GBP, which for a mostly manufactured watch is extremely good... Will have to do some more research, but it looks promising.

Still, please do let me hear your further suggestions.

Cheers,
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, many thanks! I did some quick research and it costs about 4500 EUR/ 3200 GBP, which for a mostly manufactured watch is extremely good... Will have to do some more research, but it looks promising.

Still, please do let me hear your further suggestions.

Cheers,
    Christian
    I was on a very similar quest myself (only on a smaller budget) and came across the Habring Felix. It ticks all the boxes but the price puts it out of reach for me. It's lovely and a great size with a beautiful movement.

I finally settled on a Nomos Tangente Sport which I bought off another member. It actually wasn't a model I had considered (mainly been looking at an Orion or regular Tangente) but I'm glad I went for it. Hasn't been off my wrist since it arrived.

Have you seen a Montblanc Ultra Slim in 'the flesh' yet?
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 24th November 2015 at 16:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I was on a very similar quest myself (only on a smaller budget) and came across the Habring Felix. It ticks all the boxes but the price puts it out of reach for me. It's lovely and a great size with a beautiful movement.

I finally settled on a Nomos Tangente Sport which I bought off another member. It actually wasn't a model I had considered (mainly been looking at an Orion or regular Tangente) but I'm glad I went for it. Hasn't been off my wrist since it arrived.

Have you seen a Monblanc Ultra Slim in 'the flesh' yet?
    That's the thing, I started with a much lower budget in mind, but then in turns out that as with plenty of other things nowadays, this is also upside-down: simple, classic watches are almost exclusively in the upper 4 figures (and as such rarely made in stainless steel).

I had a few years ago the Tangente Sport, and I enjoyed its somewhat more consistent presence. But then the ugly 'no Bauhaus for me' bias raised its head so I flipped it.

As for the Montblanc, it does sound like a very interesting proposition, but from the pics it looks maybe a bit too sterile and also the hands seem to be too short. But yes, I want to see it in 3D, maybe my concerns are not real after all.

Cheers,
    Christian

[...]As for the Montblanc, it does sound like a very interesting proposition, but from the pics it looks maybe a bit too sterile and also the hands seem to be too short. But yes, I want to see it in 3D, maybe my concerns are not real after all.[...]
    I find the Montblanc to be a badly-drawn watch, too. Arial is always a giveaway that it's the work of a non-professional.

Master
    ...........it costs about 4500 EUR/ 3200 GBP, which for a mostly manufactured watch is extremely good...
    €50 ...

http://www.good-stuffs.com/Classic-S...ssue_p_85.html

SBGW035 (or SBGW031 if you prefer leather) .

One of my (many) grails. You can find one around the £2k mark or slighly less if you shop around Rakuten and others, or ask Seiya for a quote.

I honestly can't think of anything better made near this price. Very similar with the SBGW033 limited edition piece that fetches twice as much.

As for the bracelet, some find it a bit out of place, I for one think it's rather nice although if/when I get it myself I will for sure cough up for at least a croc strap for it as I'm sure it will look stunning with it.

If you're after fancy finished movement though, this is far from it.

Had ??? a SBGW001 and it is indeed a lovely watch that meets the description. If it would have had the Zaratsu polished hands of the SBGR061 (which I own since a couple of months and is as of now THE dress watch for me) and, possibly, would have been just a couple of mm thinner, it would have been an excellent contender.

Many thanks for the suggestions, please do keep them coming.

Cheers,
    Christian
    Never mind, I saw this post...You had, as in past tense, the SBGW001, my other and grail-er or grails and you flipped it?!! I hate you!

Quote function isnt working for me this evening or I would have referenced Dappers post above

Hardly likely to fit the bill but a good stocking filler / bit of fun on a similar theme

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...i-1955-Reissue

Something from Stowa?

They do have some which match your requirements I think:

https://www.stowa.de/lshop,showdetai...partition,.htm

Master
    We're all assuming a new watch, though you didn't actually say it. You could save yourself a small fortune with something vintage like this:

Or indeed some 50s sub-second Omegas that are in the right size range, or JLCs.

Apologies for the absence gents, too much work and not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Quote function isnt working for me this evening or I would have referenced Dappers post above

Hardly likely to fit the bill but a good stocking filler / bit of fun on a similar theme

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...i-1955-Reissue
    Well, yes, but... Ahem. I think I'd rather look for something more 'cote de Geneve'-esque :D

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Something from Stowa?

They do have some which match your requirements I think:

https://www.stowa.de/lshop,showdetai...partition,.htm
    As said, nice option, I have however a pet peeve with that particular shape of the seconds hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    We're all assuming a new watch, though you didn't actually say it. You could save yourself a small fortune with something vintage like this:

Or indeed some 50s sub-second Omegas that are in the right size range, or JLCs.
    I have a couple of lovely vintage watches (an 18k Zenith and UG Polerouter), but for now I'm rather interested in a more recent, say post-2000 watch. I don't exclude however getting myself one of them oldies...

So anyway, is there any chance for any further recommendation?

Cheers,
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    Never mind, I saw this post...You had, as in past tense, the SBGW001, my other and grail-er or grails and you flipped it?!! I hate you!
    Well... after craving for it for a few years (after reading that brilliant review on watchprosite), I finally got one. And it did not work for me. This whole thing is crazy after all, so I guess I'll just go for this explanation. But this should not keep you at all from hunting for one...

Cheers,
    Christian

I know it's about half your budget, but if I were in your position, I'd be buying a Nomos Club 36mm and pocketing the rest.

Edit: just noticed, you've already owned one in the past. Sorry.
    Last edited by seikokiller; 26th November 2015 at 21:14.

Dornblüth 99.0/99.1 perhaps? Should fit the price range, maybe a tad large. Although they do wear rather "conservative".

Grand Master
    1940's Vintage Omega with a little patina and fade to dial perhaps,and have loadsa money left....

This for £165

- - - Updated - - -

1940's Vintage Omega with a little patina and fade to dial perhaps,and have loadsa money left....

This for £165

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    I know it's about half your budget, but if I were in your position, I'd be buying a Nomos Club 36mm and pocketing the rest.

Edit: just noticed, you've already owned one in the past. Sorry.
    Very, very well made watches, but I think in the end the all-too-long lugs did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by drury View Post
    Dornblüth 99.0/99.1 perhaps? Should fit the price range, maybe a tad large. Although they do wear rather "conservative".
    42 mm and dress watch does not really rhyme for me :) I noticed they also have a 38.5mm model, but it's a manufacture movement and as such the price is way higher.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post

This for £165
    That's certainly lovely! And connected to this, I came to the conclusion that it's futile to search in today's world for these kinds of watches. There are a very few models and most of them horribly expensive. So there it goes - I'll probably enjoy collecting vintage from now on.

Still, many thanks for all suggestions. Should there be any further, do please let me know.

Cheers,
    Christian

Cheap but simple and great, Smiths PRS27 or PRS25.