closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I would love a Timefactors watch like the 40s 6B/159s

I would love a Timefactors watch like the 40s 6B/159s

Here's a Dennison/Omega 6B/159 on sale on eBay: link

I've been asking around on forums asking if there are any modern watches in this style - the closest people can suggest are various Marine watches, which tend to be rather larger.

Here's a picture of another 6B/159, from TZ UK member davide

The features that stand out for me are:
    blued heavy spade hands, cream dial, numerals with a little more character than typical of Pilot watches, wide train track minute markers, manual, central seconds

The case is a now-unfashionable 33.5mm.

I realise though that the shape of the case and crown is quite similar to the Timefactors PRS29. I had already been thinking that 2801 movement (which is used in the PRS29) would be perfect for a modern 6B/159-style watch. The 36mm or 39mm option of the PRS29 would I think also be popular for this style today. I would like to buy it in 36mm :)

Here is photo of a Longines 6B/159 belonging to TZ UK member foilguy:

If you google you'll also find Ebel versions etc
    Last edited by Der Amf; 23rd November 2015 at 22:46. Reason: Tapatalk not liking the links

Highly unlikely, certainly at 33 to 36mm - sad to say

i like the idea.certainly a follow on from the smiths military watches eddie does.would have to be 34mm+ and most likely 36mm to make sense these days.anyone else like this?

Master
    I had a similar quest some time back.

This Gerlach was fairly close but 40mm...

I ended up with with this Kemmner 38mm LE 'Marine'...

Would love to see something like this from TF ...

Master
    Was just thinking the 38mm Kemmner Marine not far off what you're looking for

My wrist says: big difference between a 38mm auto and a 36mm manual ;)

There are lots of the originals out there, thousands were issued to the RAF and Fleet Air Arm (the FAA ones are marked HS8).

Beware of a couple of things: most (almost all) of these cases are a horrid, brittle monkey-metal alloy and may have shortened lugs where they've broken off and been re-drilled (which takes the bar closer to the body of the case. And do make sure the watch has fixed not spring bars.) A few are Stainless Steel but expect to pay a heavy premium for these. On all models the caseback is stainless steel but on the alloy ones the inside of it says "fond acier inoxydable" (fond = back, i.e. caseback only). The all ss ones say "acier inoxydable" on the inside of the caseback.

Second, unmarked (un-engraved) casebacks are more likely to be post-war civilian retail models rather than "sterilised" or scrubbed mil issue. The code 2292 inside the caseback is usually (but not always) a sign of military provenance.

Third, look out for re-dials.

More good info here: http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...4-Omega-6B-159

You should get a decent one for under £500

Thank you all this detail. Although two thirds of my watches are vintage, in this instance I decided against pursuing one of these, but the desire for this combination of specs remained, all nicely wrapped up in a freshly-made, well-made SS modern watch.

With a watch that old and with that kind of provenance I would feel obligated to be as respectful as possible to its history; I'm wanting something with its same qualities, except modern and robust so I'm not feeling bad for exposing it to day to day wear and tear.

Maybe I'm the only person who would like to see that general look revived, I don't know
    Last edited by Der Amf; 25th November 2015 at 10:51.

. . . . .
    Last edited by Der Amf; 26th November 2015 at 01:42. Reason: daft post

Grand Master
    Blog Entries