closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Marathon TSAR

Marathon TSAR

As a fan of utilitarian watches I've had my eye on the Marathon TSAR for a while. I've wanted one for a long time, but somehow the purchase of other watches got in the way - see my other watches here, here, and here.

As much as I love my automatics such as the Tactico TC2 and Crepas El Buzo though, they're a bit too special for me to wear while travelling and engaging in rough activities, plus switching from automatic to automatic or the manual wind Kemmner Bund can get annoying, so I wanted a tough, quartz, go-anywhere watch and the Marathon TSAR seemed to fit the bill.

Bezel Diameter: 42mm
    Case Diameter: 40mm
    Case Height: 14mm
    Lug-to-Lug Diameter: 48mm
    Lug Width: 20mm
    Watch Weight: 110 grams (3.9 oz.)

I bought mine from TopSpecUS.com during one of their regular sales, so I got it for US$517 ($91 off usual price) which at today's exchange rates is about £340. They have these sales a few times a year, usually on American holidays, if you sign up to their newsletter you'll get an email. I deliberated a long time regarding the size, concerned that it might be a bit too small for me. At the same time for a travel watch I didn't want anything too big. I did consider models such as the JSAR but that's really a huge step up in size.

The quality and finish I think is very good indeed, it certainly feels like a solidly-built timepiece. Obviously I went for the "sterile" version because the last thing I'd want on my wrist are the words "U.S. Government". The size is a little weird, in that it's not all that large, but the depth is quite high for a watch this size, which means it does feel reassuringly "chunky" despite the diameter. If you like very large watches, you're probably better off with the JSAR. I do wish the lug-size was 22mm instead of 20mm, which to me would suit a "military" type watch like this better, but not much one can do about that. In the end I was lucky that it fit perfectly a GasGasBones strap I already had which I think suits the watch style very well and more importantly gives me that wider strap feel. The watch came with a black rubber strap, and I also tried it on NATOS which worked well, but the added width of the GasGasBones fits much better in my opinion.

Not much else to say really, it does what it says on the tin so to speak. The Tritium markers aren't that bright but when it's dark you do see them perfectly well and the fact they don't fade during the darkness is pretty useful. I don't like the white date wheel on black background (why does anyone do that?) but I can live with it.

Having had the watch for over a month I can honestly say that it's become my daily wearer (which before was mostly the Tactico TC2). It does everything it needs to, I don't need to worry about scratching it or knocking it against anything, the convenience of quartz means I can grab it and go, and overall I'd just say it has pretty much everything I look for in a watch.

Craftsman
    Fantasic watch and my daily ware

Yep! The Marathon TSAR definitely is a go anywhere do anything watch and looks cool on that GGS. How does to wear on the wrist? The crown looks huge in your photographs. I bet it glows like a torch...

Thanks for sharing...

Banned
    They are very good watches, built tough.
    I only sold mine as I found it hard to read at times, but that's my eyesight.

20mm is perfect for this, I would put it on one of Eddies 2 piece nylon deployant straps.
    It would lower the watch plus they look good.

It wears very easily indeed, I have a 6.75" wrist and normally wear a 42mm Tactico TC2, this is smaller than that. It's true the crown sticks out more than some other watches but its certainly not an issue at all, it has never touched my hand even when bent all the way back and I suspect the photos above exaggerate the effect a bit. The grip on the crown is excellent, much better than the usual ridges, which makes it easy and precise to change the time. Though of course as a Quartz you rarely have to.

Had one for couple of years but sold it. I regret that sell so much. They are incredibly solid, built-like-a tank but in smart size, watches.

Still going strong...

Would like to say that I agree with the majority of observations made in this thread.

On the nylon/deployant clasp strap point I differ in that I cannot get on with deployant clasps. I suspect it is because my small wrists. The observation about lowering the "ride height" of the piece is spot on though. Looks like I will be sticking to the RAF style straps offered by our host.

Apprentice
    To me, the bezel and the tritium vials are what makes the TSAR and the GSAR really stand out. If you're so inclined, the Marathon bracelet is a simple and very robust option.

The more I wear this watch the more I feel it has everything you actually need in a tool watch. Here with a NATO strap on holiday in the Andaman sea off Thailand. It was very readable underwater while snorkelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    A beast of a watch!

Master
    This kind of thread doesn't help at all :). I still have the Marathon on my WTB list.
    Great tool watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got it's older brother. SAR from the first contract & still going strong