closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The heart or the head

The heart or the head

Right team having an ethical/moral/intellectual/personal dilemma which I would love to hear the various opinions of the esteemed crew here on.

I had a gap in the collection for a diver or diver styled watch and had narrowed my search down to the new Seamaster 300M, Tudor Pelages or the Sub no-date.

Tried on all 3 at an AD today to get a sense of each in the flesh and ruled out the Seamaster, whilst it is undeniably a good looking watch there is something about I can't put my finger on, so back into the display it went. Of the other two, I could quite obviously be very happy with either! The Pelagos I think shades it for me on the looks front, the matte dial and bezel insert and brushed case look fantastic in the real - perfect tool watch. The Sub is a little more dressy and perhaps benefits from being able to be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.

So, my heart leans towards the Pelagos for (imo) it's better look and it would be a purchase from new, but my head says Sub as it will hold value better over the long term and will likely be a nearly new purchase.

Help!

(This post is of course slightly tongue in cheek as I fully realise the ridiculousness of agonising over 2 watches that cost more than a lot of people would spend on a car)

I'm a little biased because I have the 114060 ND Sub, but in all honesty it sounds like you like the Pelagos more than you do the Sub and if you did go for the Sub you'd either fall in-love with it or go back to craving a Pelagos. I would try and get the Pelagos used if you can, save yourself some money and in the even you do have a change of heart you wont lose much/anything on the purchase.

As its a watch i say go with your heart, if it was a 'head' decision spending all of that money on a watch would not make sense anyway

Maybe you need to spend a while longer without it before you realise your heart wants the Sub too

I would probably be predictable and go the sub route- and it would probably be a non date and probably last of the pre-ceramic ones

Nothing moral/ethical/intellectual about this dilemma.
    Purely,personal.
    And, the decision has to be personal as well.
    Both good watches. In fact, all three.

Master
    Of those I would choose the sub.
    Have you tried the new seadweller?

Take the Submariner. I would take it over pretty much any diver's watch, but in this case its the titanium of the Pelagos which shuts it out for me. I think titanium looks dull and scratches easily. It bores me after a while, just like my IWC 3536 did.

Craftsman
    Both are really nice. If you are leaning towards the Pelagos definitely go for that. You'll not care about residuals when it's on your wrist 😀

Master
    Having just bought a ND SubC. I love it, the adjustable glide lock clasp, ceramic bezel etc. I think I have found my one watch for all occasions.

"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of" as Blaise Pascal once said, albeit in French.

My heart wants the SD4K

Submariner.

Master
    I would always go with the heart when it comes to watches. Luckily mine and my head too went for a sub ND...

Master
    I had the same dilemma between Subc non date or Pelagos and when I tried them on the sub felt so much better fit wise with the glidelock clasp and it looked so much better as it was smaller on my medium sized wrist. Don't buy until you've tried each on several times, take photos of them on your wrist and walk away and keep reviewing the photos until you are 100% ready. Good luck

The Pelagos is a cracking watch. I'm considering the blue dial version myself at the moment. I spent a good while trying the new models on at the Tudor stand at Salon QP; speaking to a chap from Rolex (filling in for Tudor). He wouldn't sell me the display model, I did try!

The Pelagos makes a great case for itself and the used values seem quite strong at the moment. On the secondary market you could have a blue Pelagos and a Black Bay black for the price of a new 114060.

Having owned an 114060 for a year or so, the Rolex is "better", in terms of finish anyway.

Take a loupe and have a really close look at the dial & hands on the sub, you'll see where the extra money has gone.

Similarly, if you remove the case back and look at the level of finishing on the 3130 movement, you'll see further evidence of the Rolex price premium over the Pelagos.

Try both, neither would be a struggle to sell or trade after 6 months or so.
    Last edited by TimeOut; 15th November 2015 at 21:19.

Banned
    I presume the pelagos you're looking at is the new model with the in house movement ?
    I had a friend who had the ETA model pelagos and he had trouble with the date change twice, it was fixed twice but the faith had gone and he sold it. Can't go wrong with a sub though !!! Funny enough I've just sold a sub 114060 to fund my Seamaster 300 spectre

Thank you all for your opinions so far. Much appreciated. My local AD is getting in an 114060 in the next two weeks and they have the Pelages already, so i'll have to go back and test them out again - I like the idea of taking some wrist shots with each on, so thanks for that suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi46vr View Post
    I presume the pelagos you're looking at is the new model with the in house movement ?
    I had a friend who had the ETA model pelagos and he had trouble with the date change twice, it was fixed twice but the faith had gone and he sold it. Can't go wrong with a sub though !!! Funny enough I've just sold a sub 114060 to fund my Seamaster 300 spectre
    Damn - I could have taken that off your hands!

I tried the Seamaster (though not the Spectre edition) and I really, really wanted to like it, but somehow didn't. When I go back to look at the Sub I might give it another go, maybe on the leather rather than the bracelet and see how that looks.

so in the end you will go ahead and buy the sub,
    then you will see subs identical to yours everywhere and will beome totally bored,
    will sell it, because, you know, great resale value, and buy the pelagos.
    but then you won't be able to show it off, because it's not a rolex, so it will be like wearing no watch at all.
    so you will sell the pelagos, losing a lot of money, because, you know, resale value, and buy the omega, which you don't really like.

ID be going for the Submariner in that selection.

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    then you will see subs identical to yours everywhere and will beome totally bored,
    but then you won't be able to show it off, because it's not a rolex, so it will be like wearing no watch at all.
    so you will sell the pelagos, losing a lot of money, because, you know, resale value, and buy the omega, which you don't really like.
    As ridiculously as that reads - it's highly plausible! :)

Grand Master
    Heart.

I made a "head" decision by buying a forum-darling watch, crushingly competent and favoured by lots of other people, but not me, so I don't wear it and it sits there losing money anyway.

If you are a buyer-flipper and prefer to treat watches as leases goods, you're better off with the head though!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I'm having the same dilemma at the moment

I want a Pelagos, It would be nice to get a Fresh one with the date I got engaged on there, but when you go secondhand the cost is quite dramtic is it worth the premium... I also looked at the S300, and had the same feelings! I really wanted ot like it but is just wasnt for me, even though I love th vintage 300...

Then there's a nagging doubt about the SDc vs the Pelagos...

Then I wanted a GMT as well.....

FFS

I've a Blue one waiting for me to go and see if anyones interested BTW!

Craftsman
    Go with your heart. The way I approach buying watches now, is that I make a list of watches that I want. If a watch stays on my list consistently over any period of time without me removing it, then it’s a fair to say it’s a watch that I really want & this stops me from making rash decisions on impulse buying like I have done in the past. As it happens the Pelagos has been top of my list for some time.

Journeyman
    Definitely the Sub

Journeyman
    I've read this dilemma many times, a Rolex or T Pelagos. Pelagos does the same movements as the sub but some always have that in the back of their mind it's not a Rolex.
    If you can afford the extra go with the sub to be sure but do try both of them on and you decide what you prefer.

Banned
    As much as the Tudor bracelets are good, the Rolex bracelet with the taper and the glidelock are a step above.
    Have Tudor now got the 5 year warranty or is it just Rolex ?

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    He's right!

Sub

Sub ND

Having owned and sold both - I'd have another SubC

The Pelagos did win my comparison review "& The Winner is?" though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Possibly a controversial statement here but I think you can really only appreciate a Tudor when you already have (or had) a Rolex.

Otherwise, the whole poor mans Rolex thing creeps in and annoys you and you want to 'upgrade'...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I would probably be predictable and go the sub route- and it would probably be a non date and probably last of the pre-ceramic ones
    +1

on my list.