closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sky catalog watches, who buys these things ?!

Sky catalog watches, who buys these things ?!

I fly quite frequently with my work and have encountered some absolute humdinging watches in sky catalogues!

Who buys these things!?

If you've seen any belters from aircraft duty free, or perhaps on another mode of transport like Eurostar or ferry, then post the biggest disasters you've seen :)

I'll get it going .... thanks British Airways ......

Master
    I've been wondering the same thing myself...

Craftsman
    Do a fair bit of flying myself and browsing the in flight mag always entertains for ten minutes while wondering who on earth buys these things. Once saw a very wealthy gent on Emirates buy a Breitling for Bentley chrono, massive thing, must have been 48mm!

Journeyman
    It's probably a proven marketing campaign to sell anything in one of those in flight magazines no matter how bad. Peogle get lost in the buzz of going on holiday..

I think they work on the basis that the reduced oxygen and poor cabin air quality might lead the passengers into thinking one of these watches will be a good purchase ;-)

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    im sure lots of kids ask their parents for one, people who might have forgotten to pick up a watch and/or want a cheapie for diving in the pool and leave their Patek in the safe in their hotel room in magaluf (maybe not on the 3rd point lol!!)

On another linked thought, many years ago when me and Mrs RJM went away, she didn't ever take perfume away and used to buy one on the plane, however its not the bargain it once was so she takes from home now....

Master
    My wife always insists on finding a Swatch shop to buy something... Errr.. Shall we say "colourful" ? when she is "on holiday" and it's sunny.

She then leaves said purchase in its case all holiday "So it won't get damaged" and continues to wear her regular watch. When we get home the Swatch end up in a draw, still in its case, along with all the others....

Master
    Blog Entries
    One of the guys at work has a few Klaus Kobec monstrosities.
    He likes them though so I suppose that's all that matters.

The Aviator watches are popular with male flight crew. I think they can buy it with a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I think they work on the basis that the reduced oxygen and poor cabin air quality might lead the passengers into thinking one of these watches will be a good purchase ;-)
    This is an outstanding theory! I fly again tomorrow and will post what Air Canada have to offer!

Quote Originally Posted by MaNb View Post
    The Aviator watches are popular with male flight crew. I think they can buy it with a discount.
    I think that watch taste is proportionate to air line lol particularly with male flight attendants. I've not spotted much on short haul budget airlines, but with US long haul Carriers I've clocked a fair few Navitimer's , Omega's and Tag's.

Last time I flew BA the FA had a Daytona on her wrist.