closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The reports of my demise are an exaggeration

If and when Eddie sees the need for a mod/admin I am certain he will pick someone he trusts and who also shares his tolerance and ideas on how the forum is run. If a forum is set up properly as this one is, it can run itself for the most part. I was gone from my place for 4 1/2 months last fall and this winter. A couple of trusted members ran the place without a hitch so it can be done. Trust is the most important thing.

As Eddie posted, it was not about money, but his time for his family first and business. As someone who lost my own Carol 9 years ago, I can tell you that time with the most important person in you life is finite and very important.

Eddie is Time Zone-UK and the members here as with any fora make or break the place.

Seeing as everyone is chucking their 50p into the ring I thought I'd better stick my big nose in:
    Sigh of relief Eddie didn't sell to VS, he probably saved the forum
    Eddie needs to delegate, I'm sure he can get any backroom tech advice on here, there seems to be enough willingness and skills on the forum
    Regarding moderation. I think it would be good for the forum if Eddie hand picked a couple of people to lend him a hand.
    Firstly, anyone that wants to put themselves forward as a mod probably isn't fit to do the job. Secondly, the mods should remain anonymous ( ie only Eddie knows who they are). This would help prevent any big Dick syndrome setting in and preventing them from doing their job properly . Thirdly, I vote for Neil C. , if he is prepared to tear himself away from cataloguing his val doonican albums for a couple of nights a week. There might even he enough in the kitty to stump up a couple of packets of Werther's originals in the way of remuneration for his time. Seriously though, you need someone with a demonstrable record of participation and affection for the forum and absolutely no record of ever having been drawn into any of the spats on here. That only really leaves Neil and sir Robert of Fraziershire , and I think sir Robert is probably too busy.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Seeing as everyone is chucking their 50p into the ring I thought I'd better stick my big nose in:
    Sigh of relief Eddie didn't sell to VS, he probably saved the forum
    Eddie needs to delegate, I'm sure he can get any backroom tech advice on here, there seems to be enough willingness and skills on the forum
    Regarding moderation. I think it would be good for the forum if Eddie hand picked a couple of people to lend him a hand.
    Firstly, anyone that wants to put themselves forward as a mod probably isn't fit to do the job. Secondly, the mods should remain anonymous ( ie only Eddie knows who they are). This would help prevent any big Dick syndrome setting in and preventing them from doing their job properly . Thirdly, I vote for Neil C. , if he is prepared to tear himself away from cataloguing his val doonican albums for a couple of nights a week. There might even he enough in the kitty to stump up a couple of packets of Werther's originals in the way of remuneration for his time. Seriously though, you need someone with a demonstrable record of participation and affection for the forum and absolutely no record of ever having been drawn into any of the spats on here. That only really leaves Neil and sir Robert of Fraziershire , and I think sir Robert is probably too busy.
    Spooky! That's exactly who I was thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Spooky! That's exactly who I was thinking of.
    Here's a quote from the post you replied to: "the mods should remain anonymous ( ie only Eddie knows who they are)...", and so I have to ask, how do you know that this isn't what is already happening?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Not a dumb question...but, as I understand it the answer is yes.

No need for a poll...there are certain long standing members that I wouldn't give the...off my.... any chance to influence this forum (more than they can achieve already).

If Eddie needs help, I'm sure he'll find someone he might trust and ask them. Until then...long may it continue...
    And if he doesn't tell us, who would be / will be any the wiser?

Thomas Reid
    Seikopath, very kind of you to think that I might be able to do it.[1] Absolutely correct that I wouldn't do it. Not that I believe that Eddie wants that sort of help anyway.

[1] At the very least it shows that I'm able to camouflage my deep and mighty desire for power and horological domination!

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master
    I`d be no good as a moderator........I`m sure many on the forum would agree

Anyway, my track record isn`t good. Way back in my schooldays I had the privilege of becoming a prefect for a short while, but it ended badly. I was stripped of my prefect badge for fighting.........had to hand it back in school assembly and suffer the humiliation.

Maybe we should have an election. Nominate some candidates, have a couple of weeks of canvassing/electioneering, then have a vote.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Seikopath, very kind of you to think that I might be able to do it.[1] Absolutely correct that I wouldn't do it. Not that I believe that Eddie wants that sort of help anyway.

[1] At the very least it shows that I'm able to camouflage my deep and mighty desire for power and horological domination!

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I knew it!

Was offline all week, logged in to discover the "sale" and went...

Circumstances are understandably not so good, but glad the forum hasn't ended up in a media corporation portfolio.

Let's setup a company and issue stock, buy Mr.Flatts out! Or sumfing like that

Thats some excellent flipping right there ;p

Blog Entries

Best wishes,
    Bob
    :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Thirdly, I vote for Neil C. , if he is prepared to tear himself away from cataloguing his val doonican albums for a couple of nights a week.
    Those Val Doonican albums won't catalogue themselves you know.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Those Val Doonican albums won't catalogue themselves you know.
    It's Groucho syndrome. Anyone that's remotely fit to do the job isn't the least bit interested.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Unlikely anonymous mods would stay anonymous unless they have no friends on the forum … people talk and PM and GTG … the garden fence syndrome … others would soon realise who is a mod … and rumours would be rife … "he must be a mod .. because … now don't tell anyone … but … do you know .. he … " "Oooooh … well I NEVER .. fancy that … thanks .. and no … I won't tell a soul " " 'ere … now then … Swear to god ? Don't tell anyone .. But … I heard today 'e's a bloody MOD !! Him!! Who would have thought it !! … ad infinitum …

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

The mod thing is double edged, I have been a mod on several forums now (hifi not watches) and sometimes mods make it worse, sometimes better. Sooner or later a mod will have a bit of a falling out, but it still ends up being less hassle than doing it all yourself.
    The report post button generates an email to all mods, so whoever is free at the time can deal with it instead of the onus being on one person. Also a mod room (only visible to mods) allows open discussion of reported posts and people on the edge of banning so a consensus can be formed instead of knee jerk reactions (not that I have ever seen that here!)

Personally I am amazed that a forum of this size does not have 4-5 mods and a few admin (owner and a tech guy), so all the more credit to Eddie for keeping the forum going almost single handed.

Master
    With this now back with the Guvnor does this mean that the forum still has a sale price? Also that Eddie is wishing to take a step back etc.

Wow! It seems I've missed a hell of a lot since I last logged on!

I would've been sorry to see the forum transferred to someone else as I feel that your personality is an integral part of this forum. It is reflected in the way that we the members conduct ourselves with each other for one thing.

As someone else said, maybe it would be best to take on another couple of moderators to lighten the load a little bit?

Cheers

A

Master
    I've been a mod over at avforums.com for 10 years+ (under a name, obviously) so HTH

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    I've been a mod over at avforums.com for 10 years+ (under a name, obviously) so HTH
    With all due respect, I can think of few things that TZ-UZ needs less than the type of moderatorship regime that AVForums has!

Master

Exclamation

That's you banned. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    With all due respect, I can think of few things that TZ-UZ needs less than the type of moderatorship regime that AVForums has!
    Been awhile since being on there, OverClockers Forum is another one that has a worse regime.

Well this makes my last post completely redundant but...welcome back!

I think it's fair to say that the only people / organisation that will run TZ-UK fairly and equitably are those as passionate about watches as yourself.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    I've never been a mod but I have been known to be capricious, spiteful, play favourites and have hissy fits, so HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Over on the Full-Bore forum they've posted the annual running costs for the forum and asked members to donate towards them on a voluntary basis. I'm sure there are plenty here who'd be willing to chip in, without you having to make it subscription-only.

Those costs might include paying someone to help validate registrations, etc.
    As a matter of interest, FBUK has now raised the required amount through donations—in six days. And it's a much smaller forum than this one.

Journeyman
    Glad to hear that the forum hasn't been sold - left a few over the years due to sales which left the userbase and mod team completely at odds.

Grand Master
    Just caught up with this. Mixed feelings: a relief that my favourite virtual pub still has the same landlord who we like and trust, I I feel sad that Eddie still has the burden when home circumstances mean he might be better off without it.
    My own recent circumstances have reminded me family comes first.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Agreed!