closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things to Improve the Forum Under its New Ownership

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    The Forum is in desperate need of proper moderation and a good moderation team. IMO this has always been the case. I don't however expect many to agree. Turkeys won't vote for thanksgiving.
    Am I hallucinating here? Is this the same Java who has been banned more than once for despicable comments or is it an imposter?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Am I hallucinating here? Is this the same Java who has been banned more than once for despicable comments or is it an imposter?

Eddie
    Still me Eddie. I will of course respond to the despicable despicably. You know I have always believed this Forum is in need of proper moderation. I never made any secret of where I stood with that.

Master
    The trouble is, anyone balanced enough to be a good moderator will have much better things to do with their time and anyone who volunteers should be immediately disqualified from being one (ref: Douglas Adams).

Master

^^^^ Aye.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    ?
    Filthy swine!

Master
    I'm definately in the "leave the forum as it is camp". Clearly some things work better than others but any changes will just introduce new issues and other members will be upset / angered by them. You are NOT going to please everyone here as we're all individuals.

Call me paranoid but I've concerns over the data that will be being collected from here from now on, espsically with the (possible) introduction of "Like" buttons and such. SIB replies to or "likes" a post about Cheaney shoes for example.......how long until an advert for Cheaney shoes appears on SIBs Facebook page or they appear as the first Google hit regardless what I'm searching for??

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    It works as it is. leave it be.

So if the new owners are from Canada, does that mean the name changes from TZ-UK to TZ-CA?? :-D

Grand Master
    Split SC into watch and non-watch.

Get rid of Bear Pit

Moderators to take a strict line on the insults and aggression, with a little more latitude in the G & D area.

Time to clean this place up, get rid of the keyboard warriors, the bully-boys, and the sniggering/sniping in the Bear Pit.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    I'm definately in the "leave the forum as it is camp". Clearly some things work better than others but any changes will just introduce new issues and other members will be upset / angered by them. You are NOT going to please everyone here as we're all individuals.

Call me paranoid but I've concerns over the data that will be being collected from here from now on, espsically with the (possible) introduction of "Like" buttons and such. SIB replies to or "likes" a post about Cheaney shoes for example.......how long until an advert for Cheaney shoes appears on SIBs Facebook page or they appear as the first Google hit regardless what I'm searching for??
    I would suggest you stay off Facebook or any Google related product if you have such concerns. ;) The like buttons for vBulletin do little more than ad a tick box to your posts and give people a warm fuzzy feeling of validation and acknowledgement when you see something you posted appreciated by others.

-Philip

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Get rid of Bear Pit

Moderators to take a strict line on the insults and aggression, with a little more latitude in the G & D area.

Time to clean this place up, get rid of the keyboard warriors, the bully-boys, and the sniggering/sniping in the Bear Pit.

Paul
    Agree.

Craftsman

Get rid of Bear Pit

Paul
    That's a great idea in principal, everyone keeps mentioning these "moderators" without actually specifying where they'll come from? This place is like an old town in the wild west, Eddie was the long standing, respected law man and has just retired. The politicians in the town (Visionscope) will make the laws, but I can't see them being the law men\women who enforce them! The rival gangs of outlaws roam the streets looking for trouble and hoping they'll become the new Sheriff in town. Any law abiding citizen who becomes sheriff will become a target for these outlaws and face the full force of their wrath! God help the citizens if power should fall to an outlaw!

OK, I may have lost the plot there and used a bit of drmatisation (read BS) , but you get the point. There is now a power vacuum on the forum as I see it. I'd love the forum to stay as it is but it has changed, nothing we can do about that. Only way it won't change is if Eddie remains as the single and only mod on the forum and wields ultimate power, which I can't see is going to happen as he has stated his reasons for handing over in the first place, which we all respect him for.

Ok, time to get back to the madness in my own head.

Quote Originally Posted by gunman View Post
    That's a great idea in principal, everyone keeps mentioning these "moderators" without actually specifying where they'll come from? This place is like an old town in the wild west, Eddie was the long standing, respected law man and has just retired. The politicians in the town (Visionscope) will make the laws, but I can't see them being the law men\women who enforce them! The rival gangs of outlaws roam the streets looking for trouble and hoping they'll become the new Sheriff in town. Any law abiding citizen who becomes sheriff will become a target for these outlaws and face the full force of their wrath! God help the citizens if power should fall to an outlaw!

OK, I may have lost the plot there and used a bit of drmatisation (read BS) , but you get the point. There is now a power vacuum on the forum as I see it. I'd love the forum to stay as it is but it has changed, nothing we can do about that. Only way it won't change is if Eddie remains as the single and only mod on the forum and wields ultimate power, which I can't see is going to happen as he has stated his reasons for handing over in the first place, which we all respect him for.

Ok, time to get back to the madness in my own head.
    Here's your man:

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Here's your man:

Kingstepper, I didn't think you wanted to be a mod?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ-Admin View Post
    I would suggest you stay off Facebook or any Google related product if you have such concerns. ;) The like buttons for vBulletin do little more than ad a tick box to your posts and give people a warm fuzzy feeling of validation and acknowledgement when you see something you posted appreciated by others.

-Philip
    Haha fair point :-). I know any time I look at stuff on Amazon those items suddenly appear as adverts on my Facebook page. I don't know the mechanics behond it but I know it has to do with cookies / tracking and the likes. Genuinely it doesn't bother me that much, it's a minor annoyance rather than blood boiling rage and if they weren't advertising stuff I'd looked at they'd be throwing up some other random advert. Facebook has to get it's money from somewhere.

Genuine question and appologies if you've already answered it another of the 40 odd posts about your companies aquirement of the forum but what's your interest in it? I expect adverts appropriate to watches and other things discussed will start to appear? If so do you scan for stuff people are talking about then have appropriate adverts placed on the pages. Again going back to my Cheaney shoes example, as there are several threads about shoes and a few people say "You should check those new Wolverine 1000 miles out, they're awesome" can we expect to see Wolverine adverts on the page. Or do you just sell space based on the general "type" of forums you aquire. Genuine curiosity, despite my post I don't live in a lead lined shelter with a tinfoil hat on worrying about alieans or "Big Brother is watching"

I use noscript and adblock in firefox and don't see as much advertisements unless I'm on my phone. Must see what android has to offer in this respect as I haven't bothered.
    I wonder if there will be a 'remove banner ads click here' button soon where you can make a payment to remove them.

Master
    A couple of mod's would do no harm, but getting the right person for the job is another matter.

Mini Hitler's a plenty on here.

Master

Get rid of Bear Pit

Paul
    Aside from the SC split, I mostly agree.

The Bear Pit came about, I think, as a sort of safety valve to avoid having unpleasant views and the resulting arguments on the main forum. In the end I think it began to encourage the expression of such views. A politics / current affairs sub-forum, keeping the G&D for other matters, is essential of course, but I think that some people considered the BP to offer some kind of protection from normal scrutiny.

The biggest worry for me is that our new overlords will choose the wrong mod(s) from the wide range of wrong mods available.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Aside from the SC split, I mostly agree.

The Bear Pit came about, I think, as a sort of safety valve to avoid having unpleasant views and the resulting arguments on the main forum. In the end I think it began to encourage the expression of such views. A politics / current affairs sub-forum, keeping the G&D for other matters, is essential of course, but I think that some people considered the BP to offer some kind of protection from normal scrutiny.

The biggest worry for me is that our new overlords will choose the wrong mod(s) from the wide range of wrong mods available.
    It seems doubtful that the BP has done anything to decrease forum rancour — I'd wager it's had the opposite effect. I actually like watches quite a bit, and having the petty conflicts initiated there from intractable differences of opinion doesn't seem to contribute much to their discussion.

Get rid of Bear Pit

Paul
    AGREE 100% .....this really is becoming a nasty and openly racist place. And for the ones that deny the racism, we know what you are. If the new owners are to make it more commercial then as long as the focus is on watches (which is what most here originally came for) then I think that a positive

Master

Get rid of Bear Pit

Paul
    Tend to agree Paul.

Or if the BP must stay, lock/delete the draft/moan threads, ban swearing (not that I'm a prude but I don't think it helps debate) and clamp down on the personal insults/feuds.

I think the rationale behind the BP was top keep the heavy stuff away from the main forum. Perhaps that worked once upon a time but these days I think it has a negative impact: the feuds and grudges spill over into the rest of the forum unfortunately.

I'm definately in the "leave the forum as it is camp".
    I dont think that there is any need to go just because some members ask for advice about which moisturiser to use or post pictures of Larry Grayson

Live and let live thats what I say

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    AGREE 100% .....this really is becoming a nasty and openly racist place. And for the ones that deny the racism, we know what you are. If the new owners are to make it more commercial then as long as the focus is on watches (which is what most here originally came for) then I think that a positive
    Again completely agree.

Master
    First, you can limit Ad Tracking on the mobile phone you use, as well as turn off various default settings if you’re signed into Google.
    You can use various Ad blocking extensions to prevent this stuff from ever being collected or presented.
    Of course, you could just not “Like” someone’s post about Dick’s shoes, in the first place – often times the simplest solution is to take the easiest option of doing nothing.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    A couple of mod's would do no harm, but getting the right person for the job is another matter.

Mini Hitler's a plenty on here.

Perhaps if there are a few volunteers from the membership,their 'applications' should be put to the forum at large to be voted on.

Mission statement

With Virtucon taking over isn't it about time we came up with a suitable Mission statement.

Master
    Belligero:

It seems doubtful that the BP has done anything to decrease forum rancour — I’d wager it's had the opposite effect

I think this is quite probably true.

I’m not extremely anti-BP; after all I have posted on it myself and I accepted its existence. However, I do wonder sometimes if, overall, it has encouraged members to feel free to speak to each other outside the BP in a way that wouldn’t occur otherwise.

*The reply with quote function is up the left.

This is my favourite forum due to the lack of moderation and the very British sense of humour in evidence. Having said that there is occasionally nastiness and bullying which is allowed to go too far, and there do seem to be some members who are here to cause trouble rather than to contribute to discussions about watches. I do think some light moderation to stop reasonable SC posts being trashed or watch-related threads being taken over by personal disputes would do no major harm.
    Can we also ban the word 'tactical'?

Grand Master
    What puzzles me is how people think they can play some sort of Jekyl and Hyde game, with a 'normal' persona for the rest of the forum and a thoroughly obnoxious 'alter ego' for the Bear Pit.

Maybe this place should become a democracy and we'll put things to the vote!

Here's a thought: Close the Bear Pit for a month and see whether forum behaviour/manners improves.

Paul

Master
    What puzzles me is how people think they can play some sort of Jekyl and Hyde game, with a 'normal' persona for the rest of the forum and a thoroughly obnoxious 'alter ego' for the Bear Pit.
    Such as who?

I just see that people are able to write more freely in TBP, much like in the pub vs in the office.

Master
    It’s such a difficult thing to get right. I assume Edie went through all this years ago: do you adopt Eddie’s approach and trust that generally, by and large, the group will self police? Let’s face, that worked more or less all the time for 12 years. Or do you risk losing valuable posts, thoughts and discussions by attempting to filter off the very extreme or the borderline illegal? To do it well takes time and thought.

Agree 100% with Paul and Robert.

Got to say I also concur with the views on keyboard warriors. We're here cos we like watches and have loads of other stuff in common too, yet too many just want to cause a ruckus from the safety of home. We need some moderation but who's best to do it?

Here's a thought: Close the Bear Pit for a month and see whether forum behaviour/manners improves.

Paul
    NO! The last time Eddie did this all the filth spewed out into other parts of the forum as they had nowhere else to go.

If it ain't broke...

Maybe this place should become a democracy and we'll put things to the vote!

Paul
    I am genuinely puzzled why folks are proclaiming the place has/is going to the dogs - the only thing that has changed is Eddie no longer owns the forum. I see little if any evidence that there is rafts of bad behaviour outside the BP - it's what the place is for surely?.

Eddie has booted a few off over the years and I am sure there will be more in the future but no need to really change anything significantly.

Putting anything to to a forum vote is a bad idea - nearly as daft as asking for an opinion on something!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Do all the members calling for moderation actually use other watch forums that have moderation? How do you find that?

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post

The banhammer has struck its target squarely in the face - he is currently having a good bitch about it on another forum...

What puzzles me is how people think they can play some sort of Jekyl and Hyde game, with a 'normal' persona for the rest of the forum and a thoroughly obnoxious 'alter ego' for the Bear Pit...<snip>

Paul
    It's possible that you have that the wrong way round & some posters' real persona is their funky BP one & everything they post in open areas is an alter ego.

I can easily think of a couple that would apply to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    The banhammer has struck its target squarely in the face - he is currently having a good bitch about it on another forum...
    LINK!

Master
    I'd be happy to see the end of the double avatar tbh.

A slightly bigger avatar of the users own choosing would be much better imo.

I don't see the need for any change, but if any, they should at least be put to vote. A bunch of people whinging about something on a thread do not necessarily represent the view of the majority in the community.

There will be changes I am sure, it's inevitable - but the more there are then the less it will be like the TZ we know and (mostly) love. Be careful what you wish for is all I'll say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    I use noscript and adblock in firefox and don't see as much advertisements unless I'm on my phone. Must see what android has to offer in this respect as I haven't bothered.
    I wonder if there will be a 'remove banner ads click here' button soon where you can make a payment to remove them.
    Root and AdAway and you're all set

To be on topic, am I the only one that finds it a tad weird the most recent posts being first? Although I've been here a couple of months now, I still click on the last page most of the time, because that's where I expect the latest replies of the thread to be (probably because this is the first forum I'm in that works this way). I'm fairly sure that there could be an option in the settings to change the sorting of the posts.

Other than this, there's nothing else that I would change

LE : Scratch that. I've just found it in settings. I knew I should have looked for it better
    Last edited by asteclaru; 12th November 2015 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Such as who?

I just see that people are able to write more freely in TBP, much like in the pub vs in the office.
    What pubs have you been in that you can use the language used in the bear pit? Do you honestly think the regular racist bile in the bear pit is somehow normal behavior in the outside world?

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    But they'll likely have to start their brown-nosing campaigns from scratch, as their considerable previous efforts appear to be for naught. Ha!
    Its already started.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Its already started.
    Those applying for prefects badges

ach5

layin-cable

Blog Entries
    Once you open the gates on moderation there is no going back. I personally don't like the idea of an arbiter that has the power to ban people just because they feel it's the right thing to do. To me it's very simple if you don't like what someone says then ignore it and move on. How anyone can get offended by what someone says on a forum is beyond me.

We need more unicorns. I don't recall a single one in the last year. Soundood would bring more unicorns fo shizzle.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    We need more unicorns. I don't recall a single one in the last year. Soundood would bring more unicorns fo shizzle.
    for you my dear,