closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things to Improve the Forum Under its New Ownership

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simon-c View Post
    I say leave as it is, its one of the best forums on the interweb

There is undoubtedly some tat pushed on SC but it makes for some good comments from those less than impressed

I've bought a few non-watch items via SC and largely because each time its been painless and with a level of trust that doesn't apply to other forums or fleabay

However, The first sign of multiple ads, spam or over moderation and I'm off
    Exactly! The forum 'as is' is why I return over and over again. Don't stirr up the SC rules. Point is that with the rules as they are -being a seller or potential buyer- you can (totally) trust the other side. No need to investigate the honesty of the ad! And in most cases, sellers on the SC know their 'target audience'. We all are more or less interested in the same stuff!

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Simple, put me in charge!

On a serious note, I think the regular (for me) parse errors and various minor technical issues could be looked at. There's also been a number of attempted hacks so I wonder if we can have security looked at to put minds at ease.

Also up for a sales corner split and the like button :)

Can you actually have a moderator who's already banned?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Can you actually have a moderator who's already banned?

R

Sure.... Multiple ID... Or a shared 'Moderator' login.
    ( What I mean is, its possible, but unlikely )

Get rid of post counts.

I'm all for quality over quantity.

Craftsman
    Another +1 for leaving things as is.

I keep coming back here simply because I find it the best watch forum around. Basically a good mix of watch and non watch discussions plus an eclectic mix of items to marvel over and sometimes buy.

Give it a couple of weeks and it will be obvious who the movers, shakers, moaners, nutters, and lurkers are. It always reminds me of the playground at school, you figure out the rules, find your own group of like minded souls, then you try to enjoy what the institution offers. Revolution is only necessary if the system is broken.

regards
    grant

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    On a serious note, I think the regular (for me) parse errors and various minor technical issues could be looked at. There's also been a number of attempted hacks so I wonder if we can have security looked at to put minds at ease.

Also up for a sales corner split and the like button :)
    To give credit back to the forum wasn't the 'hacking' as you put it through result of some members freely giving their login details away on another site as part of a phishing exercise?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Ban fakes, talk of fakes and anyone pushing a fake watch agenda.
    I think I would support this .. those threads inevitably generate more heat than light, probably because those contributors with a bit of experience and understanding with replicas are outnumbered by those who don't really know what they're talking about. Personally I don't ever start conversations about replicas and certainly have no "agenda" to promote; I have merely taken the same opportunity to express a sincere opinion on the subject as many others have.

Might be a hard one to ban though; this is after all an obvious place to ask the frequently-encounted "is this eBay item a fake?" question and a useful resource for people in that respect.

Grand Master
    What would I like to see changed? Genuinely nothing.

I have a whinge about the jumble sale crap in SC and wish people would show a little more respect (and self-respect) selling the stuff the charity shops wouldn't take, but I wouldn't change a thing about this place.

I know now what you mean,but not strictly true tbh.I don't think any of what I have seen can be said to be "charity shop" stuff,it's probably just stuff you have no interest in buying and so say what you did.
    Someone will always find use of others cast offs.

And I'm all for not wasting anything and think it great to browse sc and see the odd non watch related sales posts.

You will never keep everyone happy,so keep as is for me,it causes no one any harm either!.

This is a good place to hang out, especially the pub. Leave it alone please and no silly buttons.............................

Please don't try and fix something that is not actually broken. Less is definitely more in this case.

Oh dear…I've an awful feeling that all these suggestions is going to be like tugging at a piece of thread.

One suggestion:

Please post under your name, rather than the bland 'TZ-UK admin'. It's a bit too corporate.

This a club and names are important in a community. I know it's a small thing, and that you sign posts as Phillip, but a username in the spirit of the forum would so much more personable.

Before anyone suggest any changes, I suggest the new owners; talk to one of the mods on the RLT forum, make a note of all the things they've done and make it a firm point of principle to do none of them.

Master
    Leave as is - most will only moan about 'change'...

Plus - not everything is possible using of the shelf forum/bulletin software.

What I would like to see (and expect at some point) is some advertising on the site (google display network perhaps) - these guys deserve to be getting something back for the work they do and the cost of running a forum (which isnt cheap, in both money AND time)...

Other than that - perhaps th only thing I would change is the colour palette...

Blog Entries
    Can we have a Seiko sub forum, then we can keep all talk of crap watches out of the main watch talk forum.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    Before anyone suggest any changes, I suggest the new owners; talk to one of the mods on the RLT forum, make a note of all the things they've done and make it a firm point of principle to do none of them.
    So true!!!

Master
    Change nothing this place is great!

Split the SC if you have to but most of my purchases have been non-watch related and have done some great trades on the SC

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    You mean -if you don't agree with me I'll moderate you within an inch of your life Oberst gruppenfuhrer Jott?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    To give credit back to the forum wasn't the 'hacking' as you put it through result of some members freely giving their login details away on another site as part of a phishing exercise?
    This unfortunately was found to be orchestrated on on a few dozen sites across the internet. The way this scam was executed had little to do with security of the site and more to do with users being tricked and also using the same password for every other site they belonged to.
    -Philip

Banned
    Blog Entries
    1)do away with H&V and convert the positives and Negs, into positives and negatives under the usernames with a page for each user showing their transactions, with a link to the original SC thread.

all sales discussions to be kept on For Sale thread until the deal and price is agreed, then move to PM (transparency)

this set up would also need a 'Disputes Area' were SC threads could be moved to, if there was any issue, for instance no delivery or item not as described, this way it would keep SC tidy.

not that it is required, but in the end it is inevitable that Moderation will be needed in SC, to assist in any kind of dispute (rare) and to watch for any potential scammers, as the site gets bigger and more popular, this is going to be an issue.

and NO, I do not have the time to be a Moderator at the moment, and NO this is not a hidden agenda post, to nominate myself, trust me if I wanted it, I would have flashed off a PM to Philip, containing all the lovely details of my previous Mod experience on Sales forums, most recently AVForums.

I didn't.

on a side note, any admin knows the best way to introduce Mods is to recruit from the current membership, then they can discuss members in the hidden Moderators Forum, contained within the forum.

get noticed and you will make 'ze list'
    Last edited by soundood; 11th November 2015 at 20:42.

It's a great forum as it is, I suppose if I'm nitpicking there could be a 'Grand Seiko is better than these watches' subforum. And maybe a swingers section.

Make Soundood a moderator.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    And maybe a swingers section.
    Sounds great. 99.5% of TZUK membership being well off plump XL waist sized middle-aged blokes with small feet, so there's bound to be a LOT of dissatisfied wives!

Master
    I think we need 3 buttons...

1) Agree
    2) Like
    3) Thanks

Also splitting SC into 'Watch' & 'Non Watch' forums within a classifieds forum would be a good move.

Master
    On another forum I used to use, you could "star" (or "like") individual posts, and it was quite fun - if you made a particularly witty comment it would be nice to see all the stars. Also, you could search for the "most starred this week / month / ever" posts, and find the really good posts.

It was a fun function that would work well here, I think.

A "dislike" / "negative" button would NOT be good though, just to try and keep things positive.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Don't appoint moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Good idea - most of us are on ignore so he won't see our posts.

How about changing the rank avatars under user names to pictures of Carry On characters?

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    I see. And how does one get invited to it, kind sir? From what I read it seems like a good place to eat your popcorn in
    You need to befriend a Range Rover. And remember: pics or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post

all sales discussions to be kept on For Sale thread until the deal and price is agreed, then move to PM (transparency)
    LOL

Best left untouched

Blog Entries
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

What's all this about like buttons? This is not Facebook and I am not 16.

Journeyman
    Perhaps a decent mobile skin? I really don't like Tapatalk. Other than that, not much.

Remove Tapacrap.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Remove Tapacrap.
    Serious question, Chris - why would you want it removed? Isn't it just a matter of choice as to whether you use the full site or Tapatalk?

JK

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Forum is in desperate need of proper moderation and a good moderation team. IMO this has always been the case. I don't however expect many to agree. Turkeys won't vote for thanksgiving.

And so it begins. I like this place just the way it is. Why change what works and has for many years. Maybe I have been on watch forums and before that BBS for too many years.
    Last edited by koimaster; 12th November 2015 at 23:29.

i'd like a 'Dear Burnsey ' section for the man himself to answer in a straightforward manner any of life questions that people are having trouble with such as 'do these salmon coloured brogues look a bit shit' and 'does my wrist look big in this' .

depends if this sort of thing is a feature you can add or install the one thing I find lacking is: (or maybe it has one already and I was unaware!)

the ability to set up An alert on a keyword (i.e. set up triggers for '14060m' or '5513' or 'stroopwaffels' to get an email alert when someone posts with these keywords in the sales forum for instance)

would save skimming through the sales forum every day and cursing the missed bargains when away for a couple of days

Journeyman
    Its a great forum with a good mix of subjects and discussions.
    Its not many forums you can discuss and learn about watches, screwdriver bits and the best way to fold fitted sheets.
    Personally, I like it just the way it is.

Don't turn it into WUS or RLT. It started out as a watch forum but it's a whole lot more now. I lost interest in watches a long time ago but it's the other areas that still keep me interested.

Only thing I would change, is in the sales corner that above a certain amount of posts we are allowed access and see the threads/posts, but we cant see the attached pictures.

Fish

Master
    It's fine as it is and as others have pointed out like buttons and a wide selection of emoticons are for if you are 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    It's fine as it is and as others have pointed out like buttons and a wide selection of emoticons are for if you are 12.
    +1

Don't understand them at all. In what situation would we use stuff like these ?

Leave exactly as it is - forum nirvana.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

It gets a bit quiet around mid evening, when everyone's having their dinner. Can something be done?

What would I like to see changed? Genuinely nothing.

I have a whinge about the jumble sale crap in SC and wish people would show a little more respect (and self-respect) selling the stuff the charity shops wouldn't take, but I wouldn't change a thing about this place.
    I feel the same way. I think we've all gotten wound up about various things over the years but I wouldn't propose any significant changes.

-flugzeit