closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tiffany engagement ring cost?

Journeyman

Tiffany engagement ring cost?

Hello Guys,

Well it had to happen sooner or later I've been given several hints and i think it's time I got a ring fund sorted.

My girlfriend has made some rather vague noises towards a Tiffany engagement ring in the past which I've brushed off, but I'm now looking into.

basic question is how much would a Tiffany's engagement ring cost?
    Single stone
    round
    1ct
    nice cut and colour/clarity (not very accurate i know)
    Platinum setting
    6 prongs

I want a rough figure really. Well i was thinking something like £6-7k
    is this realistic or will i have to diet alot?

Best regards,

Smelly

Good luck Can't help with the price, but it's worth bearing in mind that the premium for a 1ct over, for example, a 96 point diamond, will be great. Does it have to be a 1ct? :wink:

It'll be money well spent.

Thomas Reid
    They have a website.

http://uk.tiffany.com

(I came out ahead on the ring side of things. My wife didn't want a wedding ring, but I did. So, she bought me one I picked out. :))

Best wishes,
    Bob

The wife's ring cost £90. From Commonside Jewellers in Sheffield in 1982.

Knowing no better is the big, possiblyy only, advantage of getting engaged when you are teenagers. :wink:

Grand Master
    I'm so happy that my partner of 20+ years has no desire for any ring - engagement or wedding! And she does not care that I spend my cash on watches ..
    /vince ..

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    They have a website.

Indeed they do.

I became aware of this last week, as mrs ralphy is off to New York this Thursday for some 'retail therapy' and wants a Tiffany key ring. She discovered that in the UK it's £60, however in the US its £42 ($85).

So her theory is "she's going to save a fortune - by buying lots of 'stuff' over there". :shock:
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    They have a website.

Indeed they do.

I became aware of this last week, as mrs ralphy is off to New York this Thursday for some 'retail therapy' and wants a Tiffany key ring. She discovered that in the UK it's £60, however in the US its £42 ($85).

So her theory is "she's going to save a fortune - by buying lots of 'stuff' over there". :shock:
    The more you spend, the more you save!

Best wishes,
    Bob

Journeyman
    I've had a look at the website earlier and unless i'm blind there's no mention of price for engagement rings.

was after something like this:
    http://uk.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.a ... oryid=1001

Master
    They will not post any prices on the web.... You wil pay a premium for a Tiffany diamond, but that box means an awful lot to women.

There are some pricing guides on the web. These sites have some interesting information:

http://www.thediamondbuyingguide.com/

http://www.pricescope.com/

One thing to think about is buying a diamond that is "blood" free. The movie raised the profile of this issue, but it has been around for decades. I won't get into a political rant about blood/conflict diamonds, but think about a Canadian diamond (called a polar bear diamond and marked with a microscopic, laser etched polar bear). They are a better option than buying an uncertified diamond which likely came from southern Africa where it would have paid for drugs and arms for warlords.... Obviously there can be forgeries, but buying from a reputable dealer is a pretty sure way to ensure an ethical purchase.

Good luck with the purchase.

Jay

Master
    If you spend 6-7k on the engagement ring, does that set a standard for the budget of the wedding ring and in fact the wedding? :D

Dave

As always, you can find what you're looking for on eBay :shock:

Hi Smelly,
    I was in NY in May and we did the lot:

Natural History Museum
    Central Park
    Tiffanys
    De Beers
    Maceys
    Yaddah, Yaddah, Yaddah

Tiffanys is 5 stories. The ground floor has all the rings and necklaces and about 200 staff. SWMBO looked and looked hard but considering the starting point for a ring was about £7K even she said "B**llox to this" (classy my Lass)

Premium pricing, although there was some amazing stuff there (lots of it fairly tasteless).

Buy her a £1K ring and have a £6K honeymoon (or even better 3 x £2K watches).

You know it makes sense :lol:

Regards,

Si

Craftsman
    I went to a jeweller my family have used for decades. He showed me the diamonds he had in the style she wanted and let me choose one. He also showed me the wholesalers invoice for them all and added about £200 for making the ring.

What I got was the style she wanted with a stone chosen by me and made by someone we know. Oh, and a replacement valuation for about twice what I paid. She got something with real personal meaning.

What we didn?t get was an off-the-shelf item at a grossly inflated price, which most high street jewellers would offer.

Just my thoughts (ps I know nothing about Tiffany?s)

Master
    Take a look at Blue Nile. They are a very reliable seller of internet diamonds, and you can get the same style settings as Tiffany, better diamonds, same workmanship and pay much less. The only thing you don't get is the blue box.

http://www.bluenile.co.uk

http://www.bluenile.com

Quote Originally Posted by raringtogo
    Hi Smelly,
    I was in NY in May and we did the lot:

Natural History Museum
    Central Park
    Tiffanys
    De Beers
    Maceys
    Yaddah, Yaddah, Yaddah

Tiffanys is 5 stories. The ground floor has all the rings and necklaces and about 200 staff. SWMBO looked and looked hard but considering the starting point for a ring was about £7K even she said "B**llox to this" (classy my Lass)

Premium pricing, although there was some amazing stuff there (lots of it fairly tasteless).

You know it makes sense :lol:

Regards,

Si

The voice of reason :) :) - sound advice.

Master
    As an idea - this diamond costs $7,300 (divide by 2 for £) from Blue Nile:

Stock number: LD01182188
    Price: $7,334
    Bank wire price: $7,224
    Carat weight: 1.03
    Cut: Ideal
    Color: F
    Clarity: VS1
    Depth %: 61.8%
    Table %: 60%
    Symmetry: Excellent
    Polish: Very good
    Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
    Culet: None
    Fluorescence: Strong
    Measurements: 6.45 x 6.50 x 4.00 mm

You can either buy it as a loose diamond and get it set in the UK, or use one of their settings for ~$800.

So - this way you can get her the ring she wants, and you save about 50% off your original budget.

No connection with Blue Nile other than as a happy customer.

I'm afraid that if she's sold on the Tiffany route there's not much that can be done - it's rather like having your heart set on (for example) a Rolex Sub and being 'persuaded' that a Marcello C or O&W is just as good at a fraction of the price. Part of you is still going to hanker after the Rolex.

Whether the Tiffany route is worth the astronomical mark-up is of course open to debate. There are plenty of smaller companies who can provide you with something unique and arguably better made but of course without the all important little blue box. The power of the brand I'm afraid. The more pragmatic will talk about residual or scrap value and the like, but that's a little unromantic.

At the end of the day common sense flies out of the window where fine jewellery is concerned.

Journeyman
    Guys,

Thank you for all the comments. I've been to Blue Nile and determined that i can get a very nice diamond and ring for about £7k (1ct or smaller, EX/VG cut, E colour, IF/ VVSI clarity, cutlet none) in a platinum setting. Looking at the pics on the Blue Nile website the ring just doesn't look anything like the Tiffany's one (I know all the photo shopping that goes on etc). Looking at the prongs and the way the diamond sits in the setting just does not like the Tiffany one.

Next stage "do I take her to look at them or do i surprise her?".......

I think you've made the right decision.

The "Build your own ring?" approach of Blue Nile probably appeals to men, but women aren't easily fooled. If it doesn't have the "Tiffany & Co." engraving inside the shank and the little blue box it ultimately doesn't matter how much you'll save on the stone. Just don't think about the sort of watch(es) you could buy with the money!

The surprise route is better IMHO.

If your future bride has her heart set on a Tiffany & Co. ring, and nothing else will be viewed the same, than your fate is sealed I am afraid (and Tiffany can chalk up another victory for their marketing department :) ). As you are aware there is no real difference between a Tiffany diamond and setting and any other very high quality certified diamond and well crafted setting. The exception would be their signature Lucida diamond, which I actually like, and their custom ring settings. There is a world of difference between the Tiffany settings and what is routinely available from local jewelers or sites like Blue Nile. However, having said that there is little difference in quality and design between the Tiffany settings and custom high quality settings available at select "high end" jewelry stores in major US cities. I saved over $4000 dollars over Tiffany by having my wife's engagement ring made at one such store nearly a decade ago, which I then spent on a Tiffany wedding ring! :lol: Tiffany still got my money, but by doing a little detective work myself and being able to wait about 3-4 weeks one could say that I got my Tiffany wedding ring for "free". My wife could not care less if it was Tiffany, Cartier or custom, as long as it was well made and stunning.
    My diamond was of the highest quality with perfect proportions and certified. It is easily of equal or better quality than any Tiffany diamond. I had to buy the diamond from one source and the setting from another. I am sure that the latter could have sourced an equivalent diamond, but the diamond dealer I used had exactly what I wanted in stock for me to review immediately. Interestingly his settings were very run of the mill even though he had literally thousands of diamonds in his rather large safe, some of which were over $1 million. Another consideration for me was that I planned a future upgrade for the 10th or 20th anniversary, and paying over retail for a diamond that I eventually plan to put into a necklace or earing makes no sense at all. The Tiffany wedding ring on the other hand should last the duration.
    I also have major issues with the so called rarity and exclusivity of diamonds, but in my mind an engagement ring calls for a diamond and nothing else.
    Follow your heart, do some homework, trust your judgement and pay special attention to what your future spouse expects and you will have no regrets either way. In retrospect, I think that my wife would have regretted me "overspending" by ~30% on an equivalent Tiffany ring.
    And in answer to your second question, a well crafted suprise proposal will create a memory which will last a lifetime, especially if she knows that the proposal is on the way anyway.
    Cheers!
    Brian

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..... ..... :wink:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Forget the argument of "just think of how many watches I'll be able to buy".

Just think how good the BJ will be the evening after you give her a £7k Tiffany Engagement ring. Ah, the memories............

CD :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdobson45
    Forget the argument of "just think of how many watches I'll be able to buy".

Just think how good the BJ will be the evening after you give her a £7k Tiffany Engagement ring. Ah, the memories............

CD :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Who says romance is dead :lol: :lol:

Had text message a couple of hours ago from mrs ralphy, who is in NY for a few days with her sister:

"Just having breakfast in Tiffany's, the staff in the store are all SO nice - and everything is SO much cheaper due to the exchange rate!"

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is not good.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Had text message a couple of hours ago from mrs ralphy, who is in NY for a few days with her sister:

"Just having breakfast in Tiffany's, the staff in the store are all SO nice - and everything is SO much cheaper due to the exchange rate!"

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is not good.

R
    Be afraid, be very afraid....... :shock:

Craftsman
    Buying Tiffany's diamond rings as opposed to a generic is like buying a Rolex over a Sandoz/Marcello.

If your better half has set her mind on one, then nothing else will do...

However, you could perhaps try to change her mind by hinting that she can get something with better specifications for roughly the same money, more clarity, better cut and size. But to try to buy her a same spec generic and save that money for watches is going to leave a bad taste in her mouth and jeopardise your watch hobby in the future...

Be warned tho, i tried the better spec argument and now she wants a better spec-ed tiffany... :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by calvinktlim
    Be warned tho, i tried the better spec argument and now she wants a better spec-ed tiffany... :shock:
    :shock: