closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT: Change of forum ownership

Craftsman
    As a total newbie, I'd just like to thank you for creating and running the Forum. Although I have not been here very long, I've found it really interesting and useful, as someone who has been involved in the Admin of a forum, I know that it's huge commitment.

May I also add my good wishes for a speedy and full recovery for your Wife.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As a recent member, I wish you the best and hope the forum maintains the same spirit with your reduced presence.

Eddie, I'm not the type for platitudes, but you've built something amazing here and I'm gutted you're leaving.

A lot of TZ will leave when you go. The thing that adds the value to the members, isn't necessarily the same thing that will add value to advertisers, so I do fear for the forum. I hope it doesn't turn into an asinine, over-moderated brand fest like every other watch forum I've visited.

This is the only watch forum I'm a member of, and if it turns into a clone of the others it'll be the last. I suspect a few others are similarly worried.

All the very best. You're not bad for a Tory.

Thanks for having us, Eddie. The number of members and regular posters is testament to the way you've run the forum. I hope Carol gets better and if she ever gets bored of your curry I'll happily take it off her hands!

Hello Philip and good luck...
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    But that was a day of deep joy and celebration! ;-)

This is much more bittersweet.
    And Howe.

Master
    Eddie, I've only just seen this thread and to say I'm taken aback is a massive under statement - I'm gutted. I completely understand your position and priorities and really wish you the very best and your wife, hopefully continual improvement. Like most of us on here I've thoroughly enjoyed my last, almost 8 years (where'd that go) and can't believe (neither can the wife) how much time I spend on here. I really hope it stays like you have made it, I really do, you should be very proud.

All the very best though and thanks again.

Craftsman
    Thank you Mr Platts. I've been a member on here a few years now, more of a reader than a poster but I've loved just about every minute. Lots of excellent posts and funny ones too. The forum is a credit to you. All bar one of my watches have been purchased on here, and the one that wasn't, I was massively helped by a few of the guys on here to make the purchase.

I wish you continued success with your Timefactors business and hope you wife's health improves.

Thank you Eddie for working so hard to make this a fun and educational forum. I wish your wife a speedy recovery and I hope that you come back to visit now and again.

Master
    As one of the more recent forum additions just wanted to wish you the very best of luck for the future Eddie and I hope your wife makes a full and speedy recovery. The best of British to you and yours.

Thank you for this forum, Eddie.

I have enjoyed learning and growing my interest in watches from the point that this place was introduced to me by a colleague, Shish and it's been a pleasure to be part of it, albeit, I'm sorry to say, for such a short time in the scheme of things.

What a lovely response from all the members here, although with mixed emotions for the future of the forum, I hope things continue as they are and you continue to be a great success.

I wish you and your wife all the best for the future.

Guy

A massive thanks to Eddie for the years of dedication to the forum, creating one of the nicest watch forums out there.

And a warm welcome to Philip! Hope this forum goes from strength to strength

Mark

Master
    I have enjoyed and I am sure will continue enjoying this fine forum that Eddie created.

It seems like a sensible decision for him given the circumstances and I am sure Eddie and Timefactors will benefit from having m rpfreeing up some time. Family does come first and I wish Eddie and his wife all the best.

Philip has his work cut out but we need to give the new owners a chance so good luck Philip.

Eddie, thanks for all that you have done, and will continue to do for the watch loving community. I wish you well and your wife the very best. A tough decision I'm sure but there is NOTHING more important than loved ones.

Master

Wow!

Like a few others it's a bit of a shock however forums do become a very large headache when trying to juggle family at the best of times however when things have gone wrong you need to concentrate on what's important and that's your family Eddie😉👍🏻
    Good luck Eddie and I hope all goes great for you!!
    Welcome Philip and here's to a new era!!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Eddie, I'm not the type for platitudes, but you've built something amazing here and I'm gutted you're leaving.

A lot of TZ will leave when you go. The thing that adds the value to the members, isn't necessarily the same thing that will add value to advertisers, so I do fear for the forum. I hope it doesn't turn into an asinine, over-moderated brand fest like every other watch forum I've visited.

This is the only watch forum I'm a member of, and if it turns into a clone of the others it'll be the last. I suspect a few others are similarly worried.

All the very best. You're not bad for a Tory.
    Very well put, I'm in full agreement.

Master
    Thanks Eddie for building this fantastic forum and community! I haven't been around too long but this is the forum I enjoy most and I hope it stays this way in the future.

All the best to you and your family.

Well I knew that one day something like this would happen but I am still gutted.I hope Mrs P gets better and thank you Eddie for TZ.I think it was a small part of the reason for my marriage break up last year but worth every minute.

Good luck.

BOOM !

Didn't see this coming and a bit of a shock. As all have said before good luck with the next phase Eddie and I hope you and your wife enjoy a bit more me time ;-)

Phillip, a warm welcome mate, I don't envy your task and you've got some mighty big boots to fill. Good luck and try and listen to the members where possible during the changes ahead as they are the forum after all ;-)
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

You can call me Philip,

Thanks for such an informal and relaxed intro, the pleasures all ours.

Good luck Eddie, I hope everything works out very well for you and the family.

Philip - welcome. All your responses sound positive so far, so, I hope the transition for members is as seamless as it can be - best of luck.

Scott
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Wow, what a shock!

This is hands down the best forum I use and fingers crossed long may it continue.
    Last edited by benny.c; 10th November 2015 at 23:07.

Eddie, congratulations for creating and presiding over an excellent forum that has brought enjoyment and entertainment to so many people and for the continued success of Time Factors: long may that continue. I'm sorry to hear about your wife and wish her a speedy recovery.

I've learned loads on here over the years and would like to add my thanks to all the others.

Philip, welcome and best of luck.

Gutted.

Eddie, I wish you and your Mrs all the very best, and it sounds like you are making the correct choice.

I fear this might be the beginning of the end for this forum though.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Wow, what a shock!
    This is hands down the best forum I use and fingers crossed long may it continue.
    Fingers crossed here too!
    -Philip

The transfer makes sense.
    Family will always comes first.

Enjoy the view from the other side of the shop counter Eddie.

Master
    Another big thank you to Eddie. It's been a blast and I wish you the very best of luck.

Simon

Banned
    I heard about this in the Summer but didn't think it would ever come to pass. TZ has been a great forum, let's hope that the freedoms and feel of the place that Eddie created remain untouched.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ-Admin View Post
    I carry a pocket knife, utility type. I have experience in rock climbing and like rope and knots and hanging off of things. I have never done military service, just not where I landed in life.

I have a meager collection of watches. The only tool watches I have are a Seiko orange monster and a Seiko military watch. I am wearing a seagull watch today that is in regular rotation in my wrist. I am on the hut for second hand Omega speed master. Not picky about the year or the reference. just hoping to find one in working order that is/was black with a nice patina. My wife and I bought vintage rolex date just watches for our wedding. Tried to find as close to our birth years in the reference as we could. I settled on one for her year quickly. She could not find anything she liked from my birth year so she went with one a little younger. A Sinn U1 watch is also on my list to acquire in the next 5 years, just with a lack of Sinn ADs in Canada and the poor exchange rate from CAD to USD its making the purchase have to wait for now. For the record my wife has a much nicer collection than I do but has been in the hobby longer than I.

-Philip
    I hope she joins and is treated with more respect than other female members. I for one think it is great you are taking over the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I heard about this in the Summer but didn't think it would ever come to pass. TZ has been a great forum, let's hope that the freedoms and feel of the place that Eddie created remain untouched.
    I certainly hope it does change

Quote Originally Posted by Dontblowsmoke View Post
    I hope she joins and is treated with more respect than other female members. I for one think it is great you are taking over the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

I certainly hope it does change
    She belongs to WUS and CanwatchCO a Canadian watch trading forum. She likes Rolex, SevenFriday, and specifically AquaTerra Omega watches. Beyond that she has a collection of vintage manual wind children's watches from Germany and USSR with custom made straps to fit her.
    -Philip

I hope she joins and is treated with more respect than other female members.
    Respect is earned and you have done nothing to gain any during your current tenure.

Grow up.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Good Luck Eddie, and thank you for a the last of this type of forum, the internet is a different place from what it was back in 2002, and sadly times must a change.

Master
    Eddie,
    Thankyou for hosting the forum for so long and in the unique form that it is.
    While on my first day you threw me out of the forum altogether because you did not believe anyone could have such a daft name as mine and that it must be the name of a business, that gave me a laugh and it's been a fun ride ever since.
    Your priorities are of course correct. Good luck to you and yours. Good luck to the new management; you chose them so we should have the faith to give them a proper go.
    Haywood M

I have this weird feeling of blinking... and then suddenly realizing that things you took for granted changed, as all things do...

Eddie - many, many thanks for creating the only forum (not just watches, any forum) that actually got me hooked. I think it's its Britishness, the almost complete freedom it allowed (and this is something I cherish highly in this exceedingly regulated new world order), the wit and the banter... and after all these, the complete frankness with which watches were discussed. I wish you and your missus all the best and good health!

Philip... pretty, pretty please, don't break the spirit of this place. It would be such a shame! And please confirm the stereotypes about the Canadians - polite and friendly will do just fine, thank you :)

Cheers,
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    TZ has been a great forum, let's hope that the freedoms and feel of the place that Eddie created remain untouched.

How's the latest current BP ban going for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    I have this weird feeling of blinking... and then suddenly realizing that things you took for granted changed, as all things do...

Eddie - many, many thanks for creating the only forum (not just watches, any forum) that actually got me hooked. I think it's its Britishness, the almost complete freedom it allowed (and this is something I cherish highly in this exceedingly regulated new world order), the wit and the banter... and after all these, the complete frankness with which watches were discussed. I wish you and your missus all the best and good health!

Philip... pretty, pretty please, don't break the spirit of this place. It would be such a shame! And please confirm the stereotypes about the Canadians - polite and friendly will do just fine, thank you :)

Cheers,
    Christian
    Usually this is the stereotype I get ask of the most.

-Philip

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Respect is earned and you have done nothing to gain any during your current tenure.

Grow up.
    Hopefully yours and your little gang of bullying friends posts are controlled.

I think I'd make the same decision in your shoes Eddie; you have to look after family. I hope that your wife is on the mend and doing well. A very big thank you to you for all your hardwork creating and maintaining many enjoyable years on the forum.

Philip welcome to the madhouse and the best of luck!

Hopefully yours and your little gang of bullying friends posts are controlled.
    As I said, grow up.

You will never gain any respect if you carry on as you have done previously. Somebody moderating a forum will ultimately be forced to censure you because you have an agenda which includes screaming 'bully' the minute somebody has an issue with your view or your politics.

Lets see what the new team make of your history and the spats you have engaged in.

Well done Eddie!

Among many other things, this forum proves that its not what you do but the way that you do it.

It's a great lesson for us all.
    Last edited by raysablade; 11th November 2015 at 00:28.

As I said, grow up.

You will never gain any respect if you carry on as you have done previously. Somebody moderating a forum will ultimately be forced to censure you because you have an agenda which includes screaming 'bully' the minute somebody has an issue with your view or your politics.

Lets see what the new team make of your history and the spats you have engaged in.
    For the moment I will politely ask the both of you to return to your corners. This thread and particularly this section of the site is not for you to bicker at each other.
    -Philip

Eddie - a huge "thank you" for creating the forum, and for running it (as it says in the title) "without oppressive moderation". Thank you also for never taking a penny from the forum, but instead channelling tens of thousands of pounds into the fundraiser, where is has helped the less fortunate. I wish you every success and happiness, and hope that your wife keeps well.

The "other" Philip - welcome, good luck, and please bear in mind that any changes you might make bring with them the risk of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Craftsman
    Wow, what news.

Firstly, thanks Eddie for all you have done here and speedy recovery for Mrs P.

As for the shift in forum ownership, change is always unsettling but I suspect that the outcome and future of this fine forum is very much in our hands.

If we continue to approach this place with the respect, care and enthusiasm it deserves, then I suspect Philip and his crew will be a light touch.

If this place becomes like the Daily Mail comments sections, then we deserve to crash and burn.

Good luck to us all ;-)

Craftsman
    Well this has come as a bit of a shock to me but I understand Eddie's reasons.
    Thanks to him for this wonderful forum which is simply the best.
    Hopefully under the new management this will continue.

I'm glad that TF is doing well and I look forward to the new projects you have.
    Family issues always come first and I hope your wife gets better soon.

Kind regards
    Adrian

Philip,
    Which side of Canada are you based in - I went to Vancouver in the early 80's - superb city and people, in fact the only place that I have ever been that I would happily live in - even got engaged in Stanley Park under the totem polls. I recall that the people there hated the East and the French speaking Canadian's - a case of two nations in one - whereabouts are you and yours based.

Master
    Nothing much more to say that hasn't been already. It's great to hear an independent, small, UK business is booming and that is the primary reason for having to relinquish ownership of the forum. Thanks for what is a wonderful resource, and I just keep my fingers crossed it stays very much the same as it is now.....

All the best.

Craftsman
    As I said, grow up.

Ditto

No more messing around here ;)

Craftsman
    Being a UK forum it seems odd it's now in the hands of a Canadian company which might cause issues not least the time difference .

Eddie has obviously created a great place and I hope this community will not turn out to be another target for cross marketing and self implode.

Blog Entries
    Eddie - I am shocked by this news. But given your circumstances I would have done the same. Family is paramount. I do send you best wishes to Mrs. P and yourself.

Philip - I do wish you the best - we Are of Anglophile bent here and proud of it. I joined because we all have a deep understanding of the Satirical and somewhat offensive Humour. And in this day and age spell checkers can make the written word somewhat garbage (sic).

Btw I am posting from British Columbia just off Vancouver Island, Victoria. Visiting my new grand daughter - one month old. Anyway I digress. . .

Sales corner has cost me dearly over the years - being a kind of watch rental scheme. I hope it continues. Though it seems to be more and more populated by dealers of one kind or another. Perhaps a time for shakeup on there?

a plea - don't flood with sponsorship.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th November 2015 at 01:23. Reason: spelling

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    A plea - don't flood with sponsorship.

Martyn
    Sorted that for you Mart - and I totally agree.