closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT: Change of forum ownership

Thanks, Eddie, for all the good times. I'm sorry that its come to this... but I understand your demands and priorities perfectly and wish you all the best with TF and your family situation.

Through all the up and downs on the forum over the years, for me, the fact is that TZ-UK has been far and away the best WIS community available. I welcome the new owners (and hello to Philip) and hope for more of the same for years to come... ;-)

-flugzeit

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Really don't know what that is supposed to mean. If you want to be insulting grow a pair first.

"grow a pair" that's a good bangkok post

Cheers Eddie and Welcome Phil

B

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    TZ-UK is the best watch forum in the UK due to its clientele and content, not because of its size or popularity. I don't think you can say the same of McD's. Can you believe there are some people who go there who don't even remove their hat when dining? Scoundrels.
    Its great and with proper moderation has a good chance of remaining great and even improving. It cannot possibly survive without. There is not even loyalty to the owner to hold in check now.

-

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You certainly seem to be fixated with moderation.

IMO it's never needed it.

mikee

In terms of content value and being a rewarding experience, TZ-UK has been on a downward trajectory from before and certainly since I joined!
    All posters aren't equal, it's the interesting and engaging people, you might call them 'Talent', who make it worthwhile for the rest of us. While the Talent has been getting on with the heavy lifting, unfortunately the Empty Vessels have been getting away with making too much noise with their inflated self-regard and idiocy (OK and the occasional Gag) - and for many this has long been a turn-off. Traffic Volume versus Quality?

So TZ-UK (or is that TZ-Canada) has new owners - well it was clearly coming. I'll admit it, my first reaction was to flounce off - but maybe not just yet. Let's not kid ourselves, financing the running of this place isn't a vocation, Eddie too makes money out of us - and as for rules, well there are some questions which we all skirted around. If nothing else, it should be interesting to see how things go under anonymous corporate moderation. If the spontaneity dissolves, if it becomes sterile and we anesthetized - then that's it.

The only other thing though, is those terms and conditions - lets see how that transpires.

Edit: Who am I kidding? - Make your mind up time is surely Now - before the anaesthetic kicks in.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 12th November 2015 at 13:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Found your niche then?

FWIW I've been here for 12 years and never found the need to put anyone on "ignore".

Sure, there are different types and a smattering of loonies on here but that just reflects life in general and not like some regimented boring place like most fora.
    Really don't know what that is supposed to mean. If you want to be insulting grow a pair first.
    Simply pointing out that with you banging on about lack of moderation all through this thread, to find that you are actually are a moderator would seem that you have indeed found your niche.

BTW don't bother with your pathetic "grow a pair" jibe. I'm not the one who is frightened of interaction with other people that is not "moderated".
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Simply pointing out that with you banging on about lack of moderation all through this thread, to find that you are actually are a moderator would seem that you have indeed found your niche.

BTW don't bother with your pathetic "grow a pair" jibe. I'm not the one who is frightened of interaction with other people that is not "moderated".
    Keyboard is like a Chieftain tank isn't it

My motivation is genuinely for the betterment of this forum

Master
    I have seen valuable and eminent members banned for dissenting from the line of command. I have seen bullies applauded and allowed to continue their oppression. These are things which should never happen.
    This is the problem with 'benign' dictatorships, nobody is ever clear on the rules, because they change according to the whims of the dictator. I think it is a huge shame that one of the watch world's foremost Heuer enthusiasts gets banned for reasonably expressing opinions backed with a weight of evidence, wheras a long time troll gets to spew his racism and bigotry on here daily and is repeatedly let back in to infect the forum time and time again. I agree that this just cannot be right nor healthy. If moderation means a clear set of rules, clear punishments for transgression and those punishments stick, i'm all for it.

Grand Master
    Firstly, a huge thanks to Eddie for the work he's done in making this forum what it is. Best wishes to Eddie and his good lady, I recall having to do all the domestic stuff when my missis broke her ankle.......it wasn`t easy.

Change was always going to happen at some point; as a person who enjoys change less and less as I get older I hope TZ stays pretty much the same as it's been for the last few years. 'It's not broken, don`t fix it' is my general sentiment.

People can argue long and hard about moderation and the lack of it. Overall I`ve few complaints; like many on here I`ve had my wrists slapped a couple of times (fully deserved).

What saddens me is the aggression and bitchiness that's all too prevalent, and that's something that could probably be controlled by stronger moderation. I`m as happy as anyone to have a lively discussion and I accept that folks will disagree with me; that's fine and it's all part of the fun. However, all too often people turn a discussion into a character assassination and the keyboard warrior behaviour comes to the fore. This forum has it's fair share of forum bullies and I am inclined to agree with some of Java's comments.

The one major change I`d make is to the Bear Pit. Get rid of it, simple. The G & D is the place for discussions in general and if folks can`t keep it civil they shouldn't be on here. Bear pit reminds me of the certain areas of school where the school bully and his gang ruled the roost. We'd be better off without it.

The only other forums I go on are classic car-related and the standard of behaviour/good manners is generally far higher than here........there's definitely room for improvement and hopefully the new boss will take this on board.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 12th November 2015 at 12:08.

Keyboard is like a Chieftain tank isn't it
    Not at all.

It's just that I accept people for what they are.

I don't need sheltering from stuff I disagree with or positively dislike.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Moderation or no moderation, someone wrote in one of the many threads regarding this new ownership, that TZ-UK was like slipping on an old pair of treasured shoes, putting on a kettle and all that.

Now this has been mentioned many times before, but even if this forum swollowing monster leaves this as it is, it's lost it's sparkle for me.

I didn't even know Eddie, only his hairy arms from the watch pics, bought a few watches, got banned a few times, but I still have that picture in my mind of one man in Yorkshire ruling over his flock

And for me that's gone now.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    My few cents. I've been since nearly the beginning... It didn't need moderating in the first few years. It had a good atmosphere. My God does it need it now!
    Aiiiiiii
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    . I think it is a huge shame that one of the watch world's foremost Heuer enthusiasts gets banned for reasonably expressing opinions backed with a weight of evidence, wheras a long time troll gets to spew his racism and bigotry on here daily and is repeatedly let back in to infect the forum time and time again. .
    Well said that man
    Last edited by seikopath; 12th November 2015 at 12:43.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    I'm surprised but not shocked, given family commitments and business. I've been here for 12 years now and, for fear of being flamed, it is less friendly at times than once it was. However, it is still a great place and long may it continue. Eddie, thanks for starting the place - there have been some real characters come and go and I have made some good friends. There is a real sense of trust on here - which very few have abused, hopefully that will continue.
    I wish your wife a full recovery, you all the best for the future, and finally - good luck to Phillip and the new admin team (I suspect they may need it initially).

It was always going to happen one day but it's still a shock. I really hope it remains more or less the same.

TZ UK is dead - long live TZ UK !!!

James

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for a great resource and forum.

Sorry to hear about your wife's very sad events.

Wish you all the best.

Dev

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Moderation or no moderation, someone wrote in one of the many threads regarding this new ownership, that TZ-UK was like slipping on an old pair of treasured shoes, putting on a kettle and all that.

Now this has been mentioned many times before, but even if this forum swollowing monster leaves this as it is, it's lost it's sparkle for me.

I didn't even know Eddie, only his hairy arms from the watch pics, bought a few watches, got banned a few times, but I still have that picture in my mind of one man in Yorkshire ruling over his flock

And for me that's gone now.

Daddel.
    Nice sentiment Rich.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Nice sentiment Rich.
    Seems to come automatically when old age creeps up on you............:)

Daddel.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not at all.

It's just that I accept people for what they are.

I don't need sheltering from stuff I disagree with or positively dislike.
    It is not about you and it is not about me. I will also speak my mind, anywhere on or off line, although I find it distasteful to be in the company of bullies and bigots. However some won't and they are valuable and we lose them.

Master
    Thanks for providing an excellent forum Eddie. I have enjoyed my few years on here very much, although sadly don't get the time to post as much as I would like now. Best of luck with Time Factors, and I hope your wife's health improves.

It is not about you and it is not about me. I will also speak my mind, anywhere on or off line, although I find it distasteful to be in the company of bullies and bigots. However some won't and they are valuable and we lose them.
    Then I guess you will feel more comfortable elsewhere.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    very best of luck eddie, your mrs and your business have to come first.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

May I add my thanks to Eddie for starting all those years ago this remarkable forum. Which I have enjoyed and continue being a member of :))

I hope that your good lady returns to health soon.

I hope that you will not be a stranger?

And may I add a warm welcome to Philip and his team :)

Cheers

Tony

- - - Updated - - -

May I add my thanks to Eddie for starting all those years ago this remarkable forum. Which I have enjoyed and continue being a member of :))

I hope that your good lady returns to health soon.

I hope that you will not be a stranger?

And may I add a warm welcome to Philip and his team :)

Cheers

Tony

Just seen all this!!!

I'd like to add my thanks to Eddie. TZ-UK has been the best watch forum I've been on. I've learnt much, spent more and made some good friends as a consequence of my membership.

Fingers crossed for the future.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Whoa, the end of an era!

Eddie, the best of luck with Timefactors and best wishes for your wife's recovery.

Thank you.

Master
    Thank you Eddie for providing such a great community over the years. I have learned alot and met a few great people. I hope it retains this tight knit community. Best of luck for your future and hope your wife gets better soon.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Then I guess you will feel more comfortable elsewhere.
    I one would miss him: It is the different facets that make a diamond.
    Moderating would dull it all and drop it in the bland grey porridge of virtually indistinguishable fora.

For the rest it is my opinion that in general individuals would benefit from realising that táking offense is an action on does oneself.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the use of a great Forum Eddie.

Missing you already!

Only just seen this.

Thank you Eddie for your sacrifice (time, money, effort) in setting up and running this wonderful forum. I've a relatively recent member (2009), but have leaned a lot and visit the forum daily. You really have touched so many lives around the world, quite a feat.

Sorry to hear of your wife's fall and mobility issues. I wish you both every blessing.

Finally, I hope that this place doesn't change, although I'm not convinced it won't given the desired broader reach for new members. However, it's been fun while it lasted nonetheless.

Good look to you in the future Mr Platts and I wish your wife a speedy and full recovery asap.

I have been a member but not a poster here for a few years and in my humble opinion you created one hell of a forum and I have always enjoyed visiting to Look, Learn and have a Laugh :)

The very best to you both.

Thanks Eddie and I hope things continue to go well on the business front for you. Sorry to hear about your Mrs and clearly all that stuff has to come first. I'm sure you thought long and hard about this and have handed stewardship of this fine forum to a trusted new overseer. Thanks again for all the time and energy you have invested in this forum. We have all benefited immensely from that in many different ways.

Thanks for all the hard work here, Eddie, it can't have been an easy place to run over the years. I hope your wife's health improves.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    My few cents. I've been since nearly the beginning... It didn't need moderating in the first few years. It had a good atmosphere. My God does it need it now!
    I would agree. As the forum has gotten larger and larger the vendetta and troll posting has gotten out of hand. Anyone here a while can see that.

I'm new here in comparison to many but know you've been doing this for years till I came across it Eddie.

I've started a nicely building Moto GP thread that's been fun and bought my first watch off SC here...

it's a nice place to be 99% of the time with only the odd bad apple .... I hope it doesn't change too much it's so much more relevant than watchuseek for instance to me...

So long and best wishes and all the best to you and family Eddie....

Best wishes for the future, Eddie!

I hope everything works out to be ok with your (half track) Mrs.

Just caught up with this. Many thanks Eddie for all your hard work over the years and best wishes with whatever you do.
    I hope Mrs P is OK.

Welcome to the new mods ( I hope they are not kept too busy)

Frank

Echoing all the thanks to Eddie, and best wishes to him and his wife. TF got me into watches, and (like many others) the forum has allowed me to play, explore and share in a consistently good environment.

I'll be watching TimeFactors with great interest, and keeping in touch here.

Hi Eddie, Many thanks for all your efforts over the years and best wishes to Mrs Platts and yourself for a well earned break … and Good Health for you both.

… and a hearty welcome to Philip & Co.

Regards

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I'd like to add my thanks to Eddie and to wish him, his family, and his business well.

Also welcome to Philip. This is my favourite forum due to the lack of moderation and the very British sense of humour in evidence. Having said that there is occasionally nastiness and bullying which is allowed to go too far, and there do seem to be some members who are here to cause trouble rather than to contribute to discussions about watches. I do think some light moderation to stop reasonable SC posts being trashed or watch-related threads being taken over by personal disputes would do no major harm.

Eddie, although we've not always seen eye to eye I will still miss your 'method of operation' I hope the wife continues to improve and hope that you can focus your energies where needed. TTFN

Thanks for all the kind words chaps, it's a bit like reading eulogies about someone you knew but can't recognise them from what's being said ;-) A good deal of thought went into making the decision to sell the forum and I changed my mind half a dozen times before finally deciding to sell. Having founded and nurtured it for 13 years you can rest assured that I have no intention of handing over to someone who might undo all the work I've done. I completely understand some feelings of trepidation at the unknown taking over from the familiar and no doubt things will be different but different doesn't mean worse, some things might actually be better.

All I ask is that you hold fire for a while and see what happens: if you think they're getting it wrong then tell them but not in the manner you might if you were posting in The Bear Pit. Having acquired an asset, the last thing Verticalscope want to do is destroy it so bear that in mind and think before you speak. It's not about what's best for an individual, it's about what's best for the forum as a whole.

I'll still be chipping in my two penn'orth, you can't get rid of me that easily ;-)

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    It was good to read that, Eddie.

Agreed on the holding fire, and waiting and seeing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    I just wanted to add my thanks to Eddie for this very special forum he created. Won't be the same.

I wish you all the best and best wishes to your wife a speedy recovery.

Steve
    Cannot say better than the above. My greatest respects and thank you Eddie!

I have a tear in my eye. It's the first time I've been called an asset (even if it is a tiny fraction of one).
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Thanks for all the kind words chaps, it's a bit like reading eulogies about someone you knew but can't recognise them from what's being said ;-) A good deal of thought went into making the decision to sell the forum and I changed my mind half a dozen times before finally deciding to sell. Having founded and nurtured it for 13 years you can rest assured that I have no intention of handing over to someone who might undo all the work I've done. I completely understand some feelings of trepidation at the unknown taking over from the familiar and no doubt things will be different but different doesn't mean worse, some things might actually be better.

All I ask is that you hold fire for a while and see what happens: if you think they're getting it wrong then tell them but not in the manner you might if you were posting in The Bear Pit. Having acquired an asset, the last thing Verticalscope want to do is destroy it so bear that in mind and think before you speak. It's not about what's best for an individual, it's about what's best for the forum as a whole.

I'll still be chipping in my two penn'orth, you can't get rid of me that easily ;-)

Eddie

Good to hear.

We are just grown up kids that whine every now and then, don't take it personally.

Take care big man :)

Daddel.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I have a tear in my eye. It's the first time I've been called an asset (even if it is a tiny fraction of one).
    I've been called a liability on a few occasions.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

That was a slight typo, it should have read ass et zob, I missed out a word.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Hello

TZ UK was a great place to be and we can only hope it will continue to be so.

There is no reason why it shouldn't if it stays more or less the same and unchanged, with possibly a few tweaks. Possibly!

Very sorry to see Eddie go. As the Guvnor he only got involved when he felt he needed too and only i imagine as a last resort.

I wish him and Mrs Eddie all the best for the future and hope he realises that his creation is something to be extremely proud of.

And i for one feel extremely privileged to be a member of this forum.

Now enough of that sentimental rubbish, we're not American!

Craftsman
    I've been called a tool many times, never an asset :-P

Wise words from Eddie, let's carry on as normal and give this time to settle.

Master
    Thank you for providing this great forum over the years Eddie.

All the best for the future and hope the Mrs has a good recovery.

Regards

Dave