closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SalonQP - What watch are you wearing

Master

SalonQP - What watch are you wearing

So just counting down now till next week where it will be my first time at any watch event, so was wondering which watch to take to the event and was wondering what others might be taking?

Heh, I wanted to post a thread this but didn't have the guts!

Usually a JLC as I usually go with them, but this year I'm going with Jean Rousseau the strap makers in Piccadilly. So the FP Journe on the right as they made the strap for that (they also did the Breguet's strap).

Probably a Reverso.

Master
    Hmm maybe the AP ROO or IWC Annual Calendar.

The JLC movement construction exhibition last year was so good! It was a pleasure to watch such skill at work. I'll be wearing my Speedmaster chronometer.

Craftsman
    I'll be wearing my vintage Vacheron, as I'm taking advantage of the complimentary appraisal and archive extract at the Vacheron stand.

Ah, I forgot there was a VC stand...

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Ah, I forgot there was a VC stand...
    Such hard choices to make

The fp is a stunner, but your VC is certainly a conversation piece....

Probably a MetaWatch Strata - the notifications are minimal but sufficient and it has the added bonus of avoiding upsetting any of the exhibitors.

G-Shock

JK, possibly a nice Zenith manual wind.

Most likely my Dornbluth 99.4 or maybe the 45th Apollo 11 Speedy or the Milgauss Z blue or...

Don't think I have made up my mind!

Master
    Wow some interesting watches that will be on the wrist....

Still not sure which to wear

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'll be wearing bugger all as for the second year in a row, I can't make it.

Bloody family wanting to meet my new son. Sods.

Not sure I am going - but if I was I would be wearing a Schofield :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Not sure I am going - but if I was I would be wearing a Schofield :)
    Love their watches

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    G-Shock
    How witty.

Usually a JLC as I usually go with them, but this year I'm going with Jean Rousseau the strap makers in Piccadilly. So the FP Journe on the right as they made the strap for that (they also did the Breguet's strap).

That Journe sure is lovely on that strap, that'd be the one for me- if I could choose:/

Looks like we'll be at the grandparents' in London so I should be able to make it on Thursday. If I can, I suspect I'll be wearing either 2446C or Marine Chronometer.
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    One of the things I will really miss. Too far for me . Enjoyed it the last few years . Hope you all have a great time whatever you wear. I always used to try to wear something that wasn't being exhibited.

I hope I can attend SalonQP again this year. If I do go, I will either be wearing the one below or a Lange 1815 chronograph.

I just ordered a strap from Jean Rousseau too! First time I bought from them and feel satisfied so far. Fabulous prices and customisable options.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    I hope I can attend SalonQP again this year. If I do go, I will either be wearing the one below or a Lange 1815 chronograph.

I just ordered a strap from Jean Rousseau too! First time I bought from them and feel satisfied so far. Fabulous prices and customisable options.
    Fantastic UJ there. One of the best set of hands on any watch, ever.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I'll be wearing bugger all as for the second year in a row, I can't make it.

Bloody family wanting to meet my new son. Sods.
    Hurrah! Thanks to a local friendly watch shop, I'm now going on Thursday night.

Probably wear my Comex so people can laugh at me for wasting so much money on an executive gift.

I'm going Thursday night- it's the only time worth going IMHO.......
    one doesn't like to mix with the riff raff on the other days.........

Grand Master
    Will have to be Friday and .......
    RIAC

I'll be there Thursday VIP wearing one of these,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK) View Post
    I'll be there Thursday VIP wearing one of these,

Stunning, understated and elegant, quite the package. Every day is like a school day on here for me, as another poster has also said.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I'm going Thursday night- it's the only time worth going IMHO.......
    one doesn't like to mix with the riff raff on the other days.........
    I've not got my ticket yet. What time does it kick off on the Thursday please?

I'll be there Thursday VIP wearing one of these
    Good stuff. See you there. Am really tempted to go old skool #pocketwatchnerd

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Good stuff. See you there. Am really tempted to go old skool #pocketwatchnerd
    The best thing about pocketwatches is one can also wear a wristwatch ;)

The best thing about pocketwatches is one can also wear a wristwatch ;)
    I know it's a 'firstworldproblem, but as someone who spends far too much time with watchmakers, marketing people and retailers, it's important *not* to cause offence. I know many will attempt to wear the same brand as their hosts (so I imagine there will be a lot of Tudors tomorrow, as well as JLCs) but if you're trying to be independent, should you wear anything at all? At least my early 19th century quarter repeater is "no name".

I know it's a 'firstworldproblem, but as someone who spends far too much time with watchmakers, marketing people and retailers, it's important *not* to cause offence. I know many will attempt to wear the same brand as their hosts (so I imagine there will be a lot of Tudors tomorrow, as well as JLCs) but if you're trying to be independent, should you wear anything at all? At least my early 19th century quarter repeater is "no name".
    Im sticking with my casio, usually avoids any of those problems./
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I honestly don't think anyone really cares. Wear what you want, wear for yourself not to please someone else!

I know many will attempt to wear the same brand as their hosts
    Indeed, hence I have always worn a Jaeger-LeCoultre.

This year though, the FPJ I think is the most interesting thing in my watch box right now and the strap was custom made by my hosts so it seems entirely appropriate :)

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly don't think anyone really cares. Wear what you want, wear for yourself not to please someone else!
    Obviously we care ourselves or wouldn't be talking about it..?

I think you know me well enough to know that I overthink just about *everything*...

Sigh.

i'll be wearing the cheapest watch there :-(
    Probably a 70's stainless Tissot seastar as its my 'dress' watch.
    I shoot for QP magazine so i'll be their guest, the next issue features the Montblanc/Minerva that's being launched at SalonQP that I shot in the Minerva manufacture in Villeret a couple of weeks ago.

I don't own any wrist bling yet and the last few years of handling some very expensive watches have given me an itch I need to scratch, hopefully seeing some timepieces at QP will help me decide.
    That's also why i joined here.

The show opens today at 3:30 so we can see some of the watches before the Champagne arrives at 6.

My wife is now wavering on going to London to see her parents for a long weekend as planned (which allowed me to get a ticket for tonight - extra babysitters), I need to persuade her that we should go, safe in the knowledge that however subtly I do it she will bring it up forever as me forcing her to go so I can go out looking at watches. Wish me luck...
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Wish me luck...
    *sigh*

I'm lucky that my best pal has agreed to come with me and she has decided we don't see each other often enough... that's the only reason I'm going!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good night. Some nice watches on display. Got my first real look at the Sinn Hydro and debated yet again about picking up a Muhle Glassute SeaBattalion (or however you say it).
    The only slight ball ache was not drinking in a place where there was free champagne at every turn!

This is my first visit to salon QP.

I realise it is an exhibition and this may be a silly question but can you actually purchase any of the watches or strike deals on the day/night?

Just wondered?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    This is my first visit to salon QP.

I realise it is an exhibition and this may be a silly question but can you actually purchase any of the watches or strike deals on the day/night?

Just wondered?
    Both the watches I looked at were available to buy although I suspect not to take home that day.
    If you approach the Page and Cooper stand, you can get a discount on their prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Both the watches I looked at were available to buy although I suspect not to take home that day.
    If you approach the Page and Cooper stand, you can get a discount on their prices.
    Thanks Dave

I thought there was some very nice female eye candy on display tonight......where there is free champagne there is always some talent...
    the event certainly seems to be going from strength to strength......
    I was introduced to the QP magazine editor Timothy Barber who seems a very nice unassuming bloke......cushy job if you love watches-

A QP photographer took a wrist shot of my watch for the forthcoming mag feature on what visitors to the show were wearing-
    I don't mind the worldwide exposure because I doubt a small photo of my Gorilla hairy hand will lead to fame...well I hope not-
    maybe C4 'Embarrassing Bodies' will be in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post

A QP photographer took a wrist shot of my watch for the forthcoming mag feature on what visitors to the show were wearing-
    I don't mind the worldwide exposure because I doubt a small photo of my Gorilla hairy hand will lead to fame...well I hope not-
    maybe C4 'Embarrassing Bodies' will be in touch.
    "Beauty and the Beast?"

Master
    FP Journe himself was there!!

Good night last night, far too warm in there. I've not checked my pictures yet, i'll post any that are half decent.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    FP Journe himself was there!!
    damn , I got a vip invite from friend in the industry , with food and booze to boot afterwards

knew I shoulda booked a flight down and went :)

Did anyone have an opportunity to look at the new Dennison watches? The pictures they posted on Instagram look quite promising...

Quote Originally Posted by subsmile View Post
    Did anyone have an opportunity to look at the new Dennison watches? The pictures they posted on Instagram look quite promising...
    i’m going to have a good look at those tonight as the website info is non existent and there’s just a few things on instagram, they need to work on their social media a bit more.

https://www.instagram.com/p/-BSns2Ohnc/

Master
    Just got back from a very enjoyable morning there. Lots of wonderful eye candy at all levels, from Shinola to RW Smith (the man himself was there showing off his new Series 3 and 4).

I saw the Dennison watches which looked nice. The dials were lovely, particularly a greyish/brown one, but I wasn't keen on the bezels.

A few surprises that I've never even heard of - be sure to seek out Lang & Heyne on Level 1, absolute glorious handmade German watches. One of them had a Mammoth Ivory dial, freshly dug from the Russian permafrost - that's what I call a USP!

Voutalainen dials were superb, MB&F machines awesome, and the Vacheron ultra-thin minute repeater is my new grail :)

And I completely get now why people are so crazy for H Moser & Cie - they really have to be experienced in the flesh.

Disappointed not to see JLC there, but no shortage of wonders to delight and surprise :)
    Last edited by MadeOfCheese; 13th November 2015 at 15:53.