closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, what is a barn find?

Banned

So, what is a barn find?

I’d say this...

My biggest flipping regret was a lovely SM300 rebuild. I had it for quite some time, but the WIS illness we suffer meant it was foolishly flipped.

That said, I had a cracker, so albeit I did have the desire to get another, it just wasn’t ticking all the boxes - what I needed was an original, so off I went on the hunt.

I started with research, reading all available information on the world wide web, including some from our very own membership. I knew what I wanted, which basically narrowed it to a without doubt all original watch from the mid to late 60’s.

Despite searching all the usual sources, everything was, quite honestly, crap, so I sort of gave up and placed a flimsy Want To Buy ad here. Then, true to form of this old place, I received the PM...

The result brings to an end a long search and hobby, which will now just be browsing, as I need nothing more.

It is a 25m serial, dating to 1967 (one off birth year - you can’t have everything) with every single original part. God it was filthy. The case back gasket had turned into slush, the plexi (with omega symbol) was heavily scratched, but the movement was untouched and the dial and hands to die for. It had certainly never been opened, never mind serviced. A true one owner watch, without tamper or modification.

Case Back

Opened to reveal movement

Inside case back

That wonderful dial and hand set

Now matched up with a correct bracelet

And a quick clean and sanding of the plexi

Yes, it’s not pristine and the bracelet looks all of a tenners worth, but it’s not far off 50 years old and has been used every day to its fullest. Some say triggers broom, but I am happy, which is all that counts.

Thanks Colin, for the help and the photographs in this post.
    Last edited by burnsey66; 3rd November 2015 at 16:49. Reason: Pics Added

Master
    Nice one Steve. Hope it brings many years of unbridled enjoyment.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like that steve.. far more than the modern omega offerings.
    Plus, im one of those dreadful types who likes a bit of swirl and scuff.
    Excellent find :)

Looks OK to me.

It looks like a 50 year old watch that's been used, not abused.

Very stylish too!

M.

Master
    Thats lovely and the dial is fantastic. I would have to treat it to brush and polish though.

I agree with Verv, that nicer than anything they make today. The aged dial and hands look amazing too.

I would have to treat it to brush and polish though.
    While I understand why I wouldn't touch it. Its an old watch, nothing on it looks too bad. Let it wear its age.

Master
    Not an Omega man, but I could almost bring myself to wear that. Biggest compliment I've ever paid on an Omega thread.

Enjoy it, lovely feeling. Well done,

H

Great pictures and thats a great find well done.

Excellent watch - I have been looking into these old 165.024's since Mike Wood posted a military version on his website recently. I haven't truely got my head around the NOS versions floating around like the attached currently on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Seam...sAAOSwjVVVzGSH

As these a viable proposition or are they simply dismissed as no more than Frankenstein watches. I am sure this has been discussed before, but it didn't pop up in any recent threads on the search button.

I have seen a few claiming to be original on Chrono 24.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 3rd November 2015 at 17:50.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Wonders never cease. An interesting post by Mr Burns without slagging off OTFS, SC in general or moaning like an old woman....!!! I'm impressed.

Also impressed with the watch as well, it looks in outstanding condition. I hope you're not planning on adding the Omega NATO at about £2309999....

Do you know anything if the history of the watch??

What an absolute beauty. Keep it forever.

Very nice mate!

Look at that dial and hands!! Gorgeous! Enjoy - I'm sure you will.

Great find Steve. My all time favourite Omega and that dial and those hands

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Wonders never cease. An interesting post by Mr Burns without slagging off OTFS, SC in general or moaning like an old woman....!!!
    Yes, it's very odd. His account must have been hacked

A lovely piece of history bought back to life

Who serviced it and did they have any interesting comments on the movement ? Was it still running when you got it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Excellent watch - I have been looking into these old 165.024's since Mike Wood posted a military version on his website recently. I haven't truely got my head around the NOS versions floating around like the attached currently on e-bay:

As these a viable proposition or are they simply dismissed as no more than Frankenstein watches. I am sure this has been discussed before, but it didn't pop up in any recent threads on the search button.

Search for Watchco Seamaster & you'll get opinions galore.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Wonders never cease. An interesting post by Mr Burns without slagging off OTFS, SC in general or moaning like an old woman....!!! I'm impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    Yes, it's very odd. His account must have been hacked
    I love watches. I don’t like dealers, freeloaders, dual identity morons, or the sale of second hand clothes, corporate gifts, or tat bought from work at a discounted price.

And breath...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Who serviced it and did they have any interesting comments on the movement ? Was it still running when you got it ?
    It hasn’t been serviced and runs absolutely fine (!).

The member who sourced it knows much about these and considers it highly unlikely the back has ever been off. Apparently, the bezel has three ball bearings and all are original on this. Completely as it left Omega.

That said, following a little time on the wrist, I will be having the movement serviced, but no more.

Well done Steve, a honest vintage watch is a rarity these days and a honest unmolested SM30 even rarer, enjoy it, it's lovely.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Lovely watch with really attractive patina. I wouldn't wait too long before that movement service but otherwise the approach is spot on.

Lovely piece, that's stood the test of time and all that's been thrown at it

Craftsman
    Lovely watch you have there like you say so much more soul than the modern remakes

I know you're funny about vintage and water resistance - new gaskets and a pressure test? Or risking it..?

Truly one of the great Omegas, up there with the Ed Whites and the 60s gold Constellations for me.

Journeyman
    What a belter. Beautiful and still plenty of character left in it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I know you're funny about vintage and water resistance - new gaskets and a pressure test? Or risking it..?
    Risking for a few weeks, then the full shebang mate.

That looks lovely, Steve - well done, mate, and i can see you keeping hold of that as well.

Ooost that's a bit tasty Steve. I have only had a couple of regrets and along with selling my Autavia GMT, flipping the SM300 from Foggy is right up there. I did pretend I'd sold it because I preferred the big triangle version but I'm kidding myself really.

Enjoy it. On the off chance you do get bored of it at some point I'm always here!!

That's a fantastic SM! Shame you flipped it

Master
    Oh god. I love that. Well may you wear. *jealous* :)

Exceptional dial - great find :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Lovely,Steve. Enjoy it,mate.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely that

Great watch and one on my list

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

You can get them for under £1500
    (the watchco ones)

Master

Well done Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    (the watchco ones)
    Watchco are 'triggers broom' watches and supply is iffy.

That's a great find; lovely watch.

Grand Master
    (the watchco ones)
    Where?

I built two last year when parts were available at sensible prices. It would now cost far more than £1500 to build one properly....and that's excluding the labour cost.

Sadly some of the NOS ones have very iffy movements. People have simply stuck in a running 565 or 552 from a scrap watch gold-plated Omega in poor condition. Restoring these movements properly isn`t cheap thesedays, and there's no point paying a strong price for a 'new' watch with a worn out movement. I've heard stories that some of the Watchco ones weren't brilliant; the ones built by STS are a better bet, STS sort the movements properly and don`t skimp on parts.

With Swatch Group stopping supply of Omega parts to wholesalers, the demand for movements will inevitably increase as people strip them for spares. I`ve stopped trying to buy them thesedays because they sell for too much.

Paul

Master
    That's lovely mate. Keeper for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Where?

I built two last year when parts were available at sensible prices. It would now cost far more than £1500 to build one properly....and that's excluding the labour cost.

Sadly some of the NOS ones have very iffy movements. People have simply stuck in a running 565 or 552 from a scrap watch gold-plated Omega in poor condition. Restoring these movements properly isn`t cheap thesedays, and there's no point paying a strong price for a 'new' watch with a worn out movement. I've heard stories that some of the Watchco ones weren't brilliant; the ones built by STS are a better bet, STS sort the movements properly and don`t skimp on parts.

With Swatch Group stopping supply of Omega parts to wholesalers, the demand for movements will inevitably increase as people strip them for spares. I`ve stopped trying to buy them thesedays because they sell for too much.

Paul
    It's nonsense Paul.

Firstly, Steve's watch is 100% original and to be celebrated.

The Watchco stuff was iffy at best but why would anybody want a parts bid SM?.

Just to clarify the op's watch is a cracker! I also prefer vintage watches to modern so would want the original over a parts watch.

I'm a recent convert to vintages that have been brought back to 'shiny new' condition, but this watch makes me re-think that position. An absolutely lovely watch, enjoy it!

Master
    Just to clarify the op's watch is a cracker! I also prefer vintage watches to modern so would want the original over a parts watch.
    Completely agree re OP's watch. Like you I prefer the vintage original but I would buy a parts bin watch if the price was right, simply to have the right look of the vintage watch. I'm not a serial flipper, well not so far at least. I'd prefer to have the watch to wear occasionally and the look is all important.

I did consider a Watchco version. I also considered building one from parts, or having one built is more accurate. However the prices are too much to me at the moment.

Right now I'm just on the look out to see if a true vintage comes along at the right time at the right price etc. patience is a virtue that I'm learning all about

Congrats nothing like a original nice barn find.

I really like that. The dial has fared remarkably well over the years.

What I will say - and Im exposing my neck a little here - is that, if it were my watch, Id have a little bit of a "sympathetic restoration" done to it - nothing too harsh, just a light refinish, crystal polish - that kind of thing.

I know where youre coming from with the all-original line of thought - but its a "tool watch" from when that term actually meant something - and tools weren't disposable, but actually maintained.

What Im trying to say is that I fully understand that signs of wear and tear are to be expected in a watch that old, but signs of care and maintenance are also desirable attributes when buying a decent bit of kit. Neglect and "patina" are not the same.

Apologies if I rocked the boat here, the OP's watch is an absolute stunner, but as an outsider to Omega I do like the 165.024, but there seems to be this dark underworld of NOS that simply doesn't exist for the likes of Rolex vintage watches and I was trying to establish if these watches are a going concern or if they are something to be given a wide berth. I think I have my answer.

I have always been a Rolex guy, but joining this forum has opened my eyes to the Omega range, I especially like the new Speedmaster Apollo 13 Snoopy, but realise that these are like hens teeth and anyone selling one is looking to fund a fortnight in the Maldives on the profit, the Speedmaster Moon Watch is a good looking watch, but I was taken particularly taken by the 165.024, which does smack of the Rolex Milsub to some degree.

I suppose when the time is right a WTB might be in order.

Master
    A really nicely-aged watch. If it was mine, I would do just as you say and get a movement-only service and see if some degree of water resistance can be obtained. A go on the ultrasonic cleaner will do all that is needed with the case.

The dial is excellent, beautiful!

Can I stick my neck out and ask if it is possible that the hands have been very sympathetically relumed? If not - a truly remarkable state of preservation.

Master
    Great score and looks awesome. I enjoyed the way you went about it and the focus on that particular model. Enjoy.

I'm not usually a big Omega fan but that looks fantastic.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Along with the ploprof , that's my favourite omega.

looks good steve

mike