closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SBDC001 "Sumo"

Seiko SBDC001 "Sumo"

Japanese Domestic Market only watch, in the PROSPEX line.

A great "mid level" Dive watch in the fantastic world of Seiko.
    "Mid level"... I would say, as it sits well below the GS lines and more obviously the mm300.

Image......

Seiko Divers eh ? It's a watch that can't be dressed up or down.!
    It is what it is. The Sumo is a mighty watch in size. A fearsome 45mm, yet strangely disguises its dimensions with clever casework. It still screams DIVER, whatever angle you look at it.

Looks and spec...

Black dial and uni directional 120 click bezel with clean applied dial markers.... Date aperture at 3 o'clock. Rotating divers bezel with oversized lettering.
    Flat Seiko Hardlex crystal.
    Heavily chamfered case.
    Screw down crown at approx 4pm position.
    Open lug holes.
    45mm case 13.5mm height
    200m W/R
    20mm lugs
    Pin and collar 3 link bracelet with signed divers clasp.

Seiko Lumibrite hands and markers on a Flat black dial with White lettering:-

SEIKO

AUTOMATIC
    SCUBA
    200m
    Meets ISO 6425 standards for dive watches

Movement......

SEIKO's premium 6R15
    50 hour power reserve
    23 jewel 21,600 bph

Seiko's answer to the ETA 2824

Reliable, smooth winding, and hacking.

My thoughts on wearing......

The bracelet and clasp on the Sumo are a bit of a gripe for me. Although supremely comfortable, I feel it just doesn't live up to the quality of the case/head.
    Those pins and collar sizing method are again a major headache for me personally.
    The Glass as with most Seiko Divers is Hardlex. I'm not getting into the debate between Hardlex and Sapphire on dive watches, as it's been done to death. I have no honest preference.
    The lume on the hands and dial is brilliant. The weight of the watch is always apparent, but nicely so. The bezel font was the first thing I wanted to change in all honesty, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Packaging......

Cheap. They certainly didn't spend any money on the packaging. Outer white flimsy cardboard and Black inner Prospex box. Standard blue Seiko warranty card and instructions.

Residuals......

It's a Seiko. Don't give it a thought. JDM watches tend to hold quite well though if bought used.

Overall as an everyday watch.......

It's probably too big to wear for a few people. I'm wearing it daily and loving it at mo. Although I did start modding it, into what I thought was a better overall watch.......

First off was that bezel which I really thought cheapened the look of the watch.

So it went from this......

Ordered a thin font bezel from Yobokies.
    Following steps online, there is a couple of small lips on the bezel bottom edge. Got it off, removed the fat font one, pressed it back to the case and fitted the perfect fit thin font version, securing with waterproof Gorilla Glue.

Now to the bracelet. Trying a few at mo, but currently swapped to a solid linked "chisel" bracelet.

Possibly a domed crystal could come, but looking forward to a super engineer bracelet first.

Overall I really like the watch, and believe I've genuinely made it better looking. More subtle "upgrades" than "mods" as you tend to think in the Seiko modding scene.
    Last edited by MuRph77; 2nd November 2015 at 23:38.

Craftsman
    Great post MuRph, if anyone was sat on the fence about buying a Sumo, this would make their mind up.

The only way i think this watch could be improved is 22mm lug width, but that debate has been done to death.

Have just rekindled my Sumo love by putting mine on a Isofrane.

;-)

The chisel bracelet is 22mm. It steps in at the 20mm lugs

Really good review. The bezel change makes a big difference to the way it looks. I've not seen that done before.

Apprentice
    Thanks for a great review

Craftsman
    How is the chisel bracelet compared to the original? More or less comfortable or similar?

It was ok, but lacked the refinement of the Strapcode that followed

Apprentice
    Great review, I agree, I think the watch is cracking value for money. I enjoy a SARG009 myself with the same 6R15 movement.

Love Seiko divers. I've read that the lug to lug of the Sumo is 52mm is this correct? Sadly if true this could be a little on the large side for me. Will have to wait for the (TBC) SRP777. Lovey watch thanks for sharing.

This was a short but excellent review and love the mods to the watch

Journeyman
    Thanks for the review. Been looking at these online recently and did wonder about the quality of the strap

I love this watch , however I feel it has some serious competition now with the new SEIKO srp773 Turtles , especially the blue version , I've had both and the sumo is a notch above the turtle , however they are both within the prospex range and the turtle blue face is a fresh new watch that all SEIKO fanboys will want to get hold of . In my opinion a sumo should be in every SEIKO fanboys collection

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickshangs View Post
    This was a short but excellent review and love the mods to the watch
    agree fully, nice review, looks like a tank of a watch.

Nickshangs - how much can you get me one for?