closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Does Wearing Your Rolex Make You Feel Different About Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    But many hundreds of thousands don't think too deeply about it and are keen to be associated.

In some ways your sentiments reflect the same psychology but in reverse. We're all affected by our brand choices and how they might be perceived by others.

I've just sat through a presentation from Twitter that made a big point about the reach of their 15,000 top 'influencers'. Likewise, you could consider Bond as one of the biggest influencers of all.

Put harshly, the only real conclusion you can draw is that people are sheep, and they want to be seen as something more than they are.

Personally, I don't find anything too disturbing about that: we all only want to get the most out of life.
    I agree but I think people are ultimately influenced by what others think ..so sheep mentality takes over ! A friend of mine recently changed his car he had being talking about getting a Maserati GT , however when it came to the crunch he purchased yet another M3 his reasoning was that the Maserati gave the wrong impression to his clients .. Whereas a good old safe BMW made him look mainstream and conservative ! .
    Sad that Sheep mentality and public perception ended up shaping his choice ! .
    I suspect a lot of this applies to watch purchases too....
    Personally I would not be seen dead in an M3 because of the impression it conveys......

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I must admit to feeling good when I go to my local pub wearing my sub. Women have their jewellery, handbags etc, which they love & enjoy wearing. Us blokes have our watches, which is the only jewellery most of us wear. It's not a show off thing as the majority of people would'nt recognise a Rolex in any case.
    Where do you live? It's probably the only watch brand MOST people know and the majority think that it is probably the best and most expensive watch ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloobird View Post
    Not too far tbh. I see some dickhead got into him for his spelling within about 5 posts though. I'd rather judge the goings on in this thread by what I've seen in this thread though, ta.
    Fair enough. I'd rather judge on the basis of all the evidence. Suggest you look at what he said 1st August at 6.36am. If you have any sympathy left for him after that, we clearly have very different criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Fair enough. I'd rather judge on the basis of all the evidence. Suggest you look at what he said 1st August at 6.36am. If you have any sympathy left for him after that, we clearly have very different criteria.
    He's clearly a most unpleasant character. Racer-X on Watchlords summarised his abusive posts shortly afterwards and commented:

You've been foul and disrespectful here and on TZ while claiming you were the abused party. These are real people you are talking to whom you are asking advice from. Think about that for a second.
    The later responses from the OP were equally appalling, and unrepeatable in a public forum - check out 12:34pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    He's clearly a most unpleasant character. Racer-X on Watchlords summarised his abusive posts shortly afterwards and commented:

The later responses from the OP were equally appalling, and unrepeatable in a public forum - check out 12:34pm.
    Blimey.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    That was exactly my point. I shouldn't have to explain this.

Crikey. The irony couldn't have been very much more clearly signposted. I genuinely wouldn't have anticipated any more than, say, one in a thousand people could have failed to spot it.

But two came along at once...
    OK. I may be thick, but two of us failed to spot your irony, though I hoped you were being. Tricky thing the internet - very easy to lose context.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazio View Post
    Personally I would not be seen dead in an M3 because of the impression it conveys......
    Like wot it says - they don't make the rules - you do! Not quite the same but an a whole other corner of the internet, only idiots buy M4 and only discerning, refined WIS drivers buy the almost identical but four-door M3 or maybe the M235i if they must have two doors.

Last edited by andrew; 29th October 2015 at 14:55. Reason: typo
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Corrected that for you

Master
    I stayed away from Rolex for a while due to the negative stigma so when I finally bought one I didn't have that feeling but was very impressed with the quality an feel of it. I didn't really get that feeling when I next bought an AP either, just a bit of wonderment that I had actually bought one, plus I think the fact that no one really notices helps keep your feet on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    You are quite right: and it actually gets worse after that!! It seems dyslexia is the least of Den's problems as far as forum usage is concerned.

And apologies to Chris for suggesting posting the threads was a bit sad - I see the point now!!
    Last edited by Bloobird; 29th October 2015 at 18:56.

I actually feel myself when I wear a rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloobird View Post
    You are quite right: and it actually gets worse after that!! It seems dyslexia is the least of Den's problems as far as forum usage is concerned.

And apologies to Chris for suggesting posting the threads was a bit sad - I see the point now!!
    No need to mate - I was genuinely shocked when I read it all.

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Corrected that for you
    Hee Hee !,.".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I hope you don't do it in a public place...

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    OK. I may be thick, but two of us failed to spot your irony, though I hoped you were being. Tricky thing the internet - very easy to lose context.
    Very true. I've missed the point of a few posts and got the wrong end of the stick myself plenty of times. No harm no foul.

Supplementary question: Does Wearing Your Rolex Make You Feel Differently About Other People?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazio View Post
    Hee Hee !,.".
    And he went to all that trouble too - must be serious.

;)

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Come to think of it, I do feel different wearing a Rolex. I wonder if some of my less fortunate friends will think I'm a knob.
    Let me put an end to your wondering. They do.

Master
    Well yes left the door open there, and it's a risk I'm willing to take ;-) But I'm only half joking. Most other brands don't do this.

was in goldsmiths last weekend looking at breitling, asked to try a few on, salesman started into his quality watch sales patter, then saw I took off a rolex to try his on and decided to stop speaking, then said ah nice watch. I did feel pretty good for awhile

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Supplementary question: Does Wearing Your Rolex Make You Feel Differently About Other People?
    No, but my Marcello C. does.........................

Oh I do hate that name, and I don't know why

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Come to think of it, I do feel different wearing a Rolex. I wonder if some of my less fortunate friends will think I'm a knob.
    But, the real question is, do your friends think you're a knob with or without wearing a Rolex?

Grand Master
    Well yes left the door open there, and it's a risk I'm willing to take ;-) But I'm only half joking. Most other brands don't do this.
    I also find most friends couldn't care less about watches, and even if they did, wouldn't be that simplistic. Although I understand that some tragics WIS believe that everyone shares their exact obsession - and prejudices - to exactly the same degree, and assume that everyone thinks like they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    was in goldsmiths last weekend looking at breitling, asked to try a few on, salesman started into his quality watch sales patter, then saw I took off a rolex to try his on and decided to stop speaking, then said ah nice watch. I did feel pretty good for awhile
    Ahh, goldsmiths, the birds are pretty in there, pretty stupid.
    Went it once, many years ago, to try a Tag Senna, as I took off my Sub-Date to try it on, she asked "buying a nice watch for the weekends?" I replied "no, just something cheap for work"
    Should have seen her face, childish I know, but made me smile at the time

Master
    But, the real question is, do your friends think you're a knob with or without wearing a Rolex?
    Ha good point, might as well just wear it then!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I also find most friends couldn't care less about watches, and even if they did, wouldn't be that simplistic.
    That's mostly true, but a Jeremy Corbyn leaning friend recently noticed the logo on my Explorer II and visibly recoiled in shock - I might as well have turned up wearing an SS uniform. I've also heard no less than three other friends declare that they don't like Rolex, without having noticed me wearing one - and yes, I'm quite sure about that! They didn't recognise a vintage Rolex, an Oysterquartz, or anything without a cyclops before getting close enough to see the writing, which is one reason I like them. Actually looking at one properly for the first time caused such a re-calibration that one of them now wears a brand new BLNR and their partner is looking for a vintage Datejust!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes, I find it helps to keep the movement wound.

Grand Master
    That's mostly true, but a Jeremy Corbyn leaning friend recently noticed the logo on my Explorer II and visibly recoiled in shock - I might as well have turned up wearing an SS uniform.
    Visibly recoiled in shock? At something you bought with your own money? That he can't tell from the signature of mass genocide? I would be very quickly unfriending him as he sounds like a bit of a c

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've worn one for a long time so it feels normal.
    Not wearing one makes me feel a bit like something's missing.
    I have jewellery that I always wear, and I'd feel the same way if I didn't have that on too.

People form seemingly emotive bonds to the mug that they drink tea out of, it's not such a stretch for people to feel the same about their watch.

Perhaps Rolex need to release a "world's best Dad" model, so that non-WIS can understand the attraction?!! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    Where do you live? It's probably the only watch brand MOST people know and the majority think that it is probably the best and most expensive watch ever!
    Hit the nail on the head. Rolex is the public face of expensive watches - everyone knows about Rolex! The subconscious, or perhaps not so subconscious desire to feel good about oneself by every so slightly flaunting the nice thing you have is perhaps at the core as to why some feel different when wearing a Rolex to say, an Omega?

I own a motley selection of vintage and modern Rolex, Tudor, Omega, Seiko, and from my birthday 3 days ago, now a PRS-39. I knew nothing whatsoever about Time Factors until introduced a few days ago by my family, who are clearly a lot more discerning than me! I love all of the different watches I have had over the years, but Rolex does attract attention unlike most others. I don't think personally that there is any shame in this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Yes, I find it helps to keep the movement wound.
    Haha

The thing about friends, unless you just throw that word around indiscriminately, is that they tend to be people who have known you intimately, and for some time.

So really, none of mine can be in any doubt at this point that I am an absolute arse.

Still, I don't think it would do anything to improve matters if I started wearing a Rolex now.

The thing about friends, unless you just throw that word around indiscriminately, is that they tend to be people who have known you intimately, and for some time.

So really, none of mine can be in any doubt at this point that I am an absolute arse.

Still, I don't think it would do anything to improve matters if I started wearing a Rolex now.
    My two oldest and best friends absolutely rip the sh*t out of me when I wear my rolex - I thoroughly enjoy the banter.

Unhappy

A friend of mine went to a long speech about how he hates the image Rolex portrays, would never buy one. They're technologically no superior to any cheaper watch and it purely just marketing and only philistines fall for it, who have no idea about watches- he's buying a black bay Tudor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    My two oldest and best friends absolutely rip the sh*t out of me when I wear my rolex - I thoroughly enjoy the banter.
    Agree with this. Trying the BNLR today so will put this to the test!

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    A friend of mine went to a long speech about how he hates the image Rolex portrays, would never buy one. They're technologically no superior to any cheaper watch and it purely just marketing and only philistines fall for it, who have no idea about watches- he's buying a black bay Tudor.
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

As is typical in these cases, the median time span before he gets the Rolex that he really wanted in the first place will be about two years. Please let us know when he drops the façade! :)

Banned
    you lot just get older and sadder with very post you make, iv been chuckling to myself for days over this witch hunt.

im a crim because iv have a box that gives me free sky, your searching xbox forums years old to try and discover what sort of person i am, do me a favor
    its your wife's if most of you still have them i feel sorry for, well iv done what i needed to do you wont be hearing from me again watchtalk

if youv gone that much out you way to find one or two posts when iv been a bit over the top out of 1000's iv left then you really don't wont me in watchtalk

If that's what you think of this community why don't you just F..... leave like you've been saying you will since July
    Quote Originally Posted by dirboxden View Post
    your right i did say i was leaving, i really dont know how this got so out of control,
    i think its time for me to go,

Banned
    the big-man is back, wounder how long it would take 10ton rob to come out, or maybe you already have maybe that's why your the way you are

Banned
    If that's what you think of this community why don't you just F..... leave like you've been saying you will since July
    no that's what you and a few others have gone out your way to make the community think about me

no that's what you and a few others have gone out your way to make the community think about me
    Believe me there was no conspiracy to make anyone think in any particular way. Most think what they think of you because of your comments, personal attacks and general crappy behaviour.
    You really have no one to blame, as you have done this to yourself.

Actually, just reading your posts on this forum and others lets anyone and everyone see who you really are.

the big-man is back, wounder how long it would take 10ton rob to come out, or maybe you already have maybe that's why your the way you are
    And what would be wrong about being an overweight gay?
    I guess we can add homophobia to your list of 'attributes' then

Banned
    Believe me there was no conspiracy to make anyone think in any particular way. Most think what they think of you because of your comments, personal attacks and general crappy behaviour.
    You really have no one to blame, as you have done this to yourself.

you keep telling yourself that mate you mite just start believe it,
    the personal attacks only came after being abused, no one just starts attacking someone for nothing, crappy behavior on one or two threads where iv been attacked for the state of my posting

when attacked for no reason my back goes up the same as anyone's does dont try and make out im something im not,

Banned
    And what would be wrong about being an overweight gay?
    I guess we can add homophobia to your list of 'attributes' then
    just because you take something from a comment that's not there, dont start calling people homophobic
    i have no problem with gay people in the slightest, well i dont really wont to see two men kissing but it means nothing to rob

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Actually, just reading your posts on this forum and others lets anyone and everyone see who you really are.
    bandwagon

Blog Entries
    just because you take something from a comment that's not there, dont start calling people homophobic
    i have no problem with gay people in the slightest, well i dont really wont to see two men kissing but it means nothing to rob
    Jesus wept.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Jesus wept.
    so a fairy tail would have you believe, everything is beginning to fall into place now

you keep telling yourself that mate you mite just start believe it,
    the personal attacks only came after being abused, no one just starts attacking someone for nothing, crappy behavior on one or two threads where iv been attacked for the state of my posting

when attacked for no reason my back goes up the same as anyone's does dont try and make out im something im not,
    I don't need to tell myself a single thing pally.
    It's all there for the reading, in this thread alone, nevermind others where you have spat bile.
    And I certainly do not need to try and make out anything regarding your manner towards other members, that again is plain for anyone to read