closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Wearing Your Rolex Make You Feel Different About Yourself

Does my ego feel polished by wearing a watch?? No.

^^^
    This
    The need for material things to make one feel good or happy is a sad existence, although not a surprising one in this consumerist society.

^^^

The problem with these topics is the moral "highlanders" who only deal in hypocritical absolutes - women are more honest about how their "expensive" jewellery makes them feel...

I shall give my watch an extra polish and take some air amongst the plebs and enjoy every minute...
    Last edited by 2kilo; 27th October 2015 at 12:48.

^^^
    What's morals got to do with it?
    Nothing wrong with liking nice things, for their attributes (long lasting, better quality, better fit etc.) but having nice things to make yourself feel better?
    A bit like trying to buy happiness, or thinking wearing a trinket makes you better than someone else

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    ^^^
    Nothing wrong with liking nice things, for their attributes (long lasting, better quality, better fit etc.) but having nice things to make yourself feel better?
    A bit like trying to buy happiness, or thinking wearing a trinket makes you better than someone else
    I'm working on the assumption he isn't sad right up until HE PUTS ON HIS ROLEX and then everything is right with the world.

Just that it feels good to have something nice.

I don't see it as anything like your comparisons whatsoever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2kilo View Post
    The problem with these topics is the moral "highlanders" who only deal in hypocritical absolutes
    Damn right. You'll often find them, on an 'are you influenced by marketing' thread as well.

I bought a Rolex Submariner after saving for around 2 years. I wore it a for a (short) while, and just didn't "get" it. I'm not sure why, and I know it makes me a filthy casual in the land of WIS. I appreciate the history, heritage, and the fact that many others are Rolex lovers. I just didn't like it, and figured I'd only be pretending just because of those five letters on the dial. So off it went and I don't miss it at all. Odd.

Edit, I should point out I have a Seamster 300 Master coaxial incoming, which gave me all the right tingles in my tingly bits.

^^^
    silly comment - somehow I seem to have bought a lot of happiness [homes, cars, watches, health care, schools, etc]...
    And no my life does not revolve around these items either...
    Last edited by 2kilo; 27th October 2015 at 13:06.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Odd.
    Not really.

What's odd is perhaps that you bought it in the first place though!

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Not really.

What's odd is perhaps that you bought it in the first place though!

You sound like my wife. :p
    But yeah, I think I enjoyed the chase more than the result. Ah well, lesson learnt.

Banned
    ^^^
    This
    The need for material things to make one feel good or happy is a sad existence, although not a surprising one in this consumerist society.
    i never once said i bought things to make myself feel good, im just a happy guy full stop
    what i said is...i feel good when i wear it there's a big difference i think

Quote Originally Posted by dirboxden View Post
    i never once said i bought things to make myself feel good, im just a happy guy full stop
    Except you did
    thats the point of buying a relox ( the feel good factor once its on )

Grand Master
    I bought a Rolex Submariner after saving for around 2 years. I wore it a for a (short) while, and just didn't "get" it. I'm not sure why, and I know it makes me a filthy casual in the land of WIS. I appreciate the history, heritage, and the fact that many others are Rolex lovers. I just didn't like it, and figured I'd only be pretending just because of those five letters on the dial. So off it went and I don't miss it at all. Odd.
    That you thought it was "odd" probably explains why you bought it in the first place! (being serious)

I felt the same after skipping my may through WIS Levels 2 and 3. I went to look at a few "forum darlings", and was so off-beam with the accepted doctrine that I didn't even buy them.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I went to look at a few "forum darlings", and was so off-beam with the accepted doctrine that I didn't even buy them.
    That's what happened with me and Tudor; don't think I have ever been influenced by hype before (marketing/BS/advertising, sure) but I had to try a Black Bay and Pelagos.

Neither stayed more than a week!

- - - Updated - - -

I think I enjoyed the chase more than the result.
    Probably nail hit on head there. And we have all done that.

Banned

Except you did

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how do get i bought it because im sad just to try and make me feel a better person
    me saying 'thats the point of buying a relox ( the feel good factor once its on )' its a feel good factor once its on, is just that feels good once its on
    it was not bought just so i could think i was better then i am

rob as your mrs being giving you a hard time this morning or something because your on it a little bit,
    i think you need a new watch maybe perk you up a bit you miserable git

It's human nature not to recognise how porous our personality's boundaries are. I was truly dismayed when I realised to what degree I was controlled by a sunny day or by an empty tum. Wearing a watch I like makes me happy, and if it's a watch I feel truly at one with (for whichever of the very many reasons possible) then I'm even happier. I'm ok with the implications this has for my soul's supposed independence ;)

Except you did

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how do get i bought it because im sad just to try and make me feel a better person
    me saying 'thats the point of buying a relox ( the feel good factor once its on )' its a feel good factor once its on, is just that feels good once its on

rob as your mrs being giving you a hard time this morning or something because your on it a little bit,
    I don't need a new watch as material things aren't the route to happiness. If you really want to cheer me up, then sort out your typing skills

It's an odd one this; watched Skyfall on DVD last Christmas, within 48hrs there was a 42mm PO on my wrist. Within a week of that I sold it as the tie-up made me cringe!

But many hundreds of thousands don't think too deeply about it and are keen to be associated.

In some ways your sentiments reflect the same psychology but in reverse. We're all affected by our brand choices and how they might be perceived by others.

I've just sat through a presentation from Twitter that made a big point about the reach of their 15,000 top 'influencers'. Likewise, you could consider Bond as one of the biggest influencers of all.

Put harshly, the only real conclusion you can draw is that people are sheep, and they want to be seen as something more than they are.

Personally, I don't find anything too disturbing about that: we all only want to get the most out of life.

Banned
    I don't need a new watch as material things aren't the route to happiness. If you really want to cheer me up, then sort out your typing skills
    hahahaha you know your done when thats the last resort, i think you need go away have a cup of tea and a few biscuits or something for a hour and then come back,
    when your not acting so much of a plank because its getting that why now

Blog Entries

Except you did

I don't care about your typing skills, but please please please stop the Relox thing, it's driving me mad

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I don't care about your typing skills, but please please please stop the Relox thing, it's driving me mad

Daddel.

to be fair mate it was only a typo hes used the same line twice...lol making me look more stupid then i am

Grand Master
    That's what happened with me and Tudor; don't think I have ever been influenced by hype before (marketing/BS/advertising, sure) but I had to try a Black Bay and Pelagos.
    I've been surprised by the success of this. Tudor legged it from the UK market in 2007 and from the US even earlier than that, such was the lack of interest. I really thought that refined discerning wisses would be lining up to empty their clips into the re-launch for all the same reasons that Tudor exited two big Anglo-Saxon markets to begin with. But the hype really has worked.

It also helps that watch prices doubled in the interim, which means a Tudor is now cheaper than a Breitling Colt and not much more than a standard Aquaracer. So intrinsically, given the quality of the build, it's no worse value than anything else on the market. But still...

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

Daddel.
    :-)

to be fair mate it was only a typo hes used the same line twice...lol making me look more stupid then i am
    Is that possible?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Is that possible?
    look out another hero on the loose, what is it with some one you

I didn't use the same line twice, my post was
    Except you did
    Your reply was this

Except you did

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Is that possible?
    look out another hero on the loose, what is it with some one you
    Yes, yes it is

Banned
    Yes, yes it is
    i thought once you went away and hand a cup of tea and a biscuit you would come back all nice and leave me and im grammar alone.
    but looks like im going to have to take my coat off and put on one of my rolexs to make me feel 10ton and come out fighting...lol

i thought once you went away and hand a cup of tea and a biscuit you would come back all nice and leave me and im grammar alone.
    but looks like im going to have to take my coat off and put on one of my rolexs to make me feel 10ton and come out fighting...lol
    Please don't. Anyway, I thought they made you walk taller not look fatter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Please don't. Anyway, I thought they made you walk taller not look fatter.
    yeah i like it, ill give you that one

Ok fair's fair, I'll leave you and your grammar alone, as you have.

Banned
    Ok fair's fair, I'll leave you and your grammar alone, as you have.
    look its obvious i have have a slight problem so cards on the table im dyslexic, 38 years old and still the art off getting from my head to my hands alludes me,
    sometimes i use the right word but but wrong spelling maybe the grammar is a bit off putting but i wont let it or the sly comments get the better of me because im wearing a rolex

look its obvious i have have a slight problem so cards on the table im dyslexic, 38 years old and still the art off getting from my head to my hands alludes me,
    sometimes i use the right word but but wrong spelling maybe the grammar is a bit off putting but i wont let it or the sly comments get the better of me because im wearing a rolex

Fair enough, and it must be a difficult problem to cope with. But by adopting the attitude that it's everybody else's problem and they should deal with it, you don't do yourself any favours, and leave yourself wide open to criticism.

Do you have Microsoft Word or any similar narrative writing program that would allow you to type out your responses and use the spell checker, which will usually highlight any grammatical errors as well as spelling mistakes. Once happy, you can then just cut and paste into here and hopefully aviod any unwanted criticism.

Only trying to help ......

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Well I guess that really depends on how big or little you really are.........?
    I think it's not about how physically big or little you are but how you view yourself from an esteem viewpoint. Maybe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Fair enough, and it must be a difficult problem to cope with. But by adopting the attitude that it's everybody else's problem and they should deal with it, you don't do yourself any favours, and leave yourself wide open to criticism.
    iv had to deal with it since i was that kid at school everyone called dyslexic den, please dont think im taking the attitude that its everybody problem i try my best im embarrassed by it,
    this is a forum full of very intelligent people and i know what people are thinking when they read my posts so i do try and when people start making sly comments and digs its embarrassing and some time do get a little defensive,
    so i apologies if iv been a bit defensive on occasions, i hate it because i can do so much i just struggle to write it down,

iv had to deal with it since i was that kid at school everyone called dyslexic den, please dont think im taking the attitude that its everybody problem i try my best im embarrassed by it,
    this is a forum full of very intelligent people and i know what people are thinking when they read my posts so i do try and when people start making sly comments and digs its embarrassing and some time do get a little defensive,
    so i apologies if iv been a bit defensive on occasions, i hate it because i can do so much i just struggle to write it down,
    I can imagine that in a world governed by computers, which require some literacy skills to operate, that it must be incredibly frustrating, and you have my sympathy.

The advice above to construct your posts in something like Microsoft Word, which will highlight spelling mistakes as well as grammatical errors, so that you can correct them and then copy and post into a thread response, would certainly help.

All the best

Ian

Roll up! Roll up! Torches and pitchforks for sale! Discounts available upon presentation of Grammar Police ID...

Blog Entries
    Back on topic: I find all watches are kinda special, not just Rolex, at least for me and my little collection. I try and get watches that are different and complementary with different functions and looks. So no, nothing special about Rolex for me.

Martyn

Craftsman
    I feel better wearing my G Shock compared to my Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Roll up! Roll up! Torches and pitchforks for sale! Discounts available upon presentation of Grammar Police ID...
    More size Police and thickness Police on the site than any other kind of Police.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    More size Police and thickness Police on the site than any other kind of Police.
    That particular organisation seems to have been in civil war for some time - with both sides equally obsessed...

..wonder why this is? I just like any watch that actually fits the wearers wrist...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    hi Dir, why don't you use voice to text software, my brother in law is severely dyslexic and he swears by it, it just saves him from looking stupid when in fact he is a very intelligent man, like yourself.

sadly in the absence of physical presence, we can only decide these things in what we say in text, which is of course unfair in real life.

on a side note, was that the username you intended? if not due to the dyslexia, the forum owner would be able to change it for you.

A forum where I'm a regular the guy with the highest post count (about 12,000 iirc) has dyslexia, and it has never been a problem. I suppose there were a couple of people who were a bit slower than the rest of catch onto his style, but we were and gentle with them

this is a forum full of very intelligent people
    No it isn't. With a few notable exceptions, this forum is populated by educationally subnormal knuckle-dragging cavemen. With nice watches.

Don't let it bother you. The bottom line is your posts are perfectly intelligible. The style might grate on some, but that IS their problem, not yours.

On another note, this entire thread made me cringe.

Re
    No it isn't. With a few notable exceptions, this forum is populated by educationally subnormal knuckle-dragging cavemen. With nice watches.

Don't make unfair assumptions based on your estimation of yourself😄
    By the way, haven't seem much of your watches. So, don't know if they are nice or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    That particular organisation seems to have been in civil war for some time - with both sides equally obsessed...

..wonder why this is? I just like any watch that actually fits the wearers wrist...
    😄😄, good response!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Re

Don't make unfair assumptions based on your estimation of yourself
    By the way, haven't seem much of your watches. So, don't know if they are nice or not.
    I've posted plenty of pictures of my watches over the years mate. Don't think I own a watch I haven't posted a picture of. Except the Seiko I bought a couple of months ago.

I only own a few, and theyre all cheap and cheerful, wouldn't be of much interest to most people here. There's not likely to be many interesting "incoming" threads on the horizon. I don't own a digital camera. And I wear the same watch every day for months at a time, so unless people are really into frequent blurry cameraphone shots of the same cheap watch over and over again...

If you want to know what I own, go back through my post history. Check the thread I made where I discuss the relative timekeeping of my Sinn 556I, my Hamilton Field Khaki, and Glycine Combat Sub, complete with results I shared with the forum from the tests I ran on the timegrapher I bought on eBay. Other than that I'm afraid it's just a quartz Seiko chronograph which I talked about in the most recent thread I started, a vintage Russian thingamyjig I made a thread about back when I first joined, and which a contact I made on the forum kindly worked on for me. Oh, and a Seiko monster I bought on here, and haven't got around to selling yet. Of course I've bought and sold plenty through here, always with top feedback both ways, but all gone now.

I promise though, the minute I come into some money, I'll go out and buy a Rolex and a digital camera, and post an incoming thread, and spam the Friday thread with it.
    Last edited by seikokiller; 27th October 2015 at 23:36.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    As I slide on that Sea Dweller bracelet, caressing its 904L steel, feeling its brushed curves, I begin the anticipation. What will today hold ? Which famous person will have the pleasure to meet me ? How can today possibly beat yesterday's achievements ? Can I, once again, justify sporting the Triplock crown ? My reverie snaps back to the present. I instinctively feel for that special area. I twist. I pull. I avoid writhing - my touch is practiced. Exquisite. Never clumsy. I gaze at those Mercedes hands. Aloof, they stare back at my Honda face. I turn, turn, and keep turning. Building a tension, ever tighter. Turning, twisting. Feeling that shy resistance but pushing through, onwards, firmly, surely, more and more until ... ooh, and we're there. Together. One final, gentle turn as I push it in. Sub mission accomplished.
    That last time I read something as lewd as this, the author had been vigorously shuffling his hand-cranker whilst contemplating the simple pleasures of the day. Or something along those lines. There might have been a Nespresso machine involved?

Grand Master
    +1..........I'm far too polite to point out his lack of typing skills/literacy/both but there's clearly a lot of room for improvement. If he can't be bothered to check what he's written why should anyone be bothered to take it seriously?

The OP seems to be contradicting himself on this thread, arguing for the sake of arguing.

Paul

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1..........I'm far too polite to point out his lack of typing skills/literacy/both but there's clearly a lot of room for improvement. If he can't be bothered to check what he's written why should anyone be bothered to take it seriously?

The OP seems to be contradicting himself on this thread, arguing for the sake of arguing.

Paul
    your an idiot do you know that, i bet all your mates take you for a right mug, well let me tell you something, i mite not have all the skills in the right places at times,
    maybe i could try a bit harder with the posts i leave but at least im not a miserable must think im a bit special prat,
    i would never say the things to someone who struggles some of things that have been said to me. because im decent person who thinks of others, not just some weirdo who feels good about himself belittling other people.
    does it really matter if i miss a full stop here or spell a word wrong there, whats the problem seriously, iv explained the reasons for it iv iv made a few apologies to people for getting defensive at times,
    but thats not enough for you is it. no you wont be happy till youv made me look as stupid as you passably can,

does it really matter that much that i have to be ridicule and made to feel like a kid over it, come on get a grip, im not a bad or looking for a argument type of guy
    im just a normal guy with a family who has some slight hardships and lets be fair here, its not that bad its not like you cant read it or anything
    Last edited by dirboxden; 28th October 2015 at 06:40.