closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Wearing Your Rolex Make You Feel Different About Yourself

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Rush drummer Neil Peart wrote this about his material possessions, years ago:

"As a general thing, I try to avoid talking about the material things I have been fortunate enough to acquire, not wanting to seem to brag - and definitely not wanting to arouse in others the evil worm of envy. One psychologist theorized that the possession of material things was a prop to make you feel good about yourself—but I thought that theory went two words too far. For me, owning a fine car, a fine watch, or a fine set of drums just makes me feel good, period".
    I thought he was going to say something really interesting there.....but then he didn't....

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Aaahhhh, a bit like getting excited about a cheap(ish) new retro Seiko model then?

Daddel.
    Lol,was bracing myself for this.
    There is a difference but is kind of subtle.Dont expect you to be able to appreciate it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    There is a difference but is kind of subtle.Dont expect you to be able to appreciate it.
    Do you girls feel better about yourselves when wielding Prada handbags?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Oh?

Subtle it is eh?

And why wouldn't I be able to appreciate it?

Keep wriggling :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Do you girls feel better about yourselves when wielding Prada handbags?
    He would probably use the Prada bag, I in fact would use my George of Asda leather look bag

Daddel.

Of course it's nice to be able to wear a nice (expensive) watch, but I really enjoy wearing some of my cheapest watches too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

My experience has been the opposite of most. I inherited a Rolex in A1 condition with all the gubbins, but I found out what it's worth and what a replacement bracelet would cost (when I scratched it just washing up), and now I'm really loathe to wear it... plus it's not actually that legible. I can't help a creeping feeling of being conned, when the thing is just a steel watch. I'm supposed to be in awe of it, it's a Rolex... but the cost of bits, the cost of servicing, for a thing I don't need- it's not for me, and actually makes me question the whole reason I wear a watch. My wife gave me a PRS-22 when we married, and that does do it for me. But again, I don't need it. Neither 'emotional responses' are proportional to value, but it does make me wonder whether I should sell the Rolex. It doesn't do anything for me, and in all likelihood I shall rarely wear it. I think the Rolex, for me, takes the value/worth equation to a place I don't want to be. I don't fall for hype, and to have it sitting in a drawer, when it's worth so much money, is silly. This isn't a closet sales post, by the way- before I'm accused of that.
    Wearing neither watch changes the way I perceive myself, however; it's more of a like/dislike thing but not really liking the Rolex (or in fact any, enough to buy one) at the same time as knowing its monetary value sat there doing nothing reinforces the antipathy. I suppose you could say that even owning one reinforces my feelings about myself, but I suspect not in the way that the OP expected.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    My experience has been the opposite of most. I inherited a Rolex in A1 condition with all the gubbins, but I found out what it's worth and what a replacement bracelet would cost (when I scratched it just washing up), and now I'm really loathe to wear it... plus it's not actually that legible. I can't help a creeping feeling of being conned, when the thing is just a steel watch. I'm supposed to be in awe of it, it's a Rolex... but the cost of bits, the cost of servicing, for a thing I don't need- it's not for me, and actually makes me question the whole reason I wear a watch. My wife gave me a PRS-22 when we married, and that does do it for me. But again, I don't need it. Neither 'emotional responses' are proportional to value, but it does make me wonder whether I should sell the Rolex. It doesn't do anything for me, and in all likelihood I shall rarely wear it. I think the Rolex, for me, takes the value/worth equation to a place I don't want to be. I don't fall for hype, and to have it sitting in a drawer, when it's worth so much money, is silly. This isn't a closet sales post, by the way- before I'm accused of that.
    Wearing neither watch changes the way I perceive myself, however; it's more of a like/dislike thing but not really liking the Rolex (or in fact any, enough to buy one) at the same time as knowing its monetary value sat there doing nothing reinforces the antipathy. I suppose you could say that even owning one reinforces my feelings about myself, but I suspect not in the way that the OP expected.
    I'm getting buyers remorse just reading this post.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Of course it's nice to be able to wear a nice (expensive) watch, but I really enjoy wearing some of my cheapest watches too.
    Says it all, on a cruise once this fella admired my Dreadnought PRS 2 (when I owned one) at the pool he said its so nice seeing a different watch other than another Rolex I was chuffed. I love wearing different watches, I sold my 2254 after sitting in a restaurant with a guy wearing one on the next table. The next week a chap sat next to me on a train and said snap and stuck his 2254 under my nose.
    Demand the right to be unique...thats why Eddies watches are so much fun!

The Rolex is the only watch I have that makes me think that way. I have a few watches including a 2254.50 but I just don't ever think of selling them in the same way... maybe it's because it was inherited.

If anything you buy makes you feel good then it is not money wasted provided you can afford it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Brave thread, as on here, well... You read some of the comments!

Substitute the name 'Rolex' for 'nice watch' and I'm very much onboard. No matter what's going on or how tired I am, no matter how scruffy or cheap my clothes are looking down at my wrist will make me smile.

It's not about anyone else as a) my watches aren't distinctive and b) nobody cares anyway.

Re: In fact would use my George of Asda leather look bag

Original or reissue?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Well done, you effectively 'grew up’ to a point where rationale overtook prejudice: some people go through their entire lives without doing so.

R
    I think that's true to an extent. But I'll be brutally candid. After the events of the last five years (the economic meltdown, losing my job and being forced to switch careers in my 50s), I look at the Rolex and the fact of having managed to retire my mortgage as tangible evidence that I can still achieve goals regardless of what comes at me from forces beyond my control. The $4000 Rolex does this for me in a way that ten $400 watches wouldn't. I know the math is the same, but the satisfaction is much greater. Don't ask me to make sense of that, because I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    I think that's true to an extent. But I'll be brutally candid. After the events of the last five years (the economic meltdown, losing my job and being forced to switch careers in my 50s), I look at the Rolex and the fact of having managed to retire my mortgage as tangible evidence that I can still achieve goals regardless of what comes at me from forces beyond my control. The $4000 Rolex does this for me in a way that ten $400 watches wouldn't. I know the math is the same, but the satisfaction is much greater. Don't ask me to make sense of that, because I can't.
    Well it makes sense to me too.

For the purchase of my first Rolex I had set myself a personal goal in my career. Before I actually achieved that goal I found myself having sufficient spare money to be able to buy it anyway. But it wasn’t about the money and so I waited until I did achieve the goal. When I eventually did - and despite a price hike in the interim - the pleasure of hitting my goal made the ‘reward’ all the more enjoyable and the watch became a constant reminder of what I’d done to get it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

No, wearing a rolex does not make me feel different about myself.

I do, however, get a lot of pleasure from owning, wearing and using stuff I really admire and have lusted after.
    Gray

Any watch can give you pleasure, but 'make you feel different about yourself'? Can any possession make you feel different about yourself?

I feel 'good' (And I guess that's the feeling the OP is thinking of) about myself when I give blood or give up my seat for a less able person on the train - I feel I've done something selfless (small, admittedly, and I do quite enjoy the free biscuits!), but I can't imagine looking at a watch/car/TV/house and thinking that makes me any different...

It's just a case of how much money you've spent on something. If we're talking Ł1.2m supercars or Ł12m houses, then maybe having one does say 'something' about you, but a Ł5 grand watch simply says you chose to spend Ł5 grand on a watch rather than a holiday or a different car or paying off some of the mortgage.

M

Doesn't make me feel different about myself at all, other than sometimes questioning my sanity when I tot up how much I have spent on watches.

It's a very nice and very expensive watch, but still just a watch, and in financial and horological terms a mid-tier watch at that (although the top of my budget).

If anything wearing it makes me a bit more cautious and a bit more aware of my surroundings, both to avoid damaging an expensive watch, and to avoid attracting unwanted attention.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Any watch can give you pleasure, but 'make you feel different about yourself'? Can any possession make you feel different about yourself?

I feel 'good' (And I guess that's the feeling the OP is thinking of) about myself when I give blood or give up my seat for a less able person on the train - I feel I've done something selfless (small, admittedly, and I do quite enjoy the free biscuits!), but I can't imagine looking at a watch/car/TV/house and thinking that makes me any different...

It's just a case of how much money you've spent on something. If we're talking Ł1.2m supercars or Ł12m houses, then maybe having one does say 'something' about you, but a Ł5 grand watch simply says you chose to spend Ł5 grand on a watch rather than a holiday or a different car or paying off some of the mortgage.

M
    maybe when i started the thread i should have chosen my words better, it does not make me feel like a different person as such i just get a buz from it,
    and like i said its not a tiring to be flash thing because mine are all old 70's rolexs and i dont flash them around, i just get a buzz from wearing it and maybe i do walk a bit taller
    but i think its more that there 40 odd years old each im oonly 38 and there still a masterpiece in eyes,
    to some of you with you subs and so on wouldnt look twice at my rolex's but there mine and they give me a buzz when i wear them
    does that make anymore sense or do you still think im a weirdo

Quote Originally Posted by dirboxden View Post
    This mite seem a bit unusual but when ever i put on one of my rolex's and go out im seem to feel different, maybe its the fact that im not a wealthy man and when i wear one of them i feel different about myself.
    its hard to explain its not a 'look at me with my rolex' thing, as i dont tend to start flashing them about and only and mention it if someone asks. so its not vanity, like i said its hard to explain.

does anyone else get the same sort of feeling when they slip a rolex over there wrist or is it just little-man syndrome which only i suffer with maybe, im still debating with myself
    i think its just the feeling of putting on a watch of that quality and feeling good about it and yourself, i mean i sure thats the point of buying a relox ( the feel good factor once its on )
    No

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    No
    they made a song about you mate, its goes......i need a hero...... boom boom

Quote Originally Posted by dirboxden View Post
    maybe when i started the thread i should have chosen my words better, it does not make me feel like a different person as such i just get a buz from it,
    and like i said its not a tiring to be flash thing because mine are all old 70's rolexs and i dont flash them around, i just get a buzz from wearing it and maybe i do walk a bit taller
    but i think its more that there 40 odd years old each im oonly 38 and there still a masterpiece in eyes,
    to some of you with you subs and so on wouldnt look twice at my rolex's but there mine and they give me a buzz when i wear them
    does that make anymore sense or do you still think im a weirdo
    Well THAT makes a lot more sense to me

I suspect everyone here gets a buzz from most of their watches and sell the ones they don't on SC

M.

Master
    Used to have a Speedmaster Pro - sadly (and stupidly) sold it to pay a bill, and it was by miles my most expensive watch (though appreciate it's like a novelty toy from a christmas cracker compared to the value of some stuff on here) - but absolutely whenever I wore it, I loved it. Made you immediately feel better.. I can't put a finger on it. Would always make me feel great inside to be out for a meal or whatever and to glance down and see it on the wrist as I'd wanted one FOREVER. That feeling didn't change for the 18 months or so I owned it.

Since selling the Speedmaster the watch interest has fizzled out somewhat. Must get another one some day.

Craftsman
    I read the OP and thought "what a strange question" but as I have read through the thread, it kind of makes sense to me now. However to try to answer the quesiton -

For me, owning nice things is a choice I make that suits me at the time, end of really. I certainly don't feel "better" for owning these nice things, but I certainly get pleasure and, I admit to some extent a sense of achivement (mainly from being able to afford them) due mostly I would say, because of my relatively humble background. Boy done good syndrome.

So I get a lift from wearing my Rolex? No. But do I get a boost from driving my Porsche?........ hell yes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Substitute the name 'Rolex' for 'nice watch' and I'm very much onboard.
    Agreed. Nice things just make me feel good. I find that I am different from most of the people I work with in the sense that I like to have and use nice things. Nice writing instruments for example. Life is short, and why would you deprive yourself of the pleasure of writing with a nice gold pen or wearing an aesthetically pleasing watch? It is not about impressing other people. It is about the quality of your own life.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Agreed. Nice things just make me feel good. I find that I am different from most of the people I work with in the sense that I like to have and use nice things. Nice writing instruments for example. Life is short, and why would you deprive yourself of the pleasure of writing with a nice gold pen or wearing an aesthetically pleasing watch? It is not about impressing other people. It is about the quality of your own life.
    Yep, that's what I meant/should have said

Substitute the name 'Rolex' for 'nice watch' and I'm very much onboard. No matter what's going on or how tired I am, no matter how scruffy or cheap my clothes are looking down at my wrist will make me smile.
    I agree with this. Though if anybody does take an interest in my watch, or makes a positive comment about it, well - Id be lying if I said I wouldn't get pleasure from that.

If I had a Rolex that reminded me of a memorable occasion then perhaps it would provoke a feeling, but it would not be because of the value or quality of the timepiece. I associate some watches with particular events or people, so when I wear them they can bring back a memory that engenders an emotion. There is my grandfather's Cyma Navystar that I inherited, the first 'expensive' watch that I bought to celebrate clearing the mortgage, a watch that always reminds me of a dear friend who has passed away, a Tissot purchased in Geneva where both children were born, and so on.

Grand Master
    I don't feel any different regardless of what watch I put on,but some watches have you think about what watch it might be.

For eg the original Dreadnought has me thinking only another 199 people wear one of them and that's a nice feeling.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post

For eg the original Dreadnought has me thinking only another 199 people wear one of them and that's a nice feeling.
    now that i can understand, knowing there are only 200 ever been made and you have one would give you a good feeling
    yes i mite have to give it a try and see how it feels, i dont think iv ever owed anything with that kind of limited issue, well apart from the kids and will happily sell them to the lowest bidder

Another good comment. Or one I can identify with.

I freely admit that I have a materialistic side, and that being able to have afforded a few nice watches is something Im proud of - they remind me of occasions and achievements.

Its pretty much proven that branding has an effect on people, so it always makes me smile when a guy with a rolex on his wrist claims it makes no impact on the way he feels - especially if that person is a member...of a WATCH FORUM... and, in many cases, rises consistently to any bait cast that in any way is perceived to attack the brand they've bought into - despite vain claims to the contrary!

People buy and own 'nice things' for the feel good factor - so yes, it does feel good, if it didn't then why wear it?.

For me, actually buying my first Rolex meant a lot and that milestone has a lot of nostalgia for me. I bought it after a job promotion that pretty much coincided with the birth of my lad.

I have had lots of watches over the years but as I was rolling up to 40, had a few bob squared away I was able to treat myself, with some small personal sacrifices, to a Rolex. Nothing mental, no precious metals, no diamonds just an SS sports model that probably gets worn 4 months of each year (it rotates with some preference amongst a gang of about 12).

I dont think, in my case, it has anything to do with the Rolex brand, I am sure if a JLC/IWC/Omega/Zenith/Patek/etc. was my first decent watch that the purchase of that timepiece would also hold that same nostalgia.

I do 'get a small lift' when I wear it, but purchasing it and that build up, a few years ago was a much bigger deal.

These days I seem to have more 'interest' in cheap watches that I can mess about with. Still not rich enough to play with the guts of a Rolex.
    Last edited by TimeThoughts; 26th October 2015 at 21:40.

Also... Rolexforums is full of this stuff. Pretty much why I dont go there anymore.

Coupled to that bloody scammer that was on here a few weeks back when I changed my Rolexforums password and cant remember it now !!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Well they wouldn't recognise one from more than 5 foot away, but may have a guess (thinking, real, fake or not bothered) if sat at the same table.
    Well I think it depends on the Rolex .. a classic Sub would probably be recognised as a Rolex by more than 50% of the general populace, but a Milgauss say, or an Air King? Possibly not, given that a lot of other brands have a similar look (whether they copped it from Rolex or not).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    People buy and own 'nice things' for the feel good factor - so yes, it does feel good, if it didn't then why wear it?.
    Yes agreed, but - do they feel good "about themselves"; in other words do they see themselves in a different light with a Rolex on? For some it's yes, for others, even if they enjoy wearing it, no.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    It's true most people are not remotely interested in quality watches. The only type of watch which might possible provoke a reaction, would be some oversized, tacky, blingy job. That's a fact.
    i dont wear my rolex for attention as its not flashed around i keep it to myself as i dont want my friends or people im out with to think im only wearing it to show that im in some way wealthier then they are,
    for one id just look like a tit id be abused all night long by them taking the pea and owning a few nice watches dont make me wealthier then someone else, they mite spend there wealth on a boat or new cars.
    iv drawn this point out a bit to far i think and forgotten was i was on about...oh yeah my point is i dont wear a rolex for it to be noticed the only person who needs to know its there is me and thats enough to keep me buzzing all night

plus im not in the best place to be getting my rolex noticed due to chance of being beaten and mugged on the way home
    remember i live in hull, it wont take a lot to get some of these boys going..lol its savage round here
    old Ronnie Pickering only lives round the corner from me dont want to him wearing my rolex

Banned
    Not for the staring at, it's for the wearing of, or driving about in, or living in.

If you buy something use it don't hide it away, it's up to other people to get over the envy because that's what it is pure and simple after all the joke's and ribbing has been torn away.

You don't dress like a bag of shite tied in the middle because of a fear of being labeled wealthy you buy what you like within budget or extend your budget with a flexible friend.

Sometimes you have to except it's a forgone conclusion that whatever you do people will always title tattle so just get on with it.

Some people just can not understand, but once you have wealth you understand this.

When you cannot have something because it's ever so expensive you want it bad.

When you can afford it you're not bothered about it because you can buy it.

The only one bothered about your Rolex is you, true friends will except you for what you are not what you have, the rest can go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    You don't dress like a bag of shite tied in the middle because of a fear of being labeled wealthy...
    I dress like that, but people think I must be wealthy because I spend bugger-all on clothes. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I dress like that, but people think I must be wealthy because I spend bugger-all on clothes. ;-)

R
    Well, you did hide that fact very well, I didn't notice at all...............

Daddel.

Master
    im really feel different wearing a rolex watch on my wrists it makes me feel like a man when i walk around town with my sleefes rolled up to my elbows and everyone is looking at me like hey that guy has a expensive watch he must be rich or maybe he is a moviestar or somthing i alway love that and i try to go out as much as i can to show it of even though my wife tells me i cant because she makes me sit at home and do the dishes or wash clothes i never wear my rolex inside the house because it might get scratches on it so i wear a casio instead and then i really feel awful because its not a rolex but a casio but i switch when my wife is not looking and then i feel good again

Brave thread, as on here, well... You read some of the comments!

It's not about anyone else as a) my watches aren't distinctive and b) nobody cares anyway.
    I think the above sums it up.....l it's not about anyone else ! Life is short and if a Rolex make you feel good about yourself ...Why not !

Can we have a rerun of this thread, except substituting "a Bond NATO" for "Rolex"?

I think for many people luxury goods are all about how the wearer/owner would like to be seen, and therefore in that sense make the wearer feel better or different.

Hence the Bond Omega tie-up and the entire history of celeb endorsement: when you buy an Omega you feel a little bit more like James Bond. That's why companies do it.

The problem is, although the psychology still holds true, I'm not sure for how much longer: these days everyone has a flashy 4x4, designer clothes and a tasty watch whether they can afford them or not! And ever more so, people with real money err on the side of discretion.

(Unless they're Russian of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Can we have a rerun of this thread, except substituting "a Bond NATO" for "Rolex"?
    ??

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Hence the Bond Omega tie-up and the entire history of celeb endorsement: when you buy an Omega you feel a little bit more like James Bond. That's why companies do it.
    It's an odd one this; watched Skyfall on DVD last Christmas, within 48hrs there was a 42mm PO on my wrist. Within a week of that I sold it as the tie-up made me cringe!

Actually the Spectre 300 is the only Bond watch that has appealed to me.
    Anyway, getting back to OP's point- am not sure if people cannot read or comprehend, they have gotten it all mixed and ascribe to him things he has not said and then gone on to editorialize. What he has said is not as simple as enjoying luxury items or not as stupid as feeling superior for wearing a Rolex.
    IMO, it is a perfectly legitimate feeling and can come from watches or things other than Rolex too.

Craftsman
    It's an odd one this; watched Skyfall on DVD last Christmas, within 48hrs there was a 42mm PO on my wrist. Within a week of that I sold it as the tie-up made me cringe!
    Ironically, I did the opposite. I bought a 42mm PO when Skyfall came out, and I have worn it more than any other watch I've ever owned.

I'd love the Aqua Terra to go with it, but finding one is problematic, but I'm sure one will come up soon enough.

I also have a Rolex, and I like it, it gets more comments than my Omegas but I think that's because it's a Milgauss GV and quite out of the ordinary with the green crystal.

Don't care about the comments, and I don't feel any better for wearing my Rolex vs one of my Omegas vs my PRS vs my Bambino. I like them all, they all serve different aesthetic purposes.

Were I to get the 116600 then I'll have an aesthetic issue as, ostensibly, it's quite similar to the PO in appearance. This is currently blocking domestic approval, despite me pointing to all the differences and even just saying 'look at it, it's lovely'.

I bought a PO firstly because I admire the aesthetics, engineering, etc - but I like and see the "Bond" endorsement as supporting a very successful "British" Film institution - nothing to do with wanting to actually be a "super spy"...? As per the "moon watch" I'm a sucker for some background heritage...

As per the OP's Rolex, some of my "luxury" watches make me feel better in many ways - from being very nice objects, to symbols of my achievements, to myself and on occasion others...
    Last edited by 2kilo; 27th October 2015 at 12:11.

Master
    Agree fully. I see the 'nice' things that I've been able to gradually afford over time as rewards for my effort and hard work in 'life'. So in using/wearing them, I use and wear them with personal pride and gratefulness for all the good (and sometimes bad!) opportunities that have been endured and conquered.

I like Rolexes, and find myself drawn to them. More so than other brands, although some of them are more up-market compared to Rolex. Lange/AP/VC/PP are all beautiful works of art to me, but they don't offer the same affordable entry point that a person may typically find themselves in, when able to indulge/splashout/invest in a Rolex when they start becoming reasonably successful at whatever it is they do.

In comparison, Omegas and Tags are also nice watches, but so mainstream that they do not (to me) offer quite the same 'reward' factor. New price is an issue, and secondhand values also affect my judgment on this. Rolexes are pricier but retain more value, and it remains a clear indication to me of wholesale market perception and intrinsic value. So a lower TCO is also a nice reward that suggests one can be savvier instead of splashing out on the next greatest thing from another brand.