closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster variations

Journeyman

Speedmaster variations

Hello all,

a recent thread about where to buy a Speedmaster from got me thinking about buying one. Now I normally prefer Diver style watches but since joining this forum I have seen that the Speedmaster is very popular, and I have started thinking about purchasing one. Especially as it seems you could pick one up for between £1500-£2000. The thing is there are a lot of models to choose from. I am not into flipping watches so it would be bought to wear, but then again I would not want something that was going to plummet in price and would like something "classic". I know everyones taste is different but would like some input into what models members reccomend and what ones they would advise to avoid.

When looking at various sellers I think I prefer the "Moonwatch" but I also like the Broad Arrow version. I also think that the Speedmaster Reduced would suit my small wrist, but would need to see one first see see the size. Again I would appreciate people who have greater knowledge and experience opinions on which model they would choose and why.

If you have done a little reading you will be aware that there can only be one "classic" speedy. That's the one that was flight qualified by NASA. There are others that have a following and there are others that are prettier to look at. The price second hand will reflect the level of interest / desirability of a given model. Shop carefully.

You've got the budget...just make sure that whatever you buy had been serviced or else make allowance for that in the price you pay.

IMO, no-one can help you decide between a Moonwatch and any other Speedmaster variant...it's down to personal taste (hesalite v sapphire, hands, date, moonphase etc).

Would a Reduced be a better size for you? Again, that's highly personal but it might if your wrist is quite small. At 39 mm the Reduced isn't a lot smaller others, but it is noticeable (link). What size watch do you usually prefer?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Try the proper Speemaster Professional before you think about a reduced. The original isn't big anyway and wears smaller than its size suggests. My wrist is under 6.75 and the Speedy fits easily.

I love Speedmasters but only the manual wind versions. In your price range you can get a standard moon watch reference 3570.50 with 1861 movement or older 3590.50 or 145.022 with the 861 movement. You can also get a broad arrow watch reference 3594.50 with the 1861 movement, it is the same as a 3570.50 except for the dial (dark gray instead of black and without "Professional" written on it), the hands, the bezel and case back. A bit of careful shopping may find you a 3592.50 or 3572.50, a moon watch with a display back. The photos below show them on a strap, I don't much like the Speedmaster bracelet.

3572.50 (with tritium dial/hands)

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    er
    Ohh, that looks great on that strap. I think I'll see what's in the box later...

Journeyman
    Many thanks for the helpful replies and the link to the "speedy tuesday" article. I must do some more reading and research and perhaps compile some sort of comparison spreadsheet of the different models and movements lol!

I picked up a Speedmaster Moonphase last week. I actually went in to look at the classic Moonwatch and tried both. Loved both but the Moonphase slightly more. I have quite a few watches but there is something quite nice about getting into the routine of winding this each day. One of the posters above says that they wear quite small and I would agree. I have an Aqua Terra and this is slightly bigger at 42mm but looks smaller.

Chris

Apprentice

First Omega in Space

At 39.7mm the "First Omega in Space" Speedmaster might be worth a look if you prefer a smaller watch

Quote Originally Posted by riatsala View Post
    At 39.7mm the "First Omega in Space" Speedmaster might be worth a look if you prefer a smaller watch
    It's smaller on paper but... All they have done is remove the crown guards and make the case symmetrical. It's not a physically smaller watch.

Plenty more to think about ;-)

Craftsman
    Manual and Co Axial available.

Journeyman
    Lots of lovely looking watches. I am going to have up my post count so I can submit a wtb thread! So far the models I like the most are all discontinued, so I would have to look for a used or nos if possible to find. I have seen a couple on Chrono24 but would prefer to source the model from the uk if possible. Or I could always save up some more and get a new moonwatch.....
    Decisions decisions!

Banned
    I recently went for the new 57 Vintage version, couldn't be happier with the watch.

That looks fantastic.

Chris

Journeyman
    That 1957 looks the biz Captain, but new prices are more than I can afford. Another thing that has attracted me to tge Speedmaster collection is that they look good on almost every strap be it leather bracelet or nato

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    That 1957 looks the biz Captain, but new prices are more than I can afford. Another thing that has attracted me to tge Speedmaster collection is that they look good on almost every strap be it leather bracelet or nato
    There's not many watches that look good on any kind of strap, the Breitling Chronomat series is another imo. As for the Speedmaster, I ordered the bracelet for it yesterday as this watch is now officially a keeper.

how about this for a variation:

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    That's why the old '57 edition exists ;)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    That's why the old '57 edition exists ;)

What a great looking watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    how about this for a variation:

Not for me I prefer the speedmaster on leather. At least the look of it as I have tried neither leather or bracelet. Must say I like the look of the 3572.50 on leather in Saxon007's post and Captainhowdys looks good too.
    Like I said so many lovely looking watches, decisions, decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    What a great looking watch.
    Cheers Paul - and getting a surprising amount of wear, certainly more than my traditional Speedy Pro did.