closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rare piece, great offer - should I do it?

Master

Rare piece, great offer - should I do it?

I'm in a quandary.

I'm lucky enough to own a mid-70s Tudor Sub (blue) in great condition, with box and papers and everything. Love the watch to bits.

However, I've had what I think is a pretty decent offer for it from a local guy and I'm tempted to sell (I have another Snowflake that I'm very happy with, although it's been worn to hell and back and it's the total opposite of this!). Thing is I just can't figure out what's going on with values - I've really no idea what it's worth. There are some American sellers asking crazy money for far worse examples, with pitting, dial corrosion and generally in poor condition, but there just aren't any sales anywhere of good examples with box and papers to base a price on (understandably, it seems they're rare as hen's teeth). Are these Jacek/Kirill/Eric types just over-ambitious dealers or a taste of what's to come?

More importantly, have any of you ever been charmed by an offer, sold a hard-to-come-by piece for good money and later regretted it?

Pictures attached for your enjoyment :)

Last edited by ddm27; 22nd October 2015 at 19:28.

Thats one of the nicest examples of a Tudor Snowflake Sub I've seen. I've been offered on and accepted for my old SMP300 for a more than fair price. I think every watch flip carries a memory that most mistake for regret. You've owned it, enjoyed it - but if you still really enjoy a watch, no price will be tempting enough.

I have been offered a respectable price for mine, albeit without papers and box, which I turned down on the above written grounds ;-)

Master
    Unless you a) want to sell or b) have to sell, I wouldn't be parting with it just because you've had a good offer. Replacing it will be very tough.

If you are going to sell, I'm guessing north of £3k is where you should be looking (assuming you have the bracelet).

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be selling that one.

That looks like a stunning example and I would be hard pressed to be parting with that. Box & Papers is a nice bonus too.

I have often considered one of these but I joined the party after the prices started to rise so have held off for now

If you are looking to sell, Tony Learningtofly has a WTB for one .
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    My god, I wouldn't even dream of selling that beauty

I wouldn't sell that, it's a beauty.

You'll be sorryyyy.

Craftsman
    Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    If you are looking to sell, Tony Learningtofly has a WTB for one .
    He does indeed (thanks Jason). Happy to discuss a potential deal, so drop me a PM if you're interested.

keep it, if the money is tempting then console yourself with 'it will only go up'!

I was looking for a decent one for ages, then this came along...I'll hold on to it ;-) ... Just bought a period bracelet for it as well!

Unless you already have a greater 'replacement' for it, don't do it!
    As you already know, finding one with B&P is rare, and you "Love the watch to bits"

Selling these two probably came closest to making me experience seller's remorse but at least they went for a grail.

A Tudor 9401....complete with B&P!
    [img][/img]

A pristine 'Anakin' Seamaster
    [img][/img]

Chye

Nice watch, appears that prices are on the rise for these and other vintage pieces as they just don't seem to come that often now days for sensible monies!

As you say plenty of offerings in the US of A with varying degrees of quality, NB Times seems to have cornered the market on Tropical dials.....?

I would keep it if I were you. It's lovely.

I don't know what has been offered (none of my business) but unless it's crazy money, I wouldn't consider it if you weren't considering selling it prior to the offer.
    These Snowflakes are on the rise, and if you want to sell it in the future, I doubt you will get less (once again, unless the offer being made is ridiculously high).
    Last edited by Eddy C.; 23rd October 2015 at 12:11.

Another vote for keeping it. You don't seem to want to part from it, it just happened you had a great offer. I think it is pretty safe to say you can get a great offer for that one any time...

Master
    Keeper. Everything has it's price but I guarantee unless it buys you a villa or a life saving operation for you or a member of your family you'll regret the sale.

Master

Thanks for your input guys. Judging by the response and the interest I've had since making this post (!) it doesn't look like I'll be missing out on anything by not selling now. And you're right, I do love it.

For reference, since many people have asked, the offer I received was £4k.

I certainly didn't buy this to sell any time soon, but it does appear that prices are rapidly on the increase for these, and I haven't ever seen another with B&Ps so hopefully this is a wise one to hang on to for the future.
    Last edited by ddm27; 23rd October 2015 at 19:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    I was looking for a decent one for ages, then this came along...I'll hold on to it ;-) ... Just bought a period bracelet for it as well!

Christ, that's absolutely gorgeous. What year is it?

Master

Last edited by ddm27; 23rd October 2015 at 19:37.

I doubt I could part with your watch, it is fantastic.

After stupidly passing up a 94101 Lollipop I've looked for a blue 9401 or 94010 (I don't want a date on it) for years and haven't run across a decent one at a reasonable price. With prices rising I may have missed the boat. I do have a black 94010 so all is not lost.

Another member here, also completely unknown to you, is ready to offer his advice
    Do you need the money? Either because you've hit on hard times, or the wife just kerbed your shiny alloys, or more importantly you have another one in sight? If the answer is yes, you have to make your decision yourself, we know nothing of your circumstances. If the answer is no, why do you even ask? this is nicer than having money in your bank, and probably just as marketable...

Unless of course it is a cleverly disguised way to attract offers outside of SC. But no one would do that of course.

£4 is a fair offer. I don't think you'd ever feel cheated if you let it go for that.

On a different note, one sold on Gumtree for £1700 a month or so ago, I missed it because I wouldn't go another £100, kicking myself slightly now! The seller initially advertised at £1100 and there was a bidding war!

These guys have a couple with B&Ps for similar money. One of them may be the £1700 Gumtree one, who knows!

http://www.robinsonsjewellers.com
    Last edited by TimeOut; 24th October 2015 at 07:50.

It's not often that you see one of these in a complete set. It's also not often that you see one with such a lovely dial and where the lume on it seems to match the lume on the hands perfectly. Lovely ageing to the insert too. IMO, the £4K offer is too low.

£4k does seem a tad low, given condition and accompanying papers. I enquired about one advertised at Worldoftime earlier this year, the asking price was €6950 without papers.

At another forum a Blue snowflake 94110 with folded link bracelet and box and anchor sold for 5000 US dollars in great shape like yours if that helps. I remember 4-6 years ago just before Tudor brought back the snowflake were people relearned there were vintage ones out there getting a Tudor black dial snowflake 2021/0 head only in great shape for 2000 US dollars the price has all most doubled since I got mine. I really think prices went up on these due to Tudor bringing back the snowflake and vintage collectors learning these vintage ones are out there.
    Last edited by River Rat; 24th October 2015 at 12:06.

Craftsman
    Keep it...if you love it.

Sorry for the late reply, the watch is from 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Christ, that's absolutely gorgeous. What year is it?

Craftsman
    Seeing as Tudor is back on the rise and no doubt the older models will gain popularity so it seems a bit premature to cash out now. I'd hold on to it. If the dealer is really keen they probably have a buyer waiting with cash already and you'll be lining their pockets instead of yours.

£4K isn't enough if it has absolutely everything then closer to £6k

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesy B View Post
    Seeing as Tudor is back on the rise and no doubt the older models will gain popularity so it seems a bit premature to cash out now. I'd hold on to it. If the dealer is really keen they probably have a buyer waiting with cash already and you'll be lining their pockets instead of yours.
    that sounds good to me iv got 5 70's auto tudors, think ill keep hold of them

I always regret selling.

So now I ask myself a simple question: could I replace it with relative ease? if the answer's no, I don't sell.