closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Running a 10k for the first time.

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

Running a 10k for the first time.

I was inspired by 2 friends who ran the York marathon for the first time on Sunday in aid of a hospice close to their hearts.

So motivated by this, I've decided to get my lardy carcass off the sofa & start running. I've signed up for the Manchester 10k in May, so I should, in theory, have a modicum of fitness behind me.

What is a reasonable target I should be aiming for? I'm not Haille Gebrselassie, nor will I have a team of Kenyan pacemakers helping me. I just want to do it in a reasonable time & not embarass myself.

I know a few of you on here are keen runners, so any advice/tips etc would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Adam

Master
    There was a thread on this about 2 or 3 weeks ago - see if you can find it as I recall it had lots of good starter advice in it (i'll have a look for it now if I get chance)

Start slowly and set realistic targets would be my top tip.

I used the Couch to 5k (c25k) programme of podcasts which are available on the NHS Health Unlocked website. I have NEVER been able to run any distance before, as I always injured myself in the very early stages by overdoing it too early in the process. The c25k programmes may seem a bit lame, but they avoids you hurting yourself - which is the main reason people fail. Stick with it and you will be absolutely fine.

There are a set of more advanced podcasts also available to allow you to progress after the 5k has been achieved.

My second tip would be to get fitted for some proper running shoes early - by someone who knows what they are doing - ie a proper running shop. Sweatshop are generally well thought of around here.

Good luck and stick with it!

Look on the bupa website ... They have 0-5k and 5-10k programmes which help.

Start now and add distance slowly so you are ready for May but don't hurt yourself - you certainly don't need to be running 10k regularly, maybe even train to 8 or so and do the other 2 on the day rather than risk injury ?

I don't run much but am quite fit and did 5k in 23 minutes so I would have thought an hour be reasonable depending upon body shape, fitness & training ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    My second tip would be to get fitted for some proper running shoes early - by someone who knows what they are doing - ie a proper running shop. Sweatshop are generally well thought of around here.
    I've got the shoes, compression vests running jackets etc. All the gear, no idea!

I've a 5k route that I do, I've started a combination of running/fast walking. I added another segment of running & the time came down by 2 minutes to 44 minutes. Hardly pulling up trees, but it's going in the right direction. There's sections where I walk which I think I can run that bit, so hopefully the time will come down even further.

Hi Adam,

As others have suggested already Couch to 5K is a great starting point, I found the fist 5K is the hard bit; once you get to 5K the rest gets easier up to half marathon distance, then marathons and ultras get seriously tough.

10K is a great distance I find. Start steady and use C25K or other getting started schedules. I have attached some free content stuff below from Runners World web site which may also be of use, this is a great resource and you'll no-doubt find other helpful advice on there. You've plenty of time also so get started now but listen to your body and ease back/miss a run if you feel injured, this would be my best advice. Don't just religiously follow a training schedule, just use it as a rough guide and run when you can, there is nothing worse than being prevented from running due to an injury, so start slow and short and build up gradually and safely.

I'd also suggest a gait analysis to ensure you are in the correct footwear from a decent running shop (Not some high street fashion outlet).

For a first race I wouldn't worry about times either, worry about that next 10K and over the years to come. Maybe just aim at maintaining a jog the whole way round for your first 10K.

I hope this helps, best of luck.

Darren

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginn...teps/6843.html

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginn...unning/24.html

Just to add something extra since you mentioned time, if you are worried by this, I'd suggest under an hour as a suitable bench mark time. It equates to 6.2mph/10KPH (obviously) which is a reasonable steady jog. If you have access to a treadmill; whilst they are no substitute for miles on the street, they can help with finding your pace

10kph = 60 minutes
    12kph = 50 minutes
    15kph = 40 minutes

If you get to less than 40 minutes let me know and you can offer me some training tips :-)

Craftsman
    If it's the first time you have run 10k, and assuming it's not offroad or up and down hills, I think you should aim to complete it in 1 hr. I think that is a fair time for someone who doesn't do much running.

I agree with the others here, most people doing their first 10k want to complete in less than 1 hour, likewise people doing their first half want to do it in under 2 hours and under 4 hours for a marathon.

If you carry on and run regularly or join a running club these times will come down. I wouldn't worry about the times too much, for example completing the run without walking should give you more of a buzz than an actual time.

Best advice, just stay in front of that ambulance that follows the tail enders !!!

Ran 10k for the 1st time in about 16 years the other week (after a few weeks back running gradually working up the distance). Did a gentle 48.38 - not too bad after so many years off.

I'm down to 22.43 for 5k so should be able to push for sub 45 soon for 10k.

The vague plan is a triathlon next April.

Couch to 10k would be OK but I've never exactly been a couch potato (I cycle and play lots of squash and badminton).

Cardio exercise REALLY helps with something like this - so cycling and swimming on your non-running days are good, particularly as they are lower impact and you can take it easier.

I seem to have a natural pace (8 min miles) that lets me run pretty much indefinitely (assuming I fuel correctly on the way) so maybe I should look at marathons?

I didn't find the 5k too hard and ran 25 mins on my second run after a gap of 16 years - my first run was 2.5 miles and HURT the day after.

My only real advice is keep at it and set yourself targets. Get the weight down as well - every Kg lost is worth about 10 tonnes less weight lifted over 4-5 miles (10000 strides x 1Kg). It makes a huge difference.

Also, the very best of luck with it!

MarkC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Get the weight down as well - every Kg lost is worth about 10 tonnes less weight lifted over 4-5 miles (10000 strides x 1Kg). It makes a huge difference.

Also, the very best of luck with it!

MarkC
    Yep, the bay window needs to shrink. I've just joined the local parkrun, so once I'm back from my hols in a fortnight, I'll pop down.

Craftsman
    When I started running I bought a polar heart rate monitor. I set an upper and lower limit, I think 175 upper and 140 lower. At the start run (jog) until the alarm goes off for the upper limit, then walk until the heart rate drops to the lower limit. As time goes by and you get fitter, it will take longer for your heart rate to max out and you will recover quicker. You will find yourself running more and walking less until the day comes when you're running it all. It also means you can make sure you're not pushing yourself too hard. BTW, I was about 16st when I started and had very poor fitness.

Sadly, I no longer run as an old knee injury plays up when I do, swapped the running for swimming and happy at that now. I did a few legs on a relay team in the local marathon and did a 10k once (just over an hour).

Good luck.

Journeyman
    There is some great advice here, the only thing I would add is try and find a running partner, it will make those days when you would rather miss a run more bearable