closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ideas for a cheap quartz diver please.

Master

Ideas for a cheap quartz diver please.

There are those who may hate this kind of thread, but I actually personally enjoy them very much. This isn't a "shall I buy a Zenith or Rolex?" thread where the general response is "buy what you LIKE and enjoy it". This is a search where I'm after the collective knowledge I a subject I don't know much about.
    As the title says, I'm after a very cheap, very tough diver to be strapped to the handle bar muff of my Honda C90. I only have a 45 minute ride to work - I know how long it takes, because I've done it 100's of times, but for some reason I'm obsessed with looking at my watch when I'm driving, even more so on the way to work and I really miss it.
    I bought a Monster for the job a couple of years back and fitted it to a long Zulu to be strapped over my jacket; but I only do the journey on and off - sometimes 3 days a week and sometimes not for two weeks at a time and I got fed up with setting the monster all the time, it was a real faff strapping it on over my jacket, and it used to slip round my wrist making it a bugger to read.
    I have bar muffs fitted over the bars and there's a perfect place to strap it on, I think the webbing is about 20mm wide.
    So the requirements are;
    Must be tough - it will take a significant battering strapped to those bars.
    Must be tough - for when I fall off which I have done a couple of times.
    Must have good water resistance - I ride in ALL weathers, including monsoons, and snow a couple of times!
    A fairly good size 42mm or there abouts - so that it's easy to read.
    Must have good lume - I ride regularly in the dark.
    Must be Quartz with a reasonable battery life.
    20mm lug width please.
    Lastly, the cheaper the better!!!
    In essence I'd like a Monster, but less bulky if possible, and Quartz powered but also cheaper!!!!!!
    There you have it chaps, get creative and recommend me something!!
    Cheers.
    PM22.

Master
    Divex do a good range of (Seiko powered) quartz watches at a reasonable price.
    Mike

I would look at the Citizen Promaster Titanium Tough Ecodrives.... Good enough for Ray Mears....

PRS-18Q.

Scurfa not bad for £100 or so.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Personally I think these will take some beating
    http://4thelement-diving.co.uk/produ...h-rubber-strap

Master
    Had the same idea and attached a cheap and light £15 analogue solar Casio to the handlebars of my pushbike. However for the more demanding application you describe, I suspect something like this would cope admirably:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-MTD-10...dp/B002U0KHP6/

Or this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-MDV106.../dp/B009KYJAJY

Just concentrate on your riding, admiring a watch strapped to your bars whist riding could be fatal.... You know how long the journey takes, just leave 5 minutes early and admire your watch for a whole 5 minutes before you start work.. ;)

Master
    There's a cheap Casio diver in sales corner at the moment, might fit the bill?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Just concentrate on your riding, admiring a watch strapped to your bars whist riding could be fatal.... You know how long the journey takes, just leave 5 minutes early and admire your watch for a whole 5 minutes before you start work.. ;)
    I have no need to leave earlier - I know pretty much what time I leave - and give or take 2 or 3 mins I know what time that'll get me to the office. And you're correct I do in fact spend a lot of time admiring watches (on the wrist), however in this instance I'll actually be using it for the purpose it was intended - keeping track of the time!
    I don't see that there's any distraction what so ever in looking down at the dashboard to check the speed, neither that of making a quick glance at the time which will be next to the speedo anyway.
    It is utterly irrational and I can't explain why - I want to keep track of time, even though I pretty much already know what time it is. And to make matters worse, on that little bike I have no way of getting there any faster (it tops out at 45mph) even if I do find myself behind time - which I won't!!
    But then let's face it, there is something very irrational about this hobby anyway!!
    Last edited by Piemuncher22; 13th October 2015 at 23:08.

Master
    And thanks for the replies and ideas chaps!

I don't have any suggestions. I just wanted to say C90s are freaking awesome, and you should post a picture of it. That is all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I would look at the Citizen Promaster Titanium Tough Ecodrives.... Good enough for Ray Mears....
    This would be my advice also.
    That said, if you want cheap, have a look at J Springs.

Journeyman
    Seiko BFK? Some good deals to be had on them.

The new Scurfa Diver I is hard to beat in this category.

Craftsman
    Another Scurfa vote here,silicon out of stock but back soon I hear,cracking VFM.

I had a cheap Casio digital on my off-roader for a good few years. It took quite a battering but lasted well. A cheap g shock would do the job too.

I didn't have an issue but if you leave the watch on the bike whilst parked up then it's likely to get stolen.

This was quite cheap and recently recvd

60GBP

An analogue G-Shock?

Apeks have a funky range of re-branded Seikos.

www.apeksdiving.com

I think my 200m was about £65.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Divex do a good range of (Seiko powered) quartz watches at a reasonable price.
    Mike
    They do, same as Apeks, Astina, Aqualung, Chris Benz, Deep Blue, Deporte, MDE, Momentum, OMS, Poseidon, St.Moritz, Tauchmeister, Viking, Zeagle, 32ş, as Divex shares cases and movements! I had this one once:

Now I own this one:

The difference? A colored hand, a somewhat different dial, an He escape valve, oh, and a different brand name... Same case and the sameSII quartz movement.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    They are not particularly cheap! Way more than a Monster!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Apeks have a funky range of re-branded Seikos.
    Re-branded Seiko's? I don't think so! They may have the looks, and even the SII (made in China-Seiko movements), but they have nothing to do with Seiko. Now when it is a Alba, J.Springs, Lorus, Pulsar, they yes, they might use of Seiko's original parts...