closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Roger Smith case making videos

Roger Smith case making videos

Roger Smith has just updated his YouTube channel with his walkthough of how he makes his cases. Well worth a watch I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rwsmithwatches/videos

Craftsman
    Great update. If you can handle the low production values and are a horological nerd it's worth looking out for the DVD made by the late Martin Matthews, too. He was a fourth generation casemaker and his methods were virtually unchanged. Watching him is facinating, if dry, viewing.

Edited to add, the V&A museum used clips from the DVD without sound to loop over one of their exhibits years ago. I don't know if it's still there, but they have it online here. I love how casual he is about everything. He was using his own fireplace (in the front room of his house!) for some of the annealing, rather than use a micrometer/vernier, he'd just cut a length of paper! You really get the impression he could do this in his sleep:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/channel/things/...the_watchcase/
    Last edited by glazba; 9th October 2015 at 22:53.

Thanks for posting, best thing I've watched for quite some time.

Also enjoyed Roger's work watch, if that isn't an advert for the Explorer I, I don't know what is.

Superb!

Quote Originally Posted by glazba View Post
    Great update. If you can handle the low production values and are a horological nerd it's worth looking out for the DVD made by the late Martin Matthews, too. He was a fourth generation casemaker and his methods were virtually unchanged. Watching him is facinating, if dry, viewing.

Edited to add, the V&A museum used clips from the DVD without sound to loop over one of their exhibits years ago. I don't know if it's still there, but they have it online here. I love how casual he is about everything. He was using his own fireplace (in the front room of his house!) for some of the annealing, rather than use a micrometer/vernier, he'd just cut a length of paper! You really get the impression he could do this in his sleep:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/channel/things/...the_watchcase/
    Yes amazing DVD, I was blown away when he didn't measure anything. That and the acid under the fireplace and spit for lubricating his gravers.

Thanks for sharing. Will watch later.

Craftsman
    Really interesting viewing.

I've previously searched case making videos and couldn't find much at all

I've just finished watching the 7 parts and thoroughly enjoyed them. Very interesting and informative to see the process from a rod of gold to a finished and cased watch. Thanks for posting the link OP.
    F.T.F.A.