closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fridge Freezer Advice

Craftsman

Fridge Freezer Advice

Hi,

After 22 years, my fridge freezer has packed up. Unfortunately, these type of robust machines are no longer available.

Are there any decent brands to consider - the fridge has to be over 60cm in width. Most I have seen seem to be 60cm.

Some brands that I have looked at are Miele, Maytag and Fisher and Pykal.

Advice appreciated.

What size are you after? 'American style' fridge freezers are certainly wider than 60cm.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have an LG American style. Amazing piece of kit, very quiet and pretty economical.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hotpoint do a 70cm one, fridge over freezer, there are different storage configurations within the doors of the fridge though so viewing is required as one version considerable cuts down space for milk and other large items on the inner door. Bosch do one too. Proper side by side American style fridges are typically 90 or 92cm, lots of brands make them, prices from about £600, some will need plumbing for the water cooler to work properly.
    Depth is worth checking out too, modern houses have skinny little doors which may need the new unit to be partially dismantled to get it in situ.

Craftsman
    Thanks, forgot to mention no requirement for ice or cold water.

I was not keen on the American style and preferred the traditional 70/30 split. Not many available, so will look into twin door styles.

Do any brands stand out in terms of reliability?

Master
    Which Magazine - pays your money then take your choice !

B

Master
    Miele all day long, though they are (or were when I bought mine) rebadged Liebherrs. They last longer, working properly, than anything else.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    this one seems to have all the boxes ticked, and a favourite for many looking for a new fridge freezer,

https://www.freezerworld/top5alltime/over60cm

just messing, try this one out

http://www.fridgefreezer.co.uk/elite/besteva
    Last edited by soundood; 8th October 2015 at 00:23.

Banned
    You just have to go and check them out yourself. See if things fit. I know its a hassle but tbf youve only got to lug the body around john lewis every other decade...

Walk down to your local library. Find the shelf where they keep all the 'Which' reports. Review recommendations for fridge freezers. Buy fridge freezer.

Only mugs buy fancy brand new fridge freezers - the depreciation is huge. How about a vintage model with some soul? Here's my FreezerMaster 2000. Check out the gorgeous patina. The salad compartment even has an original 25 year old lettuce in it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Miele all day long
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Walk down to your local library. Find the shelf where they keep all the 'Which' reports. Review recommendations for fridge freezers. Buy fridge freezer.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-8426154.html

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    What's with the passive-aggressiveness? He's asked for recommendations, that's all. If you don't have one, kindly move along - nothing to see here.

Personally, I find the various recommendation threads very useful. If not now, then in the future when I need to buy whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Only mugs buy fancy brand new fridge freezers - the depreciation is huge. How about a vintage model with some soul? Here's my FreezerMaster 2000. Check out the gorgeous patina. The salad compartment even has an original 25 year old lettuce in it.

Hmmm. I was about to pull the trigger on a new one, simply to get the full AD experience, but I'm not so sure now. Do you think that a lack of boxes, papers and service history would be a deal breaker if buying vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Hmmm. I was about to pull the trigger on a new one, simply to get the full AD experience, but I'm not so sure now. Do you think that a lack of boxes, papers and service history would be a deal breaker if buying vintage?
    That is proper pre-loved.

Journeyman
    When my fridge freezer died - I went searching for a new large replacement.

I have a Samsung model - self defrosting , stainless steel .. Very happy with it. Fridge section on top / freezer bottom ... I'd recommend this layout : with more space for fridge than freezer.

About 1.95 m high and 0.65 x .65 approx - very roomy.

One suggestion : the double width American style ones are HUGE.. and can be hard to fit in to a kitchen. If u need that much space the cheaper alternative would be to buy 2 smaller units. And easier to fit into kitchen + garage / utility .

We've got a Siemens American style in the kitchen with lots of room and crushed ice /cubes and cold water etc - it's good.
    However we also have a huge Samsung one (as above) in the garage with fridge on top and freezer underneath and it's bullet proof - had it 10 years so far with out issue..

Wider than 60 and non American, you're looking at Miele or Fisher & Paykel for a good one. Hotpoint do a few but are trash in terms of build.

Blog Entries
    Miele all day long, they are expensive but the manufacturing quality, longevity and warranty are worth the cost. Liebherr were mentioned earlier as rebadging Miele, I would have no hesitation in buying anything under a Liebherr badge, I used to sell energy absorption equipment to Liebherr for their ship-to-shore cranes and their quality assurance and manufacturing standards are second to none!
    Last edited by KavKav; 9th October 2015 at 00:43.

Craftsman
    Some good recommendations so far, thanks.

The problem I have with fridge freezers is most of them have a tiny freezer section and a massive fridge! I want the opposite. Because I live in the country, I do about a week's worth of shopping at a time, so that naturally includes a fair bit of frozen food, and I also cook several meals at once and freeze the leftovers. No chance of that with piddly little freezers that can store about one fish finger.

I've never found a replacement yet which has as much freezer capacity as my current (very old) fridge.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    The problem I have with fridge freezers is most of them have a tiny freezer section and a massive fridge! I want the opposite. Because I live in the country, I do about a week's worth of shopping at a time, so that naturally includes a fair bit of frozen food, and I also cook several meals at once and freeze the leftovers. No chance of that with piddly little freezers that can store about one fish finger.

I've never found a replacement yet which has as much freezer capacity as my current (very old) fridge.
    a separate chest freezer is the answer for you, we had to do this when the kids got bigger, like yourself we make big meal batches and then freeze portions, couple that with large roasting joints and things like oven chips, the space soon fills up.

we use the house freezer for ice cubes, ice-creams, deserts and picnic freezer packs

Master

What capacity is that? This Miele for example is a 50/50:

http://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/refr...KFN_12924_SD-1

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    What capacity is that? This Miele for example is a 50/50:

http://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/refr...KFN_12924_SD-1
    It looks 50/50, but if you check the numbers it's actually 227L fridge compared to 121L freezer. The reason is (I'm guessing) that the motor is in the bottom half of the cabinet. It's the same with most fridge freezers I've seen. I'd be quite happy with the same split if it were the other way round!

A tip someone gave me is to make sure the unit has two motors. One for each compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Miele all day long, they are expensive but the manufacturing quality, longevity and warranty are worth the cost. Liebherr were mentioned earlier as rebadging Miele, I would have no hesitation in buying anything under a Liebherr badge, I used to sell energy absorption equipment to Liebherr for their ship-to-shore cranes and their quality assurance and manufacturing standards are second to none!
    One of my biggest advertisers in Dry Cargo International incidentally.

I bought a liebherr freezer in 2001 and it's still going strong. In fact I was so impressed I bought the same model fridge in 2008 when I renewed the kitchen.

beautifully made, I'd have no hesitation in recommending.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubdweller View Post
    I bought a liebherr freezer in 2001 and it's still going strong. In fact I was so impressed I bought the same model fridge in 2008 when I renewed the kitchen.

beautifully made, I'd have no hesitation in recommending.
    Agree with this check out liebherr... Wish I had before I spent £2300 on a Siemens iq700 American .. Nothing but trouble with it. Siemens even swapped it out for a brand new one, still has problems.
    ... Live and learn

Master
    It looks 50/50, but if you check the numbers it's actually 227L fridge compared to 121L freezer. The reason is (I'm guessing) that the motor is in the bottom half of the cabinet. It's the same with most fridge freezers I've seen. I'd be quite happy with the same split if it were the other way round!
    Ah fair enough sorry. That makes sense - my Miele has shallower freezer drawers.

What's with the passive-aggressiveness? He's asked for recommendations, that's all. If you don't have one, kindly move along - nothing to see here.

Personally, I find the various recommendation threads very useful. If not now, then in the future when I need to buy whatever it is.
    The advice has merit, since "Which" is somewhat more qualified to advise on different brands of fridge-freezers than a bunch of complete unknown who happen to hang around a forum dedicated to watches.

Further than that, most will have a rather limited experience as one usually has one item and changes it far less frequently than the car.

For example, I'll gladly say that I am delighted by 14 years old Liebherr (is to fridge-freezers what Miele is to washing machines) but I have no idea of the different width available. So not the most useful answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The advice has merit, since "Which" is somewhat more qualified to advise on different brands of fridge-freezers than a bunch of complete unknown who happen to hang around a forum dedicated to watches.
    I think it's two different things. It's great to have a consumer magazine test and review a range of different products, and there's definitely a place for that.

Personal recommendations from people you know aren't the same thing as a Which? report. The reason is that when you recommend a product, you have a personal stake in it being good. If your friend follows your advice and ends up disappointed, you lose face and credibility.

It follows that you only recommend a product if you really think it's good. What's even more useful is if you can point out some of the bad aspects based on lots of real-world experience with it. A magazine test is one thing, but living with a fridge for years makes you very well-qualified to explain what's less than ideal about it.

This kind of recommendation and advice from personal experience is one of the most valuable things about the forum, I think. Long may it continue.

I think it's two different things. It's great to have a consumer magazine test and review a range of different products, and there's definitely a place for that.

Personal recommendations from people you know aren't the same thing as a Which? report. The reason is that when you recommend a product, you have a personal stake in it being good. If your friend follows your advice and ends up disappointed, you lose face and credibility.

It follows that you only recommend a product if you really think it's good. What's even more useful is if you can point out some of the bad aspects based on lots of real-world experience with it. A magazine test is one thing, but living with a fridge for years makes you very well-qualified to explain what's less than ideal about it.

This kind of recommendation and advice from personal experience is one of the most valuable things about the forum, I think. Long may it continue.
    I do not disagree with the general advice thing. But how many fridge-freezers have you had over the last 10 or 20 years? why did you change? (was one or 2 performing badly, so you got rid of them and would advice against them? or was it an issue with the after sales [which in turn would apply to your point of sale, or/and to all white goods of the same brand]? or was it just because you moved, or needed bigger/smaller so does not qualify for a negative advice)
    I believe that 95% of the members would be in a position to recommend the one they have at home, be it hotpoint or miele or anything in between. And that less than 1% would know from personal experience anything about the offer in the over-60cm width range.

That, and the fact that very few people here actually know each other, or care about 'losing face' on an internet forum. And those that do, and did, just came back with a new name.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Liebherr (is to fridge-freezers what Miele is to washing machines)
    As I said above, Miele fridge-freezers are rebadged Leibherr... so Liebherr is to fridge-freezers what Miele is to fridge-freezers!