closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Update: Making a simple pocket watch dial

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Update: Making a simple pocket watch dial

Made this about a month ago for a Swiss collector of vintage Omega.

Please see original post for procedure.

The dial has now been printed.

Hope you like !

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 7th October 2015 at 08:34.

That looks really good. Far better than leaving a watch with an original, but manky, dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    That looks really good. Far better than leaving a watch with an original, but manky, dial.
    Unless it's a Rolex ;)

Lovely work there. I have a new watch with a cracked dial, but am in two minds: I *think* a good clean will probably lift the dust from the cracks and make them less visible...

French cylinder escapement, quarter repeater, dial

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Unless it's a Rolex ;)

Lovely work there. I have a new watch with a cracked dial, but am in two minds: I *think* a good clean will probably lift the dust from the cracks and make them less visible...

French cylinder escapement, quarter repeater, dial
    A new dial had to be made because the old one had large pieces of enamel missing.

I use a technique taught to me by a now long deceased watch maker to remove the appearance of unsightly cracks in enamel dials:

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 7th October 2015 at 15:28.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Is the damage on the original dial due to the dial feet? It looks as though the three parts on the face line up with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    I use a technique taught to me by a now long deceased watch maker to remove the appearance of unsightly cracks in enamel dials:

I've heard that soap flakes are pretty good ;)

I'm just a #watchnerd, not a watchmaker or watch repairer, so don't trust myself to do *anything* to it. It's only a cheap early-mid 19th century French cylinder escapement quarter repeater, but it seems like a nice thing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Made this about a month ago for a Swiss collector of vintage Omega.

Please see original post for procedure.

The dial has now been printed.

Hope you like !

I thought this thread had vanished. Reposting because a couple of customers asked me for custom dials to be made.

This is how I make them:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Is the damage on the original dial due to the dial feet? It looks as though the three parts on the face line up with them.
    Was thinking the same. Looks to me like someone tried resoldering the dial feet and over heated the dial finish.

Nice work on the reproduction.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Was thinking the same. Looks to me like someone tried resoldering the dial feet and over heated the dial finish.

Nice work on the reproduction.
    Not soldering. Most likely trying to remove the dial without loosening the dial retaining screws

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice

Restoration's dial & movement

Dear Members,

I would like to add that I have had a number of watches restored by Brendan Hoey aka webwatchmaker and all I can say is first class in every way his attention to detail is second to none, I will try and post some pictures to go with this post.

Regards

Walter
    Attached Images Attached Images