closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I'm off to Japan ...

Master
    Blog Entries

I'm off to Japan ...

... don't really need a new watch but I'd like a look to see ...

Where is the best place to browse???

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    ... don't really need a new watch but I'd like a look to see ...

Where is the best place to browse???
    Where in Japan? That may help. Enjoy though... It's incredible.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Where in Japan? That may help. Enjoy though... It's incredible.
    Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Mianjima, Nikko, Fuji and a few other places ...

Assuming Tokyo is the place for watches.

Never been before; really looking forward to it.

So jealous....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Thanks the Seiko Museum looks worth a visit.

Master
    Excellent, bring me back a stick of rock.

Forget watches, just concentrate on the women.... superb

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Picasso View Post
    +1
    And the food!

Better go to the Philippines then, they're much cheaper there

Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Mianjima, Nikko, Fuji and a few other places ...
    Lucky, lucky man!

For how long?

from what i recall ginza in tokyo has the best watch shops! enjoy!

Lucky you. I worked there back in the 90's for Honda, amazing place.

Wasn't into watches back then but a definite +1 for the women.

Great memories, pints of lager with your breakfast at 6am (weird), real green tea (foul), Karaoke rooms (embarrassing) and gentleman bars (ahem) to name a few.

I'd love to go back one day...

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Great memories, pints of lager with your breakfast at 6am (weird), real green tea (foul), Karaoke rooms (embarrassing) and gentleman bars (ahem) to name a few.
    Sounds like Benidorm minus the green tea

Currently in Ginza (Tokyo) and there are lots of watch shops here including a lot of single brand boutiques. Prices are generally better than the UK as £ has appreciated against the Yen over the last year or so. You also get 8% tax back in most stores (some dept stores charge 1.1% for a tax free processing charge)
    Some buys are much better in Japan than others e.g. Grand Seiko is around 35% cheaper in Japan than in UK. Others not so much e.g Patek is around 10-15%.
    Stock in most shops is good but not as good as say Singapore. Discounting is also less prevalent. Some stores seem OK with it and even offer discount before asking whereas others are not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    Stock in most shops is good but not as good as say Singapore. Discounting is also less prevalent. Some stores seem OK with it and even offer discount before asking whereas others are not.
    I live in Singapore. While you might be right about new watches (of which Signapore has a ton), Tokyo's secondhand market is second to none.

In particular, you have to visit Jack Road. Great shop, awesome stock, and there's a few others nearby which are awesome too.

Was very tempted by a Glashutte Panoreserve for just under 4k (GBP), but unfortunately couldn't at the time.

Master
    I discovered this post when I did a search myself, even though I have never been:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=225128

And also worth looking at the new Seiko Premium Boutique:

http://www.watchprosite.com/?page=wf...403&pi=7078453

Have fun!

Ok thanks for letting us know.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    I live in Singapore. While you might be right about new watches (of which Signapore has a ton), Tokyo's secondhand market is second to none.

In particular, you have to visit Jack Road. Great shop, awesome stock, and there's a few others nearby which are awesome too.

Was very tempted by a Glashutte Panoreserve for just under 4k (GBP), but unfortunately couldn't at the time.
    Looked in quite a few secondhand watch shops but not Jack Road. The problem is that from what i have seen second watches are more expensive in Tokyo than in the UK. For example a Rolex 5513 early model was £10,000+whilst an early model 1675 was £11,000+ . Both would have been less in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Sounds like Benidorm minus the green tea
    Haha, no not at all, there is so much more to the country than this. Loved the people, their work ethic, the transport system, the food. Many great experiences to be had, you will love it OP.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    I discovered this post when I did a search myself, even though I have never been:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=225128
    Useful post that one. I forget sometimes how many riches are always on display here. It does dull my enthusiasm for the 'After 2 years I got the call!' ( for some watch you can buy here immediately anywhere ) or 'it's an old Rolex with lume to die for' ( ditto ). As one poster in that thread observed :

It is a bit amusing really, we're all so happy with our Rolex watches, even the vintage ones, however the truth is that there are millions of them out there, hardly any rare birds.
    As noted by many, Jackroad ( http://www.jackroad.co.jp if you want to take a look from afar ) is good but very much on the map these days. Yen is low so many tourists. Stock moves fast. There are so many similar shops though, all over Tokyo. It's too hard to give a list but also try :

Housekihiroba ( "Place of Jewels" ) http://housekihiroba.jp in Shibuya
    Komehyo ( Pawn shop, branches all over ) http://komehyo.jp/disp/CSfCategoryTop.jsp?dispNo=001003
    Quark ( Branches all over, mainly new and used Rolex ) http://909.co.jp
    Satin Doll ( a few branches, mainly new and used Rolex ) http://www.satindollweb.com/
    Many thousands of independent pawn shops, just have a look or search Rakuten ( rakuten.co.jp )

And of course Bic Camera and Yodobashi Camera ( massive electronics shops, branches all over but try Yurakacho Bic Camera and Akihabara Yodobashi Camera ). Only new models but everything there from G-shock to AP and you can try on what you like.

For new purchases, as mentioned, take your passport to save the sales tax ( 8% at the moment ). It's not Hong Kong so don't expect haggling to work but if you've seen it cheaper ( in Japan ) elsewhere, mention it politely and you may get a price match. It's all about service in Japan, not really price.

The yen has collapsed but this is reflected in new and used watches prices rising ( as per the UK as the pound sank ) recently. What was JPY 1 million a year ago will now be JPY 1.3 million, but you may still find some bargains in sterling terms. Note that every shop I've mentioned and mostly all the shops you see in Japan are not "authorised dealers". The concept means not a whole lot here ( though they do exist ) as the contract is always with your seller, the shop, and excellent service ( including warranty ) is expected by default, not only as part of an AD experience. Satin Doll and Quark, for example, often include 5, 10 or even more years of servicing in their still-discounted price. The ADs, who don't discount, are usually somewhat empty, for reasons that I hope are now obvious.

If you do want an AD, go to any of the large department stores. There is often a floor of watches. Try Isetan ( Shinjuku ) or Mitsukoshi ( Nihombashi ) but any other you see will be worth a visit too. You'll get the same excellent experience you would get anywhere else, including the tiniest pawn shop, but the warranty will be with the manufacturer, not the shop - worth considering if you don't live here.

Paul

Wow your very lucky indeedy .. enjoy ....

I would purchase a load of Rugby World Cup memorabilia and take it to Japan .. I'm sure you would get a great deal of interest and swaps !!

Master
    Awesome so jealous!!! I wanna go back too!! Most places have already been mentioned, but in terms of food you have to try these places:

Tempura: http://www.four-seeds.co.jp/brand/tenasa/ => Never ate a better tempura, this is the REAL DEAL!

Shabu Shabu => http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur...ure_Kanto.html

Have fun!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the tips. Having a great time. Been to Miyamjina Island to day , Kyoto tomorrow.

Had a look at a load of Grand Seikos the other day, feel I should buy one but I haven't done my home work so don't know really what I am looking at ...

IMHO the Grand Seiko models to buy in Japan are :
    Snowflake SBGA011 which retails at 600,000 Yen tax free = £3286 at todays exchange rate UK RRP is £5000
    Titanium Divers model SBGA031 which retails at 720,000 Yen tax free = £3943 at current exchange rate. UK RRP is £6000.
    I went the SBGA031 route but very nearly bought the Snowflake model too.
    I also looked at a few of the Limited Edition Grand Seiko models but none of them stood out as much as the two above.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I assume you have to add 20% vat to that on return.

Craftsman
    I assume you have to add 20% vat to that on return.
    Correct. But, still a significant saving in UK RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Lucky you. I worked there back in the 90's for Honda, amazing place.

Wasn't into watches back then but a definite +1 for the women.

I'd love to go back one day...
    I was watching Racing at weekend and noticed the girl (on the right) on podium at Moto GP Motegi presenting the prizes on TV.....she was absolute perfection ...stunning and elegant ...I of course have no chance with anyone like her but still......

I am soooo jealous of anyone going there....... Enjoy your stay :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just seen a Rolex Sub for 766800 JPY in the Rolex dealership in Kyoto.

I assume you'd knock off 8% sales tax and add 20% on import.

Making it about £4800 landed in th uk.

+1,000,000