closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking for Advice Regarding Omega Service UK

Master

Seeking for Advice Regarding Omega Service UK

Hi Everyone, since I've joined here last August I have enjoyed reading and also sharing some information and learning a lot about watches but still my knowledge is pretty basic. I am writing this to ask Everyone's opinion if I'm just too picky or should I demand about this matter to be resolve. Basically what happened was last August I sent my Omega SMP GMT 2234.50 to Swatchgroup Southampton for a full service. They had the watch from Aug. 3 til Sept. 7 and when I got it back, It came in immaculate condition but after a thorough inspection there was some issues that needs fixing. They fitted a Unidirectional click spring instead of a Bidirectional and there was a small black or dust particle that was left inside the dial at the top side of the 10 hour Mark. It was very visible to the naked eye so I've ask them to clear that off for Me since it wasn't there before when I sent my watch. And since they will open the watch again I've just decided to replaced the AR Crystal since there was a very tiny mark or chip on top of the 9 o'clock marker. So the watch went back to them, they acknowledge my complaints and proceeded with the repair. I paid for the AR Crystal and they had the watch for about 3 weeks and just this morning the watch was delivered after completing the payment last Friday. I was very excited and at the same time nervous. First thing I check was the Bezel and Yes, it is now turning both ways. Then I had a good look at the lens and it is indeed perfect as You would expect from a new AR Crystal but then here's the problem. The black particle was gone but it looks like they wipe it off which leave the 10 hour marker a darker shades on that part. I was hoping that they can just blow it off with some mild air or suction with some vacuum to clear it off. People might not noticed the issue but since I'm aware of this. Every time I look at the watch I can easily noticed the imperfection. I tried to take a pictures for You Guys to have a look and give Your honest advice on what is best to do. Should I complaint about this or just live with it... Thank You in advance...

My Camera cannot do any better but if You try to look at the 10 hour Lume Marker top side You can see a bit of darker shades, The Lume was also affected because of this...

Blog Entries
    Sorry - but can't see the 10h marker diff on my phone - but if you're not satisfied your should get it repaired at their cost. Maybe a call to the service manager would help.

martyn

One of mine has just had to go back twice to sort a date change issue under warrenty.

Eventually got it back sorted properly this week after it going in first time early July.

My advice is persevere with them. You'll get there in the end but don't expect them to bend over backwards, I think they're stacked out at the moment.

Master
    What is the possible solution for this? Re Lume or dial replacement? Since the marker was tainted a little bit, I'm not sure what is the best option of repair? Thanks Martyn and Timeout...

Manny
    Last edited by mjoranga; 6th October 2015 at 06:35.

^^^^

I can just about make out the darkened area in the last picture in your OP.

They'll just stick a replacement dial on it I would have thought. That's upto them and I wouldn't personally be giving them advice or discussing the repair methods, just make sure you let them know it needs putting right and you're not happy with it.

Master
    Your advice is very helpful Mate... I just don't want to look stupid and very picky... Glad You can tell the Difference... I wish I had a better camera, only using my S5...

Manny

Master
    I'm guessing the dark spot was attached to the lume (an oil or grease mark maybe?) and to remove it they've had to remove a small amount of lume. Not acceptable in my opinion.

I would contact Swatch and explain the situation, and how you would like it to be resolved - a new dial at their cost would seem appropriate. Unfortunately this kind of thing happens all the time, and not just with watches.

Complain.

You shouldn't have to justify it but I would also try and borrow a camera with macro mode and shoot some close ups outside in the sun.

It sticks out like a sore thumb and I'd be spotting that every time I looked at the watch too! I think they need to replace the dial. They wouldn't be able to replace the lume without that looking odd.

I learnt my lesson a while ago with Omega's service department, I now only go to STS or Duncan Potter to service my Omegas.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Guess I am getting old as I cannot see much difference from your photos and it wouldn't really worry me unless it's much more obvious in real life.

Having said that, if you perceive that there is an issue I'm sure OSC will sort it out for you. I've had nothing except exemplary service from them of late and have every confidence in them.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 6th October 2015 at 11:14.

Master
    Thanks Guys for all your advice... I will try to borrow a macro cam so I can show it better... It's visible to Your naked eye if You still have a normal close eye sight and the lume at night was slightly off due to the darker shades...

yeah I can see it , its like a wee patch is missing , ship it back under warranty let them sort it out is my advice .

would probably stand out a mile if you stared at it day in day out and drive me mad .
    Last edited by alanski; 6th October 2015 at 14:49.

Master
    Thanks alanski... that is exactly my concern, it will definitely drive me mad knowing there's imperfection with the dial due to their own faults...

OSC will provide a reasonable response and will want to solve it for you. My only concern is your having to use a macro lens with a strong magnification to point out the issue. Is that the quality standard of Omega... Not sure, but I understand they take pictures of every watch so they will know if it was them or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammt79 View Post
    OSC will provide a reasonable response and will want to solve it for you. My only concern is your having to use a macro lens with a strong magnification to point out the issue. Is that the quality standard of Omega... Not sure, but I understand they take pictures of every watch so they will know if it was them or not.
    It was definitely them as when the watch was first sent to them there wasn't any black particle inside reason why I've ask to clear it off. The problem is after clearing it off I think by wiping the black particle it somehow spread it on the side of the Lume making it worst and now it also affects the brightness of Luminous Marker when You look at it in the dark...

Master
    I've ordered Camkix from Amazon and hope that will help Me capture the issue properly. Failing that, My Friend got an DSLR with Macro Lens and will do it for Me on His day off which will happen only this coming Sunday...

Speaking as a 2254 owner, the lume finish on these dials is unique. Looks to have been injection moulded.

New dials are $169 from Ofrei so pennies for Omega you would think.

They'll sort it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    That's why you bought a luxury watch, because you have an eye for detail and appreciate perfection. They need to put it right. A new dial is small change for the Swatch Group! Good luck
    X2

You've already demonstrated that you've an eye for detail when asking them to remove the original mark, which they've now made worse. You've also paid for a new Crystal. Did they highlight that the Crystal had a problem, or did you decide to have it because you wanted the watch in A1, Tip Top condition?

Another point to consider is your postage back to them is now going to be considerably more, always assuming you've sent in RMSD with the additional insurance to reflect its value. So you'll have paid for at least three deliveries instead of one.

Perhaps you should be asking for a goodwill gesture, either discount on the next service or an extra years worth of warranty (get it in writing)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    X2

Another point to consider is your postage back to them is now going to be considerably more, always assuming you've sent in RMSD with the additional insurance to reflect its value. So you'll have paid for at least three deliveries instead of one.

Perhaps you should be asking for a goodwill gesture, either discount on the next service or an extra years worth of warranty (get it in writing)

Cheers
    I agree with you but Omegas policy when sending a watch back like this is to send you one of their pre paid shipping packs.

I've ended up with 3 red Omega pouches and card board boxes from when mine kept going back.

It's RMSD £2500 when you send it in, and another courier company who's name I won't give here, on the way back.
    Last edited by TimeOut; 6th October 2015 at 21:31.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    Speaking as a 2254 owner, the lume finish on these dials is unique. Looks to have been injection moulded.

New dials are $169 from Ofrei so pennies for Omega you would think.

That is True Mate and looking at my 10 hour Marker it looks like dented on the darker area... I just can't wait to get a Macro shots so I can share it Here. Will give them a call tomorrow to tell them that I'm not happy with the way they fix it..

They'll sort it.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    That's why you bought a luxury watch, because you have an eye for detail and appreciate perfection. They need to put it right. A new dial is small change for the Swatch Group! Good luck
    Precisely, and paying for a £352 service isn't cheap...

Thank You Guys for all Your input and advice...

Master
    I agree with you but Omegas policy when sending a watch back like this is to send you one of their pre paid shipping packs.

I've ended up with 3 red Omega pouches and card board boxes from when mine kept going back.

It's RMSD £2500 when you send it in, and another courier company who's name I won't give here, on the way back.
    Ah, I see. That's good then. I've not needed to send my PO in for service yet.

Only ever dealt with Breitling who use RMSD. Although I've an old Seamaster with Swiss Time Services now.

Thanks.
    Last edited by NigeG; 6th October 2015 at 21:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    X2

You've already demonstrated that you've an eye for detail when asking them to remove the original mark, which they've now made worse. You've also paid for a new Crystal. Did they highlight that the Crystal had a problem, or did you decide to have it because you wanted the watch in A1, Tip Top condition?

Cheers
    The 2nd time I've sent the watch the postage was Free as they sent me a Prepaid pack fully insured and send it back to me by their courier choice which will take the front door of Your House capturing the house no. to make it sure that it was delivered to the right address. There was a very tiny mark on the crystal if You look at it closely so since they will open the watch again, I've just decided to have it replace to have a perfect Crystal...

Here's another photo trying to capture the dented Lume...

Master
    TimeOut You got a nice moded SMP 2254 there... That's my next plan to get... A friend of mine got a 2254 and it is just a matter of time before He sell it to Me...

Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    TimeOut You got a nice moded SMP 2254 there... That's my next plan to get... A friend of mine got a 2254 and it is just a matter of time before He sell it to Me...
    Sorry this is my actual 2254, didn't have the watch with me or a dial close up so found the pic of the modded one to explain what I meant about the lume.

Snapped this with an Iphone 6 a couple of days ago when I got my PO back from Omega.

It's all about natural light and positioning of the watch in relation to the light.

Master
    Lucky for You to have 2254.50 TimeOut. Just rang OSC and they'll have to send a prepaid pack again... Hopefully they'll fix it this time as it's a pain to wait and only to find out it wasn't done properly.

Craftsman
    I'll echo the above, be picky, it's an expensive watch and the service wasn't exactly cheap. If you were prepared to put up with imperfections you'd buy a cheap watch...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesy B View Post
    I'll echo the above, be picky, it's an expensive watch and the service wasn't exactly cheap. If you were prepared to put up with imperfections you'd buy a cheap watch...
    I'm just hoping they will do it without hesitation as I don't like to argue.

Banned
    Get a new dial, and have the hands fixed at the same time. Looks like the hour hand needs to be nudged a little forwards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Get a new dial, and have the hands fixed at the same time. Looks like the hour hand needs to be nudged a little forwards.
    Oh Dear... well spotted Mate... just say I'm not paying attention to details... Will send them email with Pictures when I got my Macro lens... Thanks a lot.

Master

Macro shots by Camkix attach to S5

Tried this cheap lens from Amazon hoping that it will make a difference from previous photos...

Good pics!

The lume looks absolutely dreadful, I'd be upset too.

They'll sort it 😎

Master
    Good pics!

The lume looks absolutely dreadful, I'd be upset too.

They'll sort it 
    Tried my very best Mate but some other angle it doesn't show... At least now it is visible and is very much visible to my naked eye...

Master
    Can't see a thing to be honest....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Can't see a thing to be honest....

concentrate on the 10 hour Lume Marker Mate, Top side.... it is the one under the no. 20 of the Bezel...

Master
    I see minor discolouring, but that could just be reflection.

I think you just need to get the watch back to Swatch UK ASAP if you're not happy.

Master
    I see minor discolouring, but that could just be reflection.

I think you just need to get the watch back to Swatch UK ASAP if you're not happy.
    Camera is not showing what You can see in the naked Eye... It is worst than that, I tried to live with it reason why I ask for advices here...

Master
    That's the problem - if the camera can't show it we can't see it.

Just get it sent off to Swatch again

Master
    That's the problem - if the camera can't show it we can't see it.

Just get it sent off to Swatch again
    It's going Mate... just waiting for the prepaid pack so I can send it back... I'm please enough that others can tell the difference even just by a basic S5 cam and S5 cam with Camkix...

Can't really see it but if it bothers you, as others said send it back.

Stands out like a sore thumb imho.

The classic, once you know it is there you can't see anything else but the mark. Hope you get it sorted quickly

Master
    Thank You everyone for all Your advices... It will go back as soon as the Prepaid pack comes... Will keep an update with the progress... Fingers cross they'll do what's best for the watch and makes it back into A1 condition.

Master
    Got the Prepaid pack from Omega Southampton so watch is going tomorrow... Who knows how many weeks it will take again...

Master
    I have also mentioned this as after the first full service the bracelet was looking great but after the 2nd service I got this.

And the Hour hand that needs adjusting, I think even the minute and GMT hands...

Watch was posted yesterday and will find out what they will say about it... Fingers cross...

Master
    Watch is now with them and according to the Online information they have ordered and waiting for parts. Though it's not stated what parts it is...

Craftsman
    My AT is in Southampton as we speak and having read this thread I am becoming a little worried. It is only in because the crown had become very stiff to wind so I am thinking there will be no need for anyone to get their grubby mitts on the dial. Good luck with your getting sorted.

Master
    Things like this can happen sometimes and it's up to Us maybe to just demand for perfection since We pay for their asking price and expect the best from them being a true Omega Repair Center.

Craftsman
    That is very annoying. I raised a complaint via the form on the Omega site and the watch will be passed to the representative that's been dealing with me to check before it's sent back. Might be worth complaining just to 'break out' of the service procedure and make someone aware of your grievances. I'm glad it's just the bezel they need to play about with, if it came back with fingerprints and imperfections I'd probably blow my lid.
    Last edited by Janesy B; 15th October 2015 at 09:49.

Master
    I just don't understand how they're checking the QC as the issue can be seen with a naked eye so definitely a loupe lens can spotted it easily... Are they just taking their chances if a Customer will not complaint about it?

Grand Master
    Just re-read this thread; too busy to comment till now.

The mark on the lume is noticeable only if you know it's there. Clearly, it picked up some contamination during service and the efforts to clean it have left the lume very slightly discoloured in one spot. If I`d done this I would've attempted to get the whole of the lume at 10 looking the same.......there care ways and means. If it was uniformly slightly dark it wouldn`t show. I guess the folks at Omega Service Centre took the view that most people would be happy with it as they've sent it out and they're probably right.

The misalignment of the hands is slight (approx. 1 minute but nonetheless it's there). For the benefit of those who've commented, this is corrected by adjusting the minute hand NOT the hour hand!. When a handset is fitted the hour hand is synchronised with the date change and pressed home, followed by the minute hand (which has to be synchronised to the hr hand exactly). Errors in the dial symmetry can cause slight misalignment at different points, but on a quality watch this is so slight it's hardly noticeable; I find checking alignment at 6 0 clock is the easiest way to spot errors. All things being equal the date will change at almost exactly 12 and the hr and min hand will be aligned exactly right. None of this is rocket science but it takes some care to get it right.

As for the refinishing, it all depends how deep the marks were. Sometimes it isn`t feasible to remove sufficient metal to completely eradicate damage and a small pi or pock-mark remains. It's unrealistic to expect a watch to come back like new if it had significantly deep dings in it. Refinishing is exactly that, it isn`t a miracle process that makes a battered watch look new again. However, it all comes down to how much time and care is taken by the refinisher to get the best compromise.

Overall, I think the OP's got a good case with the dial blemish. The mark has resulted from their error. The hands need refitting and possibly the refinishing could be better. Omega charge a lot for what they do and they should get it right first time IMO.

Paul