closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Volvo main dealer has crashed my wife's XC60!

The Volvo main dealer has crashed my wife's XC60!

This is a sad tale. My wife has wanted a Volvo XC60 for a long as I can remember. They came onto the Motability scheme recently and she applied for one and received it last week. It is beautiful. However, one of the wind screen wipers needed adjusting and the garage (a Volvo dealer) came to pick up the car this morning. On driving the car back to the dealership, the driver had a crash resulting in the rear bumper being badly damaged, the rear near side wheel arch being dented and the rear passenger door dented too. Quite a mess.

We got a phone call this afternoon to describe all this and the car was returned damaged later this afternoon with promises to get all the damage fixed ASAP.

However, apart from my wife being devastated by the state of the car, I'm also worried about the damage/repair and the possible future of the car. it is unlikely my wife would keep it more than 3 years on the scheme but you never know.

Just wondering what we can expect from the garage moving forwards and implications for the future of the vehicle now it will have an accident history. Any experiences of this kind of thing and advice would be much appreciated.

How old is it?

Have you spoken to Motability about it?

I'd be very tempted to ask for a new vehicle.

It is less than 10 days old!

Master
    If it's on Motability will you not just be handing it back after the specified period anyway?

not a nice thing to happen but more important is how it is dealt with

they should take vehicle back and repair under their insurance or own expense and whilst it is being repaired lend you a similar vehicle

notes regarding Motability

1. You cannot keep it beyond its contracted term of 3 years - it is the property of Motability you have paid an 'initial rental' and your PIP allowance pays the rental and maintenance / insurance
    2. The damage being minor to moderate will not be recorded on H.P.I. database and being 100% honest it is irrelevant to you as car is returned to Motability at end of contract as it is a rental vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    If it's on Motability will you not just be handing it back after the specified period anyway?
    Yes, although there is an option to buy the car and clearly that option would not be the same or as attractive given what has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    not a nice thing to happen but more important is how it is dealt with

they should take vehicle back and repair under their insurance or own expense and whilst it is being repaired lend you a similar vehicle

1. You cannot keep it beyond its contracted term of 3 years - it is the property of Motability you have paid an 'initial rental' and your PIP allowance pays the rental and maintenance / insurance
    2. The damage being minor to moderate will not be recorded on H.P.I. database and being 100% honest it is irrelevant to you as car is returned to Motability at end of contract as it is a rental vehicle.
    That's good to know. The garage have said that the repair will be expedited quickly (let's hope it is) and, as you say, a similar vehicle will be loaned.

Wasn't too impressed with the way the news was delivered to us though. On the phone, and phrases like 'it can happened to anyone' and 'it was a 50/50 incident' and 'the repair will have to wait until the insurance situation has been resolved' were not appreciated.

Master
    I wouldn't be too worried, although I'd be tee'd off too, but it'll come back as good as new I'm sure.

Blog Entries
    i would speak to motability, my aunty has a car through them they are very good.

The dealer will no doubt have full Volvo bodyshop and paint facilities, don't worry, its unfortunate but these things can happen at anytime, and it will have no detrimental effect to the car.

Why on earth did they return it to you damaged?.

I have worked in the motor trade for 12 years and value cars on a regular basis. As long as the damage is repaired correctly it will not affect the future value.

Also, You do have a potential option to buy the car at the end of the agreement but the price isn't always attractive.

I can appreciate you would be upset with it being damaged but it can happen and I would say it's a good thing the dealership has been honest and not played it down. As long as they deal with it professionally, keeping you informed, loaning you a car etc.
    Hope it resolves quickly for you.

Ive got this image in my head of them returning a damaged car to you, but with a fixed wiper.

Please tell me im wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Why on earth did they return it to you damaged?.
    That was my thought.

Take their XC90 demonstrator until you do not have a damaged car on the drive.

That'll focus the managers mind.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    That was my thought.

Take their XC90 demonstrator until you do not have a damaged car on the drive.

That'll focus the managers mind.
    Good shout!

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The dealer will no doubt have full Volvo bodyshop and paint facilities.
    Nah, everything is subbed out these days, although to Volvos standards to maintain the paint warranty.

When my neighbour backed into my door of my V70 I had to have a new one. It was an insurance job and I insisted on Volvo.

First paint job and you could see some white primer at the base of the door. Sent it back.

Second paint job had a small run it. Sent it back.

Third paint job had a massive run in it. Sent it back.

The fourth paint job Volvo promised to inspect prior to release and it was OK. It also came back with new front tyre so don't know what happened there.

Obvious that Volvo dealership (Squire Furneaux, Hersham btw) had not even bothered to check their subbies work on the first 3 respects.

Oh, and the Volvo dealership service before that the guy who picked the car up from my work location tw@tted the alloy into a kerb. No apologies, just delivered back to me as if nothing had happened. They sorted it without any quibble, but quite rightly as there was nothing to quibble about. I'm sure they were just trying to get away with it.

Master
    It's 10 days old FFS, insist on a new one. Copy all correspondence to the Chief Exec of Volvo UK. Especially in light of the poor way it was initially handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Picasso View Post
    Ive got this image in my head of them returning a damaged car to you, but with a fixed wiper.

Please tell me im wrong?
    Sadly not. I'll be on the phone to the MD tomorrow to sort this out. I appreciate accidents can happen but I didn't expect this car back in the state it was in.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Sadly not. I'll be on the phone to the MD tomorrow to sort this out. I appreciate accidents can happen but I didn't expect this car back in the state it was in.
    I am totally confused why on earth they did this - I would have expected an equivalent (or better) freebie until it was fixed and a bunch of flowers for the Mrs as a minimum.

What utter crap customer service!.

Sorry to hear this, it would totally spoil it for me.

I'd always be looking for flaws on the repairs; can they ever match spray jobs 100% ?

Any pictures ??

Push for a new car, especially if you ever think of taking the option of buying it after the 3 years.

Good luck !! Hope it all works out well in your favour !

Craftsman
    Tell the neighbours it's a prototype

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    It's 10 days old FFS, insist on a new one. Copy all correspondence to the Chief Exec of Volvo UK. Especially in light of the poor way it was initially handled.
    It really has nothing to do with the manufacturer has it?
    The dealer is fully responsible for the car whilst in their care, the dealer is showing a poor lack of judgement, suggest to the dealer that they take the car away, loan you a car until your car is returned fully repaired, and remind the dealer that stories like this are always interesting to local newspapers.

Blog Entries
    It is not your car it is a hire car owned by Motability and leased to you or the person in receipt of disability payments by them so I would be onto Motability and the the person in the dealership who takes care of that department but the dealership could and should of handled the initial return of the car and any ongoing repairs or loaners far better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    It really has nothing to do with the manufacturer has it?
    The dealer is fully responsible for the car whilst in their care, the dealer is showing a poor lack of judgement, suggest to the dealer that they take the car away, loan you a car until your car is returned fully repaired, and remind the dealer that stories like this are always interesting to local newspapers.

But the dealers are a large part of the public face of the manufacturer. VUK will care deeply about any adverse publicity or poor customer service (or should).

Master
    Could be worse, Nissan main dealer crashed South Africa.

i wonder if the manager of the main dealer is consciously or unconsciously prejudiced because the car is funded through the Motability scheme and so he is providing a lesser standard of customer service than he would surely ever give a "paying customer". I'd be on the phone to the Daily Mail- they'll send someone round like a shot to photograph the damage and your and your wife's glum faces, and to record valuable information like the value of your house.

Master
    I'd be asking why the hell they were driving my car in the first place. Test drive? For wipers? Doubt it.

More than likely someone nipping up to the shop in it for a bacon bap... i wouldn't be happy at all.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    I'd be asking why the hell they were driving my car in the first place. Test drive? For wipers? Doubt it.

More than likely someone nipping up to the shop in it for a bacon bap... i wouldn't be happy at all.
    From the first post, they picked the car up for repair. This was decent service in the first place as they could have asked for it to be left in.

Any idea what they hit exactly? If it was a 3rd party then there'll be an insurance issue. If it was just your car damaged and they repair it, it will never be recorded on an insurance database. This won't have any impact on value.

Master
    As gunman has said if the garage repair it then it won't go through the insurance so no hit on the resale value, if Motability get involved then they may well record it on there database which they often give people a copy of service work, repairs etc if requested once the car has been sold on via the auctions, but if it goes down that route it won't effect you either.

Most main dealers like Motability as it is good for business so I'm sure they will do all they can to keep you and Motability happy.
    I doubt they will give you a new car as it's not your car but belongs to Motability, I have seen it with another lease company a couple of month old car spending over 8 months in a garage being repaired and a hire car provided rather than repairing the car on a £80k car, when I used to work in the leasing industry.

Thanks for all the advice. Motability have been great and I'm waiting for a call from the General Manager at the Volvo dealership. I'm confident they will sort this out although the early signs have not been great so far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    i wonder if the manager of the main dealer is consciously or unconsciously prejudiced because the car is funded through the Motability scheme and so he is providing a lesser standard of customer service than he would surely ever give a "paying customer". I'd be on the phone to the Daily Mail- they'll send someone round like a shot to photograph the damage and your and your wife's glum faces, and to record valuable information like the value of your house.
    What absolute tosh. This is an example what's wrong with this bleeding country. Phone the Daily Mail? Really?

I've had a very good conversation with the general manager today and he has been excellent. A replacement car is being sent out tomorrow and all repairs will be done in their own bodyshop as soon as possible. He was extremely apologetic about the lack of empathy shown and agreed that the car should not have been returned in the state it was in.

Motability were also very helpful. They are not worried about the future value as they have 100% confidence in the quality of the repair process.

So, fingers crossed, all will be well and the repair will be up to the right standard. Thanks for all the advice. SWMBO is happy now and that's the main thing.

Master

Not strictly true, my father has just exchanged his for a new one after 5 years and was paid £250 after the 3rd year to keep it!

Craftsman
    I'd inspect the car very well after any repairs, my last car was repaired under warranty in an approved Volvo/Ford/Mazda spray shop and the paintwork was done to a terrible standard! As you'd expect, they had to spray it again, as I didn't accept it and drove away in the courtesy car...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    ...as they have 100% confidence in the quality of the repair process...
    They are clearly new to the motor trade!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    They are clearly new to the motor trade!
    It is their car not the OP's so the buck stops with them

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Not strictly true, my father has just exchanged his for a new one after 5 years and was paid £250 after the 3rd year to keep it!

well its a very unusual occurrence which only applies when a car has done 'nominal' miles i.e. under 15'000 in the 3 years and you have to apply to Motability for their approval to extend the lease (rental period) the £ 250 he was given would have been a 'good condition' bonus so he must look after them which is nice.!

I have been doing Motability supply since 1993 and my dealership does 180+ Motability units per year and its very rare anyone ever acquires their the old lease car 99.99% opt for a shiny new one and why wouldn't you ?

glad GM of site has taken charge of resolving the issue and sure it will be all good in the end.

Master
    well its a very unusual occurrence which only applies when a car has done 'nominal' miles i.e. under 15'000 in the 3 years and you have to apply to Motability for their approval to extend the lease (rental period) the £ 250 he was given would have been a 'good condition' bonus so he must look after them which is nice.!

I have been doing Motability supply since 1993 and my dealership does 180+ Motability units per year and its very rare anyone ever acquires their the old lease car 99.99% opt for a shiny new one and why wouldn't you ?

glad GM of site has taken charge of resolving the issue and sure it will be all good in the end.
    When he put it in which was only last week he had managed just over 5000 miles in 5 years, the car in question was a 60 plate Fiesta Zetec which although in very good condition had picked up a few battle scars on the front bumper acquired during the entry into his driveway!

What absolute tosh. This is an example what's wrong with this bleeding country. Phone the Daily Mail? Really?
    No, not really. It looks as if my irony was too subtle there.

It's not your car, so as long as Volvo dealer repair it to Volvo repair standards...not really your concern.
    Shouldn't worry really. If i owned it and that happened..it'd be a different kettle of fish completely! I'd expect all sorts :-)

I've had some experience with Motability - who are excellent, and always helpful by the way - but I have on occasion been shocked with the lack of customer service from dealerships who genuinely treat Motability customers as a grubby inconvenience. Sad, but true. As an aside, you can buy the car at the end of the agreement, which might be worth it if you've had the car from new and know its history - but don't expect any deals , look up the value in Parker's or glass's guide and that's what they will want for the car with no haggling. Which is fair enough I guess, but worth knowing. Imho it is great having a car you don't have to worry about, if I was the OP I'd be annoyed but relieved the Volvo isn't 'yours' - a prang can happen to any car at any time so just get it fixed and enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    but don't expect any deals , look up the value in Parker's or glass's guide and that's what they will want for the car with no haggling.
    Which price though? Dealer, private or trade?

It should be the latter as most of the cars they own go to auction I believe. If so, that is a 'deal' as most people are paying the much higher private or dealer prices.

So if you get a car at a trade price with known history (because you drove it for the last 3 years) then you are into a winner.

The repair is well on the way. Replacement car is great. Our car should be back end of next week. Good service from Volvo. Fingers crossed for a good final result.

Just to close this thread, a quick update.

The car was returned yesterday from the main Volvo body shop and it looks like new. Great job on their part. Excellent customer service too following a shaky start. Everyone happy and karma restored to the household.

Have a good weekend one and all!

Pleased to hear its sorted, enjoy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I've had some experience with Motability - who are excellent, and always helpful by the way - but I have on occasion been shocked with the lack of customer service from dealerships who genuinely treat Motability customers as a grubby inconvenience. Sad, but true.
    Not disagreeing at all with the above but some Motability customers don't help themselves. A certain member of my in-laws has a Motability car. She turns up for doctors appts, etc using two sticks but never even uses one at any other time. Can go shopping for hours no trouble. The car is always filthy and inside is full of rubbish, takeaway cartons etc. Amazed they can find the pedals there is so much crap. Added to that she is obnoxious, always complaining etc. Bet the garage love her when they see her appear on the horizon, and she will be seen as she casts a large shadow.
    sorry don't know why I wrote this. Glad to hear the OP got it all resolved and his wife is happy with the outcome. Makes life so much easier.