closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical one watch for the rest of your life.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I am currently of the view that it would be Eddies PRS29a for me

Nice choice, I'd pick something quite similar: Stowa Flieger

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post

If its bought for me I'd go with Jonasy's choice. If I'm buyng I'll go with my 42mm planet Ocean as the its the one I from my collection that I wear the most

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I am currently of the view that it would be Eddies PRS29a for me

I've had a hankering for one of these for a while. Might have to bite the bullet.

If I'm only going to live until my watch expires then I want a one with a F---ing big battery.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    If I'm only going to live until my watch expires then I want a one with a F---ing big battery.
    Solar might be a better move!

Master
    I'm amazed actually it's not yet been mentioned, but my first thought (without starting to go down the rabbit hole of thinking too much about it after) is the veritable Speedmaster Pro.

Sadly I probably will never be able to justify (to myself or SWIMBO) buying one but I can dream! :)

I am surprised about the large numbers of people saying Rolex, but I suppose that's a testament to the brand and quality (as well as diversity of their range)!

Craftsman
    http://truetimetools.files.wordpress...d-5800-021.jpg

I could happily ware this for the rest of my life..

If its for the rest of my life I'm going to have to grow into it, right?

I'd be tempted to go for something like a SD4000 or a Sub.

But a 5711 or 5980 would be a seriously tempting choice

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It sounds like a grand idea, but with all the flippin that goes on around here do people really expect to keep hold of the same watch for the next 30 to 50 years. Answering the question today, I am in the Sea-dweller camp with a lot of others and I don't think age is an issue, my dad died this year aged 83 and was just short of 6 foot tall and hadn't turned into Mr Burns. He still looked good in the same watch that he had worn since his mid 50s. I agree with comment below, full sleeve colour tattoos will be more of an issue than your watch.
    I expect to keep my Omega for the rest of my life, would be annoyed if it wasn't on my wrist in 30 years time

I did buy a Panerai with the hope it would be my retirement years watch but it is too big on me (8" wrist, sadly). That said my dad (85) is very happy with a PRS20 - the non screw down crown works well for him.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    Some interesting options in here.

Surprising how many people, even when all barriers (cost, servicing etc) would still go with a Rolex.
    Having bought a date just 36mm oyster bracelet and silver batons - gotta say it's all the watch I'll ever need. It's beautiful, robust, keeps excellent time, visually compelling, can be worn with black tie or shorts...it's a joy!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Purely and simply my favourite watch, ever!!!

For over ten years I wore one single watch.

I went to work with it. I bought my first house with it. I got married with it. I swam with it. I bashed fence posts (okay, not actually) with it. I've attended gala dinners with it and I've moshed it up with the best of them at a music festival with it. I was wearing it when my wife gave birth. I was wearing it when I buried people I loved. I told my wife I would be buried with it....however that now seems a little selfish!

Rain, shine, snow. Up's, downs and sideways movements in life it was a constant.

Rolex Submariner

...not actually now my only watch. This forum has a lot to answer for...however the one that 'should' I have to fire sale the rest, this would be the very very very last material item I own to go.

Quote Originally Posted by the.admiral View Post
    For over ten years I wore one single watch.

I went to work with it. I bought my first house with it. I got married with it. I swam with it. I bashed fence posts (okay, not actually) with it. I've attended gala dinners with it and I've moshed it up with the best of them at a music festival with it. I was wearing it when my wife gave birth. I was wearing it when I buried people I loved. I told my wife I would be buried with it....however that now seems a little selfish!

Rain, shine, snow. Up's, downs and sideways movements in life it was a constant.

Rolex Submariner

...not actually now my only watch. This forum has a lot to answer for...however the one that 'should' I have to fire sale the rest, this would be the very very very last material item I own to go.
    That's awesome.

That's how watches are supposed to work.

Everything we get up to on here is a sickness.

Then again, men do the same thing with women. Everyone wants to find "the one", but most of us spend our whole lives dreaming about the next one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Having bought a date just 36mm oyster bracelet and silver batons - gotta say it's all the watch I'll ever need. It's beautiful, robust, keeps excellent time, visually compelling, can be worn with black tie or shorts...it's a joy!
    Post a picture, sounds like the one I keep trying on, to replace my Sub.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    That's awesome.

That's how watches are supposed to work.

Everything we get up to on here is a sickness.

Then again, men do the same thing with women. Everyone wants to find "the one", but most of us spend our whole lives dreaming about the next one.
    An awesome reply, summing up men quite nicely

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Post a picture, sounds like the one I keep trying on, to replace my Sub.
    Here you go oiljam:

Much more versatile than a sub in my view. Can take just as much of a beating and the dial changes wonderfully in the sunlight from almost white to a lovely golden bronze colour at sunset. It's an absolute beauty... Timeless too... I bought it when I was under 40!

Is that the standard size DJ with the newer style bracelet? The Silver burst dials looks fantastic, I had an earlier versions on jubilee but one of the brothers kept asking why I was wearing a girls watch when I had it on - cheeky bugger!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I'm not giving away all my other watches for ANY single watch.

The last watch I would get rid off though, would probably be my SD 16600
    Agree 100%, but my last one would be Omega AT.

Here you go oiljam:

Much more versatile than a sub in my view. Can take just as much of a beating and the dial changes wonderfully in the sunlight from almost white to a lovely golden bronze colour at sunset. It's an absolute beauty... Timeless too... I bought it when I was under 40!
    Small for me but the dial is lovely!

Master
    Here you go oiljam:

That is really lovely.

I would be pretty happy with a 116520 :)

Here you go oiljam:

Beautiful watch ... I have the fluted jubilee version, but if the PCLs weren't so shiny I'd have that one.

Much more versatile but just as robust as a Sub.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Is that the standard size DJ with the newer style bracelet? The Silver burst dials looks fantastic, I had an earlier versions on jubilee but one of the brothers kept asking why I was wearing a girls watch when I had it on - cheeky bugger!
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Small for me but the dial is lovely!
    Ha ha - luckily I've got cocktail stick sized wrists and it fits me perfect. I'm very skinny. So whilst a Breitling Emergency at 51.00 mm!!!!!!! might wear a little large for me; this is great.... I find myself really lusting after a Blancpain FF so really not sure I can pull that off... Horses for courses!

16610LV

My favourite Rolex

The AP Diver, is something i'd 100% love and could do with nothing else BUT..

It would be better with a GMT on it....

Pic from the internet
    Last edited by ghosty; 8th November 2015 at 01:33.

DRSD or gold blue-dialed Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer.

Seiko SBGR001.
    It under promises and over delivers. Its satisfying crafted, never out of place and resilient. Its not perfect mind, but then neither am I.

Master
    Here you go oiljam:

That's exactly the variation I've been looking at, thanks for posting a picture. I agree about the dial changing in the light, it is very nice and for sure the colour dial I'd choose. The only problem I have with it are the PCLs, a bit too bling for me, I wish they'd drop that detail. Other than that it's perfect but it's not un-perched my sub quite yet.

Hypothetical one watch for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    The AP Diver, is something i'd 100% love and could do with nothing else BUT..

It would be better with a GMT on it....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eAZMZQV5ei...O+Diver+01.jpg

Pic from the internet
    Funnily enough I'm wearing mine now, but as a one-watch-only I'd pick a Patek 5164 (nicked from the web)

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Purely and simply my favourite watch, ever!!!

That's lovely

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    That's exactly the variation I've been looking at, thanks for posting a picture. I agree about the dial changing in the light, it is very nice and for sure the colour dial I'd choose. The only problem I have with it are the PCLs, a bit too bling for me, I wish they'd drop that detail. Other than that it's perfect but it's not un-perched my sub quite yet.
    Can always get the PCL brushed? Have seen a fair few people do this with their GMT's and is easily reversible too

Hypothetical question so a slightly off the wall fantasy answer, bare with me here! Rolex Explorer, however original design but 42mm (but not Explorer 2 design). That'd do me - How about it Rolex, fancy making my dream watch?

Re: bare with me here!

No nudity in WT!

Seiko SBGR061. Not my pic, as I'm not good with this, but I own it. It's a watch that's just that - a watch, not a statement.

Cheers,
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I have often considered turning my collection into 'one watch to rule them all' but it doesn't exist. Except hypothetically...
    I thought we'd already tried that. ;)

Patek 5070P's aside, and seeing that loads of you have gone for the 16600 or 16710, both are great choices. I'll go for something I've been really happy with, this IWC Doppelchronograph has been a great companion for the last 12 years or so, I'd happily carry on with it.

Last edited by Hackett.dp; 7th November 2015 at 21:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Evad3 View Post
    Can always get the PCL brushed? Have seen a fair few people do this with their GMT's and is easily reversible too
    Will Rolex repolish brushed PCLs at service?

Explorer 1016 making a significant showing.

I would go for the (better IMHO) homage :

^ Photo nicked from @Mr1973 off this thread : http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...s-MKII-Vantage

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Seiko SBGR061. It's a watch that's just that - a watch, not a statement.

Very Well Put.

Blog Entries
    It would be my Patek Philippe Annual Calendar - which at 39mm will still fit me at 65, 75, 85, 95 etc and remind me what month, day, date, hour, minute, second and since I won't be outside - the moon-phase is - if I needed to know. OK it won't be any good for diving into the swimming pool unlike my 16660, but by then neither will I. Martyn

My Rolex Daytona is The One for me.

It would have to be my Rolex 16610 Submariner

It's just such a perfect watch, if I could only have one watch I'd even have it over my Daytona as I'm a diver.

It's far from my "grail" watch, and almost don't want to say it, as it is a quartz and I would hate not to have a mechanical watch at all - but I can't see much else on offer being a more useful, handsome and infinitely practical watch:
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 11th November 2015 at 17:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

It's just such a perfect watch, if I could only have one watch I'd even have it over my Daytona as I'm a diver.
    I suppose if you're a diver, a large part of the decision is sort of made for you. As you're only allowed to have one watch on your wrist forever, it needs to be suitable for your job/hobbies/activities.

Master
    It would be an Omega Aqua Terra 38mm for me.

An incredibly versatile watch which will go with any occasion.

As you didn't mention having someone to set the time and date every time I'd left if off my wrist for a couple of days I'll go for this one if that's OK

The PRS-18Q on Isofrane seems to be pretty much on my wrist all the time now, and ignoring a 30-ish year old Seiko it's the least expensive watch I own.

Note: it's the only one of my watches that my 93-year old father can read. He was today certified severely sight impaired (blind), and if I'm planning for a lifetime watch, I don't want it to become simply a shiny bracelet in a few years time
    Last edited by Gyp; 11th November 2015 at 20:15.

Apprentice
    Rolex Explorer I 39mm for me. I've the Ranger, but would love to upgrade at some point. A do it all, simple and classy piece

Blog Entries
    One of these two perhaps

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

This- tough enough to take anywhere. Discrete enough (hands and markers) to wear "discretely".

I am torn between my 3 dream watches PP 5980, Rolex Platona and ALS 1815 Chrono (old version) . Slight edge to Platona despite weight - so theres the answer! (In my dreams) :-)