closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical one watch for the rest of your life.

Hypothetical one watch for the rest of your life.

Imagine a situation where you're being given a watch. It will cost you nothing, and will be serviced free of charge for the rest of your life. It will also be replaced with one exactly the same if it's ever stolen or broken.

The catch is you're never allowed to sell it, must give away all of your other watches, and can never buy or wear any other watch again.

What do you choose?

Personally, I think I'd go with a datejust. The 36mm model in steel/white gold with the fluted bezel. Black dial.

That's one of the only watches I can see myself wearing now, and when I'm 80. It's a size that will probably never go out of fashion, and will suit me now, and still not look too big on my future bony old man wrists. It's a classic and iconic style which likewise shouldn't date. I might hanker for a chronograph, or a gmt function from time to time, but I know I can live without both, but will always need a date. And the cyclops will probably come in handy by the time I'm an old man.

It's well made, but relatively understated, can be worn in just about any situation, and personally, I happen to think they're very versatile and look good on the bracelet, leather, and even (apologies to the people who feel a bit feint when I say this) on a nato.

Last edited by seikokiller; 4th October 2015 at 22:29.

Master
    I already own it - Pepsi 16710 for me. That is the watch that I could wear every day and never get tired of.
    As for never wearing any of the others...... Not sure about that!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    This;

16600 is to my mind pretty much perfect.

Seadweller - lug hole case.

A week today, I shall be able to answer this question :)

Master
    As much as the obvious answer is....
    PP 57xx or 59xx or
    ALS Zeitwerk or
    Credor GBLS998

....I think the reality would have to be a Glashutte Original PC on bracelet, although it would be getting a tough time from the MCT S200.

OP if I could get the model you've quoted without the Roman numerals then that would be my one watch.

Blog Entries
    This one for me right balance ,weight,legibility and clean lines

That is the same as winning the lottery,If I did I would not go for a date just.

But I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    OP if I could get the model you've quoted without the Roman numerals then that would be my one watch.
    I'd probably prefer it without the numerals too, to be honest. But I could live with them.

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    That is the same as winning the lottery,If I did I would not go for a date just.

But I love mine.
    While it'd be tempting to go for something more unattainable, you have to consider the reality of wearing it every day and for every occasion for the rest of your life.

Also, nothing else in my life would have changed, so I'd still be wearing my crappy clothes, and riding my crappy scooter to my crappy job where I barely make a living wage, so it'd be pretty weird if I was wearing some piece of haute horlogerie. Lol.

Master
    i wanted one watch to wear always and after much thought, i bought a SubC two years ago. I wear it pretty much all day,every day and it never gets stale.

works with any clothes on any occasion.

if someone else is paying and im free from all future costs I think id be out of the Swiss mass made stuff to be honest.

this would do

Subc for me.

I think I'd be happy enough with a Patek 3939 (minute repeater tourbillon).

(web photos)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    As much as the obvious answer is....
    PP 57xx or 59xx or
    ALS Zeitwerk or
    Credor GBLS998

....I think the reality would have to be a Glashutte Original PC on bracelet, although it would be getting a tough time from the MCT S200.
    Funny you should mention the GO PC, as that would probably be the one for me. If not that, then the 5167 due to it's legibility and light weight. (I'm only thinking about those I own/have owned, mind - I'm sure there are plenty of other options that would serve just as well and for far, far less money.)

Edit: having pondered this a little more, it really has to be a Submariner or a Datejust, doesn't it? No wonder the buggers sell so many watches.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th October 2015 at 08:42.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Seadweller - lug hole case.
    + 1.

36mm DateJust with WG fluted bezel and superjubilee

Although I'd love to say that the Habring2 Foudroyante was the piece for me, I think that even I will eventually tire of the flying seconds, especially in my dotage. And, of course, it's not suitable for light freediving activities, let alone SCUBA. The Bremont Supermarine is a pretty good all-rounder, but on rubber, it goes a lot better with a ski jacket or jeans than with a suit. I wouldn't dive with a Patek. I couldn't ski with a GO, Lange or Journe, while Kari's creations aren't great underwater, and Urban Jurgenson haven't released a dive watch yet. Ochs und Junior is a possibility, or perhaps something more utilitarian like an orange Sumo (but it looks stupid with black tie). A Rolex would be the obvious choice, but modern models just don't quite do it for me, and even their sibling manufacture doesn't quite push the right buttons (although the production model of the Only watch is a possibility). It's a shame, as the Sub is *probably* the best all-rounder. In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

Craftsman
    Patek 5170, perfect for dressing up or down. Should I not win the lottery, plan B would be a Submariner 14060M.

My Tutima ZUZ or Sinn EZM1, the former being my actual choice, the latter being my admission that I may need to wear something that looks a litle smarter every now and again.
    D

Blog Entries
    Quartz Tuna.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman
    This one for me, the "real" 36mm size.

Master
    As much as I love my SubC, I would have to go with the datejust similar to the OP but with stainless steel. I do miss the date on my watch and think about trading it for a datejust a lot. I agree it would suit an aging wrist better too.

Would be a dive chrono for me.

Oh, look, I've already got one!

I don't aspire to a Patek Phillipe or long for a Rolex, so I'd be happy with this - Every time I wear it I just look at it and smile.

Although, ideally, it'd have a GMT complication too...

M

Nothing has ever come close to the Thin Arrow for me:

Stolen pic:

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi-beat all day.

Master
    I'd want:

* something on a bracelet - much more universal than rubber, and leather isn't casual enough
    * something with water resistance - I like to wear a watch on holiday when swimming or scuba diving
    * something in muted colours - black, grey or blue goes best with the clothes I wear
    * nothing too big - it's got to look OK when I'm old
    * something from a famous brand - yes, I'm shallow
    * something with good service backup - it's no good if the watch has to go away for 9 months every five years
    * something nice and legible - for when the eyesight starts to fail

I guess I already have it.....

Sorry to upset things a wee bit but it's got to be a decent quartz for me..and I'm fortunate to have one in the shape of a GS..sbgx083

Craftsman
    Another vote for the sea dweller, and having just paid for a service on mine, the idea of a lifetime of free servicing is very appealing!

Craftsman
    I think i would go for a Patek 5711, kind of a one-watch-for-everything kind of thing.

As its hypothetical, a Rolex no date sub at 42mm in titanium with a heavily domed sapphire and lumed military bezel. Maybe even sword hands. One of a kind, apart from the allowed for replacements. If that's outside of the "rules" a Tudor Pelagos, own movement.
    Gray

Another Rolex choice here, but for me the Deep Sea

I found that the SDc wore too small for me, and although I would want to keep my Submariner LV (which feels bigger than a SDc) to play by the rules it is a DSSD for me.
    Funnily enough, my next Rolex service is Free - happy days!

This
    or
    This

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    There was a guy stood next to me on the tube on Friday wearing one of those.

Master
    Patek 5270. Perpetual Chronograph. All the complications I will ever need.

I'm not giving away all my other watches for ANY single watch.

The last watch I would get rid off though, would probably be my SD 16600
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfmannion View Post
    Doesnt owners of these have personal chauffeurs? I would be hesitate to walk around with one of these in public, maybe the metro is safe in London, i have not tried it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I personally leave my Patek in the Rolls with Jeeves if I fancy a trip on the rattler to look at the poor people.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alyng View Post
    This one for me, the "real" 36mm size.

Hard to argue with this IMO

The one watch would need to do a bit, so I suppose the FM Aeternitas Mega 4 might fit the bill.

And it would probably take the rest of my life to read the Owners Manual, and to understand why they bothered with the 12, 5 and 7.

Suitable dressed up or casual. Ok for swimming, hill walking or other outside activity. Looks good on bracelet, NATO or strap - Exp II 16570.

Either the PRS 25 or PRS 3 (Broadarrow) would do for me! I own both so I suppose thats it for me!!

It would appear it starts with the word Rolex. , I agree, as this will be my next purchase, long time coming, Pepsi/GMTII/subc/sea dweller... I'd have any of them :)

I don't think complications are necessary, nor is price, just need a watch you can use.

Much as I'd love to say that the George Daniels Space Traveller is my ideal "one watch", that would be nonsense. I'm as much of a #watchnerd as the next person, but it's simply not practical, day-to-day, for modern life. Nor is an early 19th century Breguet Souscription pocket watch, or a hand-made replica of Kendal's K2 watch.

Bizarrely, if I had to live with one watch, it would probably be the first real watch I ever bought 20 years ago: a Casio DW290. Rugged, water resistant, with a chrono, a backlight and countdown. An everyday wearer. There's even a daily alarm so that I can remember to take my pills in my old age.

What more could you want?

This[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by wilfmannion View Post
    Did you ask him for the time :)))))

Master
    Nautilus I think, possibly 5726/1A-001

Rolex GMT, any model: it's a Rolex, it's got a date, it's got three timezones, you can use the bezel for timing, it's waterproof, it's a certified chronometer. And it looks badass:

Well seeing as servicing etc is being paid for life.. My one watch would be a PP Nautilus 5990. It has all the functions I'm ever likely to require.

Stainless steel
    40mm - good size for me
    Dual time - for travel
    60min chrono - don't really need longer
    Waterproof to 120m - as deep as I'll ever need.

Pic from ablogtowatch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Rolex GMT, any model: it's a Rolex, it's got a date, it's got three timezones, you can use the bezel for timing, it's waterproof, it's a certified chronometer. And it looks badass:

Have to agree!!!