closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review - Orient Star GMT "Star Seeker"

Review - Orient Star GMT "Star Seeker"

After putting out a wanted ad for a GMT watch last week (which nobody answered...) I finally settled on an Orient Star GMT Auto from Creationwatches.com which duly arrived from Singapore 5 days after ordering. I have to say that this is without doubt the best new watch I've ever spent around £300 on (reduced from £579).

Here's some of the features:
    Independent GMT hand
    Hacking/handwinding (unlike most Orient movements) 22 jewel automatic movement
    Power reserve indicator
    Internal rotating bezel
    Sapphire crystal with AR coating
    Stainless steel case and bracelet
    100m water resistance

On with the pictures:

The screw down crown at the 4 o'clock is for the internal bezel. It turns nicely and doesn't have any free play. The crown at the 2 o'clock position is for all the other features and doesn't screw down. Maybe it's just my watch but it feels a bit loose - the movement won't start handwinding until the crown has turned about 30 degrees. When pulled out it feels and turns fine. I'm also disappointed that the crowns are plain without any Orient logo on them.

The dial is absolutely stunning and oozes quality. Honestly, if you saw this dial on a 2 grand watch you'd still be impressed. The applied power reserve marker is fantastic touch. Lume is also decent but my meagre photography skills preclude me from showing this.

The case is 41.5mm in diameter or 44mm with the crown guard. It's a chunky old thing at 14mm wide but the curved lugs mean it fits my fat 7.5" wrist really well. I'm not sure about the crown guard - it looks like an afterthought and I think the watch would look better without it.

The solid link bracelet and clasp are ok but nothing special. It's comfortable enough but seems to lack a quality I can't really define. It's certainly not in the same league as anything half decent and Swiss - probably more similar to something you might find on a £200 Seiko.

Lovely looking movement with "swirly bits" (excuse my ignorance) and a jolly nice rotor with the Orient Star logo embossed in gold.

Couple of wrist shots to finish

Overall, I would say this is by far and away the best automatic GMT watch you can buy for under £500 new. I've owned a couple of Steinhart GMTs and this knocks spots off them. I would say it's also a better watch than my Mido GMT which would have cost 3 times as much when new.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've been looking at these, thanks for taking the time to post this.

Odd question: what diameter is the crystal please?

Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I've been looking at these, thanks for taking the time to post this.

Odd question: what diameter is the crystal please?
    Odd question indeed. It's 35.4mm.

Great review. I've always liked the look of that watch but sadly it's too big for me

Interesting review

I like the dial

See what you mean re the crown guard - its doesn't look quite right