closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to sell a relatively low end watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Yes, the watch in question is a Tag Heuer. No, I wasn't expecting to get an avalanche of PMs on this forum from people wanting to buy it. It's too low end for those who appreciate watches and too pricey for those who do not, hence my predicament as to how to sell it.
    Gumtree! Gumtree! Gumtree!

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Was this thread started as a spoof or wind up?
    £1500 to a normal income person is not relatively "low end". To the more well healed then yes maybe
    But come on let's get real here
    Of course it's low end within the watch market, income is irrelevant,

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Well we going to have to agree to disagree
    My collection goes from £5 to £5k so to me low end would be considerably less that £1500

There are no hard and fast thresholds, but when we're talking about watches usually 'low end' means sub-£1K, mid-tier is up to £8-10K, and high-end is everything above that. Nothing to do with income or anything else. It's just how the market is structured.

Honestly that is a pretty ridiculous statement. Nowhere near 1% of watches made will sell for more than £1500.

Here are the figures from 2011, when the average Swiss watch unit price was just over £400. 30 million sold.

The average price for a Chinese/Hong Kong watch was probably about £5. Well over a billion sold.

http://www.economist.com/news/busine...-up-time-money

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Honestly that is a pretty ridiculous statement. Nowhere near 1% of watches made will sell for more than £1500.

Here are the figures from 2011, when the average Swiss watch unit price was just over £400. 30 million sold.

The average price for a Chinese/Hong Kong watch was probably about £5. Well over a billion sold.

http://www.economist.com/news/busine...-up-time-money

Mitch
    How is my statement ridiculous?
    £1500 is low end, anything under £10k is low end, as some watches are £1,000,000+
    It has nothing to do with income, sales volume, it's the price range.

I wear Rolex, Omega, Bell & Ross, which, within the watch scheme of things are low end, expensive, but still low end
    Last edited by rob-vicar; 3rd October 2015 at 13:21.

How is my statement ridiculous?
    £1500 is low end, anything under £10k is low end, as some watches are £1,000,000+
    It has nothing to do with income, sales volume, it's the price range.

Ehhh.....?

According to your, rather strange, logic, someone earning £2 million a year, living in a £5 million house, driving a 200k car and wearing a 10k watch is in the low end of all these markets because he is well below the mid point price of the ranges for all these things.

Are you sure your statement would not be seen as ridiculous?

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 3rd October 2015 at 13:45.

We should know from having been down this path numerous times, that it is all relative and has to be viewed in the context. All this classification of ranges from low to mid to high end is arbitrary and is not same for everyone and in every discussion.

Ehhh.....?

According to your, rather strange, logic, someone earning £2 million a year, living in a £5 million house, driving a 200k car and wearing a 10k watch is in the low end of all these markets because he is well below the mid point price of the ranges for all these things.

Are you sure your statement would not be seen as ridiculous?

Mitch
    Yes, exactly my point

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    We should know from having been down this path numerous times, that it is all relative and has to be viewed in the context. All this classification of ranges from low to mid to high end is arbitrary and is not same for everyone and in every discussion.
    In this context, low end can be measured within its own market / product type, by price, which is factual data.
    I agree though it does become arbitrary when you introduce classifications by using other criteria, as it is subjective. For example Rolex are more expensive than Omega, but to many Omega is the classier brand, or Omega can be seen as a lesser brand because of the price. That's where it all gets 'messy'

Anyway, TH is still low end, entry level into the Swiss market

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Are you into Huey Lewis and the News at all?
    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Yes, exactly my point
    Ok, someone living in a £5 million pond house is slumming it in a low end property.........right got you!!!.

Mind you, you must know as all the watches you have ever owned have been low end. Time to move up a little, to mid range perhaps?

Mitch

Master
    So much to say instead of finding the right price for the watch He wants to sell... I guess it's better for the OP to put a picture of His watch so everyone can evaluate the realistic value rather than arguing if 1, 500 is a low end watch or high end as this will depends on everyone's standard of living... Others will say 1, 500 is high end while others will say Low end...

I reckon when the watch appears, it's going to be an anti climax because of the hype and discussion about the phantom, maybe there is no watch, just a statement to create discussion

Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    So much to say instead of finding the right price for the watch He wants to sell... I guess it's better for the OP to put a picture of His watch so everyone can evaluate the realistic value rather than arguing if 1, 500 is a low end watch or high end as this will depends on everyone's standard of living... Others will say 1, 500 is high end while others will say Low end...
    No, no it isn't connected to your standard of living, it's relative to the price within the market, your perception of low or high end is only yours, irrelevant within the price range

Ok, someone living in a £5 million pond house is slumming it in a low end property.........right got you!!!.

Mind you, you must know as all the watches you have ever owned have been low end. Time to move up a little, to mid range perhaps?

Mitch
    Well done, missed the point, I've owned and still own some expensive units, but within the market, yes they are low to mid range, and that's OK as I buy within my budgets so it's all good

And no a £5,000,000 is not slumming it, but within the housing market its not top end either

Well done, missed the point,r
    No I didn't. I get your point exactly, that things should be judged as to where they sit within a full price range for a particular product or market rather than judging them against the median value.

It is just that it is a very silly point.

There are umpteen thousands of ocean going yachts but even those very very few which cost $150 million to $250 million are to be regarded as low end because they can go for $1 billion.

If you owned a $50 million house in the UK it is low end because they can go for up to $280 million.

If you cannot see how bollocks that is then you are beyond reason.

Mitch

As far as I see it, one man's low end Glashutte Original PanoMatic Luna is another man's high end Raymond Weil Freelancer, i.e. it's entirely subjective based on the purchaser's means

Grand Master
    Anyway, TH is still low end, entry level into the Swiss market
    No it isn't; you're thinking of Swatch, Flik Flak or (for watches with longer lifetimes) Tissot. No matter how much you may hate TAG and everything it stands for, it isn't "entry level" to any market except the one defined in one's own mind, where you are able to mentally push TAG to the bottom of the pile.

"It's all relative" is just something to say, it's meaningless.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    As far as I see it, one man's low end Glashutte Original PanoMatic Luna is another man's high end Raymond Weil Freelancer, i.e. it's entirely subjective based on the purchaser's means
    ...which makes it a meaningless discussion really since there are no anchors. The meta-question in this thread is "is TAG-Heuer a low end brand" and the answer, as with so many threads, is always personal, arguable, consistently disputed, and driven by brand alignment and intolerance.

I think for most members of the general public walking into an AD and looking at Tags starting at mid to high hundreds and rising into 4 figures - they would not regard them as low end, that would be your £20.00 watches in Argos. To WIS people on here who own brands that retail at much higher prices Tags may seem relatively inexpensive - all a question of where you start from.

ebay or gumtree

as tag are not really seen as collector pieces (except for maybe the monaco ) the problem comes with resale on forums like this and the amount of money that is going to be lost selling most tag watches on - something that comes as a surprise to your average non collector who thinks that a watch costing that much will either go up in value or lose very little.

The idea that tag is at the entry point to the Swiss watch market is weird coming from someone who posts on watch forums.

Even somebody who only sees big brands in the high street jewellers window has heard of Hamilton and Tissot.

Do TAG sell a watch for £350 that I just don't know about?

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post

Do TAG sell a watch for £350 that I just don't know about?
    I would have said £500.00 to £700.00 was probably the entry level for a new Tag. You might get one in Cash Convertors for £350.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I would have said £500.00 to £700.00 was probably the entry level for a new Tag. You might get one in Cash Convertors for £350.00.
    If we're looking at Quartz watches it's even clearer tag are not at the bottom end of the Swiss watch market.

RRP for the base quartz Formula 1 is £750.

Tissot and Hamilton respectively sell quartz models for £120 and £220.

It is 'low end' in the crazy world of watch enthusiasts/collectors etc

In the real world most people would never dream of spending thousands on a watch

Just checking...We do all realise we are weird right?

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    It is 'low end' in the crazy world of watch enthusiasts/collectors etc

In the real world most people would never dream of spending thousands on a watch

Just checking...We do all realise we are weird right?
    There are plenty of people here who would never dream of spending thousands on a watch. Or who simply can't afford to.

The definition of a WIS/enthusiast/collector is not anyone wealthy enough to spend vast sums of money on wristwatches.
    Last edited by seikokiller; 4th October 2015 at 20:48.

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    There are plenty of people here who would never dream of spending thousands on a watch. Or who simply can't afford to.

The definition of a WIS/enthusiast/collector is not anyone wealthy enough to spend vast sums of money on wristwatches.
    I agree and i am in that position myself and still enjoy my watches very much

In reality though enthusiasts will spend more than average on their hobbies/interests

My point was that to most £1500 on a watch would be a huge amount of money

^^^
    High-end......................... compared to not having a watch I guess.
    I'd rather go without

Grand Master
    You can buy a trashed Heuer diver for £250 if you look hard enough, or a 30-year-old F1 with mild water damage for £75. Someone might even give one away free. None of this is relevant though.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    You can buy a trashed Heuer diver for £250 if you look hard enough, or a 30-year-old F1 with mild water damage for £75. Someone might even give one away free. None of this is relevant though.
    Neither is your point.

What is the best way to sell a relatively low end watch ?

Any ideas ?

Grand Master
    Neither is your point.

What is the best way to sell a relatively low end watch ?

Any ideas ?
    Well, it has about as much relevance as your Cash Converters estimate...

The best way to sell a relatively low end watch is to sell it in an environment where it isn't classified as "relatively low end". So, a snobby watch forum won't do!

Is this still for sale or has it gone?