closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military - Do I Need One? What's yours like?

Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military - Do I Need One? What's yours like?

I've been considering a purchase for a few weeks to supplement my current 'collection' of a Smiths Everest and a Hamilton Khaki Field quartz. As my first watch love is a diver, that's what I've been pondering. My requirements are:

- £200 - £250
    - Bracelet
    - No preference of movement; auto, mechanical or quartz
    - Minimum 100m WR
    - No Citizen or ChR Ward (sorry if offended)
    - New or used

My ideal choice would be a 6309 7040 / 7049 but trying to get one in fairly original order for my budget is difficult, especially one that I'm able to swim in without having to get gaskets done and pressure tested myself at additional cost.

I've been offered a PRS-82 but turned it down on the lack of bracelet.

So having considered lots of things I'm now seriously considering the Steinhart OVM. Reasons? I've not had one before, it's a little different to pretty much every diver I've owned before, I know the quality will be good for the price, I like the looks and I can get one for my budget.

So OVM owners, what do you think of yours? What does it do well? Are there any flaws? Be honest please.

Pics would also help if you can be bothered.

If I get a positive vibe I'll stick a WTB up for one. If not, I won't.

Many thanks folks,

David
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 29th September 2015 at 13:55.

Master
    I really like mine! The domed sapphire, 60min graduated insert and sword hands are obviously a nod to the 5517, which I really like the look of. Case size is 42mm IIRC which I find wears nicely. Mine is the grey dial, looking at pics I would have had the older black dial if it was available. AR is nice. The aged loom is unoffensive, but the bracelet, mainly the clasp feels a bit nasty when compared to the real deal, but this is to be expected at the price point. Keeps excellent time and I feel looks nicer than the other offerings as the hands make it feel less hommagey if that makes sense.

NATO all the way...

have you had a 2nd gen monster?
    very hard to beat for the money
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I doubt that you'd regret it, they are very good value for money and decent quality.

Personally I prefer the older style black dial vs the newer grey one. The only negatives I can think of are that it says 200M on the dial when it's actually 300M and the lume on the dial and the pip do not always match on them (luckily my one does) and I'd prefer a more tapered bracelet.

I've owned one. Excellent for the money but I couldn't get past it looking like something it isn't. The 82 is a better value, better executed option and is essentially a reissue rather than a homage. I had mesh and oyster bracelet options that worked fine with it.
    Gray

I had one and flipped it. It was very well made, but with my modest wrists I couldn't get on with either its size or the fact that the lugs are very flat. The latter aspect means it's a happier fit for the larger-wristed amongst us.

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    but with my modest wrists I couldn't get on with either its size or the fact that the lugs are very flat
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your wrist size?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've been offered a PRS-82 but turned it down on the lack of bracelet.
    PRS-82 looks great on a Strapcode bracelet (Oyster or otherwise), which are very good value at under £50 (I think). Thats what I have mine on and it's a great combination and my favourite watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    PRS-82 looks great on a Strapcode bracelet (Oyster or otherwise), which are very good value at under £50 (I think). Thats what I have mine on and it's a great combination and my favourite watch.
    Out of interest was that on a strapcode with curved end links or straight? Be interested to see PRS82 pics with steel bracelets!

Have a look at aramar watches on Google if you like the OVM.
    I am contemplating getting one as a cheapie beater / holiday watch.
    I have never owned one but reviews I have seen are positive, there used to be a tie up between aramar and steinhart as well

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Out of interest was that on a strapcode with curved end links or straight? Be interested to see PRS82 pics with steel bracelets!
    Straight ends - don't think curved ends would work due to the shape of the watch.

Here's mine currently on a PloProf style strap from Strapcode:

[IMG][/IMG]

But it also looks great on the straight-end-oyster Strapcode (not my pic):

Thanks! Good pics, really like the mesh!
    Ps apologies to the OP, I am interested in this thread and opinions on the Steiny OVM 🏻

Master
    the Steinhart OVM...

one of the few watches I wish I still had in my collection, so yes if you are thinking about it, do get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your wrist size?
    Round about 6 3/4"... sorry, that would have been helpful to mention originally wouldn't it. :)

Master
    Very happy with mine as my weekend beater - although it does make me feel a little dirty wearing so accurate a LoLex.

The grey face and the faux aged lume give it the weirdest 'old plexi' feel to the face - as if it's slightly opaque hesalite rather than sapphire crystal. Build quality is excellent (though I have heard stories of no-threadlock mine showed threadlock present when I sized the bracelet. 300m is all the water resistance you need and it slides under a cuff (not that I wear it with a shirt and tie).

All in all a great piece of kit, at a price point that I'll wear it wielding a chainsaw (not when welding though...... one of my jobs for this evening is getting a chunk of weld splatter off my wedding ring after making a curtain rail on Sunday (D'Oh!)

Doubt you'll be disappointed if you go for one.

I had the DLC version for while:

Great value watch, well built, reliable, looks hard, but I couldn't live with the almost totally flat lugs. It just felt uncomfortable. Depends on your wrist shape I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I've owned one. Excellent for the money but I couldn't get past it looking like something it isn't.
    Agreed. It's a great watch, but every time I looked at it I was reminded that it wasn't a Rolex. I also don't care for the fake vintage lume, which is an alarming shade of custard yellow.

I preferred the Armida A9, which clearly shares the same DNA, but just seems a bit more its own thing somehow:

I love mine. I know it's a homage, but realistically I'm never going to spend tens of thousands on a genuine milsub as I just don't have it. If I won the Euromillions jackpot, well that's a different matter....

1st gen is the nicest I feel. Great value, very good quality, the bezel has nice solid clicks. Like most others, I have it on a nato now, it's much comfier than the bracelet and makes it a little less hefty. It also helps shrink it a tad on the wrist (I have a 7" wrist and think it's ok) As you can see it wears smaller than the O1V

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    I've got a 6.75"ish wrist and I very rarely wear mine. I just think it's too big looking on me. Much prefer my 82
    Last edited by GuyIncognito; 29th September 2015 at 21:29.

Thanks for all of your comments and pics, much appreciated. I'm pleased I asked because I now think it's going to be too big and thick for my 6.75" wrist.

Many thanks,

David

One other you might consider is the Squale 20 Atmos Militaire. Squale do a more traditionally sized 40mm case, and the build quality is equal to the Steinhart in my experience (having owned both). The Squale has a date window, which may or may not appeal if the traditional milsub look is what you're aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thanks for all of your comments and pics, much appreciated. I'm pleased I asked because I now think it's going to be too big and thick for my 6.75" wrist.

Many thanks,

David
    I have the mk1 black face model was going to get a new grey mk2 but then fortuitously one came up and I purchased one from ye olde sales corner instead and I've worn it virtually all the time since....

it's on a bracelet and I was concerned like you it may be too big but honestly my wrist is barely 1/2" more and it's absolutely fine....I'm sure it will be ok but i know not everyone wears the same....

For the money the build quality is excellent ...it has the same movement as my old Tag...and that's lasted years...can be serviced by anyone competent....I love the slightly domed crystal...I didn't think I'd like the vintage lume but I do now...and I'd have been happy with the mk2 but also very happy got my hands on a mk1...
    I chose it over the std ocean 1 because it may resemble a Rolex but only an old unobtainable one to the casual observer , a co worker who is a bit interested thought it was a Tudor at first......I'm also not a cyclops fan so it was the OVM for me anyway.....

yes perhaps if I'm being picky maybe that clasp doesn't feel quite so assured of top notch quality (as some have pointed out) but then it's below a monkey so I really don't need be that picky.....

If I'm short of money for next large purchase e.g seamaster

. but want something else id happily buy
    another....maybe the new ocean 1 titanium perhaps....
    Last edited by lordloz; 30th September 2015 at 23:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    One other you might consider is the Squale 20 Atmos Militaire. Squale do a more traditionally sized 40mm case, and the build quality is equal to the Steinhart in my experience (having owned both). The Squale has a date window, which may or may not appeal if the traditional milsub look is what you're aiming for.
    I was actually looking out for the Squale but for some reason none of the UK dealers seem to have the 1545, preferring to push the more expensive non-vintage looking 1521.

I have fancied getting a Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military, ever since seeing one.

The vintage appearance suits my tastes.

Unfortunately, two things have prevented me from getting one. No date, which is a must for my OCD! and the diameter - 40mm being my max.

Cracking photos by the way :)

Re: . No date, which is a must for my OCD!

Why? Is your OCD is on a schedule ?