closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega repair

Craftsman

Omega repair

On my wives Omega constellation the minute hand detached it self and is now loose between the dial and the crystal. Watch fell from about waist high onto laminate panels so there's no damage externally other than the detached hand.

As its a quartz I suspect its okay and just needs opening, taking out the insides to get to the dial and reattaching hand in the correct place.

I spoke to my local dealer where I got the watch (Laing's) and they want £310 for a full service, STS recommend full service and refinish of the case and bracelet for £245 but I need to send it to them at my cost using courier.

Does it really need full service or am just being taken for a ride because watch needs opening?
    Would you expect case and bracelet refinish to be included in £310 service done by omega directly?

thanks for the advice

Why not try Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking?
    He is a great, genuine and friendly guy.
    Through the years, his work on Omegas for me has been exceptional.
    You will need to post your watch, but have a chat with him first.

Grand Master
    If the watch has been dropped hard enough for a hand to come off there's a risk of damage to the movement. Just re-read the post and I`m assuming it doesn`t have a seconds hand? If so that'll be floating about too and there's a possibility that the centre seconds pinion has broken. If no seconds hand there's less likelihood of damage.

I`m v. busy at the moment with other stuff so the watch work has had to take a back seat. I could sort this out relatively cheaply but I couldn`t do it immediately. PM me with details of the watch (model etc) if interested.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 29th September 2015 at 16:18.

Craftsman
    Could try john at obsolete watches.
    I've not had a watch in for service with him yet but I've recommended him in the past and he did a great job on a vintage omega.
    And he's very well priced :)

Quote Originally Posted by mac83 View Post
    On my wives Omega constellation the minute hand detached it self and is now loose between the dial and the crystal. Watch fell from about waist high onto laminate panels so there's no damage externally other than the detached hand.

As its a quartz I suspect its okay and just needs opening, taking out the insides to get to the dial and reattaching hand in the correct place.

I spoke to my local dealer where I got the watch (Laing's) and they want £310 for a full service, STS recommend full service and refinish of the case and bracelet for £245 but I need to send it to them at my cost using courier.

Does it really need full service or am just being taken for a ride because watch needs opening?
    Would you expect case and bracelet refinish to be included in £310 service done by omega directly?

thanks for the advice
    How old is the watch and when was it last, if ever, looked at or had a battery change? The answers to those questions may make a full service seem less expensive, maybe.
    If it helps as a comparison, I had my Speedy fully serviced, with case and bracelet refinish for about £460 by Omega sent though Laings - a very different movement though.

Laings quote is in tune with the official price list.

http://www.omegawatches.com/customer...ervice-prices/

Good luck!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    How old is the watch and when was it last, if ever, looked at or had a battery change? The answers to those questions may make a full service seem less expensive, maybe.
    If it helps as a comparison, I had my Speedy fully serviced, with case and bracelet refinish for about £460 by Omega sent though Laings - a very different movement though.

Laings quote is in tune with the official price list.

http://www.omegawatches.com/customer...ervice-prices/

Good luck!
    Its 3 years old and had battery replaced last year through laings at the cost of £70 or thereabouts if I remember correctly...

And it doesnt have seconds hand. Paul I will PM you the exact model this afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by mac83 View Post
    Its 3 years old and had battery replaced last year through laings at the cost of £70 or thereabouts if I remember correctly...
    And it doesnt have seconds hand. Paul I will PM you the exact model this afternoon
    It's a leap from £70 to £310!