closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stolen watch,whose liability.

Master

Stolen watch,whose liability.

Bought watch from private seller in Singapore,pp gift.Box arrived today with note from Royal Mail saying contents damaged on entering Uk,inside box but no watch.Was only £150 so not the end of the world,not been in this situation,is there an understanding of whose liability it is ? Help appreciated.

Master
    The sender needs to make a claim with Royal Mail, however coming from abroad I suspect that won't get them very far and it won't be honoured.

I'd ask the seller for a refund, it should be for them to put right.

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    The sender needs to make a claim with Royal Mail, however coming from abroad I suspect that won't get them very far and it won't be honoured.

I'd ask the seller for a refund, it should be for them to put right.

Good luck...
    if rm says the package was damaged on entering uk, it isn't their liability
    also, senders original contract wouldn't be with rm either
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

As I see it, it was the senders responsibility to get the watch delivered to you.. This hasn't happened. Its on him.

Craftsman

The seller has the obligation

to get you the watch delivered to your doorstep. You paid him for that. He should have send you (and maybe he has) the watch insured, with tracking and signed for airmail. That way he would be covered if anything went wrong.
    Guillermo

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    As I see it, it was the senders responsibility to get the watch delivered to you.. This hasn't happened. Its on him.
    That's right. It is up to the sender to see that the watch is properly insured in case it goes missing.

I have bought some high value watches from the far east that have been fully insured and sent by FedEx fully trackable every step of the way. But I must admit low value watches are rarely insured.

It is the senders responsibility though.

It is the senders responsibility as already mentioned, however payment via paypal gift...good luck trying to get any money back...
    Hopefully the seller will help you

Blog Entries
    I once received this...

A seiko e ink watch had been robbed... It was probably tough on the seller, but, I had no reason to either trust them or not trust them, I was advised to make a claim (had to file on online report with the police) and I got all my money back

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Bought watch from private seller in Singapore,pp gift.Box arrived today with note from Royal Mail saying contents damaged on entering Uk,inside box but no watch.Was only £150 so not the end of the world,not been in this situation,is there an understanding of whose liability it is ? Help appreciated.
    Are they a seller on here?

I noted a few adds recently from a seller in Singapore tingled the senses.

I'm assuming with you saying "it was only £ 150", there would be no insurance ?
    If that's the case, I'd guess you've got nowhere to go sadly.
    The other comments suggesting it's the sellers responsibility to "get it to your door" as such, would only apply if you'd chosen to pay the extra for tracked insured delivery as I see it.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune all the same....

Craftsman
    Another factor is that the OP says RM reported damage to the contents but the OP has no damaged items to return for a refund.

If its a reputable seller who wants to keep his reputation then he should send another and claim of his insurance/ chase it up with his mail office

Anyone who asks to be paid using Paypal Gift has already revealed a willingness to cheat on the transaction.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Anyone who asks to be paid using Paypal Gift has already revealed a willingness to cheat on the transaction.
    Rubbish, it means nothing of the sort. PP gift is a good way to send money without fees for small-ish value transactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Rubbish, it means nothing of the sort. PP gift is a good way to send money without fees for small-ish value transactions.
    A good way of evading fees by saying something is a gift when it isn't.

Master
    It's also for paying money owed for family and friends. If it's between regulars here on TZ, I'd class that as friends.

Don't think that was the case here.

Sorry to hear this John; I hope that it gets sorted out ok.

Banned
    i never send money as a gift as it's the first hint of a untrustworthy seller, what i always suggest you do is pay his fees on top that way they still get there full amount and your still covered.
    if im spending £1000 on a watch then another £34 for cover is worth every penny, if after that the seller still insists on it being paid as a gift i walk away because he only has one thing on his mind,
    theres plenty of paypal fee calculators out there and the fees are not as bad as you think, like i said £34 on a grand ill pay it all day long

http://finalfeecalculator.co.uk/

Blog Entries
    If ever I use PayPal to send or receive funds on here I always send/ ask for it to be sent as a gift. Does it make me untrustworthy? Absolutely not, make no mistake if someone called me untrustworthy or even inferred it there would be trouble (and I'm not a keyboard warrior as those who know me will testify). It's all about integrity and personal worth, I would say the vast majority of people on this forum value their integrity far more than any watch (I would have said all until very recently but some weasels seem to have slipped through the net, although Eddie and fellow forummers seem to root em out PDQ).
    It's what makes this place different, better, and have no need for moderators.
    Rant over :-)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    If ever I use PayPal to send or receive funds on here I always send/ ask for it to be sent as a gift. Does it make me untrustworthy? Absolutely not, make no mistake if someone called me untrustworthy or even inferred it there would be trouble (and I'm not a keyboard warrior as those who know me will testify). It's all about integrity and personal worth, I would say the vast majority of people on this forum value their integrity far more than any watch (I would have said all until very recently but some weasels seem to have slipped through the net, although Eddie and fellow forummers seem to root em out PDQ).
    It's what makes this place different, better, and have no need for moderators.
    Rant over :-)
    on this forum your right its different ill admit that people know each other and have probably been selling on here for years and carry a good rep.
    but if you was just joe blogs from Singapore and i offered to pay your fees and you still said no gift only, i would deem you untrustworthy and ill tell you that.
    your integrity means jack to me when i paying £1500 for a luxury item, at the same time there's also a lot of buyers who go to the end of the world to scam a seller via charge back,
    so i can also see why a seller would want it as a gift but you do know even gifts can be easily reversed via credit card chargeback
    check this out only happened a few months back and is happening more and more as people learn the loopholes in paypal

http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/mmo-...hargeback.html
    Last edited by dirboxden; 30th September 2015 at 07:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    make no mistake if someone called me untrustworthy or even inferred it there would be trouble
    Ooh ! That sounds a bit Ronnie Pickering to me...!

Craftsman
    Sender needs to give you a refund. Getting the watch to you is on them.

Senders responsibility until arrival at yours.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Do you know who I am :-)

Might be a good time to remind people that it's more or less impossible to insure expensive watches during shipping as a private person. You need to be EXTREMELY careful if someone says they'll ship it with insurance as most, if not all, shipping companies exempts expensive watches from their coverage.

Think people would be surprised to know how many times they have had a watch shipped in the belief it was covered.
    Last edited by jonasy; 30th September 2015 at 11:30.

Journeyman
    Really interesting responses here, seems pretty much everyone has the expectation that it is the seller's responsibility re delivery to your door. I'm not so sure I agree. The pretty much the standard position re contract law is that once the seller has posted the item they have effectively delivered it to you; the risk of actual delivery is on you. This largely applies unless you have made some other express deal with the seller re delivery. My advice is that the buyer should always specify the delivery method (after all you are paying for it) and if it is worth it, insure it or accept the risk.

On the paypal gift I cant see a issue, as has been said there is a trust on SC and I have used it on other forums too for lower value items - never a problem..

The comment referring to dodgeing charges is ridiculous, I always have money in my paypal account and paypal make interest on that money so no guilt felt here for sending a few quid as a friend..

Back to the OP, for £150 I would try getting it back off the seller direct as its not the end of the world for him to sort out..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    On the paypal gift I cant see a issue, as has been said there is a trust on SC and I have used it on other forums too for lower value items - never a problem..

The comment referring to dodgeing charges is ridiculous, I always have money in my paypal account and paypal make interest on that money so no guilt felt here for sending a few quid as a friend..
    What has trust on SC to do with this case?

As well as dodging charges PayPal Gift means that PayPal won't intervene if there is a problem so it's possible that this is requested by dodgy sellers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

As well as dodging charges PayPal Gift means that PayPal won't intervene if there is a problem so it's possible that this is requested by dodgy sellers.
    thats is very ture but remember like i said earlier if you pay with your credit card you can still do a charge back whether the payment was sent as a gift or not,

Seller is liable for the postage of the item if its not delivered then his courier need to be held accountable. The buyer can't do this, they weren't the one who contracted the courier to deliver the goods.
    PayPal gift is not covered.
    Both buyer and seller have no protection.
    Buyer raises chargeback, seller is screwed.
    It's quite simple.
    Some take issue with removing eBay listings to do a private deal to forego fees, but will justify not paying the fees to PayPal in order to not only protect the buyer, but also the seller, just to save a few quid. Strange.

Of course it's fine if you absolutely trust who you're dealing with... But it's always the crowd who then blame PayPal when they (PayPal) do nothing because they sent a personal payment, or the seller has been hit with a chargeback and loses the money, that I find questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Might be a good time to remind people that it's more or less impossible to insure expensive watches during shipping as a private person.
    Parcel Pro is the obvious way round this (and any watch collector individual can open an account FOC).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    hi. who is Ronnie pickering? i've never heard of him. thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    Of course it's fine if you absolutely trust who you're dealing with...
    This, exactly. Always buy the seller!

If you read the thread SC and Paypal gifting has been brought into it..

As far as paypal intervening and dodging charges I don't agree, the whole point of people using gift option is its for low value items and in a trusted community - like SC, I wouldn't expect to pay for a Jaeger-LeCoultre through gift option but a £10.00 strap - yes..

No. The 'personal payment' is simply that. It's not a 'commercial payment'. Any payment you are requesting to be paid as a personal payment or are sending as a personal payment that involves anything of value, goods etc, is against PayPal's terms.

Personal payments are for personal friends or family members to be sent as 'gifts'.

That's the black and white of it. If you are receiving a lot of personal payments that are for goods, your account could be restricted. Just so people are clear.

As far as paypal intervening and dodging charges I don't agree, the whole point of people using gift option is its for low value items and in a trusted community - like SC, I wouldn't expect to pay for a Jaeger-LeCoultre through gift option but a £10.00 strap - yes..

No. The 'personal payment' is simply that. It's not a 'commercial payment'. Any payment you are requesting to be paid as a personal payment or are sending as a personal payment that involves anything of value, goods etc, is against PayPal's terms.

Personal payments are for personal friends or family members to be sent as 'gifts'.

That's the black and white of it. If you are receiving a lot of personal payments that are for goods, your account could be restricted. Just so people are clear.
    I didn't realise TZ had Paypal police - who mentioned a lot of personal payments? a few gift payments a year are hardly going to stress PP admin are they, if you don't like the gift option then don't use it but please don't preach its cringe worthy..

I have read the thread - SC and Paypal gifting might have been brought up but is irrelevant to the OP.

The whole point of Paypal gifting is for the payment of gifts, not for the payment for low value goods or services whether in a trusted community or not.

The whole point of Paypal gifting is for the payment of gifts, not for the payment for low value goods or services whether in a trusted community or not.
    I know these are Paypal words and not yours but without sounding pedantic gifts are given not paid for, I think everybody is getting a bit sensitive over a few small payments made between a small community on a forum, you have a buyer and seller and its between them over a private PM how money changes hands and I'm sure the purchaser knows the risks..

Lets get this thread back on topic for the OP..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    hi. who is Ronnie pickering? i've never heard of him. thanks.
    bump.......anyone?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    bump.......anyone?
    funny viral video guy... if only there was a place on the net where you could search for things, such as videos etc?

I didn't realise TZ had Paypal police
    Just for the record. TZ have every type of police on here ever imagined !

I didn't want to reply to this. My point was to clarify what the payment type is for. It's not for low value items like you stated. Fine, use it for that if you see fit. What's your payment limit? Do you understand why a gift payment can actually leave the seller more vulnerable? I don't care if you answer these, by the way.

You also said you don't agree that it's dodging fees or the fact that PayPal won't intervene. Well, it is, and they don't.

Now, why would you say I don't like the gift option? It's fine for what it is. And yes, I'd also use it in ways I feel it necessary, but on the basis I understand the risks.
    Secondly, I never accused anyone of mentioning a lot of personal payments, I simply clarified what PayPal might look in to if they see a pattern of it. Treat that as a simple lesson for you to learn.

It's cringeworthy for me having to explain myself to you. I hope you don't cringe this time, though. Simply sit back, read what I said and then just keep being you, because you're amazing and I think you might be my favourite person in the world.

I didn't realise TZ had Paypal police - who mentioned a lot of personal payments? a few gift payments a year are hardly going to stress PP admin are they, if you don't like the gift option then don't use it but please don't preach its cringe worthy..

I didn't want to reply to this. My point was to clarify what the payment type is for. It's not for low value items like you stated. Fine, use it for that if you see fit. What's your payment limit? Do you understand why a gift payment can actually leave the seller more vulnerable? I don't care if you answer these, by the way.

You also said you don't agree that it's dodging fees or the fact that PayPal won't intervene. Well, it is, and they don't.

Now, why would you say I don't like the gift option? It's fine for what it is. And yes, I'd also use it in ways I feel it necessary, but on the basis I understand the risks.
    Secondly, I never accused anyone of mentioning a lot of personal payments, I simply clarified what PayPal might look in to if they see a pattern of it. Treat that as a simple lesson for you to learn.

It's cringeworthy for me having to explain myself to you. I hope you don't cringe this time, though. Simply sit back, read what I said and then just keep being you, because you're amazing and I think you might be my favourite person in the world.
    I'm not going to dissect the above email and argue every point as we have taken this far enough off topic already but my main point was we're all adults, we don't need to be preached about the good and bad of Paypal, just let people live and operate they way they want, if you don't like it then so be it but don't tell me what I can and cant do...
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 2nd October 2015 at 10:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    funny viral video guy... if only there was a place on the net where you could search for things, such as videos etc?
    thank you.