closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First time someone's identified the watch on my wrist

First time someone's identified the watch on my wrist

There have been a few occasions when someone's commented on the watch I'm wearing, typically saying that it looks nice and asking what it is.

Always nice.

I could tell the chap I was talking to today was looking at my watch though, and then... "I've been looking at your watch, I've got one of those too"

Nice that with all the distinctive watches I've got, the one that got noticed was my PRS18Q :-)

Craftsman
    I have only had comments or staring at my previous Omega Seamaster 'blue' Bond and my Tag Heuer Carrera. It does not surprise me; especially that particular Omega is one of the most recognizable watches in my opinion.

I'm not sure anyone other than a WIS has ever identified the watch on my wrist. Remarkably the one people seem to like the most is my Omega Marine Chronometer, I assume it has a certain coolness in its ugliness! The ChronoQuartz/Montreal also gets positive comments.
    "A man of little significance"

I saw someone wearing a patrizzi dial Daytona on the tube today and really wanted to talk to him, but decided not to. If it's one of you guys, I'd like to say "stunning watch!"

At a guest house last week when I clocked someone looking at my nato clad submariner. I wondered why, then I noticed he had a Black and blue GMT on. First I've seen outside a shop and it looked fantastic!

Noone has ever mentioned any of mine and on the very few occasions i have noticed something vaguely interesting the owner has had absolutely no interest in watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    There have been a few occasions when someone's commented on the watch I'm wearing, typically saying that it looks nice and asking what it is.

Always nice.

I could tell the chap I was talking to today was looking at my watch though, and then... "I've been looking at your watch, I've got one of those too"

Nice that with all the distinctive watches I've got, the one that got noticed was my PRS18Q :-)
    he might have had an original navy diver and thought you were wearing one of those
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    It's happened to me twice... Once in a restaurant, the waiter noticed my sub LV, apparently his brother had a thing for old datejusts

And another time, talking to a chap at oulton park, he commented on the LV, and he was wearing the oldest most battered Pepsi I'd ever seen..

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    he might have had an original navy diver and thought you were wearing one of those
    Quite possibly.

Unfortunately, due to the circumstances, I wasn't able to follow up.

The chap very kindly give my lad an impromptu 45-minute tour of the Warwick University engineering department, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

I was talking to my sisters neighbour the other day. He's in his late 70s and used to work as a projectionist in the local cinema. My nephew works there now, so we were all having a chit chat about how it used to be, and he was showing us some photos of what the projectionist s room was like in the old days and describing his work etc. I noticed he had an old seadweller on his wrist, he was obviously the sort of guy for whom a watch was a tool and he'd used it every day of its life. I don't think he would have believed me if I told him what they are worth today.

I sometimes comment on peoples watches, paying them a compliment and it often goes down well. Some people, who obviously aren't that into their watches do look at me like I've propositioned their mum though.

Steve

I often wear a Grand Seiko... No one has ever noticed it or said anything.
    This can be useful when travelling of course. I doubt I will ever be mugged for a Seiko.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't think he would have believed me if I told him what they are worth today.
    Then buy it sharpish before he wises up.

Master
    I had my Oris Aquis on the other day and the chap in my car (taxi) enquired if it was an Oris and when I said yes, he replied 'nice watch' which was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Then buy it sharpish before he wises up.
    a few years ago that scenario would have crossed my mind but i have decided ripping off pensioners probably isn't the best way forward in this watch collecting malarkey

a few years ago that scenario would have crossed my mind but i have decided ripping off pensioners probably isn't the best way forward in this watch collecting malarkey
    Nor a good plan for getting into heaven.

As for me, I've gotten a few of the "Nice watch... what is it?" sort of comments the OP mentioned. Never anyone that recognized anything. About five years ago though I loaned my brother my Ocean7 LM-1 for a diving trip to Cancun. He said he sat next to a gent on the return flight who commented on the watch, knew what it was and said he had been looking into buying one. All in all, not what I'd expect with a boutique brand.

Master
    I'm usually pretty relaxed about this sort of thing and don't like urinating on anyone's parade but I recently got on a flight and was sitting next to a young, slightly gobby bloke in a shiny suit who was breaking his neck to look at my Tag Monaco.
    "Is that a Monaco?" he asks
    "Yes", I reply
    "Lovely watch"
    "Thanks"
    "I've got an Omega", he says, pulling up his sleeve with a flourish. "Planet Ocean"
    "Nice", says I. "I have an older SMP but the Planet Oceans are great watches".
    "Yeah", he says. "I'd always fancied one and did lots of research before buying. I'm getting really into it now; all my friends ask me about watches and I'm becoming a bit of an expert".
    "Just watch out", I say with a smile. "It's a great hobby but it gets expensive".
    "Oh I don't think I'll lose much money when I sell this and buy something else. Do you find you lose much?"
    "I don't know", I reply. "I don't sell, I collect".
    "Oh", he says. "How many do you have?"
    "About 40", I reply.

*deathly silence for the rest of the flight*

:-)

SGR

Always nice.

He wanted to have sex with you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    More fool you Dave ;)

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I'm usually pretty relaxed about this sort of thing and don't like urinating on anyone's parade but I recently got on a flight and was sitting next to a young, slightly gobby bloke in a shiny suit who was breaking his neck to look at my Tag Monaco.
    "Yes", I reply
    "Lovely watch"
    "Thanks"
    "I've got an Omega", he says, pulling up his sleeve with a flourish. "Planet Ocean"
    "Yeah", he says. "I'd always fancied one and did lots of research before buying. I'm getting really into it now; all my friends ask me about watches and I'm becoming a bit of an expert".
    "Just watch out", I say with a smile. "It's a great hobby but it gets expensive".
    "Oh I don't think I'll lose much money when I sell this and buy something else. Do you find you lose much?"
    "About 40", I reply.

SGR
    Wow, you really showed him eh?

I bet you had a semi for hours.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    He wanted to have sex with you.
    Oh *ugger there I was thinking I had good taste in watches with all the admiring glances and remarks I get

A couple of months ago I had the 2nd of a series of meetings with a prospective client to discuss a new project, after the meeting we had a casual chit chat about sport etc, and then all of a sudden my client said "I really like your speedmaster, but I preferred the snowflake you were wearing in the last meeting".
    It took me back a bit as no one has ever commented on a watch before other than the usual "that's nice, what is it"?
    We got the project and I would like to think it was thanks to our competitive tender and obvious expertise; however it's must have been the watches.
    I now wear a different watch every time I go to the clients office, it gives us something to talk about other than how bad the project is turning out!
    😀

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    "Yes", I reply
    "Lovely watch"
    "Thanks"
    "About 40", I reply.

SGR
    Haven't I read this story before?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't normally comment on other peoples watches unles I know them reasonably well.

I was sat in a meeting last week and the Mariner to my right had a Rolex GMT on, couldn't take my eyes off it, I asked to look at it later that day, it was a 1978 model, stunning watch. He was quite happy to discuss other models he owned when he realised I was a collector/enthusiast.

Master
    I've had a couple of people, that I come into contact with through work, mention my Planet Ocean and always in a positive, complimentary way.

The known "watch snobs" that I see get all "uppity" about my Vostok, which I find mildly amusing. Usually because I change it from one NATO to another or onto Leather quite frequently

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    Haven't I read this story before?
    Yes, apologies, I posted it on another thread a little while back.

SGR

Master

Yes, I think I did, and no, I didn't. Thank you for yet another sparkling contribution; I can only wonder how you manage to maintain the level so consistently.

SGR

Grand Master
    If someone's watch is visible I will always take note of what it may be,simply because I have an interest in watches,I'm sure most on here will do the same,on occasion I might strike up a conversation and they too have the same interest.

Much easier if you happen to be looking in the shop window of a watch shop,or even inside the shop,rather than whilst at the urinals in the pub,trying to explain your interest in his watch at that moment may not be welcomed!.......

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I've had a couple of people, that I come into contact with through work, mention my Planet Ocean and always in a positive, complimentary way.
    You didn't happen to be on a flight with another poster here at some point :-)

Blog Entries
    The only notice I had of my watch was a long time ago when I owned my omega seamaster 'bond' - and a stunningly beautiful sales girl commented on my watch. Unfortunately I was too youthful and embarrassed to up the complement - these days I think I would be flattered to be noticed by a young girl be it for what I was wearing on my wrist or for any other reason.

Martyn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASK3L View Post
    Nope! :)

But 40 watches beats my 7 everyday of the week ;)

Master
    I was approached buy a stunning blonde Swedish lady recently while on holiday, she complimented me on my Speedbird which made my day.

Craftsman
    Recently I was flying to Asia from Helsinki and they had chinese cabin crew. (All Finns are fired, if you wonder why. But its nice to know that I can communicate with chinese in Finnish airline...) One lady of crew was wearing Tag-Heuer F1 chrono. When she was back of plane, I was going to toilet and said "You got pretty nice watch, by the way."

We had pretty nice chat about watches and she tried my Rolex to her wrist. :)

(Yes, yes. No need to say: Of course I would like to had sex with her.)

-OD

I just remembered that on Thursday last week i was working on a site and i guy i know walked up and looked closely at my SKX007, he clocked that it was a Seiko and said 'oh sorry, i thought it was something nice like a rolex' then walked away

Quote Originally Posted by odgreen View Post
    Recently I was flying to Asia from Helsinki and they had chinese cabin crew. (All Finns are fired, if you wonder why. But its nice to know that I can communicate with chinese in Finnish airline...) One lady of crew was wearing Tag-Heuer F1 chrono. When she was back of plane, I was going to toilet and said "You got pretty nice watch, by the way."

We had pretty nice chat about watches and she tried my Rolex to her wrist. :)

(Yes, yes. No need to say: Of course I would like to had sex with her.)

-OD
    nice and honest and straight to the point - that would be a good new thread "which watches have got you 'some' .... er laid ..."

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    I was approached buy a stunning blonde Swedish lady recently while on holiday, she complimented me on my Speedbird which made my day.
    I hear tms had her hair died recently ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    nice and honest and straight to the point - that would be a good new thread "which watches have got you 'some' .... er laid ..."
    Which would be none....ever

The news of my watch purchases is usually met with a certain frostiness, so perhaps a "which watch had caused the longest drought" might be more appropriate

Master
    The news of my watch purchases is usually met with a certain frostiness, so perhaps a "which watch had caused the longest drought" might be more appropriate
    So sadly true...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASK3L View Post
    Hehehe. That did make me laugh. I really like engaging in chats with people about watches, I just dislike people who present themselves as a know-it-all. There's always a bigger fish...

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'm not sure anyone other than a WIS has ever identified the watch on my wrist. Remarkably the one people seem to like the most is my Omega Marine Chronometer, I assume it has a certain coolness in its ugliness! The ChronoQuartz/Montreal also gets positive comments.
    That's not quite true.

I'm sure I've said to you 'hey! that is my old watch that used to be your old watch and is now your new watch again' on more than one occasion.

Now where is the theme from Swap Shop when you need it.

Craftsman
    Would be the most awkward and creepy thread ever posted at an online forum.

Apprentice
    Women often complement each other on their jewellery or watches and it's considered normal.

Women don't often complement men on their watches as it could perhaps be misinterpreted?

Men don't often complement men on their watches as it could definitely be misinterpreted!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Knisse View Post
    Would be the most awkward and creepy thread ever posted at an online forum.
    Probably considered lighthearted banter down at the Ashley Madison forum!

Grand Master

I found the loud/shiny suit/Planet Ocean combo perfectly believable. But then some nice people I know have an Omega watch too.

A department manager in Selfridges once told me he had over 70 watches. I remember thinking, even with discounts and prices in 2005 which were half or less what they are today, that's quite a well-paid job.

When it comes to people noticing your watch, obviously you can't help it (unless you hitch your sleeve back in an effort to get as many people to look at it as possible). And don't do it to others - the other TZ has some advice on the matter about how people with nice watches aren't necessarily watch idiots even though watch idiots think that all people with nice watches are just like they are:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...0&rev=&reveal=
    Last edited by andrew; 28th September 2015 at 09:47.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Haha the initial post made me laugh. "I'm not gay". His point is good though, comments about watches can seem harmless but each has their own personal space and to make a comment can feel like a violation of that personal space, so i would never comment on a stranger; a friend, co-worker etc. no problem, but not a complete stranger.

I have had a few comments over the years on watches I've owned - usually complimentary when I was into Rolex and Panerai but with a hint of 'you must be loaded' which I didn't like very much. I have complimented others on their watches, but only when the watch in question is 'a bit wis' - I find that a Sinn, Damasko, Precista, old Rolex, Tutima, JDM Seiko or JDM G shock is more likely to be owned by someone with an interest in watches whereas a current planet ocean or Submariner is more likely to belong to a brand snob/enthusiast. You might as well compliment him on his loafers/briefcase/Ralph Lauren polo!
    I'm not saying modern Omega and Rolex are bought purely by poseurs, but a lot of them are - you probably can't say the same for some of the micro brands or models that only a WIS would recognise. It was a random stranger wearing a Sinn U1 who was kind enough to let my take a closer look, and even let me try it on (!) That resulted in my buying one - never seen another since

More people notice my Jeep then they do any watches I may wear

Craftsman
    People at work notice my Orange Monster  but then it's hardly subtle.usually they ask where's your Orange watch when I'm wearing something else...
    Only one -another WIS - has ever asked if that's an OM?

Dave