closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Comfy Car Seats?

Most Comfy Car Seats?

Is it still Volvo?

Sat in a Beemer and Merc recently and the seats were rubbish. The leather reminded being of being a kid and sitting on our old 70s settee.

Yep its still Volvo.

Still Volvo. XC60 SE Lux seats are like your favourite armchair. BMW seats are poor in my experience (the seats in our i3 feel wooden compared to the Volvo).

Craftsman
    Agreed regarding BMW, I had a 3 series years ago and sold it after 6 months because of the seats. I must say tho, that my wife's Saab 9-3 seats are just about the most comfy I've sat in, granted, I have never had a Volvo.

I still miss my old Volvo V70 with leather heated seats, the amount of times I struggled to stay awake on long journeys due to the comfort. Had an A class once and were the worst seats ever in my experience - like sitting on a nobbly park bench. Big citroens back inthe day used to be very comfy as well, not sure about now.

Craftsman
    Arses for carses...

Citroen BX - without a doubt especially after 150k miles in 3 years.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    had Saab and Volvo and Saab are the best

Jag ,God how i miss the comfort of that car .

Craftsman
    Another +1 for SAAB; especially the 9-5.

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip
    BMW seats are poor in my experience
    I found the seats in my e39 5 series had great support and were fine over a long journey, but they were a bit more on the sporty side than "luxurious". I bought a GS300 about a month ago, and it's much more of an armchair on wheels. Lots of adjusting can be done, so it's very relaxing.

Interesting question.

The seats on the Jags I had were always excellent. The seats in my Lexus 4x4 Hybrid are similarly armchair like.

As for sports cars, I would have to say the seats on my Maserati Cambiocorsa are very very good. Better than on the 911's I have had.

Worst "I own(ed) Jags, Lexus, Porsche and Maserati" humblebrag ever

Paul

Banned
    Lexus LS far to comfy, BMW 730 rubbish, my new Audi A8 very comfortable.

DS4 - really excellent, sporty but supportive, with excellent lumbar support and massage. Better than my last Volvo and IMHO much better than Saab. A 9-5 estate that I borrowed a year or two back was nothing like as good, but they're old designs and the seat was almost 100k old.

Master
    I think seats are as subjective as the cars themselves, another reason why you should try before you buy. I'll bet not all Volvo seats are great, just as all BMW seats are not rubbish.

I have hire cars most weeks, so have tried all sorts, and find most seats fine to be honest. I really dislike plumped up armchair style seats though.

My own car is a humble 1 Series BMW and I love the sports seats in that (The i3 seats do seem a bit thin, as befits it's weight saving ethos), and they're every which way adjustable so you can get a good position with a bit of fiddling. It's a pain when anybody else drives it though, getting the seat back to how I liked it. Now if only I could fix the offset driving position it would be great...

I find adjustable lumbar support essential for getting comfortable, and always prefer seats with it.

I've had two LS400s and the seats are sublime.

However, my wife has just picked up her new XC60 (SE Lux edition) and the front seats are AMAZING! In fact, the whole car is stunning in my opinion.

Master
    Jags, Lexus and Bentley GT have all been excellent. BMW ok for short journeys.

Master
    Seats in my F10 5 series are very good

Still think Volvo, although W211 E-Class I've currently got are pretty good too. My old V70 was sublime.

Saab 9000 and 9-5 seats are the best.

Master
    My VW Phaeton ticked all the right boxes, supremely comfortable.

Quite a few of us on here have experienced ownership of many makes of cars, I have to agree that Jaguar are very good, and the seats in the 3 Saabs were nigh on perfect, (if only Saab were still around) BMW and Mercedes were ok, but as a long distance bus we've held on to the V70, 14 years old now and can't fault those heated seats.

After owning two Volvo's they get my vote.

Craftsman
    Just had a BMW X5 as a hire car in the States and the seats were extremely comfortable, and seemed to be very good quality leather. It was my first experience of driving a modern BMW and I was very impressed, although probably not impressed enough to pay the prices they seem to command.

The worst I've ever had were Recaros in a Ford Focus - superb for stopping you from sliding about when driving in a spirited fashion, but very uncomfortable for all but the shortest journeys.

Master
    I also think that Volvo seats are the best when it comes to more or less "stock" seats. My colleague has an 5-series BMW with the quite expensive Comfort-seats and those are great, while the regular BMW seats are not that nice. 3-series sport seats are very sporty and narrow, and I can see how those would not fit everyone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Worst "I own(ed) Jags, Lexus, Porsche and Maserati" humblebrag ever

Paul
    Not at all. These riff-raff all seem to sit in the front of their motor cars.

Master
    Another vote for Saab, followed by Volvo. All the German cars I've had (Merc, Audi, BMW) have been less comfortable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My Z4 m sport seats are fantastic it's the Sport Suspension that spoils it

All the Volvos I've driven have had excellent seats. I actually like ones in old cars like Minis, Healeys and MGs the best, something about not even attempting to be clever. Bizarrely I've never got on with Porsche seats. Everyone's a different shape, they can't be all things to all men.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    All the Volvos I've driven have had excellent seats. I actually like ones in old cars like Minis, Healeys and MGs the best, something about not even attempting to be clever. Bizarrely I've never got on with Porsche seats. Everyone's a different shape, they can't be all things to all men.
    I kind of get where you're coming from with this,, about 15 years back this was my Yorkshire to Henley car and the seats were bloody brilliant.Attachment 9602

Our current X5 has heated full electric comfort seats - just lush.

I had a few saabs (900 2.3s, 9-5 and 9-3) all were extremely comfortable, my wife had a v70 with leather seats fitted with fans to keep you cool in summer, by far the most comfortable for a journey.

I'm a BMW fan and I've always found them comfy, my current 5 has the comfort seats and it's brilliant when you get the settings right, takes some time but excellent for a long trip.

Most uncomfortable seats for me were in the e class merc, dreadful car all round

Master
    Blog Entries
    Saab, I think they were designed by Lear. iMdid have a Cadillac hire car in USA one that has massaging seats, they moved around so you don't get a num bum.

Master
    Volvo again. The S80 seats are superb. A mate of mine had a late model, low mileage Saab 9-3 Vector and the seats were like a saggy old mattress. Maybe the quality went off as the company collapsed? Gave you round shoulders. He now has a Subaru Legacy/Outback - comfy but very little side support.

Surprisingly and not already mentioned, the multi-position Ford Mondeo seats are excellent. Not sure about the cheaper versions which I think lack lumbar padding. I have lumbar problems so these things count.

German seats are generally well formed, but for me at least, usually too hard for long term comfort.

Master
    My Volvo XC60 was very comfortable.

I find my BMW comfortable but it literally took 2 months of playing with the adjustments before I was 100% happy.

Weirdly the most comfortable car seat I have ever sat in was a McLaren F1 road car, not easy to get in and out though.

Renault seats. I wouldn't own another, but the seats are very comfy.

Currently driving a Landrover which is also nice.

Toyota rav 4 was the most uncomfortable I've driven.

My 1981 Renault 16 GTX. Like riding an armchair. The most comfortable car I've ever owned, and quick for its type too. Black Forest to Doncaster in 15 1/2 hours including the Channel crossing. Four up plus luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Citroen BX - without a doubt especially after 150k miles in 3 years.
    Only surpassed by the seats from a CX GTi Turbo series 2......

Last edited by Xantiagib; 28th September 2015 at 08:34.

I find Swedish and French car seats too soft. The most comfortable car I ever owned was a C43 Mercedes - I miss that one. Properly built for crossing continents - an 8 or 10 hour stint was easy, with maybe one quick stop for fuel and a jimmy.

Cheers,

Plug

The seats in my Volvo XC90 are the most comfortable of any car I've owned, including my BMW 3 series. They've even got a built-in massager and fan to blow air through the perforations in the leather. Nice!

Craftsman
    I find the sport seats in my Jaguar XF very comfortable. Far better than the sport seats in my previous 530d BMW.

Journeyman
    Worst would be a Peugeot 307, had a loaner and there was a bar under the front of the seat, unadjustable, really dug into your thighs after two hrs behind the wheel.
    Currently the Alfa 159 Ti seats are fantastic, but Giulietta seats are too short on the thigh

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've parked my bum in a few and I think the best was a 1994 Ford Mondeo. It was middle spec so maybe Recaro?
    Drove to Manchester in it and emerged as relaxed as if I'd just had a three hour massage from nubile blonde virgins.

Oh, almost forgot, Merc 190E takes some beating as well.

currently have a lexus rx and the heated leather seats are sublime , its like wafting around in yer sofa

had a few 3 series and the seats were so so at best , had a c class as a courtesy car a few yrs back and it was pretty good .

brother has a 730 bmw and I don't think the seat are as comfy as me lexus ones .

those new Volvo ones sound pretty good too

Bentley GT seats are very comfortable for long drives, BMW X5 are not!

Volvo before they switched subcontractor (think in 2003 or so). Old man has a v70 xc from -02 and it has the most comfy seats I know of, mind you it feels a bit ancient in most other aspects.

Saab 9-5 seat were fantastic - comfy, warm and adjustable.
    Hyundai coupe were not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Our current X5 has heated full electric comfort seats - just lush.
    Agree with this, the new X3/5 seats are comfy and supportive, hold you well in the corners. Although working in the U.S. A lot I do miss air con seats... Chilling the old cobblers on a hot day ... Lol