closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Faded my Seiko diver's bezel.. *watch abuse, some readers may find distressing*

Faded my Seiko diver's bezel.. *watch abuse, some readers may find distressing*

I picked up this watch new in 2006, it's been all over the world with me and has had a lot of wear. However, as testament to Seiko's legendary durability, the watch had yet to show signs of any patina or aging.

This brings me to this evenings strange behaviour in the kitchen, where I set about fading my bezel insert.

I wanted to "fade" the bezel insert to a nice inky blue colour preferably without removing it from the watch.

I soaked a piece of paper in bleach and very carefully "squidged" just the printed part of the bezel down into the bleach.

Settled on Co-op 24hr bleach after trying Domestos without much fade going on. It takes some time and stronger bleach to "burn" through the laquer coating, then the print starts to fade.

After a total of 5 minutes in the bleach I washed in cold water. Then use some toothpaste on a rag to buff to a smooth finish. Then finally a quick buff with a clean rag.

Gives the watch a slightly different presence. I quite like it.

I may go a little further with it yet, didn't want to totally ruin it on the first attempt.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by TimeOut; 29th September 2015 at 12:56.

Bit more tinkering and tarting this evening, went in for another 2 mins with the bleach.

Quite pleased with it now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Giving this ago later on.
    I don't really want to remove the insert from the bezel so was going to pop it off and drop the whole bezel in face up so I can check progress.
    Anyone know if that's going to harm anything? I'm thinking the insert adhesive.

Thanks

Master
    Blog Entries
    Turns out, it doesn't.

Might give it another dip and go a bit lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    I picked up this watch new in 2006, it's been all over the world with me and has had a lot of wear. However, as testament to Seiko's legendary durability, the watch had yet to show signs of any patina or aging.

This brings me to this evenings strange behaviour in the kitchen, where I set about fading my bezel insert.

I wanted to "fade" the bezel insert to a nice inky blue colour preferably without removing it from the watch.

I soaked a piece of paper in bleach and very carefully "squidged" just the printed part of the bezel down into the bleach.

Settled on Co-op 24hr bleach after trying Domestos without much fade going on. It takes some time and stronger bleach to "burn" through the laquer coating, then the print starts to fade.

After a total of 5 minutes in the bleach I washed in cold water. Then use some toothpaste on a rag to buff to a smooth finish. Then finally a quick buff with a clean rag.

Gives the watch a slightly different presence. I quite like it.

I may go a little further with it yet, didn't want to totally ruin it on the first attempt.

Thanks for reading.

Sorry to be the one to say this > but it looks like you've already ruined it ..... I'd buy another insert asap.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    Sorry to be the one to say this > but it looks like you've already ruined it ..... I'd buy another insert asap.
    I agree.

Why would anyone want to age a modern watch?

It has traveled with you and remains looking excellent - isn’t that enough?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    Totally agree. I suppose the OP could also give the crystal a good buff with some 800 grit wet n dry for the "I brushed it against a drystone wall whilst coming back from pub plastered" look....

But it's his choice ultimately

Thanks for the comments good and bad :) I don't think I'd go as far as scraping it on the wall. My 2254 Seamaster had something like that happen giving a friend a drunken piggy back in 2002 but that's another story!

I guess i'm a sucker for the aged look. My vintage watches are all mechanically tip top but never refinished or tarted up on the outside.

I've several Omega, Heuer, Rolex and Seiko vintage divers that are all fairly clean. However I don't have any divers with patina and wasn't keen to try this on any of my expensive pieces so here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Turns out, it doesn't.
    Might give it another dip and go a bit lighter.
    Looks very uniform and smooth, spot on that :) I reasoned that as bleach is stored in a plastic bottle with rubber seals etc it shouldn't do any harm to the watch 😜

Master
    It strikes me as a rather extreme way to "create" patina, which really should happen naturally over the years.

Almost a little like trying damn hard to make a pair of jeans look faded by using bleach, invariably they just look....wrong.

Just my two pence worth....I'll get my well worn leather jacket on the way out

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    It strikes me as a rather extreme way to "create" patina, which really should happen naturally over the years.

Almost a little like trying damn hard to make a pair of jeans look faded by using bleach, invariably they just look....wrong.

Just my two pence worth....I'll get my well worn leather jacket on the way out
    You're right it is extreme, fake and perhaps bad taste. I'm being impatient doing this I know. Can't stand faded jeans either :)

Thing is, I really wanted a faded bezel divers watch. I go easy on my positions, my job is to have mechanical sympathy and look after mechanical things, this extends to my watches.

I'd had the Seiko 10 years before bleaching it, I'd hoped it might fade a little during that time but it's just too well made. I might fall under a bus tomorrow and never have a faded bezle divers watch! Ok I'm getting carried away now 😜 Sorry!

It's getting a lot of wrist time at the moment. Enjoying it this evening in Corfu..

Craftsman

Faded my Seiko diver's bezel..

Aww dude! You should post a warning on this thread for watch abuse. What a way to treat your poor wee loyal seiko that worked so hard to stay looking great for you! :(

Can I rehome her from you? I'll take good care of her. Don't make me call the RSPCS.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't really have a leaning towards faded bezels, faux or otherwise. However, I've got a couple of spares lying around so I though, why not?

I wear the watch on a black Breitling rubber strap so I'll pick up a blue one and have the set for a little change every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyCol View Post
    Aww dude! You should post a warning on this thread for watch abuse. What a way to treat your poor wee loyal seiko that worked so hard to stay looking great for you! :(

Can I rehome her from you? I'll take good care of her. Don't make me call the RSPCS.
    Warning added! 😀

To reassure the RSPCS; £15 and it can be put back to new.

I also have in my care a 173, 009, 6309, 6139, dive timer, Gen2 Chrono, Bellmatic and 6119 and many more that remain factory fresh and won't be being traumatised in any way.

Last edited by TimeOut; 29th September 2015 at 13:37.

If you dig the wabi-look I'd be happy to swap M726 Scubamaster with you,

Deal?

And back to the theme of fake wabi here's another example, my SKX007.

^^^^
    The J1 looks ace, how did you do the lume and hands?

Looks like the Scuba-Master's had some good use!

^^^^
    The J1 looks ace, how did you do the lume and hands?

Looks like the Scuba-Master's had some good use!
    It was not me that did it but as the story was told to me (by the guy who did it) it was done by use of q-tips and (japanese) soy!

My M726 is in mintish compared to my M725...

Cool Scuba Master, the depth guage function has no doubt seen some action on that one. Maybe I'll try the soy sauce trick.

Your photography skills have shamed me into trying to get some better shots of the 007 😜

Journeyman
    Not sure about the fake damage, but looks great on the mesh!

Great job, I think it looks the mutts.

Great job, I love these faded bezels

Here's mine

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1234 View Post
    Not sure about the fake damage, but looks great on the mesh!
    I agree. That mesh looks good...

Thanks all for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco-T View Post
    Great job, I love these faded bezels

Here's mine

Looks absolutely ace. Is it an 8926OB mod by any chance?

Looks absolutely ace. Is it an 8926OB mod by any chance?
    Thanks, it is. Modded with Dagaz dial and hands, high dome plexi and a aftermarket Rlx insert.

For anyone interested in the mesh, it's one of those £10 jobs from Amazon. It's great for the money, had to modify it slightly by cutting a row off one side and "squeezing" the clasp together slightly with some long plairs to improve security.

The link below shows the exact strap, I ordered mine from a different seller on "Prime", can't find the link for that one but you get the idea..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00VFS67YO?psc=1

Came with 4x 22mm thin spring bars included. Will be modding it for the "fat" Seiko bars this week.

I've worn it this week on holiday, been rock solid during wake boarding, wind surfing, sailing etc.

Journeyman
    Nice! You could bake the dial a few minutes. Tea make nice stains too.

Master
    For anyone interested in the mesh, it's one of those £10 jobs from Amazon. It's great for the money, had to modify it slightly by cutting a row off one side and "squeezing" the clasp together slightly with some long plairs to improve security.

The link below shows the exact strap, I ordered mine from a different seller on "Prime", can't find the link for that one but you get the idea..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00VFS67YO?psc=1

Came with 4x 22mm thin spring bars included. Will be modding it for the "fat" Seiko bars this week.

I've worn it this week on holiday, been rock solid during wake boarding, wind surfing, sailing etc.

I think a set of 1.8mm bars will fit
    Fitted a set on this £7 eBay jobbie

Journeyman
    Nice TST! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Nice! You could bake the dial a few minutes. Tea make nice stains too.
    That's got to be the next stage, you've spured me on!

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I think a set of 1.8mm bars will fit
    Fitted a set on this £7 eBay jobbie
    Lovely TST and thanks for the tip! I did try and open it out a bit, not ideal so I will try some 1.8mm bars.
    Last edited by TimeOut; 12th October 2015 at 22:07.