closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Missing cash and dreadnought

Master

Missing cash and dreadnought

I have a dilemma and wonder what others thought. There was a flood into my flat and a contractor was granted access to it without my permission. Now there is cash missing as well as one of my watch, a Dreanought Voyager. I have other more expensive pieces like IWC, Breitling and Blancpain but they appear undisturbed. I assume they think I might not notice, amongst all my possession.
    Because they have had the keys, it will be impossible to proof any facts. They suggest contacting the police but what course of action will they take apart from filing a report? I have had discussion with the contactor who I don't know and they are looking into it.

Master
    Just about to leave for work, so a short answer. I'd have thought that whoever decided they needed to force entry in to your home and organised the joiner and any other trades, should have been present throughout the time these people were in your home. That would hopefully have avoided this scenario.

So I would be speaking to whoever organised the forced entry.

I think the only thing you can do is report it as a theft to the Police, make a statement of the facts and timescales and circumstances and let them make enquiries if they think its worth it ( they probably won't though ) You will have a crime number if nothing else. Inform the contractors that this is what your intention is. Without making accusations you could maybe suggest if the watch was returned that no further action would be taken?

Assuming the contractor is the suspect then as they had legitimate access then forensics will be uselss. Unless you had the watches in an area or drawer etc that the individual had no reason to open. If so then report to police and guide them on the forensic opportunity.

The police can often blanket update 2nd hand shops with stolen jewellery info. As its an unusual model it should be reasonably simple to identify. Keep your eye on Gumtree and eBay as the police won't.

The contractor may be a known and active criminal so its worth reporting as the police may have more info than you that could prompt their action. The crime number will also facilitate your insurance claim.

You can either keep it quiet or let the individuals know your plan. They are already aware that you have noted the loss so you may as well tell them. As a last ditch consider bluffing that you have internal covert cctv due to the value of your items and if they are not returned anonymously then you will be forced to have the system downloaded. You are on a bit of a losing streak as the items could have been taken by the individual, his friend or anyone else so I wouldn't be too hopeful to be honest.

And change your locks.

Steve

Blog Entries
    As has been already said you will need a crime number if you intend to make an insurance claim and who granted them access without your consent, Landlord, management company?whoever will need informing of your intent probably the best you will get is an insurance payout.

Master
    The cash is in a drawer but they would have moved it whilse redecorating, so no forensic there. The dreadnought is a different matter as it is in the kitchen in plain sight. I didn't expect them to come in and any resonable person would have secured it before contractor comes in, which I have not been told.

Any chance the contractor put it somewhere safe before starting work - ie in a drawer? My wife does this all the bloody time, takes ages to find stuff!

Seriously though, the bluffing ploy worked for me once. Many years ago, I noticed that money was being stolen from my top desk drawer (closed but unlocked) at work. I used to keep loose change in there to pay for lunch and I noticed over a few days that the pound coins (only) were disappearing overnight. After I was sure I had not spent the money, I left a postit note in the drawer with 'Smile you are on camera! Please replace the money or the matter will be reported.' written on it. The next morning I opened the drawer to find a lovely crisp £5 note waiting for me! Turned out to be the cleaners (who came in after hours) as expected.

I would mention to the contractors manager that you have CCTV but it will take you a few days to ' retrieve the video from your server'. You can easily blame technical gremlins for no video turning up. Give them 48 hours, might just work with nothing to lose. Make it clear you will take it no further if the stuff is returned (otherwise he may ditch the watch to avoid getting caught with the goods).

Blog Entries
    hi, the "bluff" idea worked for me, in short we had table and chairs delivered, they were faulty, the company collected them, after a cpuple of days waiting for a refund i contacted them, they said there was no record of collection, dodgy gits.
    her indoors didnt get a collection recipt, anyway what im getting to is that i told them i had hidden cctv and i was in the proccess of sending copies to the police, within an hour the money was refunded.

Master
    One of my clients had twelve 1oz krugerrands go missing during building work. The contractor and his guys denied seeing them and the police were called. The day after the police visit they were "fortunately discovered" in amongst some scrap copper.