closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Polywatch on glasses

Polywatch on glasses

OK, its a long shot....

Has anyone tried poly-watch on scratched up polymer lens glasses.

I have had the same glasses prescription 20 years+ now. 'Actual glass' glasses seem to have fallen out of favour in the 1990s. I have several pairs of plastic/polymer lensed glasses that are a bit (well) scratched up. Problem is I have thrown out the worst scratched examples over the years (as right off's) so any glasses I could experiment on just now are in 'reasonable' condition.

Polywatch works well on my acyrlic crystal watches. Has anyone tried this on jaded polymer lens glasses or will I be the first ?

TT

Don't most specs have anti-reflective coatings,

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Don't most specs have anti-reflective coatings,
    If he had only 1 new pair that he'd scratched,then no,but he has several old pairs he can try on.

Polishing the lens works by removing material from its surface thus distorting it, so you will be forcing your eye to work harder to compensate for any changes you make . Prescription lenses are so cheap now I don't see why you'd bother.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Should have gone to Spec.........

Yup, tried it, this is what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Polishing the lens works by removing material from its surface thus distorting it, so you will be forcing your eye to work harder to compensate for any changes you make . Prescription lenses are so cheap now I don't see why you'd bother.

I tried this very recently, didn't use ploywatch as mine were so bad I would need loads of it, I tried a dilute T-cut compound, and toothpaste, at first it looked like it may be working, but after removing the excess most of the scratches were still there, but it had made the lense misty, I continued with just toothpaste that cleared up the misting a bit, but found the process a bit of a waste of time, as the whole idea was to remove the scratches which it did little of, as stated most lenses come with ant scratch as standard (really I do wonder as mine scratch up dam quick)
    I have used T-cut on the Perspex plastic what ever they made of head lamp cover on modern motors, over a period of time they start to discolour, they came up like new.

I used T-Cut successfully on some glasses. That said they did scratch up again very quickly subsequently so I think I probably removed the anti-scratch coating.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    +1......I considered trying this but realised the likelihood of causing distortion, so I didn't try it. Unless the whole lens can can be treated uniformly, which would be difficult, I wouldn't attempt it.

Paul