closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Cannot understand why Lancaster has dropped Ford and gone route one.

IMHO - Simply to bring on more creative players in the second half - if he needs to.

Remember he has a game against Australia next week as well, and really needs to win both.

wales vs Australia should be a good one as well.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Should be a cracking game..............Hope the ref has a good game, hope nobody freezes...but most of all I hope?

WALES WIN!!!!!!!!!!! come on!!!!!!!

Very close at the moment.

Just one comment. Are the rules for throwing in at a line out different in France? So far the Wales have thrown the ball in straight once!! Yet have only been penalised once.

May's try was sublime. Still not totally convinced by Burgess, but Farrell is a class act.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Good game so far.

If we don't fix our scrum it's game over I'm afraid.

We're just about hanging on at the moment so it's going to take a huge effort to pull it back.

jeff

Banned
    Well played Wales.

Gutted, but respect to Wales, they kept going.

Now on its down to Australia, bonus points and a bit of luck.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Cool

Hahahahhahaha

Master
    Blog Entries

England dumped from a great height

What a fantastic result from Twickenham.

Wales game plan spot on even with enforced changes. England had no answer and their big players failed to deliver - again. In effect the whites snatch a deserved defeat from the jaws of victory.

Oh how the neautrals will have enjoyed that. Has Ben Hur ran away with his chariot? 😀
    Humble Pie and sick bags available if required.

Jeez!

That was close, great game, ref had a good game too. Our set pieces weren't the best...but we somehow hung on....

God knows why Stuart Lancaster took of his number 9 for though? I thought he was having a great game.

England can beat Australia anyway......this is far from over for England......or Wales.......!

Master
    That was odd, I thought England played much better?

Master
    Blog Entries
    What will happen if Australia dump England too?

Has a World Cup host country failed to reach next stage before??

Bloody Hell! Didn't see that coming. At half time I thought we were only just hanging on and would be overwhelmed in the second half.

Trouble is it looks like we've lost three more backs for the tournament...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    If Wales beat Fiji (and at this stage, Wales are probably asking if any fans bought their boots along), then I think it's over for England? No matter who won between Oz and Wales, they'd only have lost one each.

Edit: Actually - England could lose to Oz, but get 2 losing BPs, and will get 5 against Uruguay. If Wales lost to Oz and beat Fiji without bonus points in either, they'd get 4 more points. Maybe there'd still be a chance of qualification
    Last edited by Eoin; 26th September 2015 at 22:25.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post

ref had a good game too.
    I would beg to differ and would give up watching rugby if it was refereed like that every time. Picky is not the word....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    If Wales beat Fiji (and at this stage, Wales are probably asking if any fans bought their boots along), then I think it's over for England? No matter who won between Oz and Wales, they'd only have lost one each.
    Thanks for that Eoin. I don't think Wales would have a shortage of applicants. Their Royal Highneses Prince William and Kate might even ask to play given the huge smiles and major applause they were giving when Wales went ahead and won.

As for potential outcomes of demise for England: The TV pundits didn't seem to want to consider that England could be knocked out of their World Cup after next game, and it certainly wasn't explained.

Very interesting and a bum twitching time for a few then??

Well done again Wales. Great tactics and well executed.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I would beg to differ and would give up watching rugby if it was refereed like that every time. Picky is not the word....
    Shock, horror, Englishman blames ref!
    Not take the 3 points to tie it up, then go for the win.

After a slow start and so much adversity through injury, Wales eventually woke up, worked their magic and showed their passion to WIN!

Well done Wales!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ASK3L View Post
    Aye. As per usual Ask3L. 👍

We wid ne'er dae that noo. Wid wae 😀

Has a World Cup host country failed to reach next stage before??
    I believe it has - 1991 when Wales were beaten by Samoa and failed to get out of the pool.

But it could be England this time. My view was that if we were not good enough to beat Wales and the Aussies we were not good enough to win it. Poor discipline and a few questionable decisions were always going to decide such a close game.

I was however pleased that Farrell went for the win in the final couple of minutes.

Its not over yet, but if England lose to Australia, and the Aussies rest the majority of their team against Wales, Wales would have an excellent chance of a Win, but that still assumes Wales get through Fiji - who might fancy their chances.

A group of death indeed!
    Last edited by Andyg; 26th September 2015 at 22:42.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASK3L View Post
    Er actually I said I couldn't agree the ref had a good game as was far too picky and made no comment on the influence on the outcome.

Anyone who has played rugby understands you can't roll away instantly when you have an 18 stone forward pinning you down.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Andy

A load of possibles and its sport too!! Guess we just need to wait and see.

I'm quite sure the fickle press and media will turn on England now. Very sad. Lancaster for the chop no doubt will be one call. And from being the WC winners before a ball was even kicked, they'll crave a root and branch review of the game. Watch this space.

Sadly it's the extreme arrogance of some eg Woodward, Moore et al, that makes so many turn so strongly on England.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

.......................I was however pleased that Farrell went for the win in the final couple of minutes.................................

Agreed. My 1st thought at the time was 'good on you boys' (my 2nd thought was oh shit!)

If it had come off then it would have won the game. A big call to make with the carrot of the draw dangling.

Great result for us but again at what cost? I expect a few call ups shortly as it looks like Amos is out, Scott didn't look too clever and Sanjay probably out after HIA.

Roll on Fiji. That will be another bruiser and god knows what state we'll be in after that one!

jeff

Craftsman
    What a match! So glad Wales put heart into it and won it, really deserved it.

Going for the win (rather than a try) was reasonable, throwing it to the nearest man and getting pushed out was a cock up.

I hope Wales have enough people to field a team for the remaining matches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Going for the win (rather than a try) was reasonable, throwing it to the nearest man and getting pushed out was a cock up.

IMO: That was very naive with the decision making capability of an idiot. So, which one of the 15 Englishmen out there made it? A laughing stock.

Thank you Andy

A load of possibles and its sport too!! Guess we just need to wait and see.

I'm quite sure the fickle press and media will turn on England now. Very sad. Lancaster for the chop no doubt will be one call. And from being the WC winners before a ball was even kicked, they'll crave a root and branch review of the game. Watch this space.

Sadly it's the extreme arrogance of some eg Woodward, Moore et al, that makes so many turn so strongly on England.

I think it's deeper than Woodward and Moore - it's always been this way since I started playing and watching back in the 60's - we are after all the "old enemy" for the majority of the Home Nations, plus have history with France as well. As for Woodward (and Moore) - just look at their records - they can afford to be arrogant, just as other greats can. I have personally met many of these guys and they are not actually arrogant - they simply believe. Just as any professional sport man has to believe.

Alas England have been the better team on so many occasions, but some how manage to choke at the dead or fail to start quickly enough. I watched England last year (at Twickers) against the All Blacks and they did the same thing - very frustrating.

on the topic of referees, I would love to see the stats on 50/50 decisions which go against England vs other teams. Especially Owens, Walsh and Joubert.

But at the end of the day, we move on and bask in the glow of once being World Champions unlike any other Home Nation team - although it's possible that Ireland might have a shout this year.

Tomorrow, my son plays for Warminster U14 against Bradford on Avon and its actually is a much bigger game in our household. Until next week.

A game for thugs played by Gentlemen.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Er actually I said I couldn't agree the ref had a good game as was far too picky and made no comment on the influence on the outcome.

Anyone who has played rugby understands you can't roll away instantly when you have an 18 stone forward pinning you down.
    If the ref had no influence on the game why point out you didn't agree how he reffed?
    Under orders they are all trying to open/speed up play, not have a wrestling match on the ground half of the game.
    Poor decisions by England in the last few minutes along with not learning and giving the pens cost the win.
    Quite how they lost I've no idea though!

Craftsman
    England can still top the pool, and I think I was wrong earlier - they could still qualify even if they lost to Australia, if Wales lost their next 2.

Wales lose to Fiji and Australia with 2 losing BPs, they finish on 11 points.
    England lose to Australia with a losing BP, England are on 12 points.
    Australia beat Wales with no 4 try BP, they're on 13 points.

Bonus points could well have a big impact, which I didn't think they would as I thought England would win today. Fiji have already denied Australia a bonus point, and Wales could well have emptied the tank today with a short turnaround ahead of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb
    So, which one of the 15 Englishmen out there made it? A laughing stock.
    Have to assume it was Robshaw unless Farrell didn't fancy the kick, which seems unlikely.

Master
    I cant believe we lost to a place that is barely a country............................ Oh the shame!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I cant believe we lost to a place that is barely a country............................ Oh the shame!!
    Nah. There's no shame. Just hearty laughs and sniggering in the corners. Don't take it so seriously.

The other three quarters of the UK are having a field day once again at the other bit of the UK that was going to deliver SO much - and simply failed. Simples. Actually, when I think about it, just as they do most of the time 😀😀😀😀

You could always borrow a line from the Scotland National Anthem whereby "......you will be a nation again??"

Come on Zander. See the funny side. Everybody else is and will for a long long time too 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Master
    I was only joking mate, we played badly and they unusually well. It is what it is.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good on you Z.

It was a fantastic game and a thoroughly enjoyable spectacle.

Have a great weekend.

Warm regards, aye

Jim

Craftsman
    Late to the party after much celebrations! What a game, my nerves are shot.

Well done Wales. Up against it regarding losing players before the tournament even began & during the game last night but still came out on top. It'll take a lot of mental strength for England to recover from that defeat after seemingly being in control at half time.

I can't decide if the ref gave too many penalties or England gave too many away (which has always been a fault). The papers are slating Robshaw for not electing to kick to level the scores, but it was in a very difficult position and I suspect he would still have been slated for the wrong decision if Farrell had kicked and missed.
    There's now added pressure on England having to beat Australia before Wales play them.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 27th September 2015 at 10:42.

I had a fantastic dream about the rugby last night. Oh, hang on, it wasn't a dream, was it?! Happy days!

However, with no players left I am seriously concerned about the Fiji game. We could easily end up losing that (and getting more injuries) and handing the initiative back to England in this group (if they can beat Australia). It's not all over yet!

Master
    Fantastic game last night, I really enjoyed it, and a good atmosphere at the rugby club even though 99% of people there were in England shirts and were clearly disappointed. England still have a good chance though, should be a great game vs Aus next Saturday.

I just watched the highlights again this morning, and it still feels good!

I too am concerned about the further injuries though, and it will get harder to field a full strength team from here on in...

I've got tickets to the Fiji game this Thurs, and nervous as well as excited at the prospect...

Yea over 20 penalties, you try and release the ball with 20 stone + on top of you. Typical Frenchman over fussy, stopped the flow of the game for me.

Its easy to complain about the ref.

Whoever the ref. is, the way he applies the rules of the game, should apply to both teams on the field. Its how they adapt/react/play to him.

Ive not seen or read about any actual players/ managers etc complaining about the ref though? Just a very very small minority of fans.

Personally, I think England can still get through. they will batter Uruguay, they know how to beat the Aussies, Im pretty sure they wont do the same things against the Aussies as they did last night.

Wales though............I can see both the Aussies and Fiji beating us............Thursdays result is mega against the Fijians for us!
    Last edited by valleywatch; 27th September 2015 at 11:08. Reason: spelling!

Too many penalties really, but this game wasn't ever going to be won with tries.

Pharrell had a good game and has obviously matured well with his temperament. Something Mike Brown should take note of

England pack was immense and their defensive line was broken only once in 80 mins.

Wales even being 10 points behind (twice), and with 3 key players off with injuries showed the greater passion and would not give up. Try was sublime.

Biggar a true weapon in all areas.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MuRph77 View Post
    Pharrell had a good game and has obviously matured well with his temperament. Something Mike Brown should take note of
    I don't think he's the sort to learn that kind of thing. He's a great player, but constantly gets involved in handbags for no reason; usually just in time for the big boys to break it up. Shame, he's a quality player, but very unlikeable.

Master
    Great match, even for the uninitiated. Well done Wales.

Quick question: now that South Africa has thrashed Samoa, where does that leave Japan? If they beat Samoa, do they proceed further?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Great match, even for the uninitiated. Well done Wales.

Quick question: now that South Africa has thrashed Samoa, where does that leave Japan? If they beat Samoa, do they proceed further?
    Unlikely to progress unless Scotland implode. But I think that finishing 3rd in the pool means automatic qualification for the next RWC so that'd be a big result on its own, especially as it's being hosted by Japan. Even a win against the USA would be huge. 3 or 4 of the squad weren't even born the last time they won a RWC game, so 2 wins in the one tournament would be good.

Master
    I thought that the hosts of the Rugby World Cup qualified by default? It would be a shame if you couldn't go to your own party!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I thought that the hosts of the Rugby World Cup qualified by default? It would be a shame if you couldn't go to your own party!
    You're dead right, my mistake.

Master
    Blog Entries

Scotland Victorious

Great result for Scotland against USA.

Challenging game which turned at half time. "Game of two halves"

2 wins from 2 games for so-called no hopers.

Other countries would love that stat.

For those interested, Warminster U14 were victorious against Bradford on Avon today - 26-22.

excellent result

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Great result for Scotland against USA.

Challenging game which turned at half time. "Game of two halves"

2 wins from 2 games for so-called no hopers.

Other countries would love that stat.
    It was indeed an impressive second half from Scotland.

They do seem a team on the up under Cotter, a new found confidence. I think they've always had the skill.

The next game against SA will be a sterner rest of where they are.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    It was indeed an impressive second half from Scotland.

They do seem a team on the up under Cotter, a new found confidence. I think they've always had the skill.

The next game against SA will be a sterner rest of where they are.
    Spot on Tooks. Well put!

The real rugby starts then and I fear it's one game too early for the Scots.

Still they started as real no hopers (BBC didn't even mention them in the run up. All chariots and something about swingers or swinging 😂). The Scots though have lit up the stadia they've played in so far and are learning how to boss a game and, more importantly, change their tactics mid game or even half. Let's see what happens again the Box. Theirs nothing to lose really.

Ireland look the real deal for me, they are going to take some stopping!