closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Golf Question

Golf Question

I have a old set of Pro-Series X14 Calloway 3-SW, plus a 5-3 Taylor Made Original Bubble Burner Woods. A set I have owned for about 15 years. Back in the day I was quite handy playing off 11, but that was about 13 years ago and since then play a couple of times a year (still to about 18).

Now, as I approach retirement age, and that my son has started playing I am thinking about upgrading to some new technology.

So my question - can anyone tell me whether is worth investing in a new set (with Hybrid Woods) or is the difference minimal. If so, are there any models/styles people can recommend - BTW I am not good enough for blades.

Many thanks

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Yes is the short answer. Club technology has moved on a fair bit and new clubs will definitely benefit you.
    Hybrids are a matter of opinion and preference. Personally,I just don't get on with them and prefer to use irons all the way up to a 2. The only woods I have are a 3 and a driver,and I rarely use the 3.
    As to a model/style,it will really depend on personal preference and your swing type. See if your local clubs or golf shops are doing and manufacturer fitting days,or just wander down the local American Golf etc and arrange to try some out.
    I use TaylorMade Burner 2.0 wedge to 3 iron, a TaylorMade Rocketbladez 2 iron, Benross RipSpeed Driver and 3 Wood (underrated clubs,by the way...they are very good value with good shafts) and a couple of Cleveland lob wedges.
    When I changed to these from some much older style Pings about three years ago i was amazed at the improvement in both dispersion and distance.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Yes is the short answer. Club technology has moved on a fair bit and new clubs will definitely benefit you.
    Hybrids are a matter of opinion and preference. Personally,I just don't get on with them and prefer to use irons all the way up to a 2. The only woods I have are a 3 and a driver,and I rarely use the 3.
    As to a model/style,it will really depend on personal preference and your swing type. See if your local clubs or golf shops are doing and manufacturer fitting days,or just wander down the local American Golf etc and arrange to try some out.
    I use TaylorMade Burner 2.0 wedge to 3 iron, a TaylorMade Rocketbladez 2 iron, Benross RipSpeed Driver and 3 Wood (underrated clubs,by the way...they are very good value with good shafts) and a couple of Cleveland lob wedges.
    When I changed to these from some much older style Pings about three years ago i was amazed at the improvement in both dispersion and distance.
    Many thanks - I was afraid you might say this. It might explain why I hit a 7 iron about 150 yards and the two guys I was playing with (similar standard) were hitting 165.

I will have a chat with the Pro at my sons GC and see what they have to say.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    I think, playing off 11 previously, you’d be able to manage with your old set, unless you intend to play very regularly.

Instead of the 7 iron, next time, just take a 6.

I’ve just retaken up the hobby after a ten year break and started by hiving my trusty Mizuno irons re-gripped and I’ve treated myself to a new lob wedge.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I don't doubt that he will be able to manage,as will you,but there is no doubt that a newer set of clubs will almost certainly make a difference imho.
    I had about a seven year break and when I started playing again I managed with my old Pings. However,after I invested in a new set of clubs my game improved and,as a result,my handicap dropped several shots within a few months.

Banned
    Agree with all said, even if it’s phycological, new gear does help.

I reckon your x14's will still do the job, they're great irons.
    The real technology advancement is with woods so new woods should be a must. If you don't care about having the latest stuff then get Taylormade woods and hybrids. They bring out new stuff every five minutes which means the previous models go cheap. Hybrids make the game a lot easier so I'd also invest in a hybrid.
    The two tips I always give to anyone buying clubs are 1) buy clubs you like the look of and 2) get the right shaft for your swing.

Banned
    Nothing wrong with older clubs, I've recently went back to a favourite old driver that has been in the loft for years, used it this week to grab 2nd place at the Omega Double Eagle competition which was held at Archerfield Links, I missed only one fairway all day. Saying that You can never have enough equipment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    The real technology advancement is with woods so new woods should be a must. If you don't care about having the latest stuff then get Taylormade woods and hybrids. They bring out new stuff every five minutes which means the previous models go cheap. Hybrids make the game a lot easier so I'd also invest in a hybrid.
    The two tips I always give to anyone buying clubs are 1) buy clubs you like the look of and 2) get the right shaft for your swing.
    Deffo get fitted out to gain the correct shafts, very important.

Go and visit a pro who maybe has Trackman or something similar.

Good luck

Master
    Blog Entries
    Reference only hitting a 7 iron 150 whilst the other guys hit their modern clubs 165... Have a look at the loft and shaft length of the modern irons compared to your X14's.
    Whilst materials and technology may have moved on to a degree, the tendancy in the pursuit of distance and power has been for the manufacturers to jack up the lofts on their irons (i.e make them stronger so a 7 iron is basically a 6 iron loft these days) and then add an extra quarter or half inch to the shaft length so all of a sudden what you have in your hand bears no relationship to a 7 iron from back in the day AND THAT my friend is in reality where the extra 15-20 yards come from!!!.
    I personally feel that by far the biggest improvement in golf in recent years have been the advances made in custom fitting and the choice of shafts available. The technology and science that goes into this is well worth the small amount of investment to ensure you actually end up with a set of clubs specific to your needs. Find a reputable fitting centre that carries all the makes you are interested in and just see the different data you get from "trackman" etc and watch how your spin rate, trajectory, ball carry etc changes as you move from iron to iron and shaft to shaft, it's amazing and I would never buy "off the shelf" again if you have played off 11 before.
    Of course, once you know the specs that suit you there is nothing stopping you looking on golfbidder, ebay etc to find a secondhand bargain.
    Always been a Mizuno forged iron man myself but if Callaway is your thing then the Apex irons certainly caught my eye when they came out as the look was more traditional. I hit X Hot pro 2's on a demo day last year and they were nice but nothing like the feel of a forged iron obviously.
    As said above, Woods have really come along over the years and the ability to move weight and adjust loft "on the fly" is probably the biggest change you will notice. Personally I was cynical at first but I am now on my third Taylormade Driver with moveable weight technology as I think they are fantastic... again I was custom fitted for this and did find that a quite expensive shaft made a fair difference to my numbers when looking at the trackman data.
    Finally, putters come in many strange shapes, designs, sizes and lengths these days. Might I suggest taking a look at some of the Odyssey range?. I am a big fan of my 2 ball tank with counterweight shaft. Still love my traditional Scotty Cameron when the greens are very quick though and will never part with it.
    Good luck and enjoy playing again.

Master
    Yes keep the irons but a new driver 3 and 5 wood and some sort of hybrid and maybe a couple of wedges is a good idea.

I went for a new iron fitting recently and after I tried some fitted pings and a few other makes i was still hitting my 12 year old iron as well.

Maybe get the irons regripped, if you have big hands then go for a midsize grip they have really helped me

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    More or less spot on. X14s fine and probably replace the 3I with a hybrid. A newer driver and 3 wood should do you well to get back into it, with the same flex as your irons.
    I would normally say get the clubs fitted but as you are coming back I'd leave it a bit to see how you get on and get the swing going again.
    Nothing wrong with 150 from a 7Iron if it was on the short stuff, unless it was downhill, downwind on a cart path!

Master
    Some really good advice in this thread

The X14 pro series are great clubs and can keep up in distance terms with almost anything on a like for like loft basis. That's not to say they fit you and if distance is lacking it might be the shafts are too stiff or heavy for you. Getting this right is every bit as important as the heads and you need advice on that to check.

Technology has moved on far more in woods albeit they are pretty much maxed out now in development so don't be afraid to save a fortune by buying last years model as companies like Taylormade release 2 or even 3 new variants of each line each year which kills the value of previous models. Ping or Titleist hold their value far better as they are on a 2 year product cycle

I still have a set of X14 pro series irons that I must have had for 15 years and still use them from time to time albeit have countless other sets. But I wouldn't dream of using the bubble woods or anything else from that vintage, they are way behind current standards. I would look at a Ping g series driver as a start - you won't believe how big they look but you also won't believe how much easier they are to hit consistently

Master
    Rather than start a new thread, what is a good golf forum?

Blog Entries
    And I was thinking the VW variety.

When asked if I play I always say "I will know when I am old enough to play golf because i will drive a silver Merc'

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    And I was thinking the VW variety.

When asked if I play I always say "I will know when I am old enough to play golf because i will drive a silver Merc'
    And coming from a Norwich City fan most will understand how little weight that statement carries! :-)