closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch dealers Hatton garden

Master

Watch dealers Hatton garden

Hello again everyone,
    Forgive me for the topic that might have been discussed previously.
    A colleague of mine would like to buy himself a "new" watch and we are planning a visit to Hatton garden to have a look on what's on offer, I'm steering him towards a 36mm datejust and I might get myself one too. I only "know" one dealer there, Mr Pandeli. Can anyone suggest any other shops for a newbie like me? Basically someone who is not going to take advantage of my lack of knowledge and is not going to massively overcharge us.
    Thank you in advance for your advice.

Go and see Dominic www.hackettwatches.com

A relentlessly reliable and enthusiastic chap who if he doesn't have what you want in stock, can get it for you very quickly either pre-owned or new.

His prices for new Rolex will be better than you can possibly negotiate yourself.

Journeyman
    Mr Pandell (pandy) is no longer there but the watch guys opposite where he was have a vast selection of Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulliner86 View Post
    Mr Pandell (pandy) is no longer there but the watch guys opposite where he was have a vast selection of Rolex.
    At city-boy-bonus day money ;)

Master
    Thanks yeti.
    Mulliner, I've seen Pandeli less than 2 months ago, what's happened to him? Only asking as I kinda liked his sense of humour.
    Any more recommendations?

Master
    What about Kerry at blowers Matfair

Master
    I've just checked blowers' website. They seem a tad on the dear side to me.

As you know Pandeli is a good guy when you get chatting with him. Likes to try and give "trade" prices. He's got a nice speedy for £1500 at the moment.

Spoke to him for 45 minutes on Friday. Perhaps he's moved, currently in Boutique 36.

Paris Jewelers on the corner across the road have some nice bits.

Also "The Watch Guys" down stairs in The Heart Jewelery Emporium have stacks of interesting pieces. 5512 Sub, Tudor Subs, 1680, Red Sub the list goes on. Prices are ok, but they will come down. Nice titanium Americas cup Omega £1600 on Monday.
    Last edited by TimeOut; 16th September 2015 at 16:35.

Master
    Thank you very much TimeOut

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    They are up for a deal though ;)

Thank you very much TimeOut
    No problem.

PM me if you need his details. He also has a website supreme watches but it requires a log in for trade only.

Let us know how you get on.

Master
    I will let you know. Hopefully I'll have a reason to post some new pictures! Should go on the 30th if all goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    No problem.

PM me if you need his details. He also has a website supreme watches but it requires a log in for trade only.

Let us know how you get on.
    I just went on - no login needed?

http://www.supremewatches.co.uk/product-category/rolex/

Grand Master
    You get what you pay for! And I'm sure if you mention TZ we will look after you!!
    RIAC

Another big thumbs up for Dominic at Hackett Watches as he is the only one I have had dealings with.
    Heard Blowers are excellent too!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Sorry I'm viewing on an IPhone and couldn't get on from the start page.

Thanks for posting.

Sorry I'm viewing on an IPhone and couldn't get on from the start page.

Thanks for posting.
    No worries - prices seem pretty much what I would expect from a bricks and mortar establishment, don't see any bargains TBH.

No worries - prices seem pretty much what I would expect from a bricks and mortar establishment, don't see any bargains TBH.
    I was a the start of a work trip to Italy earlier and was struggling to post or view the site properly so apologies.

See what you mean judging from the website.

It's not a bricks and mortar establishment, rather just a small kiosk in a Jewelery emporium.

Several Rolex, Cartier etc on display. If you get chatting he pulls out pieces from the safe, including a very nice TT plastic GMT just over £3k and a nice Speedy 1861 for £1500. I'm potentially going back to do a trade with the GMT when I'm back from the work trip.

Interesting chap to speak to about the watch trade in general, endless stories from a lifetime trading Rolex in London.

Craftsman
    Dom is a good guy, not brought a watch but a nice diamond ring ! Hi Dom if your reading

I was a the start of a work trip to Italy earlier and was struggling to post or view the site properly so apologies.

See what you mean judging from the website.

It's not a bricks and mortar establishment, rather just a small kiosk in a Jewelery emporium.

Several Rolex, Cartier etc on display. If you get chatting he pulls out pieces from the safe, including a very nice TT plastic GMT just over £3k and a nice Speedy 1861 for £1500. I'm potentially going back to do a trade with the GMT when I'm back from the work trip.

Interesting chap to speak to about the watch trade in general, endless stories from a lifetime trading Rolex in London.
    I am sure this is so - never met the guy BTW.

I alluded to one of the issues with the London watch market with my 'Burlington Arcade' post a few days ago - lots wrong with some of the vintage pieces and they know some of the clientele are not that knowledgable in the subtleties of the minefield known as the vintage Rolex market. One of the dealers has them in the window as 'Pick your Birth Year' now if ever that was designed to do nothing more that take money of an old romantic with more money than knowledge....

I am sure this is so - never met the guy BTW.

I alluded to one of the issues with the London watch market with my 'Burlington Arcade' post a few days ago - lots wrong with some of the vintage pieces and they know some of the clientele are not that knowledgable in the subtleties of the minefield known as the vintage Rolex market. One of the dealers has them in the window as 'Pick your Birth Year' now if ever that was designed to do nothing more that take money of an old romantic with more money than knowledge....
    Watch collecting seems to have a bit of a warhammer/games workshop vibe at times which I think can put people off. I'm sure that's how the staff in Burlington et al see us when we wonder in scowling.

I've tried those places once or twice and always felt the need to leave quite quickly, certainly wouldn't get into any conversations about choosing my birth year Rolex.

They are making healthy margins on these pieces and are then tight as a nuns sn*tch when you try and haggle.

Once attempted to buy a fairly cheap 5513 from Watchfinder just to get rid of a couple of unwanted pieces. Sadly the watch turned out to be a complete mess, totally worn out with an incorrect crystal and the wrong hands.

I was offered a 5500 Explorer recently that was sadly a re dialed Air King from the early 70s.

There's a 1680 in "The Watch Guys" with the wrong crystal (no cyclops) and new hands. It's £4k and is a pukka watch, wouldn't accuse them of trying to reinvent the wheel with their pricing but wouldn't buy it either.

They have to get rid of these wrong uns somewhere. It's no wonder that they filter through to London to be hoovered up by non watch anoracs who fall in love with their charms and idiosyncracies.

I'm always on the look out for old school watch dealers selling honest pieces at a fair price. Not many left these days.
    Last edited by TimeOut; 16th September 2015 at 21:31.

I'm always on the look out for old school watch dealers selling honest pieces at a fair price. Not many left these days.
    Not many in London, however there are some elsewhere. Mike wood at theoldwatchshop.com is a top bloke as are a few members on this site. However they typically deal in the best examples of vintage pieces so not cheap when compared with some of the rubbish you see in London.

Blowers are a very good bet for newer examples - as people say you pay for what you get.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

They do good business (for them) since the footfall that buy have little or no interest in the intricacies of what is original or franken.

Tourist majority with big money who are 'courted' well and are made 'aware' of the market.....

Master
    And so it happens that my colleagues have decided for two very different reasons to put their purchases on hold!
    To console myself I've finally taken this out of the box:

And onto my wrist:

Off to get links removed in central London!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Not many in London, however there are some elsewhere. Mike wood at theoldwatchshop.com is a top bloke as are a few members on this site. However they typically deal in the best examples of vintage pieces so not cheap when compared with some of the rubbish you see in London.

Blowers are a very good bet for newer examples - as people say you pay for what you get.
    Just saw this. Thanks for the tip, some nice pieces on the site, honest descriptions and reasonably priced.

And so it happens that my colleagues have decided for two very different reasons to put their purchases on hold!
    To console myself I've finally taken this out of the box:

And onto my wrist:

Off to get links removed in central London!
    What a stunner. Your mate might want something packing a bit more punch than a 36mm DJ now he's seen that!

Journeyman
    Another big thumbs up for Dominic at Hackett Watches from me too , having bougth two new watch from him

That's very nice, what's the RRP now and has the list price actually been reduced ?

Master
    I bought it from an AD in Italy. €22910. No discount, not even the €10. Not sure of UK price.

Another recommendation for Dom Hackett. Thoroughly nice guy and completely trustworthy.