closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: mobile phone insurance

Master

mobile phone insurance

as per my other thread i'm thinking about getting an iPhone on a 2year contract and would like to insure it just incase as it obviously needs to last 2 years but through vodafone it will cost £12.99 which smarts a bit, so has anybody found decent insurance through another source thats worth looking at?
    I did look at protect your bubble but after reading some reviews it looks like this may be a very bad idea.
    I know a few banks offer it with managed accounts as i already have one of these with HSBC and although it gives me lots of benefits it unfortunately doesn't include phone cover

Craftsman
    We added ours onto our house insurance for not a lot of money. Definitely worth looking into.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by castle View Post
    We added ours onto our house insurance for not a lot of money. Definitely worth looking into.
    i did wonder about this but if you made a claim would you not have to declare it as a house insurance claim and risk your home contents going up at renewal?

My kids drop/break/lose/submerge their mobiles on an all too frequent basis.

Although they do like the t's crossed and the i's dotted during the claim procedure, Protect-your-bubble have replaced three or four (or perhaps even more?) handsets of ours in the last couple of years.

NFU home contents cover mobiles - and won't increase if you claim
    NatWest Advantage Gold account has mobile insurance amongst other things (Travel Insurance, Death Cover, Green Flag vehicle cover) and it's just under £15 a month

Free with Lloyds account. Although £50 excess.

Master
    Of course you could get a real phone simlock-free for half the price of an iPhone plus a sim-only contract with an unlimited or heavyweight data plan that in some cases need not run longer than a month, for less than 20 pounds per month and you won't end up paying through the nose for two years. Of course if it's a matter of terrible want and you can't get the newest iPhone any other way, well... either insure it or be prepared to buy another, cheaper phone to replace it when it inevitably breaks. By that time you may be over your love affair with the thing anyway so replacing it with a half-decent simlock-free Android will not be a disaster...

Craftsman
    Insurance through third parties are always a pain from experience. If you stick with the networks insurance you are covered for loss which some third parties do not - so check the small print.

The other benefit from using your networks insurance you usually get a replacement within 48 hrs. Versus a third party claim that can take a few weeks

mobile phone insurance

Try CUSC.

I use them, its about 6 quid per month and I have made 1 claim - no hassle

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Try CUSC.

I use them, its about 6 quid per month and I have made 1 claim - no hassle
    Do you recall the excess? Was it in iphone? Just checked out there website and they look reasonable.

mobile phone insurance

50 quid if I remember righty. It was about 3 years ago

That was for a iPhone 4 and I now have a 5 and a 4s insured with them

I have all of ours insured with protect your bubble, for less than the cost of insuring one with 02. My daughter has needed three new screens, but I've paid £8 a time on eBay and swapped it myself - it's easy. I'm more worried about loss or theft, and they're covered for that.

Master
    My partner had her iPhone skilfully pickpocketed the other day. It wasn’t insured and she’d like to insure the new incumbent, an iPhone 6S. The network provider’s insurance is pretty steep - I think about £12 or £15 per month. She’s looking at 3rd party insurance. Can anyone that has had a phone stolen / lost and replaced recommend a provider?
    Another option is via her bank but I see the small print says something like “phone must have been securely locked away for a claim to be considered”.

My own feeling is that third party providers are a bunch of chancers and that you’d be better off either going with the network / phone provider or “saving” the money and self-insuring. Am I wrong?

flexplus banking. 10/month includes world travel ins cover, world mobile phone cover for all the family, free extended warranties on electrical goods etc and car breakdown cover.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Home contents insurance usually covers this doesn't it? Mine does anyway. Check the policy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castle View Post
    This

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    flexplus banking. 10/month includes world travel ins cover, world mobile phone cover for all the family, free extended warranties on electrical goods etc and car breakdown cover.
    One of the options my partner is asking about is that very account, as she is with Nationwide. While reviews of the service seem to be good, it’s difficult to find reports of successful claims and how good they are at actually paying out.

I think it comes down to that or going with the network. Protect-my-bubble and co sound like a bunch of crooks: lots of excellent Feefo reviews, mostly about how easy it is to sign up, but when you google for reports of actual claims they don’t look so good.

Apprentice
    I've made 1 successful claim via nationwide. Excess for iPhone is 100 £ ans all others is 50£.

I think all banks and carphinewarehouse use lifestyle services group for phone insurance so all will be equally good or bad.

It is worth checking what products your bank offers. We insure our "gadgets" through Barclays "additions Plus" We also get breakdown cover, travel insurance etc which makes it worth it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Just opened the very same account specifically to cover all the mobiles in our household.

Master
    house insurance. No brainer

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    One of the options my partner is asking about is that very account, as she is with Nationwide. While reviews of the service seem to be good, it’s difficult to find reports of successful claims and how good they are at actually paying out.
    Ask NW who provides the insurance and then check their defaqto rating.
    I've used flexplus for a few years and I think it's a great product.
    I don't think NW would want to compromise the overall quality of the product in such a competitive market place by using fly by nights for one of their insurance providers. They would be the first ones to get the flak from their customers and they would soon start losing business as a result.
    The travel insurance and motoring assistance services they use are not ' cheapy add ons' but quality products in their own right. I dont know much about their phone cover but I guess it's of a similar quality
    Last edited by seikopath; 13th December 2015 at 10:23.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fschwep View Post
    Of course you could get a real phone simlock-free for half the price of an iPhone plus a sim-only contract with an unlimited or heavyweight data plan that in some cases need not run longer than a month, for less than 20 pounds per month and you won't end up paying through the nose for two years. Of course if it's a matter of terrible want and you can't get the newest iPhone any other way, well... either insure it or be prepared to buy another, cheaper phone to replace it when it inevitably breaks. By that time you may be over your love affair with the thing anyway so replacing it with a half-decent simlock-free Android will not be a disaster...
    The very best of.... cool story bro.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    house insurance. No brainer
    Someone mentioned this further up and I am also intrigued but if you were to make a claim could it affect your house insurance premiums?

Quote Originally Posted by chard101 View Post
    Someone mentioned this further up and I am also intrigued but if you were to make a claim could it affect your house insurance premiums?

Might any claim effect household insurance?

Master
    Free with my Barclays Premier account, £20-20 excess IIRC. I have used it - managed to drop a 2 week old S6 onto the patio floor smashing the screen. Excellent service, total turn around was about 4 days.

Edited to add, not technically 'free' - think I pay a few quid a month for gadgets cover. Still a good service though.