closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Online back-up/storage recommendations

Craftsman

Online back-up/storage recommendations

Hi,

Would appreciate advice on which online storage to consider for personal use.

Thanks

Journeyman
    Are there any requirements or features you need? Sharing, syncing with other services, file versioning, collaboration tools, security & encryption, in terms of photos etc.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shania176 View Post
    Are there any requirements or features you need? Sharing, syncing with other services, file versioning, collaboration tools, security & encryption, in terms of photos etc.
    Hi,

Mainly sharing and security.

I use the one we sell at work, , 2tb for 5 years £60.. can sync to 5 devices.

Master
    I use spider oak at the time I felt the security model was one of if not the best out there.
    The encryption keys live on the devices not on the vendor servers which means if you lose / forget you key then the data is unavailable but the vendor has zero access to your data.

I think it's pricey compared to over options but we use it for my wife's business too and security is key

Banned
    Blog Entries
    it really depends on how much you need, most ISP's provide with at least 5 gig free, onedrive with office 360 gives you 10 gig I believe, maybe more.

if you need more then as above, get a quote for a period for set size, £10 per year is a good start for 50 gig I would say

Have a look at Carbonite. The home user package is fantastic value and I've actually backed up fully from it twice now. I also get full access to my files from mobile devices.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Have a look at Carbonite. The home user package is fantastic value and I've actually backed up fully from it twice now. I also get full access to my files from mobile devices.
    I shall have a look myself at them Tony, I am not that happy with my current set up, my data is currently scattered over maybe three providers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PS View Post
    Hi,

Would appreciate advice on which online storage to consider for personal use.

Thanks
    I use ARQ, have for the last few years. My favorite part is that it works with absolutely zero input from me, I can't forget to do it and its always up to date.

The software is a one time purchase (per version anyway) of $39.99, and then I just pay for storage from my preferred cloud service. I already had a Amazon S3 acct for another purpose, and it runs me $11 mo. for the storage for both this and my other project. I set my folks and a few other family members up with accounts on Google drive, and those are free for up to 15GB.

http://www.haystacksoftware.com/arq/

I use CrashPlan and Backblaze to backup my MacBook Pro. I also backup all my photos to SmugMug although this isn't an automated process.

Craftsman
    Thank you.

I will look into carbonite.

I opted for Dropbox. Fuss-free photo storage (full size not like Amazon's cheat file reduction) and any other folders you nominate, shared/public folder, auto upload. 1TB for £79pa. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...AG0531-02.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    it really depends on how much you need, most ISP's provide with at least 5 gig free, onedrive with office 360 gives you 10 gig I believe, maybe more.

if you need more then as above, get a quote for a period for set size, £10 per year is a good start for 50 gig I would say
    Might be wrong as I get mine through work but think a 365 account gets you 1TB of cloud storage now which given the software you get as well if you need the programs the storage is a nice add on.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just signed up to Carbonite on Tony's recommendation, for $49/year for unlimited back up space, this was crucial for me as I have around 3 TB's of family photos and video, I had them scattered across many different free ones, but I was getting confused with what I had backed up (or not)

it is currently doing a first back up at the moment, then it will sit and monitor the back up folder for any changes, perfect.

^^^ Can't go wrong. The first backup can obviously take a while, but subsequent incremental backups are unnoticeable.