closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 months since the last SOTC, so...

9 months since the last SOTC, so...

Well, it's been a while and I'm not going anywhere this slightly gloomy Saturday. There have also been a few changes since the end of last year. Anyway, let's start with the vintage...

Mid-1970’s Heuer Autavia 2446C GMT

I've had a couple of amazing Heuer GMT's in the past, but I always fancied the 2446C as I think the case is a bit more wearable (especially if you're clumsy!). I saw this one advertised on Instagram, of all places, but knew the seller from the Rolex Forum and VRF. This beauty had one previous owner, who was a retired Heuer watchmaker.

Mid-1970’s Heuer Montreal 110.53 NC

The second Heuer is the very underrated Montreal, again from the mid-seventies. This is actually the second one I've owned - I always regretted selling the first as I LOVE this model, so I just badgered Foxy until he sold me his. As you can see, the patina is to die for.

1981 Rolex Submariner 5513

This Mark IV Maxi really is one of the best 5513's I've ever seen, and is certainly the best I've ever owned. I have a list as long as your arm of people wanting to buy it, but it's going nowhere; it's also seen both sea and pool action as it's watertight to spec and... well, it's a diver!

1965 Bulova Accutron Astronaut Type 1

This watch, a hummer, is quite amazing in that it came as a full set (including purchase receipt), which really is incredibly rare. As you can see, it also has the most wonderful patina and a flawless dial, so it's rather special in my opinion. I wear this most weekends, although Bea has been pesterng me for it since it arrived.

1978 Seiko 7549-7010

This is another watch that I really love, although I have a soft spot for the Tuna anyway. I've yet to see a better one, and as this has been serviced and pressure tested in the recent past it's also seen a bit of pool action. A firm favourite.

1977 Seiko 6138-0040

I wrote an incoming post about this recently, which - after being fitted with a now impossible to find NOS bezel - is probably the best example you'll find anywhere. The Bullhead design is a bit mad, really, but I rather like it!

1978 Seiko 6306-7001

I've had countless 6309's, of course, but always wanted the JDM 6306 with it's hacking/handwinding (and slightly superior) movement. Finding them in this condition is difficult, and I reckon I waited a couple of years for one to turn up.

That's it for the vintage, so on to the modern...

2011 Glashutte Original Senator Perpetual Calendar

I've had this for about two and a half years now, slightly longer than my 5513. It came under pressure recently from a JLC PC but it's purity of form and unsurpassed quality of finish won the day. I realised then, in fact, that this is another watch that won't be going anywhere.

2013 Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167/A

A couple of years ago I had to decide between an Aquanaut and an APRO, and chose the latter. I know now that - wonderful though the APRO is - I should have gone with my gut instinct. This is, in my opinion, the ultimate in modern sports watches... the rubber strap is also an absolute joy. A long termer, this one!

2014 Moser Mayu Marrone

Mosers are very hard to describe to anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of handling one - I doubt, though, that anyone makes watches to a higher standard and quality. Whenever I wear this I find myself staring at it, and the white gold case just adds another dimension in terms of both hue and heft. It really is a stunner.

2014 Grand Seiko SBGR061

I'm a big fan of Grand Seiko, both modern and vintage. Until recently I owned two modern variants in the knowledge that only one would stay... and it proved to be this one, the watch I got married in. Mesmerising dial, supreme quality, and the perfect simple three-hander.

2014 Panerai PAM337

I bought this new from an AD the best part of two years ago now, and it's the fifth Panerai that I've owned. The reason this one stuck is the size (at 42mm and with "wire" lugs, it's perfect for me) and the sheer adaptability. I love it dressed up, and I love it equally dressed down... in fact, aside from the Aquanaut it's probably the most versatile watch I've ever owned. The in-house movement is a bonus too, and Bea is now strongly hinting that she wants me to buy her a rose gold Radiomir!

2009 Breitling B-1 A78362

There's always room for a good ana-digi in a watch collection, and this super-quartz B-1 has to be up there with any serious contenders. They're quite hard to find now as most owners simply hang onto them; it's also a very different proposition to, say, an Aerospace but to my mind a far more serious watch.

2003 Sinn EZM1

This is another watch that I waited about three years for. However, the funny thing is it's also the precise watch that I bought for the first time a couple of years ago, and then found I had to return to the seller as there were some minor issues with it. I only realised that I'd bought it once again - this time following a full service and spa from Sinn - after I looked at the paperwork that came with it. And no, it's not for sale!

So, that's it then - 14 watches, and probably more than I'm comfortable owning. I should add that, whilst I've had a reputation for being a serial flipper, the average length of time I've had these watches as of today's date is 10 months. That doesn't sound like a flipper to me, especially as a few of them a pretty new arrivals. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the pictures
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th September 2015 at 22:04.

Beautiful watches, beautiful pictures

Proper collection that. They all have a lot of gravity but the H.Moser, just, exerts the strongest pull on me.

Paul

Tony many congratulations

Over the years I have seen many incoming threads from you and have always marvelled not only out your deceptive work at tracking a piece down, but also your choice of timepieces.

With a collection like that, I don't think that there is much out that can touch it.

Great variety and stunning condition.

Wonderful collection.

Nice that it just doesn't consist of forum 'favourites'. My collection consists largely of quartz these days but some of your mechanicals are tempting to me indeed and in such lovely condition as well.

Well done!

Mitch

Craftsman
    That's a great, SOTC.

Thanks for sharing your fab collection

Master
    That's made my day! Beautiful!

stunning collection tone, i must come round to tony towers again for another fondle!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Lovely groupy and excellent pic's as always.

I bet the whole idea of this SOTC thread was in the hope of a fondle off 'Dave Nice Hands'.

Have an enjoyable gloomy Saturday guys

Another great collection and lovely photos. My favourite has to be the PP but I do love that Autavia and the Montreal.
    It's great to see how your collection has varied over time, you've always got some really special pieces - there must be though some you regret selling.
    I was wondering, out of all the watches you've had and still own Tony, what would be your ultimate top ten selection?

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Another great collection and lovely photos. My favourite has to be the PP but I do love that Autavia and the Montreal.
    It's great to see how your collection has varied over time, you've always got some really special pieces - there must be though some you regret selling.
    I was wondering, out of all the watches you've had and still own Tony, what would be your ultimate top ten selection?
    Oh, Billy - that's a very, very difficult question to answer (particularly as I've not owned a lot of them, and don't like to pontificate from a position of ignorance). However, there are a good few that I wish I'd kept having moved them on in the past, and I could probably make a bloody good top ten from all my own watches, past and present!

Master
    Amazing collection!!!

If you ever wish to sell that 1977 Seiko 6138-0040, give me a shout. It's my birth year watch ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

Oh, Billy - that's a very, very difficult question to answer (particularly as I've not owned a lot of them, and don't like to pontificate from a position of ignorance). However, there are a good few that I wish I'd kept having moved them on in the past, and I could probably make a bloody good top ten from all my own watches, past and present!
    Sorry Tony that's what I meant, out of the ones you've owned already. Still a tough question though I'd imagine as you've had quite a few over the years!

Master
    I just love the vintage pieces. The 5513 and Heuers are lustworthy creatures. But that Sinn is pretty special too.
    Great SOTC post.

Craftsman
    I always enjoy your STOC posts. You have a beautiful collection.

Craftsman
    I have to say, really beautiful pieces you have there. Anyone of these watches would be star of some smaller collection, well done

It also helps that they are fantastically presented, really good job taking the proper photos

Master
    A very balanced collection. One for every occasion

Master
    Hoofing collection Sir, and fantastic pics.

Craftsman
    Stunning, eclectic collection - great to see!

Do you mind me asking why the FOIS moved on? I am thinking of getting one so keen to find out anything good or bad from owners.

Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    Stunning, eclectic collection - great to see!

Do you mind me asking why the FOIS moved on? I am thinking of getting one so keen to find out anything good or bad from owners.
    I don't mind at all. It's a wonderful watch, and to my mind still the best of the modern variants; however, just as I was concluding that I probably prefer vintage (not necessarily too vintage, probably a 145.022 from the 90's with a nice tritium dial) I happened to notice Thom's WTB. I regarded it as a sign!

Blog Entries
    Great collection their Tony - and as always superb photography. Some of those I know, some I know nothing about - maybe you could add extensive reviews into the 'review' section for these pieces?

I love that 5167/A - maybe something for the retirement present for self . . . to complement the 5146/J

Martyn

Journeyman
    I do like the Mid-1970’s Heuer Montreal 110.53 NC

Really really nice.

Journeyman
    Just stunning and very versatile collection. H. Moser obviously the star, but really liked the Autavia GMT too.

Lovely, Tony. All of them but the Heuers are my favorite.

Craftsman
    I don't mind at all. It's a wonderful watch, and to my mind still the best of the modern variants; however, just as I was concluding that I probably prefer vintage (not necessarily too vintage, probably a 145.022 from the 90's with a nice tritium dial) I happened to notice Thom's WTB. I regarded it as a sign!
    Thanks Tony - all makes perfect sense and you have plenty of great watches to keep you busy in any case!

Blog Entries
    Great post and collection.

Interesting that you have move away from vintage SS Rolex.

My favourite is actually the PAM.

Thanks for posting.

What a fantastic looking collection, a nice balance between modern and vintage.

As others have said, Moser is the star for me as well... I suppose the time has come for me to start looking.

Master
    Thoroughly enjoyed looking at and reading about these great watches.

scooter

Great post, that Heuer Autavia GMT is absolutely stunning. And the collection as a whole is definitely something to aspire to.

Love the Autavia although my son has had a thing for Sinn watches for sometime.

Hi Tony

Great post (pics) & lovely collection of Watches....my pick of the bunch is the Autavia 2446C GMT

Sadly lacking in the (Vintage) Omega department....a Speedmaster or sm300 would 'shoe horn' in very well....this sort of thing:

Speak soon....

Best - Neil

Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    Hi Tony

Great post (pics) & lovely collection of Watches....my pick of the bunch is the Autavia 2446C GMT

Sadly lacking in the (Vintage) Omega department....a Speedmaster or sm300 would 'shoe horn' in very well....this sort of thing:

Speak soon....

Best - Neil
    You cheeky blighter, Neil...

Always interesting to see how your collection evolves, Tony. I love the look of the Bulova and the perfect description for the 5167, I agree, entirely.

Regards

John

Master
    Stunning collection and photos.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That GMT Heuer....goosebumps...
    With That said, I quite fancy your collection. Very very nice watches.
    A Moser has been on my wish list for a long time....
    Thanks for the photos and the anecdotes :)

Lovely watches, all of them. I appreciate the quality of the Moser, but the GS is the one that sings to me. I never really understood the attraction of the 6306 over the 6309, but it's a stunning example nonetheless. Do you happen to have a wristshot of the bullhead? I like them a lot in pictures, but always wonder what they are like to wear.

I think the aquanaut is my favourite here, Tony. But the real success is in the collection as a whole IMO- each one serving a purpose and being interesting in their own right

Master
    Now that's a mighty fine collection, some lovely pieces there.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I truly envy your collection Tony, the WIS maturity is very strong in this one.

Nice! Great and varied collection. Must take ages to pick one every morning.

JDM is a cracker!

Lovely collection, always good to see an EZM1.

Very photographed too.

Thank you all for such lovely responses to yet another SOTC... I appreciate they can become a bit tedious after a while but as I like to see other peoples collections I assume I'm not unique in that respect.

Anyway, some vary diverse reactions in terms of favourites, which is interesting. I'll take a wrist shot of the Bullhead tomorrow too, as requested.

Journeyman
    Nice pictures, I would love to have does abilities.

A very Q&D wrist shot of the Bullhead, as promised. My wrist is only 6.75" but it wears pretty well IMO. Oh, and excuse the pyjamas

Stunning collection Tony, very diverse - thanks for sharing.

I'll take a wrist shot of the Bullhead tomorrow too, as requested.
    If we're doing requests, could you snap the rear of the Moser please!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    If we're doing requests, could you snap the rear of the Moser please!! :)
    This any good, Lewis?

Banned
    Interesting recent acquisition spree mate...

I've been with you along your journey, as have others, for some time now and what can't be denied is how cracking and diverse a collection you always have.

I don't listen to all that tosh, when you say how much you love a piece and how you'll never sell it, only to appear on SC shortly afterwards - don't argue, you know it.

But the oddest thing for me is the numbers - too many for you Tony.

Yes, yes, there's many on here with a lot more than you, but most who have say more than five or ten are not as 'perfectly selected' as yours. I mean, there's at least an odd or tatty one or two chucked in there, but yours are all just perfection. So, personally thinking I think your perfect collection size is probably 6-8 and as we both know, it's been there, it's been up, it's been down.

Still, nice collection all the same, I'm just rambling my thoughts about a good mate...
    Last edited by burnsey66; 6th September 2015 at 10:13. Reason: I Can't Spell

Every time the Glashutte appears on the forum, I remember what a great looking watch it is. Good work Tony.