closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling new arrival and a conundrum, to brush or not to brush, that is the question

Breitling new arrival and a conundrum, to brush or not to brush, that is the question

Evening all,

I picked this up off Alex in trade for my Aerospace this weekend and I have to say I'm a very happy chappie I had seen it on the SC for a while and the size of it really appealed to me along with the fact that it has my favourite colour dial and I've always wanted to try one since seeing Dr Pete's Doxa comparison with it many years ago. It's very comfy on the wrist and has a nice weight to it and is about the perfect height on the wrist and it has the added bonus of an HRV valve for when I go deep diving in the bath.

I had every intention of sending it straight to Gingerboy and have the whole case and bracelet brushed because bling is not my thing but a vey strange thing happened that surprised me ........... I gave the watch a full wash and then started to polish it to make it more shiny including taping up the bracelet and polishing the shiny link edges and the shine is really growing on me

So what do you reckon, brush or leave alone ???????????

SUPER_FULL by WORKSIMON, on Flickr

SUPER_FACE by WORKSIMON, on Flickr

SUPER_CROWN by WORKSIMON, on Flickr

SUPER_HRV by WORKSIMON, on Flickr

SUPER_CLASP by WORKSIMON, on Flickr

SUPER_BACK by WORKSIMON, on Flickr

Next up is painting the missing black on the bezel ...................
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

I think brushing it goes against the character of the watch
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

How about just brushing the bracelet centre links Si?

Craftsman
    Nice job, looks great as it was intended to be. So glad you bought this one, I really don't need another orange watch!

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I think brushing it goes against the character of the watch
    I get your point Dave, keeping it as intended, and once it's brushed it's harder to get back to original if needed. But it might look pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    How about just brushing the bracelet centre links Si?
    Alex, I'm afraid my pictures are pants but if you look closely you might be able to see that the centre links are indeed already brushed. I've seen the bracelets fully brushed and they do look good.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Nice job, looks great as it was intended to be. So glad you bought this one, I really don't need another orange watch!
    Dave !!!!!!!!!!!! You can never have enough orange watches mate
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

If you want to brush something then I suggest your hair, your teeth or possibly the back yard, but leave the watch alone.

By the way, have you still got that quartz Doxa that came from France?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    If you want to brush something then I suggest your hair, your teeth or possibly the back yard, but leave the watch alone.
    I think I'm picking up a vibe that you think I should leave it shiny as is or have I miss read your suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

By the way, have you still got that quartz Doxa that came from France?
    I do indeed mate, it does not get out as much as it should though
    Cheers

Simon

Blog Entries
    I'd say ;eave it as it is - Breitling Bling all the way! Maybe even sent it off for a complete polish? How is the movement - does it need a service?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I'd say ;eave it as it is - Breitling Bling all the way! Maybe even sent it off for a complete polish? How is the movement - does it need a service?
    Movement appears to be running OK, I've not timed it yet but Alex reckoned it was 5 seconds a day if I remember rightly. I'll beg Gingerboy to do a full polish if I can make my mind up but I need to make sure I don't turn it into a safe queen.
    Cheers

Simon

Banned
    If it works, don't mess with it, or you might be sorry. That is a nice watch. Keep it that way.

I had a superocean professional which was a brushed version and I preferred that finish,but I certainly wouldn't change its appearance,keep it original to the watch

Master
    I have the last incarnation of the coral SuperOcean and love it. Though a polished bracelet is too bling for me I actually agree that it's the character of the watch if you do have it on bracelet. I put mine on a ProIII (black) rubber strap.
    Last edited by Tom-P; 31st August 2015 at 23:31.

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 19:31.

Well I found a picture of a limited edition brushed one and I have to say I don't like it as much as the shiny finish mine is currently adorned with so I think it will stay as is

Link below shows brushed case, it was a special limited edition by Breitling .............................

http://www.donindiano.net/watches/br...uperocean/case
    Cheers

Simon

SuperOcean 1000m was polished, SuperOcean Professional 1500m was brushed.

I have the SO 1000m, polished finish like yours and have left it that way. I probably would wear it more if it was brushed though (and the divers extension link wasn't broken, and the endlinks didn't rattle, and the bezel wasn't loose!)

Its your own watch - so do what you like to it, but Id be inclined to say leave how nature intended in this case - Breitling have never been afraid of a bit of bling and they do it better than many of their peers...

I think I'd like to get it serviced and the crystal replaced (I recall it had some bad scratches on it), especially if you're going to go near water with it.

Otherwise, I'd leave the finish in its original state. A non-original brushed finish might not be to everyone's taste come resale time, and I think it would be harder to achieve polish from brushed than the other way round, if you see what I mean?

Nice looking watch though

Thanks lads ;-)

I am now of the mind to keep it as is, the bling has grown on me rather a lot ;-)))
    Cheers

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I think I'd like to get it serviced and the crystal replaced (I recall it had some bad scratches on it), especially if you're going to go near water with it
    It's keeping pretty blooming good time just now and it was pressure tested recently so I think it will be ok for bath diving and I'll get it serviced if it needs it later. The sales pictures made the crystal look much worse than it is, I thought I'd need a new crystal as the scratches would bug me but in daily use I don't see them at all.
    Cheers

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    It's keeping pretty blooming good time just now and it was pressure tested recently so I think it will be ok for bath diving and I'll get it serviced if it needs it later. The sales pictures made the crystal look much worse than it is, I thought I'd need a new crystal as the scratches would bug me but in daily use I don't see them at all.
    Pressure tested at Timpsons, that famous chain of master horological craftsmen