closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just signed up (aka top of slippery slope) & Rodina advice

Journeyman

Just signed up (aka top of slippery slope) & Rodina advice

Just joined the group, Have been lurking for a while...

I came across the Rodina on this forum thread and like the style and the price!

Was wondering if anyone has bought one recently and can comment on either eBay seller "rainbowriver2013"
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Ro...-/281663227203

or this place:
    http://www.seagullwatchstore.com/Rod...005-s/1834.htm

Also there are versions with (ST1731) and without (ST17) date. Any gotchas with respect to accuracy or reliability? I think I need the date (brain like a sieve) but the non date version looks better

Cheers
    Tom

Master
    Welcome to the forum!

I cannot help much with the Rodina other than saying it is a beautiful design. I have a Antea KS and it looks very similar. In terms of minimalistic designs I would probably go with a non date version.

Welcome to the forum.

These are nice designs but seem very straight copies of European brands most notably Stowa. Ive not tried one but the Stowas on which they are based are good legible watches and Chinese movements are of variable quality but can be very good.

If you want a unique Bauhaus influenced design, from somebody who was there, for that sort of money.

These Riki Wanatabes take some beating,

Journeyman
    Welcome to the forum!

I don't know anything about what makes a Rodina tick but it looks nice. A "homage" to the Nomos Tangente?

http://www.nomos-glashuette.com/the-...ente/tangente/

Master
    A friend of mine bought one recently, although not from fleabay. It's been gaining several seconds a week and was +45 secs after only a few months wear when he handed it to me to look at. I've tried to regulate it without much success so back it has gone to the seller. It's definitely in the best Bauhaus tradition and it's a decent watch for the price in terms of look and feel but I'd rather save up for a Nomos - all of the same design goodness with the added bonus of an in-house movement, which is just astonishing given their price point.

SGR

Journeyman
    I was originally vey taken by the Nomos and Stowa then read some good things about the Rodina, can't argue with the price. I'm really liking the link to Riki Watanabe link. especially with the brown dial.

This part of the eBay description made me chuckle
    "Self-winding renders a pleasant noise in a way similar to Harley Davison."

Quote Originally Posted by eatyourgreens View Post
    I was originally vey taken by the Nomos and Stowa then read some good things about the Rodina, can't argue with the price. I'm really liking the link to Riki Watanabe link. especially with the brown dial.

This part of the eBay description made me chuckle
    "Self-winding renders a pleasant noise in a way similar to Harley Davison."
    Reminiscent to the "pleasant and gradual warmth" one experiences when shot in the arm?

Welcome along.

I recommended Rodina to a friend who wanted to buy a watch for his best man - who is very particular about his likes when it comes to the design of a watch.

It was fine for a while, though he was frustrated by the noise of the movement on his bedside table at night, which he said kept him awake.

Then, after maybe 9 months the hour hand fell off. He says he had not bashed it or anything - he literally picked it up one morning to put it on and it fell off before his eyes.

The timekeeping was also poor.

Maybe he just had a dodgy one but it's probably worth just sharing the tale to let you know what can happen!

Enjoy TZ-UK - it's great here!

Toby

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    A friend of mine bought one recently, although not from fleabay. It's been gaining several seconds a week and was +45 secs after only a few months wear when he handed it to me to look at. I've tried to regulate it without much success so back it has gone to the seller. It's definitely in the best Bauhaus tradition and it's a decent watch for the price in terms of look and feel but I'd rather save up for a Nomos - all of the same design goodness with the added bonus of an in-house movement, which is just astonishing given their price point.

SGR
    Are you serious? +45 secs after a few months and that wasn't good enough? Considering a COSC spec watch can gain 4 secs per day, then I'd say your mate's watch was pretty bloody accurate and didn't need you to regulate it. Unless I've missed something?

Journeyman
    Cheers Toby,
    I bet their QA is much more lax than more expensive european watches. Prob you can get a gem that lasts for years and keeps great time or a friday afternoon job that is problematic, I guess you get what you pay for.

Onelasttime, I thought a few seconds a week was pretty acceptable too, not quite sure what is expected of an automatic watch of that price though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Are you serious? +45 secs after a few months and that wasn't good enough? Considering a COSC spec watch can gain 4 secs per day, then I'd say your mate's watch was pretty bloody accurate and didn't need you to regulate it. Unless I've missed something?
    I believe COSC to be -4 to +6 per day. He simply asked me to have a look at it after 2 months and I obliged. Some people have managed to regulate these seagull movements to well within COSC and I found the movement to be misbehaving when I started to regulate it, hence the return to the seller. My point is simply that the OP should proceed with caution with this brand, as subsequent contributors to this thread have also noted. Relax.

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by eatyourgreens View Post
    Cheers Toby,
    I bet their QA is much more lax than more expensive european watches. Prob you can get a gem that lasts for years and keeps great time or a friday afternoon job that is problematic, I guess you get what you pay for.

Onelasttime, I thought a few seconds a week was pretty acceptable too, not quite sure what is expected of an automatic watch of that price though!
    45 secs per week is still pretty good in watches costing 10 x the Rodina. What have you got to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I believe COSC to be -4 to +6 per day. He simply asked me to have a look at it after 2 months and I obliged. Some people have managed to regulate these seagull movements to well within COSC and I found the movement to be misbehaving when I started to regulate it, hence the return to the seller. My point is simply that the OP should proceed with caution with this brand, as subsequent contributors to this thread have also noted. Relax.

SGR
    But are you suggesting 45 secs gain in 2 months is unacceptable? It seems to have been working fine until you attempted to regulate it for no good reason.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    But are you suggesting 45 secs gain in 2 months is unacceptable? It seems to have been working fine until you attempted to regulate it for no good reason.
    Not unacceptable but certainly open to improvement. There were also issues with the second hand occasionally sticking and the crown not engaging consistently. Yes, I know what I'm doing. No, I did not ham-fistedly bugger it up. Again, relax.

SGR

Journeyman
    Raysablade, thanks for tip about Riki watanabe but after some investigation and contacting the supplier you linked to it seems it is discontinued and unavailable, if anyone knows somewhere that has stock I would be interested to hear,
    Cheers

45 seconds in two months, i.e. 0.75 seconds a day?! Sounds pretty incredible to me for any watch, let alone one with an inexpensive Chinese movement.

I have two Rodinas and whilst the quality is not up to the standards of my Stowa Antea (as you would expect) they're pretty good for the money. They've been totally reliable so far, with one running at +10 a day and the other +12. By no means the most accurate watches in my collection, but I can live with it.

I bought one for a friends birthday, out of the box it was gaining a minute a day. Took me 4 days to regulate it to +20 sec....trial and error with Twixt

Journeyman
    Thanks, I'll take a punt and track one down, I think they look great.
    In the meantime I got one of these, Braun GMT with a brown strap. Good functional quartz with a nice dash of German about it.

http://www.braun-clocks.com/watch/BN0142