closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Unitas 6497 Clean & rebuild

Unitas 6497 Clean & rebuild

If you have some spare time this BH, this clip from YouTube may appeal. It's the strip down, clean and rebuild of a Unitas 6497 - much of it in high macro format. For a prosaic movement, I still find it interesting to see the amount of work required to take one of these apart and then return it to a clean, working condition. Highlights for me were; the use of tiny baskets for the smaller parts, the re-winding and fitting the main spring into the barrel (he's done that before) and the oiling of the escape while the watch was running. I hope you find it as enjoyable as I did.

Enjoyable and interesting indeed. Thanks for posting. Nice to see whats going around inside my Archimede, albeit a 6498-2......

F.T.F.A.

That was great to watch, thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Enjoyable and interesting indeed. Thanks for posting. Nice to see what's going around inside my Archimede, albeit a 6498-2......

Thanks and I've always liked the Archimede offerings; the Outdoor, their Explorer equivalent and the very nice Marine you have. Roland Kemmner also has several Marines using the Unitas 6498, likewise with a display back.

Grand Master
    Excellent video, anyone who has any interest in mechanical watches should make a point of viewing this.

As for lubricating the escapement with the watch running, it's not something I`d do, there's too much risk of the oil going where you don`t want it to. It may just be feasible on a large movement like this but I wouldn`t risk it on anything smaller.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Thanks and I've always liked the Archimede offerings; the Outdoor, their Explorer equivalent and the very nice Marine you have. Roland Kemmner also has several Marines using the Unitas 6498, likewise with a display back.
    I was considering one of Kemners Marine models, but the Archimede came up on SC at a good price, especially as the 6498-2 had been fitted at extra expense, an upgrade which is no longer available. I bought it to test the water re size before possibly ordering a Dornbluth in the future, but for now the Archimede has scratched the itch for a deck watch.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Fascinating video. The dexterity and patience is mind boggling.