closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wife's mistake (but she got away with it)

Wife's mistake (but she got away with it)

My son picked up his new car yesterday and the wife set up the insurance midweek so that it would start at midnight Friday. As with most insurance companies now you can check the policy docs online so yesterday I took a quick look just to make sure all was well, I only noted the reg and start date which were both correct. This morning my son and I opened up the policy to check that the wife and myself were on there but noticed for some reason that when my wife set it up she set the value at £12k instead of £14k.

I was instantly filled with dread as my automatic assumption was that the premium would increase and when the woman on the phone also advised me that my wife had set his birth year to 1996 instead of 1997 I started to panic.
    She update the info and I was expecting the worst but to my complete amazement the policy dropped by £10!! How the flying hell can this happen? The policy was update with a year younger driver and more expensive to the tune of £2000 but is cheaper.

I can understand factors of a new car being cheaper as they are safer and so personal injury claims should be reduced, but surely the items that dictate a policy are cost of vehicle and driver age. Perhaps the assumption is that at 17 you would be more cautious whereas an 18 yr old may not be.?

Anyway, upshot is that the wife is now breathing a huge sigh whereas if it was my cock up the price would of shot up £2000

FFF

Haha. Insurance and the mystical world of numbers.

I embarrassingly got done for speeding (4 mph too fast) so got 3 points on my licence.
    Told my insurer when it happened, and then when my renewal came around, it dropped by the same value as my fine . Go figure?

I could never work out why my insurance as a 19yr old was less than my 55yr old Dad, living at the same address for the same car. Random number generators sometimes it seems

I think the days of trying to make sense of insurance costs are long gone, They charge what they think they can get away with and can change it on a whim....

Makes perfect sense... When I first moved to the UK I bought a car and drove it and insured it for a year on my US licence (with a UK insurance company). When I got my UK licence, I called the insurance company to let them know. They suddenly wouldn't insure me at all as I was now a "new driver". I tried to point out that I was still the exact same person, with the exact same car, but their computer said no, and that was that.